PDA

View Full Version : The Royle Family: The Queen Of Sheba

NeanderCarl
10-30-2006, 04:52 AM
Did anyone catch the brand new, one-off episode of The Royle Family last night (in the UK)? First new episode for about 7 years.

I was fearing the worst, but the show was just as good as ever, hilarious and moving at the same time. What did everyone think? Should they make more now, or let it lie?

ct2k
10-30-2006, 05:36 AM
I think they should let it lie, it was a brilliant send-off for the show, so emotional but still hilarious at the same time.

When Nanna died:'(

Avenger
10-30-2006, 06:40 AM
I know, so emotional when Nana died.

ct2k
10-30-2006, 06:54 AM
I think the bit where Barbara found her unconcious kinda summed up everything the Royle Family is about really. She comes down with that comment about the Orthodox Jewish guy "I don't think Solomon had ever had one snakebite let alone ten" and I was literally pissing myself, next second everybody is rushing to the hospital and its tearjerking.

One of the best sitcomes ever without a doubt:y:

NeanderCarl
10-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Seconded. Last night's episode made me want more though. They managed to do what so many resurrected shows often fail to do after a long gap (Only Fools and Horses included) and that's update the show to make it relevant to today's audience, rather than simply putting out an episode that could have easily slotted in next to one of the old episodes. There was a 7 year gap between episodes, and the characters have developed and moved on accordingly, including Nana who unfortunately had deteriorated, whereas any other show would simply carry on exactly as it was the last time it was on air. It may not be what the audience wanted to happen (we've missed so much!) but its true to life.

ct2k
10-30-2006, 08:14 AM
I think its the warmth of the show along with the spot on humour that has always endeared it to such a wide range of people here, you had Richard and Judy watching it in their North London mansion with Sean Ryder watching it stoned off his tits in Manchester.

I think the relationship between Nana and Jim was always the most touching of them all. For all their blazing rows over batteries, Elsey and revels there was genuine affection there, as evidenced last night in the little segment showing them having a laugh as Jim was taking her upstairs.

I think going out on a high with the views wanting mroe is the best thing for this kind of sitcom, just like Pheonix Nights and the Office.

Avenger
10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
That really was a beautiful piece of television last night. There's something so special about those dramas that can be so outrageously and ridiculously funny at times but can have their emotional points that can drag tears out of you more than any sad film. (see One Foot in the Grave finale.)