PDA

View Full Version : help ( nhl financial info)

sadio8
02-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Alrighty for my business class I have to do a presentation on the currenty financial situation of the NHL ( seeing how there may be a lockout due to financial problems). Only thing is the article has to have been printed/released in the month of February. So far I have found this from nhl.com
http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/news/2004/02/203530.html

Was wondering if anyone can possibly help me find some articles on like the financial information in a bit more detail, as well as possible rule changes that have been suggested to make the game better. Thankies in advance!

road doggy dogg
02-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Hmmm I dunno, try checking out www.tsn.ca/nhl
www.sportsline.com/nhl
sports.espn.go.com/nhl

Usually they have all the latest "headlines" and news about the NHL and all. Look for past articles within the month or so, surely you'll find something helpful...

Gertner
02-15-2004, 10:46 AM
lol saido. if you want info. find me on msn. psycosis61@hotmail.com i can give you everything.

sadio8
02-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Alrighty i will. Also another general question here since i am not too smart when it comes to this kinda stuff. But the NHLPA and the NHL( owners and whatnot) are trying to work out a new collective bargining agreement, correct? So my question is like what kind of stuff are they trying to work out in the new collective bargining agreement? Would be stuff like rules changes, eqipement changes, salary caps, and reveunue's? Sorry, i know this sounds like a very odd/dumb question but yeah i am kinda confused here( case you did not notice) :\

da_king
02-15-2004, 12:58 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">

it's the owners contention that they are losing money and are trying to use the CBA as a means to fix the problem. the main issue seems to be a salary cap of some form that the owners want to try to put in place and that the players are dead set against. either than this i'm not really sure what other issues they're trying to work out, i don't think stuff like rule changes need to be included in the deal, then owners can do that anytime without player approval i think.

</font>

sadio8
02-15-2004, 01:04 PM
thanks for the info Daking. I know definately for sure the salary cap is the major issue since well there is no set salary cap as of right now. But if anyone has anymore info please do share :)

YOUR Hero
02-15-2004, 06:46 PM
It's about the NHL wanting a salary cap.

Gertner
02-16-2004, 08:13 AM
the rule changes, equiptment issues is a totaly separate issue from the CBA.

sadio8
02-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up Gernter and to everyone I really really appreciate it alot. Just a question here. I have to say for my presentation how the lockout would affect business. So my question is, lets just say a lockout does happen. Does that mean that players/coaches/managers/refs basically everyone in the NHL and NHLPA would NOT get paid untill a new contract is reached? Also if a lockout did occur would the unemployment rate be affected? And finally was wondering if anyone could list the people would be effected if a lockout occured( by the position)... So far i got: Players, Managers, Coaches, Refs , Cleaning Crew at arenas, Venders, People who sell tickets to hockey games, Scouts, Trainers, Medical Personal,... anyone else willing to help me think of more?

I realize that some of my questions are probably stupid, and some of my answers for the above list may be and probably are wrong. So if anyone can help me out tis be appreciated thanks!

BCWWF
02-20-2004, 07:18 PM
It would be interesting if you displayed your final paper in this thread when its done.

YOUR Hero
02-20-2004, 08:29 PM
restaurants, bars that are close to arenas. As well as hotels would all be affected. They are of course spinoffs, but they'd be affected none the less.

sadio8
02-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks Hero :) and yeah BCWWF i'll post it when i am done. Any other takers to my questions ( looks at Gertner ;) )

da_king
02-21-2004, 12:24 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
i don't know if coaches/managers would still get paid or not. they must if they're not part of the CBA. also tellevision sations would be affected as well in addition to revenue generated by ads durring hockey programming. also there's talk of there not being a draft this year if there's a lock out which affects the minor leaguers and possibly stregthens junior/college hockey teams.

</font>

sadio8
02-22-2004, 01:41 AM
Hotness :) Thanks da_king :) Anyone else can tell me who else is effected by the lockout? The more the merrier :)

road doggy dogg
02-22-2004, 01:56 AM
This isn't totally related, but about what da_king said... I'd assume that they would still have a draft next season, just "in case", I guess. So if they do come to an agreement say, halfway through the season, they'll have all their draft picks and whatnot.

And if they do indeed take a whole year (at least) off, they probably will have like a raffle for the next season's picks.

I dunnnnno

MoRcHeEbA
02-22-2004, 02:20 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">
i don't know if coaches/managers would still get paid or not. they must if they're not part of the CBA. also tellevision sations would be affected as well in addition to revenue generated by ads durring hockey programming. also there's talk of there not being a draft this year if there's a lock out which affects the minor leaguers and possibly stregthens junior/college hockey teams.

</font>

im pretty sure coaches and managers still get paid because they fall under the nhl part and not the nhlpa. if there is a lockout I don't think it would start till after the draft anyways so that wouldn't be affected. I'm also sure that fox and abc wouldn't be the saddest people if they didn't have to show hockey games in the states where they've done nothing but lost money in the american market. tv stations in canada would be affected as per HNIC other then that it's just the players that are gonna lose money in the long run.

also the owners should just hire scabs :cool:

sadio8
02-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all the information guys it has been very helpful to say the least. I showed my notes to my teacher before i do my presentation( in a couple of days). He said it was really good but he was hoping i can include information on how the lockout would effect the management for each team( coach, genernal manger, assistant coach, president, vice president, etc). He said if i can go into a lot of detail about that it would really help my presentation. So this is my last question( promise). how the lockout would effect the management for each team( coach, genernal manger, assistant coach, president, vice president, etc). :D

Thanks once again in advance for all the help really appreciate it !

MoRcHeEbA
02-25-2004, 09:57 PM
coach, genernal manger, assistant coach, president, vice president, etc... non would be hurt by it. the basic way to break down the two sides of this lock out is that the players are on one side. Everyone else (coaches,gm's,owners,refs, etc...) are all on the other they're more like just a third party that's basically not involved at all. if the owners could pay the players the amount of money they spend on coaces and gms' and what not non of this would be happening.

sadio8
02-26-2004, 03:59 PM
hhhm thanks alot. Hopefully i can just bullshit something to the class when i do my presentation

sadio8
02-28-2004, 10:24 AM
i gots to ask 2 questions to my class during my presentation here is one of the questions:

After playing the 1993-94 NHL season without a collective bargaining agreement, many people predicted that training camps for the 1994-95 NHL season would not open.

While players were willing to play the season as negotiations on a new CBA continued, Gary Bettman (commissioner of the NHL) was determined to resolve the situation before the season started.

To the surprise of many, NHL camps did open on Sept. 1, but the season never started. On Oct. 1, the league's owners locked out the NHL's 600 players.

The lockout ended on Jan 11, 1995, after 104 days, and games resumed Jan. 20. A total of 468 games were lost.

10 years later the bargaining agreement signed in 1995 will expire on September 15th, 2004. Once again the NHL (owners) are stating that if no contract is reached then they will lockout (not pay) the NHLPA (NHL players) unless a new agreement can be reached.

So my question that I will be asking to my class when I do my presentation is:

1. The NHL owners have stated if no contract is agreed then they will once again lockout (not pay) the NHL players until a new agreement is reached. When they know based on reports that 4 NHL teams by not survive in the NHL if a whole or even part of the season is lost. My question is do you (the class) feel what the NHL owners are doing is ethical by once again locking out the players? Or should they just negotiate with the NHLPA during the 2004-2005 season (season would still be on)?

You guys think this question is good to get a class discussion? Or should i change/re-word the question. I am welcome to all critisim/comments/suggestions :)