PDA

View Full Version : I am not longer ashamed to be a wrestling fan

Jordan
10-16-2006, 01:26 PM
I took a big leap last night. I was walking around Union Square with this girl I met recently, Christina, there was a lull in the conversation so I decided to tell her something, something she had to know, it was only fair for me to tell her early on.

"I like wrestling", I said to her. "Really? Me too!".

WHOA.

I met a chick, who smokes weed and likes wrestling.
I know what your thinking, "no way she's a chick", well I trust me she is, I know first... "hand". haha.

So has anyone ever told a girl they like wrestling and gotten a bad response or even a good one? Also, don't be ashamed to be a fan, I was for a long time, and now that i'm out of the closet, life is great, I laugh now, I never used to laugh before.

KingofOldSchool
10-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Well whoopie doo.

Team Sheep
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I've never given a fuck what people think about me being a wrestling fan. Some think it's cool, some think it's gay. Either way, doesn't bother me.

Jordan
10-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Well I grew up in Tennessee. Wrestling fans were like hillbilly redneck trashy people, and if you liked wrestling people would associate you like that, not everyone obviously, it just made me look bad I think, oh well.

Dorkchop
10-16-2006, 01:53 PM
I dated a girl I met at a WWE house show.

She only went to keep her friend company. We often talked how, of all places to meet someone, we met a fucking WWE house show. There's a long story of how we actually met at the show, but no one is going to give a shit.

My current girlfriend doesn't like wrestling at all, but doesn't care that I absolutely love it. She encourages my love for wrestling.
You shouldn't be ashamed to be a wrestling fan. If someone's going to think you're a retard for likign it, fuck them. Why would you want to hang around people who will judge you differently for liking something they don't?

I can see why you wouldn't want to mention being a wrestling fan right away though. A lot of girls I've known have thought it was stupid and made fun of guys for liking it. A lot of those girls also became high school drop out teenage moms addicted to meth.

Mr. Aristocrat
10-16-2006, 01:53 PM
My first date with a ex of mine was to Vengeance 2003. My current girlfriend likes wrestling too. I think most every girl I have ever been with has liked wrestling...if not really enjoy it, than they always liked talking about who was hot and popping for The Rock, Randy Orton and John Cena.

I don't know how most people feel about it because most people in my life don't know I like wrestling. Not that I am keeping it a secert, it just typically doesn't come up in conversation. Just like I don't think most people know I like Studio 60, House, or Boston Legal...

Jordan
10-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Girls never like good wrestling, they always like shitty wrestlers. I have a friend who is a girl, and we watch Raw together, she loves it. She hated TNA though, and ROH, stupid girl.

samichna
10-16-2006, 01:59 PM
handjobs are gay

Pepsi Man
10-16-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't know how most people feel about it because most people in my life don't know I like wrestling. Not that I am keeping it a secert, it just typically doesn't come up in conversation. Just like I don't think most people know I like Studio 60, House, or Boston Legal...
Same, although most of the time, if somehow wrestling DOES come up in conversation, most people I talk to about it seem to have watched it at one point or another.

Mr. Aristocrat
10-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Same, although most of the time, if somehow wrestling DOES come up in conversation, most people I talk to about it seem to have watched it at one point or another.

Agree'd...the conversation usually turns to "Is Austin/Hogan/Rock/DX/nWo/Jericho/Hardy Boyz still wrestling?"

ron the dial
10-16-2006, 02:43 PM
No bitch has ever liked wrestling in the history of the world. Don't lie to us.

Blue Demon
10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
handjobs are gay
A hand job is a man's job :shifty:

Dorkchop
10-16-2006, 03:06 PM
A hand job is a man's job :shifty:

Is it a job for such a man? A real man's man?

Übermensch
10-16-2006, 04:37 PM
I've got to be honest, I don't tell anybody I like wrestling, and I really never intend to. The only people who knew were my immediate family, but they even probably think I've grown out of it, since I haven’t lived at home for a few years, and I never mention it to them.

