PDA

View Full Version : WHO HAS THE TOTAL PACKAGE?

FBI mark
02-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Of course I am not talking about Lex Luger.I am talking about the three attributes in which few wrestlers possess as a whole.These attributes are the look,the talk,and the walk.There are many wrestlers that possess one or two of these skill-sets,though to actually possess them all is a truly rare thing.I bring this point up because it has hounded me for some time.Honestly,it is really hard for me to pick a wrestler that has all of these attributes.Before anybody starts throwing names out there,lets examine each aspect from the total package.First we have the look in which a wrestler is either born with or modifies through training.However,I have a hard time defining what the "look" looks like.If you were a fan of the 80's the "look" could be that of either Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair.The 90's 'look" could be that of Steve Austin,HBK,Triple H,Bret Hart,or the Rock.I just cannot pigeonhole just what the "look" entails.

I have a similiar problem with the "talk" skill.There are and were some great talkers in the industry.Wrestlers like Roddy Piper,Jake Roberts,and Chris Jericho were great talkers,but they had different ways and styles of talking as do many others.How can one truly say who talks the best when their are so many ways to gaige a way someone talks.I will use the wrestlers I previosely listed to illistrate my point.In terms of mic skills Roddy Piper could garner heat like few others,he talked trash,and really was an originater,often pushing the envelope politically speaking.On the other hand Jake Roberts was dead pan serious and he talked dramatically and used metaphor to convey his message.Chris Jericho used humor and wit to ridicule opponents,his performance was more like a satyre.I think judging this skill is very subjective and relies on ones taste rather than a universal litmus test.

As for the term "walk" I have an easier time picking this one but a harder time in determining just who could have an overall better moveset then someone of equal or near equal strength.Also,what defines the 'walk',is it pure technical ability,pure amature skill,and what about a blend of many different styles.In essence,what is the 'walk' and who's got it,at least enough to be a contender for the 'total package'.

Picking a wrestler with the best total package could tell us who is the greatest wrestler of all time(GOAT)!

/CENTER]

SammyG
02-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Khali

addy2hotty
02-21-2007, 09:40 PM
I hear Lance Storm had quite the package.

Kane Knight
02-21-2007, 09:43 PM
I hear Lance Storm had quite the package.

Beat me to it.

Kane Knight
02-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Of course I am not talking about Lex Luger.I am talking about the three attributes in which few wrestlers possess as a whole.These attributes are the look,the talk,and the walk.There are many wrestlers that possess one or two of these skill-sets,though to actually possess them all is a truly rare thing.I bring this point up because it has hounded me for some time.Honestly,it is really hard for me to pick a wrestler that has all of these attributes.Before anybody starts throwing names out there,lets exaALLEYAALEYAAALLEYAAALEYAA

Ninti the Mad
02-21-2007, 09:46 PM
If given a chance, I am confident Nitro could fit all three.

They need to let him talk more and get comfortable out on the mic.

Dorkchop
02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Duh, Lex Luger.

Right now, I'd say HHH.

Kane Knight
02-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Cena seriously has all those elements.

ChiefStubbs
02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
EDIT: Nah, nevermind, I'm probably not good enough to say that.

thedamndest
02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
My parents have a Total Gym. It came in a package.

FBI mark
02-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Cena seriously has all those elements.

If your talking packages Cena's famous catchphrase pretty much sums it up,and I quote "deez nuts"!

jindrak
02-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Orton

blake639raw
02-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Alex Shelley I believe has the total package, but he's not allowed to do much in TNA. He's also young too, which is a huge plus. It seems like he hasn't wrestled in ages though in TNA.

Whenever they get 2 hours, they need to add an Alex Shelley interview segment, ala the Highlight Reel or something. He's one of the strongest mic workers they have.

Skippord
02-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Alex Shelley I believe has the total package, but he's not allowed to do much in TNA. He's also young too, which is a huge plus. It seems like he hasn't wrestled in ages though in TNA.

