PDA

View Full Version : Where did things start to go wrong?

Jeritron
09-30-2006, 03:07 AM
This topic is to see where you guys think WWE started to go downhill. Granted, I still love WWE more than anything in the world and think they have great talent. In 98/99 and most of 2000, things were ideal. The attitude era, and all that jazz. But where along the way did things start to go wrong? where did things get lost and what was screwed up?

-For me, the first thing that started this downfall was the return of austin in late 2000, not because of Austin, but because you still had Rock, HHH, Taker was back, and now you have too many cheifs and not enough indians. This was at a time when Angle, Jericho, and Benoit were WAY over and ready to be top names.
-The who hit Austin storyline. Heres a great oppurtunity to counter some of the negative effects of what I said above. But no, they have it be Rikishi of all people and then have to fall back on HHH because the storyline is bombing. It could have been anyone from Jericho, Benoit, simply Kurt Angle or Rock (could have been dragged out and used for WM17 ME), or even Tazz who was teriibly used. Huge dropping of the ball. So that sucked, Kurt Angles reign ended and he was back down for a while. Jericho and Benoits pushes amounted to nothing and they were back down for the remainder of 2000.

-Post WM17: Now you have Austin as this touchy feely heel with Vince and HHH is back to IC status? Good part is Benoit and Jericho are getting pushed. But the whole thing is screwed up. Cue the Invasion storyline, one of the worst executed things of all time. A watered down WCW invaded WWE. The fued is filled with crappy booking. Half of the Alliance is WWE guys, DDP/Taker never even had a one on one match in that fued. ECW was immediately made henchmen.

-Jericho. Great its time to push him as a champion, theres no denying it any longer, Lets Screw it up!!! Lets make a guy whos WAAAY over with the fans a heel for his first reign, but not just any heel. A heel who is cheap and doesnt get clean victories, and lets put him with Stephanie Mcmahon, so he can be secondary to her and her husband who can bury him. Lets see, Jerichos a superface about to get his first shot at the bigtime, HHH is one of the most effective superheels of all time. How should we book it? Either way lets put Stephanie in the middle and focus the fued around her and Hunter. fuckin bullshit.

-Time for NWO. Another fans dream come true. How can it possibly be screwed up? We'll come to find out as the NWO is built for a PPV, but instead of teasing their arrival and them making a ruthless return. They come right out and cut a shitty promo, and then get involved later on in a lackluster way. Then we'll slap Austin in the face by having Hogan fued with Rock,. and have the nwo angle end as soon as possible. After burying Jericho for HHH, lets have him job the title to Hogan a month later, adn then to taker, and rock. After all, WWEs propensity to put over young talent instead of catering to the veterans is what kept them ahead. Yet suddenly it makes sense to keep Jericho Booker T RVD Kurt Angle down in favor of something they once sought to destroy.

From here on in HHHs backstage stroke would lead to him dominating the title picture practically forever, and on the other side of brand extension Brock would be the only guy to get a break before he up and left. Jericho would never get another crack at things, Benoit got his time to shine and so did RVD (for a couple weeks) and finally Booker T and Rey etc. but it seems like it never can right the wrongs, so I guess its water under the bridge and the future is all that matters.

I'm sorry, I just really had to vent that.

Rammsteinmad
09-30-2006, 05:31 AM
Good post, although it's all common knowledge around here and has been said a thousand times over. :y:

Rammsteinmad
09-30-2006, 05:32 AM
Oh, just noticed you're new here, so I'll let you off.

Lara Emily
09-30-2006, 05:34 AM
The WWE went down hill with the Invasion angle and never really recovered. Though the Smackdown 6 was a bright point (probably the last consisten bright point)

Jeritron
09-30-2006, 05:40 AM
I was watching WM18 and just really needed to get it off my chest, figured maybe I'd make some discussion about how you guys would have booked Who hit Austin? The invasion and nwo angles back in the day

Jordan
09-30-2006, 07:53 AM
I think everything really feel apart because of the Invasion, I could explain it but we all know.

Jordan
09-30-2006, 07:54 AM
And who hit austin? I would have told the truth, he was injured, then brough out Tazz instead of the Big Show and made him the new champ.

Jeritron
09-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Taz is one of the most disapointing things ever. His debut was built, he snapped Angles undefeated streak, then what? nothing. The high point of his WWE in ring career was when he was ECW champ and challenged HHH for the belt.
He should have immediately made a singles push in WWE and eventually moved into the IC title picture. The most embarassing thing ever was him being part of a crappy 13man hardcore battle royal in his 3rd month...and not even winning.
He fit like a hand into a custom made glove for the Who hit Austin angle. He was a thug type, it was his M.O., he was signed by WWE and about to debut right around the time of the incident. He'd mesh great with Austin and the fued with have been memorable, then he could have been part of the late 2000 title matches. Even if it amounted to nothing and he went down to midcard at least you'd have used him for something great in the main event for a little and then used him as a solid IC champ. sigh.

Morgan
09-30-2006, 09:01 AM
I figured the most embarrassing moment for Tazz was being eliminated in 6 seconds by kane in the 2001 Rumble.

Jordan
09-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Im gonna make a post about Tazz now, he was the shit.

Londoner
09-30-2006, 12:06 PM
When Vince started hiring writers who knew nothing about wrestling, thats where it all went wrong.

Mr. JL
09-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Things started to go wrong once WCW and ECW folded.

