PDA

View Full Version : Will Kurt Angle actaully help TNA to the next level?

BigDaddyCool
10-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Will Kurt Angle actaully help TNA to the next level? Now I'm probably the first person here to admit to Kurt's divinity, but will he being on TNA's roster actaully get them anywhere? My argument is no. It may in the short run, but this is mostly the old WCW approach. TNA already has enough big names from Sting to Steiner to Jarrett, adding Angle alone will not help. It will cause the shock and awe of Scott Hall appearing on Nitro, but TNA isn't smart enough to capitalize on it the way Bischoff did.

The only way that an old broken down Angle can help TNA is if they build him up to a mythical status, which really should not be hard because WWE did most of the work for them. Then have Angle take the NWA title from Jarrett in a matter of weeks. Hold on to said title all the while building up a singles star from the lower ranks like Jay Lethal or better yet, Eric Young. Yeah, Eric Young would be prefect for it. Build him up as an unlikely contender. Be the guy to finally take the belt off Angle (only have Angle defend it like once a month at most). Then TNA could actaully have home grown talent.

BTW, I think that is WWE's greatest asset/strength is the whole homegrown talent aspect. I mean there are only some many story you can tell, and even less that can take place in the realm of wrestling. The only real new thing you can do with change or tweak the characters.

McLegend
10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Eric young and Jay Lethal would be terrible candiates to take the title off of Angle. Especially Jay Lethal.

Answer to the question though is yeah I think Angle can take TNA to the next level. Now if the next level is WWE's level then no it's gonna take more then Angle.

If the next level is a couple rating points higher, and to keep people talking about TNA then I think Angle is your guy.

BigDaddyCool
10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Eric young and Jay Lethal would be terrible candiates to take the title off of Angle. Especially Jay Lethal.

Answer to the question though is yeah I think Angle can take TNA to the next level. Now if the next level is WWE's level then no it's gonna take more then Angle.

If the next level is a couple rating points higher, and to keep people talking about TNA then I think Angle is your guy.

K, who would you have being the guy to take the title off Angle? I think the startagy is still sound though.

Also, if the who goal is to keep people talking about TNA and get ratings a couple points higher...is Kurt Angle really worth it? From as I understand he is the highest paid guy in TNA and he hasn't done more than made a commersial.

BigDaddyCool
10-04-2006, 01:15 PM
BTW, TNA needs to update their site. They still have Jeff Hardy shit for sale. Plus is Kevin Nash still techincally with the company?

McLegend
10-04-2006, 01:23 PM
K, who would you have being the guy to take the title off Angle? I think the startagy is still sound though.

Also, if the who goal is to keep people talking about TNA and get ratings a couple points higher...is Kurt Angle really worth it? From as I understand he is the highest paid guy in TNA and he hasn't done more than made a commersial.
I would have Joe or AJ take that title off of Angle.

There is no doubt in my mind Angle is worth it. Angle should be the highest paid guy in TNA. He gives TNA legitimacy, and there is alot of dream matches that Angle can do. Then again I could be wrong it could end up being Sting all over again. IMO Sting hasn't been worth the money. So really we will have to wait a few months before we have the answer.

AS of right now though Angle has been worth it with all the buzz that he has created for TNA.

McLegend
10-04-2006, 01:24 PM
BTW, TNA needs to update their site. They still have Jeff Hardy shit for sale. Plus is Kevin Nash still techincally with the company?
Technically he is with the company since he hasn't been anywhere else.

Afterlife
10-04-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't understand Kurt at all.

Stickman
10-04-2006, 02:15 PM
He will take TNA to the next level, but what is the next level? Bringing in Casual fans I would say.

St. Jimmy
10-04-2006, 02:25 PM
IMO, casual fans will hate TNA. It has no non-wrestling entertainment value.

Jordan
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
I don't agree with you BDC. I really like where they are going with Angle. Sting will win at Bound For Glory and then feud with Joe for a while. Angle will be feuding with Christian. Angle ends up taking the title from Joe or Sting. I think that would work.