Whenever they get 2 hours, they need to add an Alex Shelley interview segment, ala the Highlight Reel or something. He's one of the strongest mic workers they have.
:y:

Avenger
02-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Shelley = Jericho

he's that good

FBI mark
02-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Orton

Yeah,Orton is solid in most areas,I think his greatest skills from strongest to weakest are 'walk','look',and 'talk'.However,Orton has alot of potential to improve both his mic skills and in-ring ability.

FBI mark
02-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Duh, Lex Luger.

Right now, I'd say HHH.

Triple H is very close to being the total package in terms of the 'look',his technical ability is also great,his only drawback to (IMO)me is his mic work.Trips is either very boring as a face or very obnoxious as face/tweener in DX.However,Triple H speaks well as a bad guy.

FBI mark
02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
I am going to throw a name out there that is relatively unknown.The wrestlers name is Wavell Starr,whom I believe has the best 'total package' in wrestling today.Why the WWE has not picked him up is criminal!

Shadow
02-21-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm gonna go with TPWW standby, Chris Jericho.

Heel or face, he owned that crowd. Every match he put on never sunk past 3 star and he was definitly a team player. If I had to pick anyone who had the total package, it'd be Jericho

FBI mark
02-21-2007, 11:40 PM
I can't argue your points about mic work,and technical ability,although his wrestling 'look' was maybe not ideal.I think his 'look' maybe lacking because he was a cruiser weight and didn't have enough definition.I am not saying he sucks in terms of his build,just that it might be his weakest area overall.

Skippord
02-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah,Orton is solid in most areas,I think his greatest skills from strongest to weakest are 'walk','look',and 'talk'.However,Orton has alot of potential to improve both his mic skills and in-ring ability.
The fuck? Orton sucks at wrestling

James Steele
02-22-2007, 12:27 AM
The only things Orton have going for him are: his smirk, and his "3rd Generation" thing.

El Fangel
02-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Benoit, Rock, Austin IMO.

hitman23
02-22-2007, 01:01 AM
Edge

Jura
02-22-2007, 01:06 AM
I think a lot of wrestlers have it. To be considered a truly good wrestler I think he should have the total package. To be considered a great wrestler he has to have the total package and more.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wR-ABNROVtk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wR-ABNROVtk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

El Fangel
02-22-2007, 01:15 AM
You just made me a Shelley mark!

Mr. Nerfect
02-22-2007, 01:52 AM
I think a lot of wrestlers have it. To be considered a truly good wrestler I think he should have the total package. To be considered a great wrestler he has to have the total package and more.

I think that's hitting the nail on the head. There has to some other factor in there somewhere, whether it is political backing, being in the right place at the right time, or just a shit load of talent.

John Cena can work in the ring. Back in his OVW days and early WWE days, he used to actually wrestle. I remember the days when people used to say "he's a good wrestler, but he's too bland to get anywhere". Now the pendulum has swung, but if he was allowed to work again, I can see him being a main event player worthy of Triple H (I see him being the next top heel).

Edge is a tricky subject with me. I have no doubt Edge can talk fantastically when he wants to (just see his E&C days), but right now, I think he's kind of a B+ talker. When Eric Bischoff came back as General Manager for that one night, he blew Edge and Orton away on the stick.

Johnny Nitro and Kenny Dykstra have the look and the wrestling skills, they just need to work on talking a bit better. Val Venis has all three, but yeah, the WWE doesn't use him, so he's out.

There are a bunch of undercard guys who have got all three, but the WWE doesn't give them a chance to shine. Hell, the industry doesn't give them a chance to shine. Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Alex Shelley, CM Punk and Colt Cabana are all amazing.

A random name I'd like to throw out there is Joey Mercury. The guy has got all three. He's not a hoss, but he's not exactly tiny, either. He can work with the best of them, and he's got more personality than Johnny Nitro (that's nothing against Nitro, merely pro-Mercury). That the WWE was apparently going to release him is criminal, in my opinion. With a consistent push, I can see him being a very similar mid-card worker to Chris Jericho.