I know that I don't have a great conception of what most wrestling fans are like, but from the couple of shows I've been to in my life, a good percentage of them seemed pretty tacky and shallow to me, not really the type of people I'd want hang out with. Obviously, there are exceptions to that, as a good percentage of this board seems pretty with it, but the prevailing culture of people who watch wrestling to me seems like it more or less fits the stereotypes. It turns me off big time when characters like "Umaga - the Samoan Savage," or "Jimmy Wang Yang - the racially confused Asian cowboy," or even guys like "Chris Nowinski - the spineless intellectual college snob" debut. When the majority of the crowd seems to enthusiastically react as they're prompted to, it turns me off even further. I've long thought that the world of professional wrestling is an undiscovered goldmine for anthropological research. That, I've recently realized, along with the fact that it's something that I've watched for almost my whole life and simply habitually follow at this point are really the main reasons that I still watch.

That said, I would never judge anybody for watching professional wrestling, as a) that would be pretty hypocritical, and b) because of obvious exceptions to what's probably a plurality, rather than a majority of wrestling fans.

I admit it's rather cowardly and what not to keep my interest a secret, but honestly, it's something that I'd rather watch by myself anyway, and I really don't care enough to be willing to deal with the extreme negative stigma of being a pro wrestling fan.

redoneja
10-16-2006, 04:47 PM
My ex was annoyed by it. My current girlfriend is a markish casual fan. She knows it's fake but enjoys watching it for the action. Doesn't follow the storylines or anything.

Stickman
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
I do keep it a secret and I am ashamed. I'm ashamed that I've wasted my time watching this shit and it keeps getting worse and worse yet I still watch it. I dont' even think I enjoy it. WHy I keep turning it on is beyond me. I seriously dont' know why. It's not exciting, it's "fake', I know whats going to happen, there's childish humour, it's not realistic at all, 90% of it is nearly unbearable, yet I still turn it on. It's hard to find one thing that I like about it. I think I need to see a shrink to figure this shit out.

The Naitch
10-16-2006, 05:24 PM
I dated a chick who liked wrestling but once she said she was a Hulk Hogan fan, I gave her a Rock Bottom and a People's Elbow.

Avenger
10-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Well done Jordan you fingered a geek girl who likes wrestling.

Slappy3000
10-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Well done Jordan you fingered a geek girl who likes wrestling.
One of those fat Jeff Hardy lovin chicks... :rofl:

Fignuts
10-16-2006, 07:54 PM
I never hide any of my geeky hobbies, because anyone who is going to judge me based simply on a hobby, is someone whose opinion I don't give a fuck about anyway. And honestly, as long as you are confident and don't show any signs of being ashamed of having said hobbies people are far less likely to judge you.

Kane Knight
10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
My last 3 gfs have all watched wrestling with me.

I know a lot of girls who don't like wrestling, and a lot of guys, too. I must be missing why I should feel ashamed.

AdrianM
10-17-2006, 11:27 PM
I've never given a fuck what people think about me being a wrestling fan. Some think it's cool, some think it's gay. Either way, doesn't bother me.

I'm like you, in that I've never given a fuck what people think..however, unlike you, most ppl don't understand it. they say "its fake, how cna you like?" so I say "would you seriously want this shit to be real...I mean, the matches would go like 30 seconds"...altho, i suppose UFC is real :?:

but yeah, so, anyway, who cares what ppl think. Like someone said, I love watching wrestling...heck, at least I don't love watching friends and Will and Grace

Kane Knight
10-17-2006, 11:47 PM
I watch TV...TV is fake...I watch movies...Movies are fake. Even historical ones...What makes wrestling so different from any average TV show? Even reality TV is largely staged to some extent.

parkmania
10-17-2006, 11:58 PM
My wife loves watching wrestling with me. She was a fan when she was in high school, and I got her interested in the product again. She has even been watching it while she's away helping take care of her father for a few weeks.

Fox
10-18-2006, 01:55 AM
I'm a closet wrestling fan when it comes to my girlfriend... I mean literally, there are boxes fulll of old PPVs in my closet that she has no idea about.

Somebody find me a help group.

