PDA

View Full Version : The Console War

PapaGeorgio
02-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Xbox360 vs. Wii vs. PS3

Each system has had at least a few months to get thing settled. So how do you think they are holding up? Who do you think is on top right now? Pros-Cons of systems you own or have played enough to be able to discuss it.

Personally, I think the Wii has gotten the general interest of the public. It is still hard to find a Wii. In early January I purchased another Wii for my brother. I went on ebay to check out the prices they were selling at and saw I could make a few bucks. So I went back to the store 20 minutes later and the 6 systems they had left were all bought up. None of the 3 PS3 systems there moved from time I got the Wii and got back.

On that note, the Wii has disappointed in some ways to. Largely dealing with online. They do have some neat features, but nothing truly great. Chances are if you have your Wii connected to online, you also have a computer where you can browse the internet much easier. It is cool hearing how the Weather Channel effects the weather in Madden games though, but once again there are often easier ways to get the weather and news for that matter then using the Wii. The Everybody Votes Channel is the most pointless channel out there, but they did manage to make it somewhat fun with the predictions. Plus if many people are on the Wii and voting, it can be a little competition of some sorts, being able to brag about predicting right I suppose.
Then there is the Virtual Console, which as a whole I find very entertaining. Many argue that the games are overpriced, or that there is no need for Ocarina of Time to get released again for the fifth time or whatever it's up to now. The fact is, some people might not have owned an NES, SNES, Turbo or any other system for whatever reason. Maybe they just missed the SNES, so this is a good way to bring Super Mario World to them. As for pricing, that could be argued all day about what is fair. Personally I don't think they are all that bad. I suppose they could be a tad bit lower, but people saying an NES game should be $1.00 are idiotic. If anything I'd lower the prices by $2.00. Nintendo can make a good buck off of this and people are willing to pay their prices for the games. As for the games being released, I find it's a good mix all around and look forward to seeing what it can do in the future.
And the biggest flaw for the online, is lack of online gaming. With only limited features like sharing maps in Elebits(think that's the game), online has obviously been a disappointment. They plan to have online games within the year, starting with a Pokemon game. Sadly it seems they will be resorting to how Nintendo DS online works, where each game/console gets their own friend code to be shared. While it is understandable they want to protect the kids, they are fucking the gamers on that one making it far to annoying. They really should have launched with online gaming, and implemented it with Wii Sports to show people how great it can be. Wii Sports is a game that really deserves to be online. And one can only hope that Mario Party 8 is online (Nothing has been announced for that yet) as the game has been perfect for online gaming since its first version.
As for games on the Wii, I really haven't seen anything that great besides Zelda. Wii Sports is a lot of fun though. To me it almost seems Wii is more of a party system then anything else. Not to say that it is a bad thing, but most of their games seem to be revolving around a bunch of mini-games put together somehow. And I can personally say I have had a lot of fun play Wii Sports or Wario Warez, especially when people who never played video games get interested and join in.

As for the other systems, I honestly don't know a great deal about them. I can look at sales numbers and see that the Wii is beating out the PS3, and that XBox 360 is beating out both but they did have a year head start. Seems like the PS3 has been getting a lot of bad press lately, do you guys think that is really deserved, especially those who own it? Xbox 360 is looking well rounded personally. I know it had some bad press early on with defective systems but I haven't heard much about that lately so I assume it really isn't a problem much anymore. I'm also jealous of what I hear about their online system they have set up. Personally I can see myself getting an Xbox 360 perhaps in a year or two as it is looking pretty solid right now.

In conclusion, with limited experience with other systems I can't make the best call on this. But I must say I have been happy with my Wii, I did get a defective system after waiting in line for it on launch. But I was more than pleased with how nintendo took care of me and I'm understanding that shit like that happens. I have seen family members play the Wii who never play videogames, and some of them even went on to purchase a Wii they had so much fun with it. Xbox 360 has the current lead in terms of sales, but I'm interested to see where everyone will be at in a years time seeing as they had the heads start.

So again, what are your thoughts on everything etc etc?

Fignuts
02-26-2007, 08:15 PM
360. Easily. More exclusives, more quality games, and without a shadow of a doubt, the best online features.

McDoogle
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Im just not that impressed with the Wii. I played it and well it's innovative and different for me personally it just doesn't have that much appeal. 360 for me is the system for all the reasons Fignuts just mentioned.

