PDA

View Full Version : There are too many PPVS

The Naitch
12-16-2006, 06:14 PM
back in the day, every PPV meant something

I was flipping the channel and noticed some gay ass Armageddon promo. What the fuck, totally pointless

Now we have too many. It waters it down. The PPVs are all pointless these days, except for Mania, Rumble, and SummerSlam

Londoner
12-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Agreed. Less PPV's=better imo. And don't forget there will be ECW PPV's now to.

The One
12-16-2006, 06:29 PM
There have been too many PPVs since it was bumped up to 10 a year.

I would like to see WWE have 9 PPVs (The three biggies, and 2 RAW, SmackDown, and ECW exclusive ones), and then TNA have 4 PPVs. That would still be pretty heavy on the PPV schedual, but it could still work.

While we're on the topic, back when the PPV scene become one a month for WCW and WWE, they had two shows to build up to (or at least a 3 hours show)...now there is one show per brand, they each have they own month PPV with the occasional cross promotion one, and in TNA's case they have a total of 4 hours per month, to build up to a 3 hour PPV. Stupid if you ask me.

Innovator
12-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Armageddon is the 5th wrestling PPV in a row, way too many PPVs

Londoner
12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
^ eh? 5th wrestling ppv in a row? What do you mean by that?

The One
12-16-2006, 06:59 PM
I think he means 5th weekend in a row.

McLegend
12-16-2006, 07:01 PM
And then you add to the fact that WWE PPVS cost $40.00, and that just drives point home even more.

The One
12-16-2006, 07:04 PM
WWE PPVs are FOURTY BUCKS now??? I thought that was the price for WrestleManias. Thank god I stopped ordering PPVs years ago...

Londoner
12-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I think he means 5th weekend in a row.

Ok yeah I get it. That's a bit over the top though, considering the current state of wrestling, it justs eems ridiculous for there to be so many.

McLegend
12-16-2006, 07:12 PM
WWE PPVs are FOURTY BUCKS now??? I thought that was the price for WrestleManias. Thank god I stopped ordering PPVs years ago...
Price for Wrestlemania is $50.00

Also I fucked up The price is now $45.00 for a regular PPV.

My bad

Crippla
12-16-2006, 07:16 PM
There are definately way too many PPVs a year. There were a lot already but having more than one in one month is just ridiculus. I think it should be cut back down to 10 being exactly what Tovo said except I'd also like to see the King of the Ring brought back so we have our FOUR big PPVs again.

The One
12-16-2006, 07:20 PM
With PPVs avalible the next day on the internet for free, why would anyone order a PPV...ever?

McLegend
12-16-2006, 07:22 PM
With PPVs avalible the next day on the internet for free, why would anyone order a PPV...ever?
Seeing live as it is happening and not knowing what is going to happen is worth paying for sometimes.

Usually worth it for like a WM or a UFC PPV.

The One
12-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I order UFC PPVs, because they are still worth my money and I don't feel ripped off as soon as the show is over.

Maybe WrestleMania (though I havn't ORDERED a WrestleMania for a few years now...)

But for the most part, you can not read spoilers and have the PPV on your computer before the next show even starts. I don't see why you would want to pay...

Xero
12-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I am only willing to bet that I will buy Mania (and the DVD, so it comes out to about $75 all together). Any other PPV is more than likely not going to be bought by me, although I do at least consider the Big Four.

They really should start something where if you buy the PPV you get the DVD as well (or for like $5 extra or something)...

Stickman
12-16-2006, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=The One]Yeah, I order UFC PPVs, because they are still worth my money and I don't feel ripped off as soon as the show is over.

QUOTE]

Tito/Shamrock, Sylvia/Arlovski?

The One
12-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Rumbles use to be my favorite PPV of the year...oh well...

Crippla
12-16-2006, 07:28 PM
I would buy either WrestleMania or Royal Rumble(only because I'm such a mark for the match itself.) but other than that I don't think I will buy any other PPV for a while. I ordered Unforgiven because the card looked somewhat decent at the time but it just wasn't worth buying.

The One
12-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Tito/Shamrock, Sylvia/Arlovski?

Shamrock was done for, he might have lasted another 5 to 10 seconds, but that's it. Plus I never liked Ken, and I was expecting it to be a short fight.

Sylvia is a fat useless bitch who's only function seems to be to remind me to order a Pizza...which I usually do during his matches.

A potential point might be, the under card is usually worth the money alone before you even get to the prize fights. So in the end, I don't feel ripped off.

Caged Heat18
12-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Pay per views have become just another show these days except that you have to pay fourty dollars for it. They are not special anymore, which is such a shame. I hardly ever order a ppv, but if I hear it was good I might buy it on DVD for a much cheaper price and generally knowing if its good or not.

addy2hotty
12-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Lets be honest, you've got to be a hardcore 'its still real to me dammit' type of fan to be ordering Armageddon on Sunday, its free here in the UK, but I still probably won't bother.

The Rumble is still the only PPV I'll order, but what with them blowing their collective loads at the WWE and giving it to us 3 months early, I probably won't even bother with that, especially if it's anything like the shitfest it was last year (Rumble not last, Cena coming in on a lowered fucking stage that to this day I still don't know why they fucking bothered or what the fuck it was supposed to be about).

Londoner
12-16-2006, 10:02 PM
^ Armageddon is on Sky Box Office over here in the Uk actually, saw them advertise it.

Mr. Nerfect
12-17-2006, 03:43 AM
Armageddon will be pretty good. I'm going to order it (yes, I know, I'm a fool) just because I'm really hoping that combined powers of Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Gregory Helms, William Regal, Dave Taylor, James Yun, Chavo Guerrero and Chris Benoit won't let me down.

SmackDown! usually follows (somewhat) a stream of logic. I can actually predict what's going to happen on the following edition of SmackDown!, or an extra match on the PPV, just by watching a show. It's refreshing to the "random RAW" style.

I think they need to cull down the number of WWE PPVs a year to 12, though. Make them all interpromotional, although you can have some have more of a brand bias. Royal Rumble in January, No Way Out in February, WrestleMania in March, Backlash in April, Judgment Day in May, King of the Ring in June, The Great American Bash in July, Summerslam in August, Unforgiven in September, Cyber Sunday in October, Survivor Series in November and Armageddon in December. New Year's Revolution, Vengeance and No Mercy are dropped. Have an ECW PPV occasionally, but for the love of God, keep WWE out.

addy2hotty
12-17-2006, 09:01 AM
^ Armageddon is on Sky Box Office over here in the Uk actually, saw them advertise it.

Funny, I haven't even seen it advertised. Suffice to say, I won't be ordering it.

Chavo Classic
12-17-2006, 09:28 AM
I guess that staying up to 4am when I have to up three hours later for work on a Monday morning is some equivalent to ordering a PPV. Sure I'm not giving away my cash, but I'm putting in a lot of effort to watch.

What I'm trying to say is that no PPV since ONS 2 has made me want to make this investment. There are simply too many of them, and as it has rightly already been said this has two problems -

a) Not enough time to build up the matches. The most extreme example would be December to Dismember. The card was grossly underprepared with only two matches announced. Even with Smackdown and Raw PPV there just isn't enough time to build decent feuds and rally interest.

Five years ago there was 4 hours of television, and occassionally an extra hour with Heat, to develop a story. But since the brand split and the introduction of new events, there just isn't enough time to create anything that we haven't already seem or that doesn't seem rushed.

B) Saturation. I couldn't guarantee that if the WWE condensed Armageddon and D2D into one event there would be higher buyrates, but I would hazard a pretty strong guess that this would be the case. I haven't met a fan obsessive enough to buy this many PPVs.