Pinnacle Charisma
10-18-2006, 03:38 AM
I never hide any of my geeky hobbies, because anyone who is going to judge me based simply on a hobby, is someone whose opinion I don't give a fuck about anyway. And honestly, as long as you are confident and don't show any signs of being ashamed of having said hobbies people are far less likely to judge you.

Spot on man

Skippord
10-18-2006, 03:51 AM
I dont tell anyone unless they ask

Kane Knight
10-18-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm a closet wrestling fan when it comes to my girlfriend... I mean literally, there are boxes fulll of old PPVs in my closet that she has no idea about.

Somebody find me a help group.

:rofl: OMG.

KingofOldSchool
10-18-2006, 09:29 AM
I've got to be honest, I don't tell anybody I like wrestling, and I really never intend to. The only people who knew were my immediate family, but they even probably think I've grown out of it, since I haven’t lived at home for a few years, and I never mention it to them.

I know that I don't have a great conception of what most wrestling fans are like, but from the couple of shows I've been to in my life, a good percentage of them seemed pretty tacky and shallow to me, not really the type of people I'd want hang out with. Obviously, there are exceptions to that, as a good percentage of this board seems pretty with it, but the prevailing culture of people who watch wrestling to me seems like it more or less fits the stereotypes. It turns me off big time when characters like "Umaga - the Samoan Savage," or "Jimmy Wang Yang - the racially confused Asian cowboy," or even guys like "Chris Nowinski - the spineless intellectual college snob" debut. When the majority of the crowd seems to enthusiastically react as they're prompted to, it turns me off even further. I've long thought that the world of professional wrestling is an undiscovered goldmine for anthropological research. That, I've recently realized, along with the fact that it's something that I've watched for almost my whole life and simply habitually follow at this point are really the main reasons that I still watch.

That said, I would never judge anybody for watching professional wrestling, as a) that would be pretty hypocritical, and b) because of obvious exceptions to what's probably a plurality, rather than a majority of wrestling fans.

I admit it's rather cowardly and what not to keep my interest a secret, but honestly, it's something that I'd rather watch by myself anyway, and I really don't care enough to be willing to deal with the extreme negative stigma of being a pro wrestling fan.

Pussy.

KingofOldSchool
10-18-2006, 09:30 AM
I do keep it a secret and I am ashamed. I'm ashamed that I've wasted my time watching this shit and it keeps getting worse and worse yet I still watch it. I dont' even think I enjoy it. WHy I keep turning it on is beyond me. I seriously dont' know why. It's not exciting, it's "fake', I know whats going to happen, there's childish humour, it's not realistic at all, 90% of it is nearly unbearable, yet I still turn it on. It's hard to find one thing that I like about it. I think I need to see a shrink to figure this shit out.

Pussy.

TerranRich
10-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Heh, even better if when you get your g/f into wrestling, and she ends up wanting to watch RAW at times where I don't really feel like it.

Stickman
10-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Pussy.

Yeah, not knowing why I watch this shit makes me a pussy.

Gulak
10-18-2006, 05:10 PM
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3074/erniebertdancingbj4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Volare
10-19-2006, 12:02 AM
the only part I hate about a g/f watching wrestling for the first...second time is you have to explain EVERY FUCKING PART about it and EXPLAIN WHO THE FUCK IS THAT GUY AND THIS GUY...by the time I'm done hearing questions the show if FUCKING OVER!!!

tucsonspeed6
10-19-2006, 11:54 AM
You wonder why you're no longer ashamed to watch wrestling? You wonder why you found a girl who also likes wrestling? A year ago I had two students who liked wrestling. Two out of 150. Now I've got at least a couple dozen if not more than a quarter of my students. Each and every one of them is a huge mark who thinks that DX is awesome and unbeatable, and that Cena is either hot or hilarious. They're marks. Marks come and go. They came for the Attitude era, and left for the Invasion. Now they're coming back for the new DX and Cena, and soon they will go again.

So if you're wondering why you're not embarassed, it's because you're not in the minority. Now you're the part of a growing fad, and soon it will be more clear that wrestling is on a rebound. This feeling of not being ashamed anymore will turn into a new embarassment, where you're part of a oversaturated fad. (Family Guy t-shirts anyone?)