Fignuts
02-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I think the PS3 will come into its own soon enough, but its going to need more third party exclusives to match Xbox. Smackdown is now for xbox, as is virtua fighter. There is even a VERY good possibility that MGS4 is going to show up on 360.

Dorkchop
02-26-2007, 08:33 PM
I want a 360, but am going to wait maybe another year or two. I probably won't be able to afford one by the time I really want one.

I'd say 360 is the best console right now, and the PS3 is the worst. For some reason Sony is fuckign up royally on this console. There's still hope, but right now it's not looking too likely.

The Wii is fun. I wish there were better games for it right now, but whatever. It's all kinds of fun.

Fignuts
02-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Sony still made huge numbers on the launch of the PS3, so its not like it was a bust or anything.

Silent
02-26-2007, 08:41 PM
The 360 is the best system out right now, it's got an amazing library already and there are tons of good games coming out this year.

I own a PS3 and a 360, you can see most of my thoughts in the "European PS3" topic and I don't really feel like re-typing all that, but I will just say that PS3 needs to get it's act together, and yes, it deserves all the bad press it's gotten so far.

Sony needs to get off of their throne and start listening to their audience, and stop saying "Our PS2 is so good that everyone is going to buy the PS3 just because it says Playstation on it." Every interview with them they can't shut up about how good the PS2 is still doing. Well, that's great, but what are you going to do with the PS3 which nobody is buying anymore?

I just picked up Virtua Fighter 5 last night for the PS3, and while it's a fun game, it's not going to save the system by any means, they need to get some top notch games confirmed ASAP. Like I mentioned in the other topic, I am excited for Lair and other games late this year, but the 360 has a lot more to offer right now. I just preordered Bioshock this morning when I picked up Crackdown...

My dad, someone who plays the PS2 about once a month, is actually more interested in getting a Wii then I am. I think Nintendo is doing exactly what they wanted; appealing to a wider audience, because I never thought my dad would want a game console for himself. My grandparents even played with the Wii at my cousin's house at Christmas, and they had a blast.

Edit: Fixed a couple grammar,spelling mistakes.

Dorkchop
02-26-2007, 08:47 PM
I find the Wii, right now, to be more of a party machine. Everyone hears you have a Wii and wants to play it.

I love my Wii, but also like regular console games so I've gotten back into playing my PS2 regularly now. Once I get bored of that, I'll move on to the 360 probably.

DS
02-26-2007, 08:49 PM
I like my Wii, I like playing the 360, and I like the PS3. The winner is clearly me as a consumer.

Funky Fly
02-27-2007, 03:46 AM
Right now, there's nothing really there for me on the new consoles. I mean, there's a little bit that I like from each system, but nothing that says "buy me" just yet.

The way things stand right now, I'd say in 2 - 3 years down the line when Sony gets its head out of its ass, it'll be the number one system (they'll probably have the biggest and/or best library, and the eventual price drop will make it more attractive), with Wii and 360 fighting for a close second. This time around, I'll definitely have all three systems since I'll finally be done with school.

Russenmafia
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
I get my bonus in work and will defo be going for a 360. Mostly cause the PS3 is overpriced here in the UK at £425 (roughly between $800 - $900) and not a lot of games at launch. The 360 has got the one game I have been choking to play...

Gears of War....

Kane Knight
02-27-2007, 06:19 PM
360 is dominant right now: It's got the support, it's got the graphics for Graphics whores, it's got the overall "it" factor.

Not to knock the Wii, but it's got little support (Yeah yeah, I know ALL THE COMPANIES ARE SIGNING ON WHATEVER...We haven't really seen any of that), few games (One of the most notable is a GCN port), etc.

Ps3? I'll knock it. It'llprobably sell well. I doubt it'll dominate. Sony's created something expensive and expected us to buy it, ignoring the fact that the electronics market is down. They're using it to try and push what is likely a losing format. They're pushing a system that's a bitch to program for. They're going everything wrong, but they'll still get good numbers. Unfortunately for the consumer, the real usefulness and power of the PS3 will not likely be harnessed until the PS4 is ready.

PapaGeorgio
02-27-2007, 10:18 PM
It seems like everyone is in agreement for the most part. With 360 being best overall, Wii showing potential but really just being a party game system so far, and PS3 being just bad.

