PDA

View Full Version : who is canada's team (NHL related poll)

da_king
12-11-2003, 07:00 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">

vote now
</font>

MoRcHeEbA
12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
well in all honesty I was watching tv last week and they said themselves Vancouver has become canada's team by ways of merchandise,tv ratings, attendence.. They average something like 64,000 people more watching there games then the leafs. So yeah.

da_king
12-11-2003, 07:20 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">

i remember hearing about that as well which is where i got the idea for this poll, just currious what others think, particularily those in non nhl markets.
</font>

MoRcHeEbA
12-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Personally I like all canadian teams, I consider them to all be canada's team... Since im in a non market I feel if any canadian team whens the cup it's like canada winning not that city.

Yashamaga
12-11-2003, 07:37 PM
all-time - Montreal

But probably Vancouver now

el fregadero
12-11-2003, 07:42 PM
<font color=teal>Obviously it's the Canadiens.</font>

DaveBrawl
12-11-2003, 08:35 PM
I say Montreal, because of their history. I would like to say Calgary though.

The Miz
12-11-2003, 08:41 PM
habs no question.

KleptoKlown
12-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Even though im a die hard canucks fan, i've voted habs.

They are Canada's team.

Can't argue with 24 cup victories.

KleptoKlown
12-12-2003, 01:18 PM
and LOL @ someone voting for the leafs.
Probably gertner

PsychoSport
12-12-2003, 01:35 PM
No, it was BCWWF.

Click the numbers to see who voted for whattt.

MoRcHeEbA
12-12-2003, 05:52 PM
I find it funnier that two people voted for ottawa

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-12-2003, 06:02 PM
easy question and i dont even watch hockey :mad:

YOUR Hero
12-12-2003, 07:55 PM
That's cool how you can see who voted for what :y:

BlackRavyyn
12-13-2003, 10:41 PM
<font color=seablue><i>I love my Oilers, but they're far off from being Canada's team.

Calgary would never get my vote because they haven't put the numbers together that the other teams have. Ottawa is too new to think about and Toronto would be more like Canada's hated team, then loved. And Vancouver, love the team but I am sure they don't have the talent that the old Habitants have had over the years and I am sure there's no where near the Cups there either.</i></font>

Gertner
12-14-2003, 12:45 AM
who's Gertner? Anyways. My pick right now would be the Canadian team with the most points.

road doggy dogg
12-14-2003, 05:10 AM
Yeah wtf, I'd pick Edmonton over Ottawa :o

I picked Vancouver, but that's because I've only been watching hockey for a couple years, so I'm not educated on all the history and stuffffffff

The CyNick
12-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Right now its the Leafs. They are the most popular team in the country, you can see that by their following. When the Canucks play in the ACC and they score (which is rare), you dont hear a lot of cheers, but when the Leafs go to any other arena in Canada there are large sections of people cheering for the Leafs.

Honestly I haven't looked into the ratings this year, but over a 5 year period (a more accurate judge for ratings) I'm sure the Leafs are miles ahead of the Canucks or any other CDN team. While it might be true (and I dont know that it is) that Vancouver is drawing more viewers this year, that doesn't really mean all that much in terms of saying 'who is Canada's team'.

The only other team I could see making a case for is the Habs because they have been around as long as the Leafs and have a strong following, but even them I would say are a distant second to the Blue and White.

I know this is going to get attcked, because all of you people who dont live in the centre of the universe feel ashamed because your towns are so inferior to the Big Smoke, but try not to let it get in the way of making a solid arguement.

asphyXy
12-14-2003, 09:34 PM
<font color=969696>Montreal is Canada.</font>

road doggy dogg
12-14-2003, 09:52 PM
While it might be true (and I dont know that it is) that Vancouver is drawing more viewers this year, that doesn't really mean all that much in terms of saying 'who is Canada's team'.

LOL @ you killing your own stupid argument

Lara Emily
12-14-2003, 10:10 PM
While Canada's team is Montreal I voted for the Sens cause well I live here :D

sadio8
12-14-2003, 10:14 PM
I voted for Toronto :) since i live in Toronto i am very biased towards them i'll admit that.

MoRcHeEbA
12-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Right now its the Leafs. They are the most popular team in the country,

LMAO, no one likes the leafs except leafs fans

The CyNick
12-15-2003, 01:41 PM
LOL @ you killing your own stupid argument

So what because someone says (without any actual evidence) that Vancouver is drawing more viewers that means they are Canada's team? What time frame do we use to determine that? If the Oilers draw a huge number for their game next week, do they get the crown?