BigDaddyCool
10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
IMO, casual fans will hate TNA. It has no non-wrestling entertainment value.

Interesting point. But I think the real weakness to its entertainment value for casual fans is A.J. Styles...well no, that isn't fair. It is all of the cruiserwieght indy workers they have really, who are best represented by A.J. Styles, at least in my mind.

All the TNA indy workers strive to be super awesome in the ring. And we all know being super awesome in the ring doesn't sell tickets or get the causal fan into it. Being super awesome in the ring is always a plus, but none of them have character that is unique to themselves, they are all the same. The only reason I named Jay Lethal and Eric Young is because I know who they are. Eric has a pretty good gimmick going right now, and Jay Lethal is the black guy. The rest of them all have generic names (hell Eric Young is prett generic too), generic ring attire, flashy move sets with unrealistic moves even for wrestling (but they all have them so they become generic movesets by default) and pretty much no gimmick. News flash, having the announcers calling you the Canadian Destroyer is not a gimmick.

Now if they were start getting the guys to be more unique, not all of them can be young pissed off badasses with a chip all the shoulder trying to prove how good they are to the world. Also, being the ethinic verision of the pissed off up and comer doesn't count as unique either, that's right I'm talking to LAX, Senshi, and Sonjay Dutt.

Plus, to get more casual fans, it would help if Jeff Jarrett was kept away from title for a while, and the title stayed on a guy for longer than 2 or 3 months.

BigDaddyCool
10-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't agree with you BDC. I really like where they are going with Angle. Sting will win at Bound For Glory and then feud with Joe for a while. Angle will be feuding with Christian. Angle ends up taking the title from Joe or Sting. I think that would work.

I guess, but having Angle fued with Christian in TNA is about as original as Angle fueding with Orton in ECW.

Jeritron
10-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I'd love to watch Christian vs Angle, but I think a big wrestlers debut match in a new company should be with someone hes never faced before, it makes for more hype.

St. Jimmy
10-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Interesting point. But I think the real weakness to its entertainment value for casual fans is A.J. Styles

That was pretty much perfect right there. Rest of the argument was true, and good, but that first sentance was perfect.

BigDaddyCool
10-04-2006, 03:17 PM
That was pretty much perfect right there. Rest of the argument was true, and good, but that first sentance was perfect.

Yeah, I have been hating on A.J. Styles since before it was cool to hate on A.J. "Faggot" Styles.

Jordan
10-04-2006, 03:58 PM
I guess, but having Angle fued with Christian in TNA is about as original as Angle fueding with Orton in ECW.

Thats how I felt about it, but after thinking on it a few days I really think that it works out quite well. Angle feuding with Christian brings Christian's dying heat back, meanwhile it gives time for Sting to feud with Joe (heel joe v.s sting would be like Sting v.s Vader times infinite), and Double J feuds with Eric Young. There you are having three great main event feuds that can really sell.

Jordan
10-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Look at this potential...

TNA Main Event feuds - Anlge/Christain, Sting/Joe, Young/Jarrett

X Division - Senshi, Aj, Christopher Daniels, Austin Starr, and all the other great competitors they have

Then the TNA mid card possibilitys are crazy too - Abyss, Rhino, Steiner, on and on and on.

As well with AMW, Naturals, LAX, and Team 3-D comming back... I don't know TNA is stacked right now and is gonna fuck WWE in its sleep.

BigDaddyCool
10-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Look at this potential...

TNA Main Event feuds - Anlge/Christain, Sting/Joe, Young/Jarrett

X Division - All the same guy with just different ethinicity here and there

Then the TNA mid card possibilitys are crazy too - Abyss, Rhino, Steiner, on and on and on.

As well with AMW, Naturals, LAX, and Team 3-D comming back... I don't know TNA is stacked right now and is gonna fuck WWE in its sleep.

There fixed it.

