PDA

View Full Version : Where is Cena on the list of 'drawing' champions?

addy2hotty
12-16-2006, 09:41 PM
One of you know-it-alls must know.

El Fangel
12-16-2006, 11:23 PM
pretty high im guessing as he draws like 99% of the female viewer audience.

Dorkchop
12-17-2006, 01:47 AM
pretty high im guessing as he draws like 99% of the female viewer audience.

and child. And female child.

Chavo Classic
12-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Below Kevin Nash

Crippla
12-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Below Kevin Nash
Well, Kevin Nash is the biggest draw of all time....

The One
12-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Do you know how hard that would be to calculate? Also,are you talking merch sales, ticket sales, TV ratings, PPV buy rates, what? Tell me how you would like to measure drawing, and I will throw together a decent (not complete) list of Champs and where they fall...

addy2hotty
12-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Do you know how hard that would be to calculate? Also,are you talking merch sales, ticket sales, TV ratings, PPV buy rates, what? Tell me how you would like to measure drawing, and I will throw together a decent (not complete) list of Champs and where they fall...

I would never ask you to do such a thing. I only asked as I thought that some of the stat-freaks might have the information to hand.

But if you get bored over the next week or so, let's measure it on Merch/ticket/PPV. If anyone disagrees, say now or forever hold your collective peace's.

What Would Kevin Do?
12-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Slight problem.

Merch sales can be attributed to him. However, ticket/PPV sales aren't definitly due to him. There are other wrestlers/stories/factors, etc, that can contribute.

Merchandise sales, and maybe something like segment ratings would be a better assessment IMO.

M-A-G
12-18-2006, 04:34 PM
I'd rank him somewhere below Bret Hart if that helps.

CSL
12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
I'd rank him somewhere below Bret Hart if that helps.

<font color=white>So basically, pretty low then...</font>

M-A-G
12-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah, my list looks like this:

1. Austin (screw you Hogan marks. Austin made Vince A BILLIONAIRE)
2. Hogan (see? I'm nice)
3. Rock
4. Ric Flair
5. Sammartino
6. Backlund
7. Goldberg
8. Savage
9. Sting
10. Rhodes
11. Bret

Destor
12-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Psh, HBK drew more than Bret... also the Rock NEVER drew as a stand alone star. Everything plummeted everytime Steve Austin went away. The Rock was a supporting man, and only a supporting man.

M-A-G
12-18-2006, 05:42 PM
It's my list so there. :p

Xero
12-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Psh, HBK drew more than Bret... also the Rock NEVER drew as a stand alone star. Everything plummeted everytime Steve Austin went away. The Rock was a supporting man, and only a supporting man.
To be honest, once you get up to 1980+ or so I would say that, for ONE person draws (IE, not relying on feuds or good/huge matches), Hogan was the only one to be a massively significant draw. Everyone else relied on who they feuded or was associated with to make them draw (Flair had the Horsemen, Dusty, etc. Austin had McMahon and Rock.), but you could have put Hogan in the ring with anybody and people would buy tickets JUST to see Hogan lay them out. I don't think anyone else can say that about the height of their career.

Kane Knight
12-18-2006, 10:03 PM
So basically, pretty low then...

Eight Cents or less.

Kane Knight
12-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Slight problem.

Merch sales can be attributed to him. However, ticket/PPV sales aren't definitly due to him. There are other wrestlers/stories/factors, etc, that can contribute.

Merchandise sales, and maybe something like segment ratings would be a better assessment IMO.

Yeah, but people generally attribute successes and failures to the top guy.

Stickman
12-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Eight Cents or less.

Don't forget the Canadian currency exchange rate.

The MAC
12-19-2006, 05:56 PM
brets Drawing was a strange thing, bret drew worldwide.He drew canada, germany, india, japan etc. Apart from Hogan,flair Bret drew more than most worldwide at a time when wrestling was at a low point. He can outdraw Hogan today just by say "i may show up"

The One
12-19-2006, 06:18 PM
OK...so I spent some (actually a LOT of) time and made a list of all the champions during the RAW era. The first number under their name is the highest RAW rating acheived during any of their title runs. The second number is the lowest RAW rating. Enjoy...and by the way, rep me up cause this took a bit of work...

Angle, Kurt

Austin, Steve

Batista, Dave

Benoit, Chris

Big Show, The

Cena, John

Diesel

Edge

Foley, Mick

Goldberg, Bill

Hart, Bret

Hogan, Hulk

Jericho, Chris

Kane

Michaels, Shawn as WWE Champion

Michaels, Shawn as World Champion

McMahon, Vince

Orton, Randy

Rock, The

Sid

Triple H as WWE Champion

Triple H as World Champion

Undertaker, The

Van Dam, Rob

Destor
12-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Sid

How long until D-Mac says this never happend?

addy2hotty
12-20-2006, 11:15 AM
OK...so I spent some (actually a LOT of) time and made a list of all the champions during the RAW era. The first number under their name is the highest RAW rating acheived during any of their title runs. The second number is the lowest RAW rating. Enjoy...and by the way, rep me up cause this took a bit of work...

You must spread it around blah blah blah.....

addy2hotty
12-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Diesel

Corrected....:lol:

Jeritron
12-20-2006, 12:13 PM

What about in 2000 when he was champion and was selling merchandise like crazy, had a best selling book, was "cool" to like and was hosting Saturday Night Live and being invited to all kinds of awards shows and sporting events and such? Not to mention the fact he continues to draw audiences to movies in a starring role one his name alone years after retirement.

Jeritron
12-20-2006, 12:21 PM
And as for Cena, I suppose he can't be very high for the list.

Though he may be the top drawing star in the company at the time (maybe), its not really saying too much since they've gone out of their way to make it that way. I wonder how much of what hes drawn would still be there if you took away the novelty of the spinning belt which is most likely Cenas biggest asset in drawing haha.

I'd even venture to say that secondary stars have drawn more than him in the past.

Highest drawing champion of all time is Austin followed closely by Hogan, and Rock easily takes third.
The worst drawing champion is probably Sid.
Some critics say Shawn could never draw, and the numbers may support this in some ways. But its no a fair theory since at the time the company was in the pits and getting the crap kicked out of them. They might not have been drawing much as a company, but what they were, the champion Shawn was drawing almost all of.

The MAC
12-20-2006, 04:49 PM
wheres david arquette on the list?

addy2hotty
12-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Highest drawing champion of all time is Austin followed closely by Hogan, and Rock easily takes third.
The worst drawing champion is probably Sid.
Some critics say Shawn could never draw, and the numbers may support this in some ways. But its no a fair theory since at the time the company was in the pits and getting the crap kicked out of them. They might not have been drawing much as a company, but what they were, the champion Shawn was drawing almost all of.

How are you coming to these conclusions? If you are working from The One's list, then Show, Kane and Foley all drew more than Hogan.

As for Shawn and Bret, when they both traded the title, neither drew a dime.

M-A-G
12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
So you're saying no one ever paid money to see a Bret Hart match or a Shawn Michaels match? Because that's basically the whole idea of being a draw.

Kane Knight
12-20-2006, 08:32 PM
The lowest rating for Edge should actually be 3.7, unless he had a title reign I'm unaware of. I was following the Neilsen top 10 at the time, and his lowest rating was 3.7, which was about average fro Raw at that time. As a matter of fact, it was the same rating as Cena's last Raw as champ before the 3 week reign.

Kane Knight
12-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Don't forget the Canadian currency exchange rate.

Flair's American, right?

loopydate
12-20-2006, 10:00 PM
I was going to do a comparison of PPV buyrates, but most of the '06 PPVs haven't had official buyrate announcements yet. Most of them are still estimates, which makes ranking Cena's reign hard to gauge, since he's been the top guy most of the year.

Vastardikai
12-21-2006, 01:47 AM
I always thought Shawn was the bigger domestic draw, while Bret was a bigger draw World-Wide.

The MAC
12-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Shawn was the bigger draw in the U.S. Worldwide Bret outdrew him.

Drawing is all dependent on how you look at it. How do you compare drawing power when the business was in a slump (not because of the champion but because of the natural fluctuation in audience interest) VS times when everyone on the street wore a wrestling t-shirt ?

The Naitch
12-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Who was the champ during around the time of THIS IS YOUR LIFE v.1

James Steele
12-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Who was the champ during around the time of THIS IS YOUR LIFE v.1

Triple H