But that raises the question, what is good about the PS3 that they are getting the sales? Some see it as an investment, others may just be PS fanyboys but really when you look at things 360 has similar games/graphics like the PS3 give or take a few things. That is where I think nintendo went right, going a different route from other systems. Cause they couldn't really make another Gamecube. They could probably come close to the graphics, get more of the same games, try to get online system up like others but overall all the three would be to much like. Nintendo creating essentially their own market was fairly smart on their half. You can own a PS3 or 360 and pick up a Wii and get something fairly different. The PS3 has their motion axis thingy, but that can't be compared to how Wii is played. I'm really interested to see sales figures down the road. 360 will be strong, PS3 should see an increase soon, and Wii just might be a bit of a trend and their sales could start to die down.

Dave Youell
02-28-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't see myself getting a 360, mainly because most of the games I've seen look ok, but not to my tastes.

I have a Wii and I love it, there's a bunch of games coming out in the next 12 months that look fecking awesome.

The PS3 if far too overpriced at the moment, until it drops (and by like 50%) I'm going to stick with my Wii thanks

The Diva
02-28-2007, 09:13 AM
We have 3 360's. My younger brother got his launch, I got mine Feb of last year and my older brother got his about November/December of last year. There are upsides and downsides to that alone. Being such big gamers as we are we all of course always wanted to play(hence the need for 3 consoles) BUT that requires 3 copies of every game because most games are online without splitscreen or no splitscreen at all. And playing online alone was bad with a 3 meg connection, 3 consoles and 3 pc's. Me and my boyfriend live together now and have 5 meg with one console and two pc's and isn't a problem.... but now he NEEDS a 360 of his own. I mean of course he'll get it but damn 4 consoles between four people? We have issues and need to learn to share.

ANYWAY, I worked at Gamestop last year when the Wii and PS3 were coming out and people were more excited when the Wii came in than the PS3. I of course, always discouraged customers from the PS3 and worked them towards the 360 on the fact that it is a better overall system, yes some argued but unsuccessfully. And now people see that shit, I was right.From the first time I saw the PS3 display I knew it was useless, there was nothing there that my 360 didn't already have, and then some. The fact that Sony took ideas from everyone else when they pretty much realized their shit sucked is hilarious.

No, I'm not a fanboy you should all know that by now, the 360 has it's own problems we all know that but not everything is perfect. We've always owned all systems, hell the PS2 and about 60 or so games is on the other side of the tv, I just know when something better comes along, and that something came in November of 2005. I don't mention the Wii much because it's a kinda limbo system like the GC was, a good solid system with quality games that doesn't compete in the console wars really because it's just there for people to have fun with. I've always respected Nintendo for their ability to say 'no' when they don't feel something is up to their standards. I have a DS Lite(pink of course) and love it, I have a 360(soon to be pink : p ) and love it, there is nothing else I need right now, especially faulty overpriced systems.

Kalyx triaD
02-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Nintendo DS, bitches.

Kane Knight
02-28-2007, 01:21 PM
But that raises the question, what is good about the PS3 that they are getting the sales? Some see it as an investment, others may just be PS fanyboys but really when you look at things 360 has similar games/graphics like the PS3 give or take a few things.

The reasons it's getting sales:

It's Sony.
It's a Playstation.
There are titles people are expecting to see on it.
It was hyped as the hot toy at Christmas.
Technophiles love shiny new things.
The raw power stats will wow a lot of casuals, because it uses a lot of numbers.

Funky Fly
03-01-2007, 01:09 AM
The reasons it's getting sales:

There are titles people are expecting to see on it.

This is the only reason I'm getting one. The majority of the titles I want will be on this system.

Kane Knight
03-01-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm lucky in that sense. MGS will likely be ported over to the 360, and aside from that, I can't think of any "exclusives" I want.

Since most games will go multiplatform, the winner will likely be the 360 overall.

Kalyx triaD
03-01-2007, 04:07 PM
How tastefully ironic: Because of Sony's arrogance they'll lose the one thing that made so damn dominate; support.

Nintendo will eventually get some decent support, and I think Dragon Quest 9 being a DS exclusive is a damn good message to send.

Funky Fly
03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah. DS is getting some good shit in the future. Now Nintendo needs to put out a Fire Emblem for it and I'm set.