PDA

View Full Version : Southland Tales

Jon Kano
11-23-2006, 12:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Southland+Tales

All this stuff has me creaming.

I am the biggest Donnie Darko / Kelly fan and I cannot farking wait for this to come out. The clip with the Rock explaining how the slowing down of the roation of the Earth is responsible for erratic and violent behaviour is a good scene, he must have had some acting lessons and he seems to have improved a lot.

Looks like another cool mind fook film and yeah I cannot wait.

Welcome To a Domain of Chaos.

Indifferent Clox
11-23-2006, 03:58 PM
yeah this looks batshit crazy or fucking retarded.
I.e. amazing

RBM
11-23-2006, 04:33 PM
I liked Donnie Darko and was looking forward to Kelly's next movie, but all I've read about Southland Tales is almost purely negative. I'll still check it out on DVD, I guess.

Jon Kano
11-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Dude your gonna make a choice based on what some fucking tard at cannes has to say?

See most cult films are reviewed badly and don't get much success at opening weekends, premiers or in reviews - which woud suggest its going to be awesome. Infact if its not, I'll shit in public and film it.

The Naitch
11-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Ze Rock

RBM
11-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Dude your gonna make a choice based on what some fucking tard at cannes has to say?

See most cult films are reviewed badly and don't get much success at opening weekends, premiers or in reviews - which woud suggest its going to be awesome. Infact if its not, I'll shit in public and film it.

Eh. I've read interviews with Kelly in magazines and whatnot and he basically said he failed. And you can't go into a movie expecting a particular director to pump out a cult film every time he steps behind a camera. I guess he got it figured out but at one point I think he was having problems getting anyone to release it. Like I said, i'll check it out on DVD regardless of what people have said of it.

Blitz
11-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Wanna see it.

Jon Kano
11-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Eh. I've read interviews with Kelly in magazines and whatnot and he basically said he failed. And you can't go into a movie expecting a particular director to pump out a cult film every time he steps behind a camera. I guess he got it figured out but at one point I think he was having problems getting anyone to release it. Like I said, i'll check it out on DVD regardless of what people have said of it.

Thats a good point but I'm doing Kelly and Darko in my Cult film module at uni at the moment and the general consensus is that Kelly purposly sells his films TO BECOME cult films, so yeah he will say he has failed initially, but I bet over time it will become like Darko, like he is a auteur for cult films.

Pinnacle Charisma
11-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Donnie Darko was considered a failure at its first run at the cinema. It was only after it was released on dvd that it became a cult hit

Jon Kano
11-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Well thats generally the nature of cult films, they only become valued and liked after they flop or are forgotten for a while. Incidentally though it did have a good theatrical run in the UK.

Lock Jaw
11-24-2006, 01:25 AM
I liked Donnie Darko but I just can't take any movie with The Rock in it seriously.

RBM
11-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Didn't Donnie Darko come out right around 9/11?

Also, I think if he had 2 or 3 decent movies under his belt, like say... Shyamalan and anything he made after the 6th Sense, then I think Darko would've done rather well despite the movie being semi difficult to market.

The Rock is kind've annoying me in that he has everything needed to be the next Arnold or Bruce Willis but he can't seem to get behind any good projects.

Anyways, even if Southland Tales is more a miss than a hit, I hope Kelly pumps out quirky, interesting movies for the next 30 years. Same with Aronofsky, etc.