PDA

View Full Version : Needless Music Changes

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
02-28-2007, 06:03 PM
In my opinion, randomly switching someone's music for no reason at all can hamper their efforts to get over, and cheese off the fans.

Main ones I can think of right now are:

The Bashams: They seemed to change music on a weekly basis, each new song worse than the last.

Victoria: I don't know if this was down to song licensing or what, but her old one was much better.

Lashley: I don't see how his new one is any improvement at all. Other than to say 'Look at me. I am now a main eventer. You can tell this from my slightly altered theme.' I don't see a point in it.

There's plenty more I can think of, but I'll let you guys name a few.

King Steve
02-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Batista.

King Steve
His old theme without the vocals was far better.

Xero
Personally I prefer the new version of Lashley's.

Angle's was pretty needless past "they will continue to chant "You Suck". The ones who do that are usually sheeple, so just try to get the "Angle" sing-along back into the groove.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
02-28-2007, 06:12 PM
WWE's current obsession with adding vocals has ballsed up a lot of themes.

Examples: Batista, Kane, Benoit.

King Steve
02-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes, I agree with Jabba and I don't like it when they add something at the beginning of the theme. ( i.e. Gregory Helms)

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
HOW DO YA LIKE ME NOW?!

King Steve
02-28-2007, 06:18 PM
They took that out of Holly's theme though. lol.

Stickman
02-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Didn't the Undertaker have a few different funeral songs?

King Steve
02-28-2007, 06:23 PM
I personally prefer Taker's 'Ministry' theme.

Xero
02-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Didn't the Undertaker have a few different funeral songs?
Like 850...

The Ravishing One
02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Yes, I agree with Jabba and I don't like it when they add something at the beginning of the theme. ( i.e. Gregory Helms)

I am Super.......I am Crazy........I am SuperCrazy!!!!

Jeritron
02-28-2007, 06:43 PM
i always found it needless for them to change Rey's music. Most of the changes made to wrestlers over with me eventually grows on me.

For example, I didn't even like the change of HHH's music in 2000 at first. Same with Eddie and even Goldbergs when he came to WWE.

Then theres others you just can't change, like Jericho or The Rock.

I personally like the vocalized versions of Benoit, Kane and RVDs music a lot.

But the award for the most needless music change of all time goes to Austin after his heel turn in 2001. They kept the glass break, and then it was just some crappy riff.
Should have stuck with the classic theme or the disturbed version. You don't change the most over star evers music just because he's a heel.

Xero
02-28-2007, 06:54 PM
I fucking hate Booyaka.

The Optimist
02-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Lol. I liked Rey's ECW/WCW theme. If someone can help me out on a way to get that there will be rep for them.

RVD's is good. Kane was better when he had a mask so it fits that his theme is much more. . .how should I put this. . ."sorrowful".

Super Crazy's Desperado theme from Raw that one week was super-dope, his new narrated theme and the Mexicool's theme still seem dumb. That's coming from a huge Mexicool's fan if you can beleive it.

Xero
02-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Van Dam's is a perfect alternative to Walk (it's fairly similar too).

Stickman
02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Van Dam's is a perfect alternative to Walk (it's fairly similar too).

But the crowd can't really sing along.

Xero
02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Well, can't help that.

But the one song that pisses me off to no end is Sandman. Don't even get me started how shitty his entrance is without Enter Sandman.

aaaaa
02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Lashley's new "extreme rock" sounding theme is not as good as the original. The bass in the original was awesome and it was one of my faves.

Adding a random soundbyte to a theme is really overdone now. I really don't miss hearing "Gweg-wee Helms!" at the start of the former Cruiserweight Champ's entrance. (I think he had a new theme on SD! last week)

Xero
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Most people here would shit their pants if they took the "If ya Smell" out of Rock's theme.

Not unlike Sid.

Jeritron
02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
any good music needs a cue at the beginning needs a cue that can come out of nowhere and be suprising, yet instantly recognizable

whether it be "are you ready", a gong, glass shattering, "you think you know me", or a countdown most great entrance themes have had something that tipped off the crowd to go nuts.

I think thats what they try to achieve when they put things like that at the beginning of a song.

