PDA

View Full Version : Micro-Transactions, Cute At First But...

Kalyx triaD
10-05-2006, 02:17 AM
In The Beginning...

360 Themes here and there, nice XBL Arcade games for some Microsoft Points. Ohhh, Gamer Picture Packs. Nothing needed. Don't want 'em, don't buy 'em.

Oblivion's Horse Armor..? It's just dressing, whatever...

Now...

In Classic mode, players begin with no cars or courses. New rides and tracks are added via downloads with over 750 cars and 50 courses to choose from. SCE will charge for the downloadable extras, and while pricing hasn't been finalized, we expect each car to cost between 50 and 100 yen (50 cents to 1 dollar) each. Polyphony plans on adding more cars and courses on a weekly or monthly basis, with some cars available in limited quantities. Concerns over players using real money to trade vehicles may keep car trading functionality out, although Polyphony is currently looking into the matter. Courses will cost between 200 and 500 yen apiece. According to Yamauchi, the difference in cost is due to the amount of work that goes into the course. The Nuremburg course will likely cost more, Yamauchi noted.

I thought that was a joke.

Doom, technically unchanged aside from some additions is out on XBL Arcade for $10. N64's GoldenEye for Wii's Virtual Console will be about the same price. Think about this one...

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection somehow missed being emulated for 360. Is it because I could play classic Street Fighter II online with it instead of buying recently released Hyper Fighting? Journalist were eating it up (Street Fighter 2 XBLA) and I'am like, "Wait a minute..."

Somebody doesn't dig it... (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/737/737177p1.html)

Ladies and non-ladies, we have a problem. How long before XBLA becomes a real arcade complete with downing points like tokens for single games? Features that would be unlockable in games could be premium content now. Why am I buying Jerseys for Madden that were stock for years? Why am I buying cars and tracks for real? I'm sorry, I don't like gaming that much. No one is innocent, the big three are all in on it. But company's themselves haven't been prick about it, though; these fuckin developers trying to play us for BS extras..? WoW and other PC games have major updates for goddamn free. What is going on?

Really, I'm asking...

Funky Fly
10-05-2006, 02:44 AM
Waitwaitwait WAIT, you mean you have to put down $60 for this new Gran Turismo which basically comes with absolutely nothing. And then you have to pay between $.50 and $2 per downloadable item?

It's going to cost hundreds just to get everything that should already be in the fucking game. :n:

Glad I don't hav an XBox.

Kalyx triaD
10-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Waitwaitwait WAIT, you mean you have to put down $60 for this new Gran Turismo which basically comes with absolutely nothing. And then you have to pay between $.50 and $2 per downloadable item?

It's going to cost hundreds just to get everything that should already be in the fucking game. :n:

To be fair the game will be cheap at retail.

Yeah, that's how I felt about the news too.

Funky Fly
10-05-2006, 04:07 AM
Well, they've gone and turned a good way to add extra content after a game is released and turned it into something exploitative.

Disturbed316
10-05-2006, 09:18 AM
I've only bought a couple of arcade games and the Lego Star Wars characters from XBL. I will never buy what Sony are planning to do, it's fucking ridiculas.

Another reason why Sony can stick the PS3 up their ass.

Blitz
10-05-2006, 02:23 PM
I think I read somewhere that it could cost somewhere between $500 and $1000 to unlock everything in GTHD.

Funky Fly
10-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I've only bought a couple of arcade games and the Lego Star Wars characters from XBL. I will never buy what Sony are planning to do, it's fucking ridiculas.

And what exactly is Sony up to?

Ninti the Mad
10-05-2006, 09:38 PM
And what exactly is Sony up to?

Gran Turismo, the game in question, is a PS3 release.

Kane Knight
10-05-2006, 11:18 PM

What worries me about this is if it becomes Mainstay. I mean, even without cars, GT will sell, because people are stupid.

But this isn't even new. They've been doing it for years with computer games. Look at these digital CCGs, for example.

Requiem
10-06-2006, 01:46 AM
I fail to see how the creators of Gran Turismo doing this with their game means that Sony is going to do this with all of the games that come out.

It was one game. If people bothered to pay attention, they would see that GT5 will be released in its entirety shortly after. Yes, it's a stupid move to do this purchasing of cars thing, but people will still buy GT:HD simply because they don't want to wait. If you can actually stand to wait, you can get GT5 anyway.