PDA

View Full Version : So who saw the Marine? (Wondering what wrestling fans think)

Kane Knight
10-15-2006, 05:34 PM
I got home from it about an hour ago. Would have gotten home sooner, but for my car breaking down.

Anyway, I think it's a solid action movie. I think Cena's an unconvincing marine, but no more unconvincing than Segal or Van Dammmmne in their "special ops" roles. The promos make it out to be cheesier than it is. Not that it's not cheesy at points, because it really can be. It's corny as all fuck at points. It's still decent in terms of an action flick though, just something I'd probably watch on DVD or on cable over in the theater (I kind of got strongarmed into going).

The action sequences were strong, and it really does leave Cena looking as convincing an action star as most of the Hollywood standards--He's a shitty actor, but when do you go to see good acting in these movies?--And the supporting cast makes up for him.

...And I still couldn't stop thinking of the Big Hit through this entire movie. Especially the black dude.

Yes, I'm posting this in the wrestling forum to get the opinions specifically of the wresting fans, especially with so many people shitting on it (Though the promos made me want to as well...)

addy2hotty
10-15-2006, 06:07 PM
KK, you are one HUGE Cena mark, aren't you?

I just want to know one thing about the movie, and it will 'make it or break it' to whether I go.....

Does John say 'You Can't See Me' at any point?

Disturbed316
10-15-2006, 06:13 PM
NERD

Kane Knight
10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
No, and him not saying it is UNACCEPTABLE. This is a WWE film, and he didn't say it OR FU someone!

Gertner
10-15-2006, 08:00 PM
does Cena refer to any of his friends as "the chaingang"

Xero
10-15-2006, 08:07 PM
No, and him not saying it is UNACCEPTABLE. This is a WWE film, and he didn't say it OR FU someone!
Since you didn't mention it, I feel afraid to ask if he did the Five Knuckle Shuffle. :(

PorkSoda
10-15-2006, 11:25 PM
If I see this movie, I expect John Cena and Kelly Carlson to be making out, then RObert Patrick coming in the scene and knocking Cena in the back with a chair, causing Cena to fall on Kelly. Then jokingly state "It wasnt my fault."

Boondock Saint
10-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Does he FU those baddies!?

Funky Fly
10-16-2006, 01:37 AM
I saw a Van Damme style jump kick in the commercials. I am willing to bet there is plenty of chop socky and late 80s/early 90s movie brawling and a lot less wrestling moves in this flick.

I'll probably not be going to see this till next month, as time and money don't permit me to go to it.

Fox
10-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Why would you go see The Marine when you could see The Departed?

crock69
10-16-2006, 08:43 AM
I saw the movie over the weekend, and I believe the supporting cast made this movie. A lot of great humor coming from the villains, and non-stop action throughout the movie. Cena is not the most horrible actor, and his look is OK for giving the illusion of the unkillable hero of a movie. Standard action movie, and if anyone here enjoys Van Damme or Segal movies should enjoy this one.

Kane Knight
10-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Why would you go see The Marine when you could see The Departed?

I think I can field this one....

...Because your shitty local theaters have the Marine, but not the departed? Man, I had some good choices: The Grudge 2, Jackass 2, Open Season (Yeah, I'm excited to watch a movie by the people Pixar FIRED)...

Kane Knight
10-16-2006, 09:35 AM
I saw a Van Damme style jump kick in the commercials. I am willing to bet there is plenty of chop socky and late 80s/early 90s movie brawling and a lot less wrestling moves in this flick.

I'll probably not be going to see this till next month, as time and money don't permit me to go to it.

There isn't much chop socky. It's mostly 80s brawling, with a few things here or there. The closest they come to a wrestling move that I saw was when Cena essentially chokeslams someone into a stack of pallates, which is in the previews, and doesn't even look to chokeslammy to me. I think 30% of the movie is Triton (However they spell it) surviving some form of explosion. Another 20% is chase scenes, 10% plot, , probably 15% humor, and 25% ass-kicking. Most of the asskicking is definitely brawling more than martial arts per se. Lots of props, things getting broken, and so on.

I also love some of the unintentional humor. Triton's CO early in the movie tells him to walk away with dignity. And he says, "but sir...I'm a Marine." I know it's supposed to be touching and all that, but I was laughing my ass off....

the wwe champion
10-16-2006, 11:49 AM
NOW CENA WILL FOLLOW THE FOOTSTEPS OF JOHNSON. HE IS BEING BOOOO... AND IS NOT GETTING DESERVED CREDIT FOR HIS HARD WORK. HE WILL BE WORKING FOR THE COMPANY FOR 3 STRAIGHT YEARS doing some FILMS AND FINALLY AS HE GETS A GOOD NUMBER OF MOVIES ON HIS WAY HE WILL SAY F-U TO THE WWE AND WALK AWAY TO HOLLYWOOD.

Stickman
10-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I haven't seen it and won't until it's on a movie channel. The newspaper tried to be unbiased and pointed out a marginally talented wrestler plays a marginally talented actor and the movie is a pyrotechnic performance more than an actual movie.

Why you spent money to see this movie only proves that you're a closet Cena fan. Otherwise, there is zero reason to see this. Think about it, if Cena were an actor not a wrestler, this movie would've done just as bad as any Jlo movie.