Xero
02-28-2007, 07:37 PM
That's exactly it.

Jeritron
02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
personally, i mark out these days when I hear "you think you know me"

02-28-2007, 08:05 PM
personally, i mark out these days when I hear "you think you know me"

Needs to be there the rest of his career imo.

Jeritron
02-28-2007, 08:07 PM
it will be. Even with 3 or 4 music changes it's always remained at the beginning

02-28-2007, 08:12 PM
His current theme is actually one of my favorites of the last decade or so...hacked up version of the original song though, but great for him.

Most of the new wave of themes I've hated...I really hate Orton's. Love Edge's though.

Jeritron
02-28-2007, 08:14 PM
fits him well

Theo Dious
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
WWE's current obsession with adding vocals has ballsed up a lot of themes.

Examples: Batista, Kane, Benoit.

Kane and Benoit's vocal themes are only bad because the words start a second before they cut the music.

Mr. Nerfect
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Gregory Helms did not need to lose his theme for his new one. I really liked his old one. If anything, Helms needed the Benoit/Kane treatment, and get it turned into a song with lyrics.

Bobby Lashley's new theme really irritates me. He needs to get an entirely new theme. Hopefully they give him the Batista treatment, and get a band to perform it.

Ashley's current theme pisses me off to no end. I know it must have cost a lot of money to pay for "Be Yourself" again, but why not just have her ditch it for London & Kendrick's theme. This isn't me being a London & Kendrick mark, it's just their music is better. It's got more energy, and that seems to be a fit for Ashley.

I am kind of upset that Jamie Noble now uses the Pit Bulls theme music. It's a rip-off of that Kid Rock song, and while that seemed appropriate with Kid Kash, it really doesn't need to be done with Jamie Noble. I miss his old-school theme. It was more unique. The second version of it was slightly below the original in terms of quality, in my opinion.

Destor
02-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Benjamin going back to the WGTT music was a terrible idea.

Mr. Nerfect
02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Benjamin going back to the WGTT music was a terrible idea.

I respect your opinion on the matter, but with the WWE never-ever using Haas and Benjamin coherently as a tag team, the music kind of reminds everyone that they are actually together. I like the music, anyhow.

Pepsi Man
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
i always found it needless for them to change Rey's music. Most of the changes made to wrestlers over with me eventually grows on me.

For example, I didn't even like the change of HHH's music in 2000 at first. Same with Eddie and even Goldbergs when he came to WWE.

Then theres others you just can't change, like Jericho or The Rock.

I personally like the vocalized versions of Benoit, Kane and RVDs music a lot.

But the award for the most needless music change of all time goes to Austin after his heel turn in 2001. They kept the glass break, and then it was just some crappy riff.
Should have stuck with the classic theme or the disturbed version. You don't change the most over star evers music just because he's a heel.
Actually, as a heel, I liked the theme Austin had the Raw after he turned on the WWF for the Alliance a lot. It was kind of just a slower version of his most well-known theme (the one just before Glass Shatters), and I thought it fit well. Same guy, but now he's all "evil" and whatnot.

Fox
02-28-2007, 11:48 PM
SOMEONE should have kept the Evolution theme as their permanent theme song... probably Randy Orton. Of course, they booted him out and turned him face, so he couldn't exactly keep it, but that was another mistake they made.

Evolution Theme > Orton's current "HEY! NOTHIN' YOU CAN SAY (SAY)!" faggy theme

03-01-2007, 12:19 AM
^Glad someone else thinks so. That theme is still one of my all-time faves.

Edit: That was actually one of my favorite Titantron vids too.

Jeritron
03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Orton should have kept it. But of course, Orton should have never left Evolution either. He should have taken over as the leader. And once the stabled broke up or fizzled out he could have retained the music. Or at least a variation like the Rock's music was a variation from the final nation theme.

Mr. Nerfect
03-01-2007, 01:25 AM
SOMEONE should have kept the Evolution theme as their permanent theme song... probably Randy Orton. Of course, they booted him out and turned him face, so he couldn't exactly keep it, but that was another mistake they made.

