PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Royal Rumble

Joey Slugs
11-16-2006, 02:21 AM
Watching it on the 3rd disc of the Flair set.

Ahhhh... good times back then. :y::y:

Jeritron
11-16-2006, 02:39 AM
I wish they'd have the royal rumble for the world title again at some point down the line.

Londoner
11-16-2006, 02:42 AM
Royal rumble for the WWE/world titles? Now that would be more interesting, if it's done as a one off.

Joey Slugs
11-16-2006, 02:44 AM
The Rumble that year had it all.... and Savage/Undertaker/Roberts fighting on the outside was mark-out-able back then. Having Flair/Piper go at it the whole time that Piper was in was fucking awesome. And having the Brain rooting for Flair the entire time was classic Heenan.

Just all the different characters. All the top stars all going after the belt.

Plus Flair was (still is) the fucking man.

Best Rumble in my eyes.

Joey Slugs
11-16-2006, 02:46 AM
Heenan: "Since Virgil is #23... Lord knows how many people's bags he went through in the back."

Fucking :lol:

Jeritron
11-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Yea well 92 was the one flair won for the title if I remember correctly right? It was the only time they did that and I think it could work again if they do it right with brand extension and all.
If they had it at the end of brand extension, with the right man winning it and the title along with a main event spot against the WWE champ to unify them at mania.
With a pool of guys from both brands and it being for the title it'd probably be very interesting to watch, especially with the last 5 or 6 guys left in the ring.

Londoner
11-16-2006, 03:16 AM
^ Agreed, it could be done as a way of ending the roster split.

The One
11-16-2006, 03:24 AM
92 is easily the greatest Rumble match in history. Infact I can't think of any battle royal that comes close to it either.

What Would Kevin Do?
11-16-2006, 04:16 AM
92 is easily the greatest Rumble match in history. Infact I can't think of any battle royal that comes close to it either.

The first one HBK won, if my memory serves me right, wasn't bad... Then again, I might just love it for the ending.

Ben Rodrigues
11-16-2006, 05:55 AM
2001 in my opinion, is very much in the same league as 1992.

The Genius
11-16-2006, 07:12 AM
is the entire ppv or just the rumble on that disc?

El Fangel
11-16-2006, 07:53 AM
Benoits Rumble.

Loose Cannon
11-16-2006, 08:58 AM
The first one HBK won, if my memory serves me right, wasn't bad... Then again, I might just love it for the ending.

1995 was a terrible Rumble. Not even close (though nothing comes close) to '92.

95's ending was very cool though. 2nd best behind '97 IMO.

Loose Cannon
11-16-2006, 09:00 AM
I was actually watching disk one of Flair DVD yesterday. The Harley Race promo is awesome and the one with him, Slater and Orton. Good stuff.

addy2hotty
11-16-2006, 09:29 AM
1992 was by far the stand out Rumble. You had 4/5 main event level feuds just in the Rumble itself.

I wonder who the writers were back then.....

Dorkchop
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
That Rumble was sick. I loved Heenan's commentary throughout thw whole thing. He made fun of Tito Santana a lot.

2004 Rumble was great too, but 1992 is probably the best one ever.... Granted I have not seen every Rumble, but from what I've seen and at least what I've heard about, 1992 still seems like the most exciting one.

Corndad
11-16-2006, 11:44 AM
I personally liked the 2001 I believe was Rumble. The one that had Kane go like the whole time, had Drew Carey, Honkey Tonk Man. Austin getting bloodied by HHH before he gets in the ring, only to make it to the ring and win it.

I'd say that and 92 are neck and neck

addy2hotty
11-16-2006, 11:59 AM
I think two of the top Rumble moments came from 2002 though, Maven eliminating Taker and Austin clearing the ring, standing waiting, listening to his watch, shouting What at the crowd, and Trip's music hits. His face, JR's reaction...a slow 'bahgawd'..was fantastic.

Caged Heat18
11-16-2006, 12:23 PM
I think 2004 comes close to competing with 1992, but I think 1992 was still the best of all time.

Loose Cannon
11-16-2006, 12:36 PM
and Austin clearing the ring, standing waiting, listening to his watch, shouting What at the crowd, and Trip's music hits. His face, JR's reaction...a slow 'bahgawd'..was fantastic.

That was such a ripoff of '97 when Austin and Bret did the same thing.

mrslackalack
11-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Cant wait for Rumble Anthology in March

Fox
11-16-2006, 03:02 PM
1. RR 2004
2. RR 1992
3. RR 2000

The Ravishing One
11-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Royal Rumble 1992 is awesome. No other one can touch it imo.