In order to make an accurate judgment you have to look at a longer period of time, and ratings aren't the only thing that matters. Like I said there are more Leaf fans around the country then any other team. And the Leafs make the most money out of any team in the NHL. to me that makes them not only Canada's team, but also the NHL's team.

road doggy dogg
12-15-2003, 01:43 PM
No it's just funny because you said that Toronto's is Canada's team because they have more viewers

Then you basically said, "Vancouver has more viewers, but that doesn't mean anything in who is Canada's team"

MoRcHeEbA
12-15-2003, 01:50 PM
funny how you say So what because someone says (without any actual evidence)

then going on to say

Like I said there are more Leaf fans around the country then any other team.

Also you're not suppose to put "and" after a period.

Marbear
12-15-2003, 02:31 PM
So what because someone says (without any actual evidence) that Vancouver is drawing more viewers that means they are Canada's team? What time frame do we use to determine that? If the Oilers draw a huge number for their game next week, do they get the crown?

In order to make an accurate judgment you have to look at a longer period of time, and ratings aren't the only thing that matters. Like I said there are more Leaf fans around the country then any other team. And the Leafs make the most money out of any team in the NHL. to me that makes them not only Canada's team, but also the NHL's team.

I think something important that you have to remember is that the Toronto area has 4 million more people than the next biggest city in Canada and that is a large number of people to draw a fanbase from so it makes it a little easier for Toronto to make money and to draw such a large audience.

MoRcHeEbA
12-15-2003, 02:34 PM
and also that Toronto is the number 2 most hated team in the world.

The CyNick
12-16-2003, 12:31 AM
I think something important that you have to remember is that the Toronto area has 4 million more people than the next biggest city in Canada and that is a large number of people to draw a fanbase from so it makes it a little easier for Toronto to make money and to draw such a large audience.

But its not just Torontonians who love the Leafs, literally people all over the world love the Leafs, more than any other team in hockey. So yeah the huge population helps, but that doesn't explain why they have a ton of fans in Edmonton or Montreal or Vancouver or anywhere else you can think of.

packt up
12-16-2003, 10:58 AM
I support the leafs but only cos in NHL 95 i clicked "random team" and it was the first one that came up. :(

As i know jack shit about hockey I won't vote :).

Marbear
12-16-2003, 12:59 PM
But its not just Torontonians who love the Leafs, literally people all over the world love the Leafs, more than any other team in hockey. So yeah the huge population helps, but that doesn't explain why they have a ton of fans in Edmonton or Montreal or Vancouver or anywhere else you can think of.

Yeah true but most of those people are probably originally from the Toronto area and Southwestern Ontario. But in Canada, unfortunately, they're right. Most of Canada hates the Leafs. :(

KleptoKlown
12-16-2003, 01:20 PM

LOL, big claims from someone who was just shooting down an argument because the person didnt have any actual facts to back it up.

Yes the Leafs have a large following outside of the Toronto area...but so do the Habs.

Habs get cheered just as loud, if not louder in other Canadian rinks.

Habs are Canada's team, simply for the fact that they are not Canada's most hated team.

People either love the Leafs...or hate them.

People either love the Habs...or cheer for them. You'll find very few people(besides Leafs fans) that hate the Habs. Yet, you'll find tons of people, other than Habs fans, who hate the Leafs.

Thats why the Habs are Canada's team, loved by lots, hated by few.

Again, the 24 cups doesnt hurt much either.

da_king
12-16-2003, 07:46 PM

<font color="#ccffcc">

i'd venture to guess that a lot of those fans are hold overs from the original six in which there were only two canadian teams to choose from and there's probably just as many hab fans as leafs if not more. hell, my dad loved the habs when i was growing up but these fans are slowly dying out.

</font>

TheJShow
12-16-2003, 10:57 PM
Les Canadiens de Montreal.

Marbear
12-17-2003, 03:28 PM
{lepto]{lown']LOL, big claims from someone who was just shooting down an argument because the person didnt have any actual facts to back it up.

Yes the Leafs have a large following outside of the Toronto area...but so do the Habs.

Habs get cheered just as loud, if not louder in other Canadian rinks.

Habs are Canada's team, simply for the fact that they are not Canada's most hated team.

People either love the Leafs...or hate them.

People either love the Habs...or cheer for them. You'll find very few people(besides Leafs fans) that hate the Habs. Yet, you'll find tons of people, other than Habs fans, who hate the Leafs.

Thats why the Habs are Canada's team, loved by lots, hated by few.

Again, the 24 cups doesnt hurt much either.

I don't know about that. I know a lot of people who hate Montreal, and no these people aren't Maple Leaf fans. I mean c'mon, their own fanbase in their own city barely goes to their games, unless of course they're high in the standings. Fickle fans piss me off. :mad: