PDA

View Full Version : Could a New vc Old feud work in today's WWE?

Maluco
02-19-2007, 03:04 PM
I know it has been done with Millionaire's Club/New Breed before in a crumbling WCW, but what about now in WWE?

The reason for me thinking that it could is the lack of new stars the WWE is producing, this sort of idea would get more breakthrough stars in big matches, and make them look like equals to more established figures. Another reason is that it has already started in ECW and this could get ECW a bit more spotlight as the starting base of the companies main feud.

Yet another plus is the starting point that Mania gives us. Having Undertaker beat Batista followed by Micheals being aided in beating Cena (needs to be kept strong to lead the new batch). You could even have Stone Cold appearing and being a talker for the older wrestlers, as it has already been said he will be present in some form to promote his film.

Ready made feuds like Carlito and Flair already feed into this, and with Undertaker's lightened scheduale and Micheals looking for a break, a good long feud like this, to result in a new breed victory at Survivor Series maybe or two new sucessors (say Kennedy and Edge) taking the belts at Mania. Hopefully a feud like this could usher in a few new stars to take on some of the load of the company.

To start, all we would need was the controversial wins at Mania, and Micheals, Undertaker, Austin, Flair on Raw the next night to explain (ie, they are not on our level, don't have respect, have not earned anything etc...)

I KNOW its a rehash, and I know that people like Taker might not job too often, but for every Austin we have a Flair and every Taker we have a Foley, who will do their best to have people loking like gold, and even with the rest, all it takes is the one job at the right time. I for one would be really inetrested if it played out right (am also aware of the WWE's incompetence), but we are being optimistic here...

Any thoughts? Entertaining? Obviously too idealistic, but not worth trying? Boring old rehash? Give your thoughts...

Indifferent Clox
02-19-2007, 03:07 PM
I like the idea to an extent.

Who would you have in each stable?

TerranRich
02-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Oh, and it's "vs." not "vc"

Kane Knight
02-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Considering how poorly it's doing in WWECW...

Maluco
02-19-2007, 03:29 PM
It would be a company wide feud, could constantly have different people involved. Would love to get Foley and Austin involved, Foley could really put over someone like Kennedy, and Austin could get people tuned in to see the new stars. Just an idea obviously and people could be interchangeable.

After Mania it makes sense to have Austin, Flair, Foley, Micheals and Undertaker on one side (could easily make Booker, Benoit, Finley etc... on Smackdown and the group we have now on ECW.

On opposing side, basically, anyone you want to get the rub from the feud. Edge, Kennedy, guys from Spirit Squad, Cena, Lashley etc.. depending on their brand.

Obviosuly this would allow for more flexibility amonst the brands and a great selection of matches and reasons for starting feuds (the old vs new grudges)

Will ignore the post about the "vc", smallest typo pointed out, but nothing to say about the thread, have already stated that I am not speaking English at the minute (out of country), so give me a bit of a break, yeah?

Maluco
02-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Considering how poorly it's doing in WWECW...

yeah, I know that does not bode well, but when you think about some of the performers involved, how many viewers Sci-Fi actually gets and the squash booking, you can see why.

The hope would be that WWE would use this for the purpose of making new stars and not burying either side. What would your opinion be on stables?

Indifferent Clox
02-19-2007, 03:48 PM
But would one side be face and the other heel? if that's the case then hell no.

But if you can somehow make unholy alliances that'd be cool.

Stickman
02-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Considering how much it sucked in WCW I dont' want them to try.

M-A-G
02-19-2007, 04:04 PM
The concept itself is fine. It's a matter of convincing the old guys to do their part to get the young guys over and we just know how much they're willing to do that don't we?

Pardeep 619
02-19-2007, 04:17 PM
As long as it is booked right then an angle like this could be good. If it were to happen then ideally it should be between Summerslam and Survivor Series, where an elimination tag team match would settle the rivalry.

Maluco
02-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Considering how much it sucked in WCW I dont' want them to try.

Know that, and did mention it in the post, but we all know how WCW was.

My thinking was because WWE realy has very little middle ground, they have whats left of their established stars and then they have a whole New Breed, it almost makes sense at this point, keeping in mind the Mania ME's, to have an angle like this.

Stickman
02-19-2007, 04:26 PM
It'd be like Austin and the Alliance.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I was thinking this a week or so ago. I'd love to see Flair cut another promo on Carlito, ripping into him, and then going into how he was in Evolution (flair) and Evolution was what is good about the future of wrestling. Evolution was a group who held what wrestling should be high and is the future, and that people like Carlito are the opposite, and destroying wrestling.

