PDA

View Full Version : Best hype worker?

BigDaddyCool
01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Which wrestler do you think can get the best/biggest hype for a match so the match seems almost moot compared to the hype?

I would think the front runners for that would be either Kevin Nash or Undertaker.

Pepsi Man
01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair, in my opinion. Ric Flair could have an upcoming match against a fucking WWF Wrestling Buddy (or whatever those were called) and hype it up as the biggest match of his career.

Dave Youell
01-30-2007, 02:42 PM
The Rock, best promo guy of his era, could make you believe anything

Inadequacy
01-30-2007, 02:55 PM
If it's just "the hype is bigger than the match" it's Nash, Shelley and the paparazzi all the way.

The Icon of Elisim
01-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Cmon, the Rock easy.

Jeritron
01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Undertaker easily. Are you kidding me, its all about hype with him. Take for instance his match with Kane at WMXX. They hyped his return and his entrance up for months, to the point that it became the most anticipated match of the night (for marks and some smarks alike) and ended up being a squash.

Rammsteinmad
01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Undertaker easily. Are you kidding me, its all about hype with him. Take for instance his match with Kane at WMXX. They hyped his return and his entrance up for months, to the point that it became the most anticipated match of the night (for marks and some smarks alike) and ended up being a squash.

Stickman
01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Definatly Ric Flair. Especially in WCW. But one thing I'll remember about him hyping a match was against HHH for the belt on Raw. I really thought he might actually pull it off.

Jeritron
01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Undertaker has had some great matches, but most of the time its to the point with him that the hype is go great that once the bell rings the funs basically over. You get fists of fury, old school, a dive over the top ropes, a situp and a tombstone. Don't get me wrong, I love Taker and much of what he's done in the actual ring but he's the biggest example of pre-match hype ever.
Half of the time they hype his big matches up to the point where they want you to believe he's gonna kill and embalm the damn guy in the ring. He displays magical acts and performs crucifictions and gives biblical promos. Everyone has and continues to love it, so they mark but everyone knows its gonna be a squash or the occasional clash of the titans.

Sting Fan
01-31-2007, 02:14 AM
I know he had little to do with it via Mic work or anything but Goldberg was alwas hotly anticipated when he fought a big name.

Jeritron
01-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Yes, Goldberg probably takes the silver medal.

FourFifty
02-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Why hasn't anyone said Stone Cold Steve Austin?

Jeritron
02-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Because he was an overall good worker. Everything about him was great. He would certainly have hyped matches, but the matches themselves would live up. Plus he was a week to week draw and not just hyping up main events to be the big deal.

Maybe I'm interpreting the topic wrong or differently, but the best canidates for this would be Undertaker, Goldberg, maybe Ultimate Warrior and in recent years Hulk Hogan.

FourFifty
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
What the fuck? Because he was an overall good worker? So 5000, are you looking for someone to pull off a shitty match with hard core hype?
Vince McMahon.

The Optimist
02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I was going to say Goldberg, especially WCW Goldberg.

Jeritron
02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
What the fuck? Because he was an overall good worker? So 5000, are you looking for someone to pull off a shitty match with hard core hype?
Vince McMahon.

It said best hype worker in terms that the payoff match seems moot compared to the hype. I'd say thats Undertaker/Goldberg territory. Not because the matches are so bad, but because the hype is so big.

Simply not the case with Austin, he's only hyped because hes so over but the match itself, and his entrance every week is just as big as any of the hype.

Just doesn't come off as a "hype" worker to me.

Impeccable
02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
It said best hype worker in terms that the payoff match seems moot compared to the hype. I'd say thats Undertaker/Goldberg territory. Not because the matches are so bad, but because the hype is so big.

Simply not the case with Austin, he's only hyped because hes so over but the match itself, and his entrance every week is just as big as any of the hype.

Just doesn't come off as a "hype" worker to me.

I agree. Austin could work...see Austin/Hart and Austin/Benoit for specific examples.

You were also always on the edge of your seat in an austin match. Never moot!

Jeritron
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Also because, like The Rock, Austin matches were "storytellers" and involved the crowd a lot. Certainly living up to the hype, plus they weren't just hyped up for the payoff matches, they maintained their aura day in day out.

Nothing against Taker or Goldbergs success, but the entertainment in them has always been "hes coming for you and he can't be stopped" and its hyped up as a death sentence for the PPV, then after the long extravagant entrance the majority of the fun is over. Its a matter of several moves and a squash more than likely. The crowd definitely gets more into the hype of these guys than the matches themselves.

Nothing against them, I think Undertaker is solid and Goldberg is at times underrated, but they're definitely "hype workers"