PDA

View Full Version : Calling out wrong wrestling moves

the wwe champion
11-04-2006, 08:31 AM
J.R lately has never announced any of Edge's finishing moves except for the Spear. For example...the Edge-O-Matic or even Edge's Impaler DDT.
Cole announced Lashley's running Power Slam as a runnning Scoop Slam at Survivor Series-05. J.R announces RVD's Hollywood star express as a 2 legged moonsault...not sure about this. But during the homecoming when Benoit was hitting Benjamin with the 3 Germans he was announcing it as the 3 amegos.Any more to add...

the wwe champion
11-04-2006, 08:45 AM
1 more to the list the SD! announce team announced Batista's lame Spine Buster as the Batista Bomb. Nextly, Cole doesn't know that Regal's submission hold is the Regal Stretch. That's awfull. J.R. called Kane's top rope lariath as a flying clothesline from hell.

Chavo Classic
11-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Great, people make mistakes

The Show Off
11-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Great, people make mistakes

They shouldn't there only calling matches for roughly 110 hours each year.

Sure it'd be nice if they corrected themselves right after they screwed up a call but Vince runs the WWE like the Bush Administrations, never admit mistakes. It's always a great policy.

Corkscrewed
11-04-2006, 12:23 PM
The announcers know moves? :?:

Stickman
11-04-2006, 01:11 PM
It's not about calling a match it's about storytelling. Just ask Joey Styles.

Hitman84
11-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Quite often, when Matt Hardy performs a swinging neckbreaker, the commentators call it the Twist of Fate.

The announcers know moves? :?:
I believe during the Lucha Libre match at ONS1, Mick Foley left Joey Styles to call the match by himself but then said something like "I'm gonna take this one Joey, that was a dropkick to the knee!" - pure class! :lol:

samichna
11-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Jim Ross is awful.

Kane Knight
11-04-2006, 02:53 PM
You know, 80% of my arsenal involves an armbar, and JR would STILL fuck it up. It's not about occasional mistakes, it's about hiring people who don't know the moves (Coach, Cole to some extent), and keeping people who consistantly call moves wrong.

Then again, this is a minor deal compared to the problems WWE has right now. I'd take all the miscalled names and moves for a main event scene worth watching.

Fox
11-04-2006, 11:35 PM
True dat, KK.

But still, it gets frustrating hearing these assholes call a "fisherman's suplex" a "suplex with a leg hooked," or a "tilt a whirl backbreaker" an "inverted powerslam."

Shit, to Jim Ross, half the fucking moves from the WWE roster are just "inverted suplexes."

That's why I love Joey Styles and Mike Tenay. They know the moves!

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2006, 02:56 AM
Yeah, it pisses me off when they generalise a move. I think that's why a lot of finishers don't get over. Carlito used to do a Reverse Swinging Neckbreaker. It never got over because whenever he'd hit it, JR was confused and had no clue what to call it. It just seemed to lessen the meaning of the move, which takes away from the drama.

I remember when JR called a flipping senton off the top rope a "moonsault". The same goes for Jeff Hardy's "Whisper in the Wind". For a long while, it was referred to as a "corkscrew moonsault". That lessened the move a whole lot, because when you think about it, the only difference between Jeff Hardy's WitW and Swanton Bomb, is that the opponent is standing when he takes the impact, and he corkscrews into the former.

Michael Cole frustrated me when he didn't call Paul London's assisted London Star Press correctly at No Mercy. I think he called it a "moonsault" as well. Gah!

John Cena does that back suplex into a uranage move, which I believe was called the "Protobomb" in OVW, and was the "Killswitch" on SmackDown!. Why doesn't JR give it one of those two names. "John Cena just flicked the switch on Edge" sounds a lot better than "Ooo! Lookout!".

Another move the commentators never get right...Victoria's Fireman Carry Sidewalk Slam. I believe she calls it the "Spider's Web". It adds drama when they get the move's name right, which is what the WWE's idea of commentary is. They can't even live up to their own fucking standards.

And, just to clarify, what is wrong with calling Kane's move off the top rope a flying clothesline? It is. :|

Kane Knight
11-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Shit, to Jim Ross, half the fucking moves from the WWE roster are just "inverted suplexes."

