PDA

View Full Version : WWE "Home-Grown" Talent.

Xero
02-08-2007, 01:28 PM
We've all heard that WWE prefers home-grown talents (or very unknowns), but I was wondering if anyone knew who they were? I'm talking wrestlers in the WWE within the past 7 years or so, who started with and has only wrestled in a WWE Developmental Territory/WWE itself?

Besides the Tough Enough contestants (Maven and Nitro are the only two I can think of besides Divas) I really don't know who would fall under this category...

Destor
02-08-2007, 01:32 PM
VERY few. Infact, I'd say less than 10 (that actually had some level of success.)

Just John
02-08-2007, 01:43 PM
People who have joined OVW fresh?

Londoner
02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I wonder if John Cena is one by any chance??

Destor
02-08-2007, 01:55 PM
ONly if you count UWF as a developmental territory, and apparently at one time it was. Despite the fact I can find no documentation of this...

The One
02-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Cena, Orton, Batista, The Rock (technically spent some time in USWA but oh well), Lashley, Kennedy, Boogeyman, Henry, The Hardyz could be considered home grown, MVP, Estrada, Eugene, Spirit Squad, the McAllisters, Cryme Time, Khali, WGTT, Texas Rednecks, Burke, Dupree, Snitsky, and Test....

All could be considered WWE Home Grown Talents.

The One
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Basically a WWE Home Grown talent doesn't mean they spent their entire time with WWE, it means that they never really got over in old ECW, WCW, TNA or any other "threat" to WWE.

Also, while UWF was never OFFICIALLY a WWE territory, it was certainly a breeding ground and a feeder company. In fact I know WWE and UWF had some kind of working agreement, though not to the extent OVW or DSW did...

EDIT: NOT UWF, my mistake. I was thinking of UPW.

The One
02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
UWF never were connected with WWE.

Just John
02-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Cena, Orton, Batista, The Rock (technically spent some time in USWA but oh well), Lashley, Kennedy, Boogeyman, Henry, The Hardyz could be considered home grown, MVP, Estrada, Eugene, Spirit Squad, the McAllisters, Cryme Time, Khali, WGTT, Texas Rednecks, Burke, Dupree, Snitsky, and Test....

All could be considered WWE Home Grown Talents.

What about Masters? I haven't heard of his background at all.....it's almost as if he was picked up from the streets... :shifty:

Destor
02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm talking wrestlers in the WWE within the past 7 years or so, who started with and has only wrestled in a WWE Developmental Territory/WWE itself?

Cena: 1 year in UPW
Orton: 1 year in MMWA-SICW
Batista: About two years in WXW
The Rock: Spent some time in USWA
Lashley: That's one in your favor.
Kennedy: ASCW and TNA
Boogeyman: 2 in your favor, though I did state that you wouldn't find ten that have had some success...
Henry: Three in your favor...but not all that succesfull really... has he ever even held a title?
The Hardyz: Not by Xero's criteria. OMEGA wrestling popped their cerry.
MVP: No. Not even close. CCW, XWA, RoH, and TNA.
Estrada: 4 in your favor.
Eugene: MCW and HWA
Spirit Squad: No. Kenny: Doane began training to become a wrestler at the age of 13 and debuted in 2001 at the age of fifteen. He started his professional wrestling career in the New England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England) area under the name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_name) "Broadway" Kenn Phoenix. He was later trained by legendary professional wrestler and professional wrestling trainer Killer Kowalski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wladek_Kowalski). After being contacted by World Wrestling Entertainment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wrestling_Entertainment) (WWE) he was asked to make appearances for their developmental territory Ohio Valley Wrestling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Valley_Wrestling) (OVW). The rest have all wrestled outside the WWE as well. I'm just not feeling well and wanting to wrap this up.

The majority of the guys list after this point have history outside the WWE as well. And by xEro's definition, that makes them invalid.

Xero
02-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I'm aware of the technical definition, I'm just wondering if anyone started in a WWE-affiliated promotion.

Stickman
02-08-2007, 02:33 PM
hahahaha Mark Henry.

Nugget
02-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Henry: Three in your favor...but not all that succesfull really... has he ever even held a title?.
Just the European title which he didn't even win by storyline, it was 'given' to him by Jeff Jarrett.

Kane Knight
02-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah, there's almost nobody by this definition of homegrown. Not surprising, all things considered.

Blitz
02-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Kennedy and MVP were in TNA?

TerranRich
02-09-2007, 12:35 PM
This definition of homegrown is pretty strict. I consider "homegrown" to mean that they worked elsewhere, but got semi-big in WWE and never left for anyone else once they were popular in WWE. Then again, that would cover about 2/3 of the roster, wouldn't it?

Destor
02-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, there's almost nobody by this definition of homegrown. Not surprising, all things considered.Yeah, you can make numbers say anything you want.

Kane Knight
02-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah. Last week, I was working on a flat tax proposal, and accidentally proved you were gay. The numbers are irrefutable.

The Naitch
02-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Cena is a classic example. UPW is Los Angeles based and I believe he got started when a buddy he worked with convinced him to check it out. Masters comes from the same cloth as well

I heard that they're trying to make UPW the 3rd WWE feeder-fed after DSW and OVW

The Naitch
02-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Miz also started in UPW. I'm pretty sure Heidenreich did too.

BigDaddyCool
02-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I know neither of them are with WWE or can come back, but what about Angle and Lesner?

Flair Wooo
02-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Lesner would kncok you all the fuck out at the same motherfucking time

Kane Knight
02-17-2007, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see him try.

Seriously, that would be fucking impressive.

Mr. Nerfect
03-06-2007, 03:47 AM
I'm pretty sure I heard about Kurt Angle wrestling on the independant scene for a while. Brock Lesnar is a maybe. I get the feeling Shelton Benjamin might be, too.