PDA

View Full Version : Something on my mind.

mike627
12-08-2006, 03:39 AM
Why do some people think that if the brand extention wolud end then the Attitude era wolud magically return? look,the Boom of the 90's was awesome,but it has long been over and nothing will bring that back no matter what Vince and others wolud have you think.Also,ending the split won't change the fact that Vince has a shitty creative team that's driving wrestlers away.

El Fangel
12-08-2006, 03:44 AM
It would end the need for so much storyline writing as it would likely revert back to wwe, inter, tag, cw, womans titles. and storylines and matches, and feud possibilitys would become much more diverse, not saying better, but all the options would be there, Im just saying if they had every conceiveable option of making a great show/ppv and didn't then we would have something to really bitch about.

Also I though I spelt Whould funny.

St. Jimmy
12-08-2006, 03:48 AM
Because SmackDown is meh and ECW is terrible.

Londoner
12-08-2006, 04:11 AM
Erm, i think you have been misinterpreting what the people who want the roster split to end are saying. i'm one of those people who want it to end because of 1) Lots of wrestlers get injured, which happened on smackdown and there's no back up, 2) there's barely any main eventers and not enough people on the roster that can step up their game,, 3) They repeat the same matches almost every week now 4) it decreases the number of possible feuds, 5)it splits the company in half and weakens both shows. I could go on and on. But i haven't had any sleep so i wont bother.

El Fangel
12-08-2006, 04:16 AM
I agree TL, If it were only one brand again, there would be likely the same amount of 1, more in the way of 2, less of 3 as there are more people to put in matchups, 4 would definatly be increased, and if the writer are observant they would know what to do. and all this together would make 5 definate wrong.

NeanderCarl
12-08-2006, 04:19 AM
The brand extention really doesn't achieve much anymore. It was a good idea in concept, but now that they have established two seperate house show crews (the principle, money-making incentive behind the brand split) they could get rid of the brand split, and still run two seperate house show crews.

What's more, they could evenly divide their REAL stars, who mainly reside on Raw at the moment.

The benefits? Increased exposure for guys who are "heating up" like CM Punk and Ken Kennedy, who could show up two or three times a week instead of having just one day per week to get over.

The downside? Having to drag feuds out for three shows per week instead of just one, meaning that if PPVs are four weeks apart, it is conceivable that feuding wrestlers will have had 12 angles, matches or confrontations between PPVs.

I mean, the things I have mentioned don't cover every facet of the pros/cons to re-combining the brands. And like you say, if anything the writing would only get worse if they recombined all three rosters. I would be all for combining Raw and SmackDown again, and keeping ECW seperate (until it slowly dies on its own).

NeanderCarl
12-08-2006, 04:21 AM
Barring that, send 2 of the BIG Raw stars to SmackDown, air it live every Friday and change the name. It needs an image overhaul big time for fans to stop perceiving it as the B-show. (Which it is, and which WWE intends it to be).

El Fangel
12-08-2006, 04:32 AM
I think what everyone would like is a pre 2000 WWE, where you could see the same wrestlers every week, the angles, storys and such were very good, and the sheer number of moments that we look back upon and still mark out to ( I.E Taker, Kane's return which was posted, SCSA ass whooping, Jericho's it never happened). If wrestling raised the bar back to this standard again. It would be doing much better then it is right now.

XL
12-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Barring that, send 2 of the BIG Raw stars to SmackDown, air it live every Friday and change the name. It needs an image overhaul big time for fans to stop perceiving it as the B-show. (Which it is, and which WWE intends it to be).
I concur.

SD! only needs a few people shipped over.

They have a lot of wrestlers over ther but seem short on the entertainers.

I tune into SD! to watch Regal, Finlay, Benoit, London, Kendrick, Helms, Yang, Noble who always put stellar performances together. Add to this Kane, Chavo, Hardy, Idol, Stevens and you have a very good base for some good wrestling.

If Jericho returns to WWE I'd like to see him on SD! it even fits his storyline firing.

Send Benjamin over, he's consistently wasted on Raw.

They also need someone like Shawn Michaels. But that's never gonna happen. By all accounts he turned down the chance to move over and become champ at the beginning of the year.

I think those 3 people on SD! would create something akin to the times of the SmackDown! Six in terms of wrestling quality.

Here's a question...if you could move one person from Raw to SD! to increase ratings, who would it be??

Having mentioned HBK, Shelton and Jericho I'd actually go with HHH.

He seems to think he pulls the numbers up all by himself. Let him prove it. Shit, let him book it if it works for him.

Kane Knight
12-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Why do some people think that if the brand extention wolud end then the Attitude era wolud magically return? look,the Boom of the 90's was awesome,but it has long been over and nothing will bring that back no matter what Vince and others wolud have you think.Also,ending the split won't change the fact that Vince has a shitty creative team that's driving wrestlers away.

The 90s didn't have to be a boom. Bad booking and egos destroyed it. A true boom is something that cannot be helped, due to the nature of a market. The problem is, Vince failed to learn his lesson from the Hulkamania era.

.44 Magdalene
12-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Ending the split won't bring back the Attitude era's success, but it's sure as fuck a dandy start.

.44 Magdalene
12-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Also, I don't think "Vince and others" would have us think that ending the split would bring the boom back. I don't even know why you said that.

tucsonspeed6
12-08-2006, 04:33 PM
No, I think he said that no matter what anyone does, the Attitude era won't come back, even though Vince tries to pretend that it is by bringing back DX. He said that ending the split is an idea by the IWC, but he thinks that it wouldn't work either.

I disagree with that, though. The attitude era was just the name given to the biggest and most recent boom in wrestling. Another boom will happen, and whether or not you call it the new attitude era or not is just semantics.

M-A-G
12-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm not even going to touch this one.

Mr. Nerfect
12-10-2006, 11:10 PM
I would like to see the split end, just because it is better than the shit they have now.

If the split happens, the shows would get a sense of unpredictability back to them. Paul London & Brian Kendrick vs. William Regal & Dave Taylor could happen on a Monday night, or even a Tuesday night...live rather than taped. It'd just be a welcome shake-up to things.

Champions would see a little more special, as they dominate over four shows (Heat included) instead of just one. It'd help to have commentators that know what they are doing able to fill in on RAW, as well. Have ECW replaced with a new wrestling show, and have Heat become more than just a recap show. It'd be much more entertaining, and might bring back that "can't miss" feel to the wrestling of the week.

That "can't miss" quality is what spawned the Attitude era, in the first place. If you can't miss WWE programming one week, then it is bound to bring you back the next, and the next. Compelling television is what is lacking, and although ending the brand split wouldn't fix that, it would certainly make it more a reality.

M-A-G
12-11-2006, 05:34 PM
How about just getting writers willing to come up with compelling television. Combining the rosters doesn't get rid of bad writing, wrestlers being told to dumb it down, people not getting pushes, and stupid, pointless skits. The large cluster of talent would mean one of three things:

1. The fat gets trimmed.
2. The same people show up on the two main shows.
3. They realize the problem of too much talent and just have certain people show up on certain shows WHICH IS WHAT THE SPLIT IS ALL ABOUT!