PDA

View Full Version : Old School Stalling

FBI mark
02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Should old school stalling be brought back? Is it even possible to have someone stall for 2.5 minutes in todays fast paced wrestling world?

This is a topic that is part of a whole plethora of ideas that I have concerning the lost art of in ring psychology.

Xero
02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Randy Orton AKA "Mr. Resthold".

Ninti the Mad
02-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Yeah... do you mean moves that take time or stuff like the bad guy getting out of the ring and throwing a fit before trying to get back in the ring type stuff?

Xero
02-22-2007, 07:12 PM
When I read the thread title I thought of stalling suplexes and whatnot...

FBI mark
02-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Randy Orton AKA "Mr. Resthold".

That is not exactly what I meant but the concept is the same. Though what do you think of the stall when a wrestler goes outside the ring? The concept was that the heel would go outside the ring in order to frustrate the face.
I actually like rest holds as well as stalling outside the ring and think they are very useful in telling a story inside the squared circle.

Alot of people gripe about Rany Orton's use of rest holds but I find it somewhat refreshing in present day wrestling.

addy2hotty
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I thought when the heel hugged his manager/tag team partner after a being beaten out by the face was always funny.

FBI mark
02-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I thought when the heel hugged his manager/tag team partner after a being beaten out by the face was always funny.

Definitely a good stalling manuever, would be very useful in tag team wrestling right now.

I also liked when singles wrestlers would run outside for a hug from a manager, ala Bobby the Brain Heenan and Ric Rude.

Wrestlers hiding behind women are also good ones, like Randy Savage and Mrs. Elizabeth.

Jura
02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
lol I thought this was about the bathroom stalls in high school or something.

I think if he's a good heel then going outside or whatever is cool. Like the last time Rock faced Austin at WM he went out, took a drink, splashed the crowd with water and put on Austin's vest. If it's something like what Test or Kennedy has done, walking up the ramp as if they were quitting the match, then no.

thedamndest
02-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Shawn Michaels stalling to check himself out in the mirror was cool.

There's also the going outside, waiting until 9, rolling back in, etc, until the face chases you around the ring. Then you slide in first and when the face slides in you stomp on him.

The One
02-22-2007, 11:21 PM
I think they need to have more of it. It's a wonderful way to build up tension very quickly...

Jeritron
02-22-2007, 11:23 PM
commercial breaks

NeanderCarl
02-23-2007, 12:41 AM
While we're in the business of backwards progression, WWE should hire Larry Zbyszko to train everyone down in OVW how to have a 20 minute match without ever even touching your opponent.

I think Raw is about to get gripping!

Or not, as the case may be...

Xero
02-23-2007, 07:32 AM
They should hire Tony Schiavone to make EVERY night the "Greatest night in the history of our sport!"...

Loose Cannon
02-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Watch Wrestlemania 7, Savage/Warrior and you'll see an excellent display of that by Savage. That guy knew how to work Warrior.

Dave Youell
02-23-2007, 09:51 AM
On TV no, on PPV yes.

See Rock/Hogan Mania 18

Mercury Bullet
02-23-2007, 10:04 AM
The Sting/Jarrett match a little while back where Sting won the NWA Title showed some of this. Jarrett slapped Sting around a little early and Sting had to keep "regrouping" (i suppose) outside the ring, and vice versa later on. And I thought the match was about as good as those two could put out considering they are long past their primes.

Mercury Bullet
02-23-2007, 10:05 AM
On TV no, on PPV yes.

Yeh, I agree with this. I dont want BS matches on Raw dragged out longer than they need to be. PPV's never last long enough anyway and this might actually add a few worthwhile minutes of tension building.

Stickman
02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Did the Rock used to beat some guy down, go outside, grab a mic, start trash talking, then beat down some more?

NeanderCarl
02-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Uh. Yes.

McLegend
02-23-2007, 04:22 PM
I would when Bret Hart would just leave the ring and go out to regroup when things weren't going his way.

So yes I am all for stalling.