PDA

View Full Version : Rate the Game: Week 3

M-A-G
12-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Tallying the votes from last week I've discovered that NBA scored an average 4.05 out of 5 with you while 4 of you said it's foreign territory. I'm wondering what kind of sex dreams those were. Anyways, 2 games down, 48 left in the container. Time to pull one out so we can rate it. This week's game is....

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PlayStation)

Brief Game Information: Released almost 3 years after its sleeper hit predecessor, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Soul Reaver took the saga of the nobleman-turned-vampire savior to the next level by putting it into a 3D playing field and delivering a twist on the storyline established plus a new hero of sorts. None other than who the title describes, Raziel, the Soul Reaver. Players took control of the undead hero on what seemed like a simple revenge storyline but while traversing the plains of Nosgoth discovered so much more than meets the eye. Gameplay involved plenty of exploring and puzzle solving, gaining inane powers by destroying vampire lieutenants and a unique "realm-shifiting" feature that added depth and strategy as Raziel switched between two different planes of reality. This entry in the series opened the doors to the sequel Soul Reaver 2 and culminated the storyline in the final entry, Defiance.

So how does this game rate with you? Vote honestly and enthusiastically. Until next week.

Mister Sinister
12-20-2006, 08:18 PM

Great Game, that the energy and just ultimate coolness factor, never really followed in the sequal...

Kain is the man.

Edit...Sorry, didn't see the poll above this...in that case, a solid 4.

ClockShot
12-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Absolutely love the entire franchise. Hoping Eidos gets the ball rolling again and cranks out another one.

M-A-G
12-23-2006, 02:04 AM
It's pretty tough when Defiance wrapped a lot of the loose ends (why Raziel needed Ariel's essence, what happened with Turel, Mobius' death). I'd love another one but it just wouldn't feel the same.

M-A-G
12-23-2006, 02:07 AM
I had to give this one a 4. As phenomenal of a game this was in my view and so entrapping and deep, it was too tedious at times. Too many block puzzles and too much backtracking (well, if you wanted to find all the stuff). That kept it from getting a perfect score in my opinion. Everything else from the gameplay to the story to the atmosphere to the music (my God, the music kicks ass) was exceptional though.

Crippla
12-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Haven't played it.

M-A-G
12-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Cause you're too busy getting banned and everything! Go out and get it! :rant:

Crippla
12-23-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm banned from the video store too.

M-A-G
12-23-2006, 11:35 AM
It's a game worth owning. You don't RENT Legacy of Kain! You LIVE it!

Crippla
12-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Well, sell me on the game then. Why should I buy it?

M-A-G
12-23-2006, 11:47 AM
It's gonna be pretty tough considering you'd have had to play it's predecessor, Blood Omen, to really understand what the hell is going on. And being into vampires certainly won't hurt.

Basically, there's a head vampire in charge named Kain who used to be a normal human but was killed and resurrected as a vampire by a necromancer as part of a plot to save the decaying land of Nosgoth (where the whole thing takes place). After refusing to sacrifice himself for the good of the world he instead chooses to establish an empire of vampires with himself as the head honcho. (I'm skipping over a LOT of details but that's the gist of it).

So at the beginning of Soul Reaver (this game) we see Kain in charge and surrounded by 6 lieutenant vampires that he created. One of them is named Raziel, the oldest. (About 1000 years have passed) For some reason, Raziel evolves to the point where he grows wings which incites Kain (for mysterious reasons) to rip them off and have his other lieutenants toss him into the abyss where he is expected to die. It appears on the surface that this was done out of jealously.

Lo and behold, Raziel does not die during his tumble into the abyss although his corpse pretty much rots into nothing more than spare skin and bones and no jaw. He's resurrected by a force called the Elder God and is charged with the task of slaying his former vampire brethren and feeding on their souls (hence Soul Reaver). Although it appears mere moments have passed since his death and resurrection, in truth, entire centuries have gone by leaving Raziel to find Kain and slay him as payback.

That's basically the whole point of the game but as mentioned as you go through it, a lot of plot elements are developed and bigger mysteries are brought forth. The game is reliant on a lot of storytelling elements (cutscenes, syllioquies) and puzzle solving. It's not for everyone but it's worth a shot.

Crippla
12-23-2006, 11:50 AM
That actually sounds interesting tbh. I think I'll have to go check it out. Good job.:y:

Impeccable
12-24-2006, 03:27 AM
Loved it. I remember when I first got my PlayStation. There was a demo disc and it had a whole level of the game on it. That made me purchase it.