Caged Heat18
11-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Cant wait for Rumble Anthology in March

:y:

addy2hotty
11-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Just rewatched the 92 one actually. Heenan is gold the whole way thru, but my favourite quote is when Undertaker comes through the curtain.

'Ot oh, death takes a holiday.'

Gerard
11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Like heenan said, that rumble really was the "whos who of wrestling". Had to laugh when flair was dishing out low blows, heenan says "id do that to my grandmother if i had to". :lol:

Caged Heat18
11-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Like heenan said, that rumble really was the "whos who of wrestling". Had to laugh when flair was dishing out low blows, heenan says "id do that to my grandmother if i had to". :lol:

Haha. That was great. Heenan's the man.

Loose Cannon
11-17-2006, 09:01 AM
just watched 1990 last night and that is really awesome as well. The first 15 entrants is awesome and it slows a bit after Warrior and Hogan come out.

But I loved Warrior/Hogan confrontation and then Rude/Hennig working together. Also Demolition vs Col Connection was cool and Jake/Dibiase.

NeanderCarl
11-19-2006, 02:47 PM
1992 was by far the stand out Rumble. You had 4/5 main event level feuds just in the Rumble itself.

I wonder who the writers were back then.....

That would be Vince McMahon and Pierre Clermont, no? And maybe Terry Garvin?

Mr. Nerfect
11-19-2006, 09:48 PM
The 1992 Royal Rumble Match was fantastic. I loved the 2001 Royal Rumble Match, though. It actually solidified my love for wrestling. I may have just been a temporary fan if Kane hadn't dominated. At the time he was my favourite wrestler, so seeing him do so well, was fantastic.

There are still a lot of things they are yet to do in a Royal Rumble Match (at least to my knowledge):

-I want to see the first few entrants make a pact. The first four or so can be random heels, and maybe even a babyface. Let's just say: Lance Cade, Mikey of The Spirit Squad, Mr. Kennedy, Chavo Guerrero and Paul London. They all band together and start beating down the next entrants and eliminating them before anyone else can help them. Eventually some guys get the idea, and wait back and build up their own little army. Then its gang warfare time.

-Kane beating his own record of eliminations. That'd be sweet.

-I want to see a Rumble where all the favourites enter early. Well, most of them. Seeing the last ten entrants being cruiserweights would be interesting, to say the least.

The Royal Rumble is such an underused match by the WWE, and I wouldn't object to it if they used it a few times throughout the year. One of my fondest memories is of Eddie Guerrero winning the Royal Rumble on SmackDown!.

Just occasional "Special Editions" of the Royal Rumble would be sweet. Have one featuring all the Rumble winners under WWE contract, and just throw the Champions in there: Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Batista, Rey Mysterio, 2007 Royal Rumble Winner, WWE Champion, IC Champion, World TT Champions, Women's Champion, WH Champion, US Champion, WWE TT Champions, CW Champion, ECW Champion. That's nineteen men. Make #20 someone completely random, given the opportunity to be in the "Royal Rumbles of Royal Rumbles".

There is so much they can do with it, I think that they should change the PPV somehow. Maybe turn it into more of a World War III type concept? Or have three Royal Rumbles, one from each brand, take place? Maybe have the winners of each three Royal Rumbles face off in a 3-Way Dance at No Way Out, or even at the RR PPV, just to decide the running order for WrestleMania?

Dorkchop
11-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Royal Rumble is one of the best things in pro wrestling. The best ones are the not super predictable Rumbles.

I never saw the 2001 Rumble, but I'd love to. I'm a huge Kane fan, so I'd love to see him dominate in the Rumble. Pretty awesome that he has a record with eliminations. He should totally beat his own record.

AdrianM
11-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Just occasional "Special Editions" of the Royal Rumble would be sweet. Have one featuring all the Rumble winners under WWE contract, and just throw the Champions in there: Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Batista, Rey Mysterio, 2007 Royal Rumble Winner, WWE Champion, IC Champion, World TT Champions, Women's Champion, WH Champion, US Champion, WWE TT Champions, CW Champion, ECW Champion. That's nineteen men. Make #20 someone completely random, given the opportunity to be in the "Royal Rumbles of Royal Rumbles".

alienoid, most of you ideas are :y: but this one gets a big :n: from me...the concept seems completely uninteresting IMO

NeanderCarl
11-20-2006, 01:04 PM
I always liked the idea of multiple Rumbles per brand, or at least extending the number of entrants so everyone gets a look-in on the show. Rumble 92 was maybe the most unpredictable one yet, due to the fact there were just SO many potential winners, and so many genuine superstars involved in the match. So many former WWF Champions too.

Here's an old thread I made about it.
http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39718