Then I'd have maybe Carlito, Haas, Benjamin, Masters, Nitro and Kenny beat the shit out of Flair, and maybe a few others, and name themselves "De-evolution" or something Their purpose would be to sidetrack "the future" of wrestling/ change the face of wrestling and make the future their own.

The feud could be drawn out... Have Orton and Batista refuse to help their mentors, and although they aren't teaming with them, are morally behind De-evolution. Have a blow off match at the Survivor Series and do Nitro, Haas, Benjamin, Masters and Kenny Vs Flair, The Undertaker, HBK/HHH, and 2 other guys.... I'd also have the main event be Carlito Vs either HBK/HHH (I'd want one of them to be champ for this, and whoever is the champ wouldn't be in the SS match.)

NeanderCarl
02-19-2007, 06:33 PM
For it to work, firstly I think the old crew should be the heels (which was the first mistake WCW made. How can a group called "The Millionairres Club" be faces, for fuck's sake?)

Secondly, the younger crew should be made to look, for the most part, superior... superior athleticism, superior ability, more wins than losses etc.

Thirdly, ultimately the "next generation" group should eventually win the feud.

And those three reasons are why it will never happen or never work.

...Unless, of course, Triple H were to decide that DX are still super-cool, young rebels and join the YOUNGER stable (which would make no sense, but is quite feasible that he would think like that) in which case they might stand a chance of winning, but lose all credibility.

NeanderCarl
02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
A 'Young vs Old' feud will just never catch on in the wrestling business because, as intriguing as it would be for many fans, most of the wrestlers you would put into the "Old" category are less than willing to admit that they are past their prime/best days are behind them/aren't as young as they once were.

Even if they agreed to that aspect, the old guard are usually less than generous in putting over the younger stars or praising them behind the scenes. All we'd hear are the old fellas moaning about how so-and-so "can't work", so-and-so "has a bad attitude", so-and-so "is only over because he has nice hair" etc etc etc

Trust me, the best way to bury the up-and-coming stars of tomorrow would be to put them in an 'Old Vs New' feud. You'd never hear from them again (much like the majority of The Alliance. How many of those guys were still stars/employed, by the time Undertaker and his cronies had finished with them?)

Kane Knight
02-19-2007, 06:50 PM
yeah, I know that does not bode well, but when you think about some of the performers involved, how many viewers Sci-Fi actually gets and the squash booking, you can see why.

The hope would be that WWE would use this for the purpose of making new stars and not burying either side. What would your opinion be on stables?

So I'm confused. Are we talking about in reality, where we can actually see what's up, or in some fantasy world where WWE will magically book different?

Maluco
02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
lol, reality, where, yeah, I would hope that the WWE, seeing the fix they were in, would book differently and see it as a way to build.

I know the drawbacks, and the unnecessary HBK and Undertaker wins that would result from the feud, but we have Flair, Foley, Kane, Booker, who will all do jobs at the right time and make others look good.

Kane Knight
02-19-2007, 10:51 PM
The drawbacks including management who doesn't have any faith in most of the new, the old, who won't want to lay down for the new, and booking that plays to a disinterest in establishing new talent.

Mr. Nerfect
02-20-2007, 02:42 AM
I think there are ways to put over new talent very similar to this, but I'm not sure if going to the lengths you have suggested would work, if just for the fact the WWE would screw it up.

I think there could be some young vs. old stories for the WWE to use, though. If everything goes according to plan at WrestleMania, I'd hope John Cena and Edge will walk out of WrestleMania WWE and World Heavyweight Champions, both heels, and both pissing off The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels, respectively. The main event for Backlash will likely be John Cena and Edge vs. Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker, because we all know how big those tag team matches are, aye Vince? :roll:

I think John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels and Edge vs. The Undertaker and programs with potential, though. Cena as the young Corporate Champ Vince is trying to protect, and Shawn Michaels the veteran who doesn't believe his time is in the sun is over. If I were booking, Shawn Michaels would NEVER win the WWE Championship. He just wouldn't get there. Cena would be booked as too young, and quite frankly, too good for the aging Michaels.

On SmackDown!, we'd get videos reminding us of how Edge used to serve under The Undertaker as a member of the Ministry of Darkness, and Edge claims he's grown leaps and bounds as a competitor. He manages to defeat The Undertaker to prove his worth as World Heavyweight Champion.

I hope Mick Foley defeats Umaga for the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania. Umaga can then chase Foley, trying to prove he can best the Hardcore Legend. Foley challenges Umaga to some kind of "Death Match", just to make it sound more lethal than a "Street Fight", and at Backlash, Umaga proves his worth and bests the Intercontinental Champion and wins back his Title.