Londoner
09-30-2006, 12:20 PM
^ That's true.

El Fangel
09-30-2006, 12:23 PM
yeah once WWE had no competition to top, they could do whatever they wanted, because wrestling fans only had one mainstream choice left :(

FakeLaser
09-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Wrestling has good years and bad years. There's no consistent decline, more peaks and valleys. Wrestling doesn't really "jump the shark" it's more cyclical.

Pepsi Man
09-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Tazz wasn't wrestling for the WWE yet as of Survivor Series 1999. I think he had made his WWE deal, and thus was jobbed out in ECW, but I think he still had time left in ECW at that point.

Skippord
09-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Triple H holding the title for 12 years

Kane Knight
09-30-2006, 05:37 PM
To be honest, it went wrong when a bunch of carnies got a major TV deal.

Vince has always been full of himself and convinced his way was best. If anything, the Attitude Era heightened this, but did nothing to create it.

hb2k
09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
For what it's worth, Paul Heyman predicted in February 2001 that WrestleMania 17 would be the biggest PPV of all time, but then the downward trend would start immediately after. He was right, although realistically, had WWF been properly prepared, it could have been avoided.

Kane Knight
09-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Vince has never read the writing on the wall.

Fox
10-01-2006, 03:54 AM
When Rock left for movies and Austin was sidelined indefinitely around the same time, and with Mick Foley long since retired, everything kind of fell apart because everything was centered around Triple H.

Not even Goldberg could save 2003. And WWE still hasn't fully recovered.

Crippla
10-01-2006, 06:18 AM
In my opinion, everything just went completely downhill after the invasion angle when they had all kinds of talent from the WCW and ECW and didn't know what to do with it. Not to mention they just got lazy without competition. I'd say 2002 was the worst year.

Londoner
10-01-2006, 06:21 AM
When Rock left for movies and Austin was sidelined indefinitely around the same time, and with Mick Foley long since retired, everything kind of fell apart because everything was centered around Triple H.

Not even Goldberg could save 2003. And WWE still hasn't fully recovered.

That's an easy way of looking it, the writers/Vince are mainly to blame for nto building up enough stars, also the roster split has been a key factor in WWE going downhill imo.

Hanso Amore
10-01-2006, 07:16 AM
That's an easy way of looking it, the writers/Vince are mainly to blame for nto building up enough stars, also the roster split has been a key factor in WWE going downhill imo.

True.

It went from having a main evnt picture of UT, Kane, Rock, HHH, Austin, Angle, jericho, and guys like Beniot and RVD coming up, then it just had 2 stars per show if that. Its easier to keep the title scene fresh with more names involved. You nver had 5 PPVs in a row with the same main evnt back then, now Cena hasnt been out of the scene in 2 years, and in that long time, he has had like what, 4 opponents?

Its Crap.

Crippla
10-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Yeah, that's why I think they should kill the roster split at this point for SmackDown! and Raw. Keep ECW, it's great so far.

Mr. Nerfect
10-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I personally think the WWE fucked up when they created the Two Man Power Trip. The Undertaker and Kane/Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit were over, but tag team wrestling has never been a major specialty of the WWE. THey kind of blew this angle big time. They really should have realised that with two of their top three left (Austin, Rock, Helmsley), and with a babyface turning megaheel, a shift was needed. I honestly believe that is what they were planning, as the last time we saw Triple H in a WWE ring in 2001, he got hit in the gut with a sledgehammer by Austin. I ask the question: Why even make these two bitter enemies friends in the first place? It just upsets the momentum. Look at this timeline:

-Royal Rumble 2001: Stone Cold Steve Austin pushes the limits like Hell to eliminate Kane from the 2001 Royal Rumble.

-No Way Out 2001: Triple H defeats Stone Cold Steve Austin cleanly in a classic 3 Stages of Hell Match.

-No Way Out 2001: The Rock defeats Kurt Angle in a classic match to win his record-breaking sixth WWE Championship.

-WrestleMania X7: Stone Cold Steve Austin cheats his ass off to win his fifth WWE Championship.

Just looking at that scenario, we can gather some things. We can gather that The Rock is a good guy, kind of the Babe Ruth of professional wrestling, Austin is kind of in his shadow, and can no longer defeat The Rock (who had not yet even entered his prime) cleanly. We can also gather that Kane is one tough son of a bitch, and Triple H is also better than Austin.

The logical feuds for Austin after WrestleMania were vs. Triple H, vs. Kane and vs. The Undertaker. The WWE has purchased WCW by then, but it probably wouldn't have been worth bringing it back until the ratings began to flounder. I'd have have Shane tease it, and then wait until his feud with Kurt Angle was over before he continued. The WWE could have easily gone on to Survivor Series without bringing in the WCW guys. They could have put them in OVW to help get talent shaped, etc. Then have Shane McMahon lead a bunch of WCW guys against WWE guys when the heat died down a little.

Austin's reign as heel WWE Champion never really took off before they jumped the gun on the Invasion angle.

Londoner
10-01-2006, 09:13 AM
^ Its easier to just say the fault is with Vince/the so-called creative team. It doesn't have to be one specific point where they fucked up, the bottom line is they have fucked up loads of times, and that's where the problem lies: Talentless writers who are only in the business because they know the right people.

Kane Knight
10-01-2006, 09:36 AM

I think it was well on its way down before then.