FourFifty
10-04-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't think Kurt, as a single person, will help TNA get to "The Next Level"

As part of a unit, maybe. TNA has hope, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like TNA. Kurt vs Joe could be Joe's first loss in 23 seconds. Kurt taking a younger guy under is wing would be cool. Hell, TNA could make a stable out of WWE wrestlers. The James Gang, Cage, Rhino, and Kurt could talk about the star power they had, and how they're not in TNA for the money, they're in it to show TNA what real wrestlers are made of. Have them fued with Jeff Jarrett, Abyss, Raven, and LAX or something. You don't need to pick the wrestlers like that, I'm just saying that idea would be worth tivo-ing TNA.

And for everyone saying that TNA is going to break down WWE, well, I've got <strike>two</strike> Three words for ya!!!!

Are you high?

BigDaddyCool
10-04-2006, 04:38 PM
I can see how Christian, Rhino, and Angle could have fit together...well before Christian turned on Rhino anyhow. But James Gang? Seriously? Outside of once being part of WWE, they don't really have any history like Christian, Angle and Rhino do. Plus Rhino is more ECW alimuni that happened to be in WWE for a while just like the Dudleys and Raven.

Mr. Aristocrat
10-04-2006, 04:41 PM
LMAO! Seriously you guys. TNA has only on a few rare occassions broke the 1.0 ratings. You think Angle showing up is going to scare Vince McMahon? WWE is a name product. People who don't watch wrestling know WWE. It could be the best fucking show in the world, but most people don't even know there is such a thing as TNA. The "Next level" isn't challenging Vince McMahon, it's getting a fan base larger than ECW had when it went backrupt. Will Kurt bring in new fans? I am sure he will. My guess is an average of 50,000 fans a week. And that's betting on the heavy side. Angle is great, but casuals don't suck his dick like the internet people do. Plus, let's be honest here, TNA can't book a card to save their fucking life. They could have Hogan, Austin, Goldberg, and The Rock all agree to do their final matches ever at the next PPV, and they STILL would somehow manage to fuck it up.

FourFifty
10-04-2006, 04:46 PM
TNA will make it to the next level, just to find out the princess is in another castle :nono:

BigDaddyCool
10-04-2006, 04:53 PM
TNA will make it to the next level, just to find out the princess is in another castle :nono:

Pffffffft, she isn't in another castle, they find out said princess is in another game because they have been playing Sonic the Hedgehog.

FourFifty
10-04-2006, 05:05 PM
I can see how Christian, Rhino, and Angle could have fit together...well before Christian turned on Rhino anyhow. But James Gang? Seriously? Outside of once being part of WWE, they don't really have any history like Christian, Angle and Rhino do. Plus Rhino is more ECW alimuni that happened to be in WWE for a while just like the Dudleys and Raven.

How to explain this one... hmmmm.....

You don't need to pick the wrestlers like that, I'm just saying that idea would be worth tivo-ing TNA.

That's how it works.

Skippord
10-05-2006, 01:52 AM
I'd have Alex Shelley take it off him

Vastardikai
10-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Interesting point. But I think the real weakness to its entertainment value for casual fans is A.J. Styles...well no, that isn't fair. It is all of the cruiserwieght indy workers they have really, who are best represented by A.J. Styles, at least in my mind.

All the TNA indy workers strive to be super awesome in the ring. And we all know being super awesome in the ring doesn't sell tickets or get the causal fan into it. Being super awesome in the ring is always a plus, but none of them have character that is unique to themselves, they are all the same. The only reason I named Jay Lethal and Eric Young is because I know who they are. Eric has a pretty good gimmick going right now, and Jay Lethal is the black guy. The rest of them all have generic names (hell Eric Young is prett generic too), generic ring attire, flashy move sets with unrealistic moves even for wrestling (but they all have them so they become generic movesets by default) and pretty much no gimmick. News flash, having the announcers calling you the Canadian Destroyer is not a gimmick.

Now if they were start getting the guys to be more unique, not all of them can be young pissed off badasses with a chip all the shoulder trying to prove how good they are to the world. Also, being the ethinic verision of the pissed off up and comer doesn't count as unique either, that's right I'm talking to LAX, Senshi, and Sonjay Dutt.

Plus, to get more casual fans, it would help if Jeff Jarrett was kept away from title for a while, and the title stayed on a guy for longer than 2 or 3 months.

