PDA

View Full Version : USA vs. Holland

BCWWF
02-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Is this game tonight? (Sorry, I couldn't find the older post, but this can be the game post)

Does anyone know game time or probable lineups?

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Soccer game? I thought I just saw it on ESPN2 a little while ago..

USA vs Neitherlands and it was 0-0 when I was watching

BCWWF
02-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Oh so I missed it? Damn, it must have been in Europe then. My bad. Anyway, anyone who watched can discuss the game here.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-18-2004, 04:24 PM
I dunno how long soccer games last but it started at 2:30 Eastern Time

Might still be on

BCWWF
02-18-2004, 04:36 PM
I just looked at the starting lineups and such and frankly it surprises me that USA managed to end up with a draw. Holland had Davids, Ruud, Stam, van der Sar starting (He is their #1 gk right?) with Seedorf and Overmars on the bench. The USA squad looked almost like a second team, Keller started in goal, John O'Brien wasn't on the squad and DeMarcus Beasley didn't start. Armas, Berhalter, Bocanegra, Convey, Gibbs, none of those guys are anything special are they?

Dazz
02-18-2004, 04:40 PM
you lost 1-0 actually :$

Argen Robben scored ten minutes after half time.

Dazz
02-18-2004, 04:42 PM
He is a great player, will be the next big thing. I haven't seen the highlights so I don't know how either team players, but Holland have been rubbish in the last couple of years.

Loose Cannon
02-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Just finished watching a tape of the game. Well it was an alright game, but U.S. played the Dutch the same way they played Germany in the Cup. They played a defensive game with little offensive attack. They picked it up at the end, especially Beasley and Convey. Beasley had a nice touch to Convey, but Convey didn't get a great shot off. Van Nistelrooy had a few chances and I'm suprised we defended him really well. But the Americans shouldn't be dissapointed at all with the loss at all as it was going to be tough to beat the Dutch in Holland.

And BCWWF, Armas is a pretty good player and I think has started a couple of times.

Dazz
02-18-2004, 06:15 PM
As long as you kept Nistelrooy outside the 6 yard box, he is harmless. And unless the rest of the team does all the work for him, and give him the task of tapping it in, he won't score.

BCWWF
02-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I've heard Armas' name a few times, but I never knew how good he was.

A 1-0 loss in Holland isn't a bad thing at all though.

I think USA has to get some defenders to count on. In Japan/Korea we tried to rely on Jeff Agoos, Eddie Pope, David Regis, and maybe Hedjuk played back sometimes too? Agoos and Pope are too old now (theres more I could say about Agoos), and the only time I have ever heard of Regis was France 98 and Japan/Korea 02. We just need to reestablish a group of guys who can play back there consistantly. I'm not sure of any young defenders coming up.

Danny Electric
02-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Boconegra is a good player but that tackle last week on Delaney was a disgrace.

The Mask
02-19-2004, 03:57 AM
He is a great player, will be the next big thing. I haven't seen the highlights so I don't know how either team players, but Holland have been rubbish in the last couple of years.

As soon as he signs for utd and is on the premiership every weekend you'll be saying he's shit :p

Wengerland
02-19-2004, 05:04 AM
I guess it wasn't as bad as what i thought,losing 1-0 away to Holland isn't so bad considering the score against Scotland.I saw a bit of the game as it was on Eurosport and Ireland/Brazil wasn't too good and Wales/Scotland was just one sided.

Anyway of the U.S they looked a solid side,very organised but just lacked a the final ball in the last third.Also you should have Howard in goal rather than Keller as Kasey was in when i was watching.

Dazz
02-19-2004, 03:53 PM
As soon as he signs for utd and is on the premiership every weekend you'll be saying he's shit :p

:nono: I like some of your players, it's only the Neville's, well, in fact your whole defence, and Nistelrooy that I think are overrated, and Roy Keano is a wee bit past it too now.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Was Fredy Adu playing?

He shoulda been......He is gonna single handly make soccer big time in the United States

The Mask
02-19-2004, 04:05 PM
:nono: I like some of your players, it's only the Neville's, well, in fact your whole defence, and Nistelrooy that I think are overrated, and Roy Keano is a wee bit past it too now.

so basically you think we have about 3 players who aren't overrated? :p

Dazz
02-19-2004, 04:12 PM
so basically you think we have about 3 players who aren't overrated? :p

Thats pretty much the jist of it yes.

Giggsy, Scholesy, Nicky, Howardsy (:shifty: ).

I'm still undecided about Forlan and O'Shea. I still think Deigo will be one of the top two scoreres in the next three years, and I don't know if you've realised, but he does work for himself on the park, and he certainly isn't overrated, no one rates him :|.

The Duck
02-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Forlan=wank. I can admit it. His distribution is horrendous and though after a few games in the side he can (in flashes) be half decent, he's simply not good enough to be a top premiership player, let alone a United player.

Keano was immense on Saturday - proof enough the guy still has a few years left in him. Ruud was brilliant as well, and people who watch United on a regular basis will tell you just how much better he has gotten since joining us. His link-up and hold-up play is a lot better now and he really contributes well (and even better now since Saha signed) to our attacking build up AND, more often than not he's in the right place at the right time to score goals - a gift I'd argue not many strikers at the top level in England have (Henry, Shearer and at times Anelka, Owen and Defoe).

Phil Nevile's grown surprisingly well in his midfield role this season. Gary has had his most consistent season in years and is by a stretch the best right back England have. Silvestre has looked incredible (apart from the last 3 weeks) and his partnership with Ferdinand was really going somewhere. O'Shea's been mediocre compared to last season but has undeniable talent and potential.

Just my thoughts. ;)

packt up
02-20-2004, 10:41 AM
I love it when Forlan comes on because WHOEVER he replaces it still makes Man U weaker.

Paranoid Rattlesnake
02-20-2004, 10:44 AM
As long as you kept Nistelrooy outside the 6 yard box, he is harmless. And unless the rest of the team does all the work for him, and give him the task of tapping it in, he won't score.

25+ tap ins already this season