I'm trying to think of an old tag team the WWE has, but they don't really have any. Paul London & Brian Kendrick are two guys who need establishment, and badly. A program with Regal & Finlay was something I was at one stage looking forward to. I guess they can split it up into programs with Regal & Taylor (which they have already done) and Finlay & Booker. I think the later has potential to be a really interesting feud.

I don't think the money is in a big old vs. young feud, but I think separate programs where that seems to be the theme could work really well.

Mr. Nerfect
02-20-2007, 02:44 AM
Chris Benoit vs. Paul Burchill for the US Title is a feud I really want to see, too. I doubt the WWE will go that route, though, as Burchill seems to be heading to the RAW brand. Benoit working with younger and less established guys is something I really want to see. Can you imagine random matches on SmackDown! with Paul London and Brian Kendrick over the US Title? You don't even need to put the young guys over, just have them look like they're in Benoit's league.

Kane Knight
02-20-2007, 10:15 AM
I think there are ways to put over new talent very similar to this, but I'm not sure if going to the lengths you have suggested would work, if just for the fact the WWE would screw it up.

I think there could be some young vs. old stories for the WWE to use, though. If everything goes according to plan at WrestleMania, I'd hope John Cena and Edge will walk out of WrestleMania WWE and World Heavyweight Champions, both heels, and both pissing off The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels, respectively. The main event for Backlash will likely be John Cena and Edge vs. Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker, because we all know how big those tag team matches are, aye Vince? :roll:

I think John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels and Edge vs. The Undertaker and programs with potential, though. Cena as the young Corporate Champ Vince is trying to protect, and Shawn Michaels the veteran who doesn't believe his time is in the sun is over. If I were booking, Shawn Michaels would NEVER win the WWE Championship. He just wouldn't get there. Cena would be booked as too young, and quite frankly, too good for the aging Michaels.

On SmackDown!, we'd get videos reminding us of how Edge used to serve under The Undertaker as a member of the Ministry of Darkness, and Edge claims he's grown leaps and bounds as a competitor. He manages to defeat The Undertaker to prove his worth as World Heavyweight Champion.

I hope Mick Foley defeats Umaga for the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania. Umaga can then chase Foley, trying to prove he can best the Hardcore Legend. Foley challenges Umaga to some kind of "Death Match", just to make it sound more lethal than a "Street Fight", and at Backlash, Umaga proves his worth and bests the Intercontinental Champion and wins back his Title.

I'm trying to think of an old tag team the WWE has, but they don't really have any. Paul London & Brian Kendrick are two guys who need establishment, and badly. A program with Regal & Finlay was something I was at one stage looking forward to. I guess they can split it up into programs with Regal & Taylor (which they have already done) and Finlay & Booker. I think the later has potential to be a really interesting feud.

I don't think the money is in a big old vs. young feud, but I think separate programs where that seems to be the theme could work really well.

Yick.

By the way, I know everyone wants Edge pushed to the moon, but does Edge really qualify as "new blood," when he's been around roughly as long as the "Legendary" hardy boiz?

Mr. Nerfect
02-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Yick.

By the way, I know everyone wants Edge pushed to the moon, but does Edge really qualify as "new blood," when he's been around roughly as long as the "Legendary" hardy boiz?

As a singles competitor? Sure.

Kane Knight
02-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Well, I suppose if you're booking to WWE's logic that we're all retarded....

The Optimist
02-20-2007, 10:20 PM
For it to work, firstly I think the old crew should be the heels (which was the first mistake WCW made. How can a group called "The Millionairres Club" be faces, for fuck's sake?)

Secondly, the younger crew should be made to look, for the most part, superior... superior athleticism, superior ability, more wins than losses etc.

Thirdly, ultimately the "next generation" group should eventually win the feud.

And those three reasons are why it will never happen or never work.

...Unless, of course, Triple H were to decide that DX are still super-cool, young rebels and join the YOUNGER stable (which would make no sense, but is quite feasible that he would think like that) in which case they might stand a chance of winning, but lose all credibility.LOL Those are all the basic points of fueding Olds vs. News.

But, yeah. I would really love this whole idea. Immediately I could see Face Edge(maybe even Shelton) and Kennedy beating Heel HHH and Undertaker at next year's Mania. This is basically EXACTLY what wrestling needs in my opinion since there are at least a half a dozen "New Bloods" that should be over by now that aren't.

Edit that fact. I see this whole thing, in this situation at least, especially with Edge and a few others as much more of a "Radicalz" situation rather than a "New Blood" situation. At least in the fact that with alot of these people a push is FAR overdue.