PDA

View Full Version : Studio 60

Buzzkill
09-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Just watched the series premiere (Tivo) and I have to say I really enjoyed it, its good to see that Matthew Perry can play a character other than Chandler.

The jewish dad from Independence Day was the shit, too.

Blitz
09-29-2006, 03:02 AM
Yeah, good series.

Nathan Corddry :love:

Buzzkill
09-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Nate Corddry is the man.

Boondock Saint
09-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Good shit.

Hanso Amore
10-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Very good, I just realized it is made by the Sports Night Crew, one of my fav shows ever.

ct2k
10-02-2006, 05:48 AM
I saw a trailer for this about a month back on tv over here, they only showed it a few times just after the West Wing finished for good. I figure you can't go wrong with Whitford and Perry but I won't know til the new year:mad:

loopydate
10-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Very good, I just realized it is made by the Sports Night Crew, one of my fav shows ever.

That was the reason I started watching in the first place. Aaron Sorkin is, hands down, the best writer in television today. And all-time, he's probably among the top five. And when his words are paired with Thomas Schlamme's direction (not to mention a phenomenal cast. Sarah Paulson :love: ), that's a recipe for great TV.

Two episodes in, this is already the best show on television.

Boondock Saint
10-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Personally, I think Sarah Paulson is the worst part of the show. And that lisp is incredibly distracting.

I also never got into Sports Night. I dunno, it just didn't grab me. West Wing I enjoyed, but stopped watching when Sorkin left.

Blitz
10-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Harriet is my 3rd fave character, after Matt and Jordan's boss (Jack, I believe).

Boondock Saint
10-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Another good episode. :y: Although for a show that is supposed to be really popular/funny, a lot of the sketches they were putting on seemed really unfunny. But maybe it's just because they were out of context.

Hanso Amore
10-03-2006, 08:20 PM
I didnt really even pay attention to the sketches. They are not really any part ofthe show, it would be the same show without em. I did think the opening musical number last week was funny.

RoXer
10-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah good series

Avenger
10-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Probably one of the few genuine instant classics in TV history. After the pilot I think we all knew this show was going to be huge.

Matthew Perry will be one of the biggest stars in Hollywood before long. Not that he isn't huge already but he is so talented and so much bigger than Friends. Best thing to come out of Friends.

Boondock Saint
10-14-2006, 07:20 PM
This show may not be around for long. The ratings continually decrease week after week...too bad. I wouldn't be surprised if NBC moved it to another night before axing it.

Avenger
10-15-2006, 06:50 AM
fucking stupid TV networks always do this with quality shows.

How come the best shows on TV always get axed.

loopydate
10-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Because people don't watch smart shows. They'd rather watch fat guys with hot wives driving delivery trucks. Or cartoons with talking babies and dogs whose writers can't come up with an original joke to save their lives.

The same thing happened to Sorkin's first network show. ABC got scared when Sports Night wasn't drawing huge ratings and pulled the plug. At least SN had the luxury of lasting two years, though.

Mr. Aristocrat
10-16-2006, 01:34 PM
That's terrible, Studio 60 is the best show on the air currently. I fuckin love it. And it drew in huge numbers the first week, no way they pull it, it's still doing fine in the ratings.

Avenger
10-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately it's not. And panning the show is now the "in" thing to do for the usual array of talentless TV columnists.

Boondock Saint
10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Here's some info about the status of the show. From http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/content/accent/epaper/2006/10/16/a1d_featv_kevin_col_1016.html

--------------------------------------------------------------
While NBC's programming suits aren't happy with Studio 60's disappointing showing so far, the network says it's not even close to killing the high-profile series.
"There is a core audience that loves it," NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly told The New York Times.

But there's more to the explanation than that. Money, as always, is the main reason why NBC is hesitant to squeeze the cancellation trigger.
Studio 60 attracts the educated and rich viewers (household incomes of $100,000 and up) that Madison Avenue craves. Advertisers love affluent viewers who are willing to empty their wallets after watching a bunch of commercials.

Also, NBC reportedly paid a $2 million license fee per episode, which is about one-third higher than an average network drama, and committed to at least 13 episodes.
If NBC axed Studio 60 now, it would be responsible for paying a hefty penalty to Warner Bros., the studio that produces the show.

And no network likes to pony up a considerable amount of change when it doesn't have to.

So NBC will keep its fingers — and toes — crossed that more viewers will eventually warm up to Sorkin's engaging drama.
-----------------------------------------------------

Avenger
10-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Thank God for that. But who ever believed ANYTHING that a TV network said?

Boondock Saint
10-17-2006, 10:39 PM
What About Brian (a show that was pretty much DOA last year, yet got a shocking renewal) beat Studio 60 in the ratings last night. Despite what the article I posted above said, I highly doubt NBC are going to be happy with that. This show still hasn't received a full season order I don't think, so I dunno what's gonna happen. :-\

Heroes as a lead-in show prolly isn't the best thing either, IMO.

wwe2222
10-18-2006, 06:58 AM
I hope they dont axe it....Ive really gotten into it and the whole behind the scenes aspect of it. One of the few shows I bother to TIVO and make sure I dont miss.

Avenger
10-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Monday's show was awesome. Closing on Fields of Gold was magic. What a great shot with Sting on stage and Matt on the balcony.

loopydate
10-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Sorkin writes musical moments extremely well. Remember Josh's freak-out during Yo-Yo Ma's White House concert? Or the episode of Sports Night when Dan and the homeless guy watch the Everest crew while "The Weight" plays in the background? Or when the WW crew is headed to Mrs. Landingham's funeral to the tune of Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms?"

RoXer
11-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Good episode. Again. I really hope they don't cancel this series.

Blitz
11-28-2006, 03:55 PM
It's been picked up for a full season.

RoXer
11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Wonderful :love:

El Vaquero de Infierno
11-28-2006, 06:33 PM
We need this over in the UK... like, now!