I'd like to see a guy enter the X-Division with a gimmick like this: I don't need to do the aerial shit to be a star. I'll do it on my own terms.

The guy comes out, dressed in long tights and boots, no kickpads. He more or less cuts a promo about how he doesn't like the X-Division wrestlers who look alike, dress alike, move alike, and, most importantly, Wrestle alike. He also shits on the Kickpads and Spandex Shorts that seem to be the uniform of the entire X-Division. He could probably pull of legit heel heat with that, if he can talk.

Then, when the match starts, he's more or less a straight ahead brawler, who just moves out of the way of high spots, and favors doing Old fashioned wrestling. I'm talking picks a body part, wears it down for the finish, that makes sense. If the other guy doesn't know what selling means, work a little stiffer. Not injure the guy, but if the arm bar starts hurting the shoulder a little bit, maybe they can figure out "maybe I should act like my arm hurts." Not necessarily not do High Spots at all and stick to rest holds, you have to understand. I'd rather see a match with 5 spots that tell the story for the match than 34 spots that just lead into another spot. It will make the big moves seem bigger.

Sure, Jack Evans is big shit because he can do a 630. When some guy busts out a 810 off the top rope, will anyone remember Evans? Does anybody remember the first guy to do a 450 on Mainstream American Wrestling?

Mr. Aristocrat
10-05-2006, 02:30 AM
Wasn't Juvi the first to do a 450 on American TV?

Mr. Aristocrat
10-05-2006, 02:31 AM
But even if that's true, who remembers Juvi?

Vastardikai
10-05-2006, 02:45 AM
Nope. 2 Cold Scorpio in the early '90s.

At the same time though, you caught the essence of my statement, and that deserves rep.

Jordan
10-05-2006, 02:59 AM
I think the main event x divison guys have pretty good character, the smaller known workers don't, but they are just their to do cool shit. I think some of it is way too fake, I don't like lucha libre, but mostly it pretty damn cool.

Londoner
10-05-2006, 05:52 AM
I'd like to see a guy enter the X-Division with a gimmick like this: I don't need to do the aerial shit to be a star. I'll do it on my own terms.

The guy comes out, dressed in long tights and boots, no kickpads. He more or less cuts a promo about how he doesn't like the X-Division wrestlers who look alike, dress alike, move alike, and, most importantly, Wrestle alike. He also shits on the Kickpads and Spandex Shorts that seem to be the uniform of the entire X-Division. He could probably pull of legit heel heat with that, if he can talk.

Then, when the match starts, he's more or less a straight ahead brawler, who just moves out of the way of high spots, and favors doing Old fashioned wrestling. I'm talking picks a body part, wears it down for the finish, that makes sense. If the other guy doesn't know what selling means, work a little stiffer. Not injure the guy, but if the arm bar starts hurting the shoulder a little bit, maybe they can figure out "maybe I should act like my arm hurts." Not necessarily not do High Spots at all and stick to rest holds, you have to understand. I'd rather see a match with 5 spots that tell the story for the match than 34 spots that just lead into another spot. It will make the big moves seem bigger.

Didn't they already do that with Joe?

BigDaddyCool
10-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Didn't they already do that with Joe?

Joe isn't a cruiser wieght. It was obvious he wasn't going to fly.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I have been thinking for a while. I never worried that much about what he would wear. I also thought instead of a "brawler," just have him you tons of old school moves. Have a move set containing side russian leg sweeps, atomic drops, drop toe holds, ddt, sto, and stuff like that. Just kinda old basic moves, nothing overly flashy. Also I could see him doing some high flying occasionally but mostly an old school grappling based offense.

Kane Knight
10-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Kurt will take TNA as far as they'll let him.

St. Jimmy
10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah, and then they'll job him to Jarrett. Clean.

Kane Knight
10-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, and then they'll job him to Jarrett. Clean.

Exactly. And the use of "I won an Olympic Gold Medal with a broken FREAKIN' NECK!" Will be on the line, too.

But yeah. TNA right now is TNA's worst enemy.