Mr. Kennedy also has all the tools. Just looking at him he reminds me of the Attitude era greats rolled into one. Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Shane Douglas and you can even trace some Ric Flair in there. If the WWE were smart, pushing Mr. Kennedy would be a priority in 2007.

FBI mark
02-22-2007, 03:33 PM
The fuck? Orton sucks at wrestling

Can you please be more specific?

Xero
02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Didn't read the thread, but Angle.

FBI mark
02-22-2007, 03:50 PM
So far I have heard some serious thoughts on this subject and alot of names thrown out there.This is a list of all the names mentioned as to having the total package.

Johnny Nitro,Triple H,Randy Orton,Alex Shelley(suprised me),Chris Jericho,Chris Benoit,The Rock,Steve Austin,Edge,and Kurt Angle.

This is not a poll,I just thought it would be interesting to list all these guys.Also no names have been repeated.

I want to add some further thoughts to this subject in awhile.

St. Jimmy
02-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Masters, OBVVVVV.

FBI mark
02-22-2007, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=Alienoid06]I think that's hitting the nail on the head. There has to some other factor in there somewhere, whether it is political backing, being in the right place at the right time, or just a shit load of talent.

Agreed, having the total package is not enough there are definitely alot of other variables to take into consideration.For instance I look at booking as a huge factor in promoting someone with the total package.For instance the Crusher was a huge draw in the North East, and especially the Minnisota/Wisconsin area.

I guess a wrestler who has the total package has the building blocks for great potential.That potential is increased or decreased depending on things like booking, politics, luck,etc.

The one variable that was brought up was having that 'it' factor, which probably the end all be all in saying who is great. However I believe having the total package, or at least few aspects of the true package really are important in creating a great wrestler.

The One
02-22-2007, 05:43 PM
THE GREATEST WRESTLER EVER...DESTOR!!!

FBI mark
02-22-2007, 05:48 PM
THE GREATEST WRESTLER EVER...DESTOR!!!

Doesn't he have some kind of move named after him?

The One
02-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Destor is the Bestor! Every move should be named after him. A DestorBomb, a DestorNeck Breaker, a Destor Stunner, a Destor Bottom, a Destor KO, a Destor Cutter, I'm telling you, the entire industry should just be known as Proessional Destoring.

FBI mark
02-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Destor is the Bestor! Every move should be named after him. A DestorBomb, a DestorNeck Breaker, a Destor Stunner, a Destor Bottom, a Destor KO, a Destor Cutter, I'm telling you, the entire industry should just be known as Proessional Destoring.

Looking at your sig of a baby smoking a cigarette plus your quote makes me LOL :lol:

Arnold HamNegger
02-22-2007, 07:35 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wR-ABNROVtk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wR-ABNROVtk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Well, I think this has shown an obvious way to make TNA tolerable. Fire West and Tenay on commentary and hire Godsmack.

Skippord
02-22-2007, 07:37 PM
CHRIS FUCKING SABIN

Arnold HamNegger
02-22-2007, 07:51 PM
ROB :y: VAN :y: DAM :y:

He's got the "look." I know his mic work gets ripped alot, but back in the days when he was with Fonzie and Sabu, RVD cut some great fucking promo's just being an arrogant prick...he's got the "talk."

And as far as the "walk"....his old ECW intro music speaks for itself.

Inadequacy
02-22-2007, 07:52 PM
HAIL SABIN!

But yeah, Alex Shelley is awesome. But he hasn't done the skull-fucker in a long time.

Destor
02-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Ain't I great?

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/j/jeffjarrett/45.jpg

Johnny Vegas
02-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Dude, seriously i thought you were gay when i saw the title, sorry. lol

Shaner
03-01-2007, 09:43 AM

The Canadian Destorer

Xero
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Ain't I great?

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/j/jeffjarrett/45.jpg
No.

Destor
03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Yes I am. Don't you dare say otherwise.

Destor
03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I can make you head explode. Dont tempt me.