Which wouldn't be so bad, if the other half weren't "modifies suplexes."

Rammsteinmad
11-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Edgecution... Edge-o-Matic... Impaler... Fucking hell what is the name of his finisher (besides the Spear)?

And also that Submission hold he use to have... those three names are always being mixed up.

Rammsteinmad
11-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Also a bit off topic... but I'd just like to point out how Benoit did the three amigos in WCW... useless fact for the day eh?

M-A-G
11-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Reverse DDT = Unprettier

Skippord
11-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Edgecution... Edge-o-Matic... Impaler... Fucking hell what is the name of his finisher (besides the Spear)?

And also that Submission hold he use to have... those three names are always being mixed up.
Submission = Educator

Fox
11-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Reverse DDT = Unprettier

No, the Unprettier is the move Christian used where he grabs his opponents' arms from behind and twists him around into a face buster.

The Reverse DDT was the Edgecation, the full nelson face buster was the Edge-o-matic.

Favre4Ever
11-06-2006, 12:35 AM
what about the "Edge-ucation?

What Would Kevin Do?
11-06-2006, 12:47 AM
No, the Unprettier is the move Christian used where he grabs his opponents' arms from behind and twists him around into a face buster.

The Reverse DDT was the Edgecation, the full nelson face buster was the Edge-o-matic.

Edge-o-matic = X-factor esque move from behind.
Edgucution- Implant DDT
Edgucator= his submission
his half nelson facebuster was never named.

darkpower
11-06-2006, 03:48 AM
Does anyone remember when Vince McMahon would be doing commentary. He didn't even GIVE ANY move a name. He just went "YES!!" or "Nicely done", forgetting that we need to know what the fuck the wrestler did.

Hitman84
11-06-2006, 04:45 PM
I miss Bobby Heenan, Gorilla Monsoon, Lord Alfred Hayes and Sean Mooney! These guys were the main commentators when I first got into WWF - they knew their stuff. Hec, even Roddy Piper, Randy Savage and Ted DiBiase when they used to do guest commentary were better than these current WWE guys.

Monsoon: Elbowdrop there, right on that external oxibital pertuberance.
Piper: On the back of the head, he caught him too!

Stuff like this was classic. Not only did they know their moves, and how to call good ring psychology, but they were funny too.

What the hell? Use the bell!
Need I say more ... ?

M-A-G
11-06-2006, 05:10 PM

I KNOW that. Did you not read the point of this thread?

M-A-G
11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Does anyone remember when Vince McMahon would be doing commentary. He didn't even GIVE ANY move a name. He just went "YES!!" or "Nicely done", forgetting that we need to know what the fuck the wrestler did.

OHMYGAWDWUDDAMANUEVARWOWUNBELIEVABLE!!!

M-A-G
11-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Here's a question: Do people really CARE if it's called right or called at all? The big spots I can understand but do restholds and chain wrestling techniques really warrant a whole lot of attention?

Chuck Jones
11-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Edge's Half Nelson facebuster was called the "Downward Spiral" I believe. Or am I thinking of something else?

Hitman84
11-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Edge's Half Nelson facebuster was called the "Downward Spiral" I believe. Or am I thinking of something else?
Unless I'm mistaken, the Downward Spiral resembled Side Russian Legsweep, except it was the face planted on the mat rather than the back and shoulders. I always used to confuse this with the Electric Chair Drop, which if you imagine the opponent is trying a Victory Roll, instead of rolling forward into it you drop backwards. Am I right?

Chuck Jones
11-06-2006, 07:22 PM
yeah, you are right. Downward Spiral was/is the most overused finisher move ever, the reverse STO/Flatliner.

Electric Chair Drop is where you wall to a sitting position, and your opponent goes for the victory roll and you drop him on his face.

Kane Knight
11-06-2006, 08:01 PM
The Downward Spiral referred to multiple moves, though, IIRC.

Stickman
11-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Lord Alfred was terrible. He'll put you to sleep.

mrslackalack
11-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Every move Schavione would call would be a sidewalk slam.