Evolution Theme > Orton's current "HEY! NOTHIN' YOU CAN SAY (SAY)!" faggy theme

I think Kenny Dykstra should have brought it back when they were teasing him joining Rated-RKO. Just have him cut a promo one day: "I'm not the next Killer Kowalski, I'm not the next Harley Race, I'm not the next Ric Flair, I'm not the next Stone Cold Steve Austin, Rock or Randy Orton. I'm the first Kenny Dykstra. The Evolution of the business has lead to me." Then have him take on the Evolution theme, and call himself "Kenny Dykstra I". It'd be good for an interesting mid-card run, to say the least.

03-01-2007, 01:28 AM
I'll assume the topic's been discussed on these boards, but good grief, I cannot stand the tag, Dykstra.

Lenny Dykstra was enough for me.

Anyway, not a bad idea. He needs some sort of hook, as does Orton in my opinion. Legend Killer doesn't work in my opinion, especially when he's stagnating at the moment.

"What? This boring high-mid carder crushed WWE legends?"

Theo Dious
03-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Rated-RKO should add one more guy to the group and then start using an instrumental version of the Evolution theme, just to piss off HHH.

BTW, am I the only one who can't get the Evolution tune out of my head any time I put on a suit?

03-01-2007, 10:00 AM
rofl And sunglasses. Or when I see someone being gang-raped.

...Anyway, I love that song. I hate the vocals though. Instrumental version was >>>> the version with lyrics.

Executioner
03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Rated-RKO should add one more guy to the group and then start using an instrumental version of the Evolution theme, just to piss off HHH.

BTW, am I the only one who can't get the Evolution tune out of my head any time I put on a suit?

Ill second that last statement....:shifty:

FourFifty
03-01-2007, 10:25 PM

Nope

Theo Dious
03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Sucks too, I was at a funeral home last night and I kept getting this insane urge to Pedigree and RKO people. I almost stopped at a toy store on the way there to pick up one of those foam-and-plastic title belts.

I did look pretty sharp though.

03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
The Evolution gang beatings were always cool up until the point Batista got them ready for the Batista bomb...it always looked like he was mounting them. Then H would strip off his shirt and...well, the whole thing was a bit...

:wtf:

Jeritron
03-02-2007, 03:51 AM
I miss Evolution. Should have been led by Orton after canning HHH and Batista never should have gotten pushed that quickly. And they should have recruited a new member.

Rob
03-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Most people here would shit their pants if they took the "If ya Smell" out of Rock's theme.

They did it once. His hollywood theme.

CSL
03-02-2007, 01:44 PM
<font color=white>When Christian first turned on Edge and switched to the 'At last your on your own' theme, he had a slighty different one for a few weeks which I thought was better than the one he then used for a few years or so.

BTW, if anyone has that theme or knows where I could get it from, I'd love you forever :D</font>

Maria xXx
03-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I wish they did not change Ashley's music. :(

NeanderCarl
03-04-2007, 10:06 AM
How many themes did Koko B. Ware really need? And why don't you get good old-fashioned, gimmick-suited entrances themes, like 'I Am The Mountie' nowadays??

.44 Magdalene
03-04-2007, 10:20 AM
How many themes did Koko B. Ware really need? And why don't you get good old-fashioned, gimmick-suited entrances themes, like 'I Am The Mountie' nowadays??

I SPIT IN DE FACE

OF PEOPLE WHO DO NOT WANT TO BE COOL

-Cue cabana music.-

NeanderCarl
03-04-2007, 11:14 AM
That's not the same. Having a little soundbite at the start of a song isn't the same as having a song ABOUT the wrestler.

'All-American Boys' (Rougeaus), 'I Am The Mountie' (Mountie), 'Sexy Boy' (Shawn Michaels), 'Demolition', 'Jive Soul Bro' (Slick), 'Hard Time' (Big Bossman), Koko B. Ware's tunes etc. They all suited the wrestler.

Jeritron
03-04-2007, 11:21 AM
dude, don't be so hung up on the old days that you act like things are different that aren't.

How about John Cenas theme? Or how about a few years back, Jerichos and The Rocks. Triple H's current and old music are about him. Evolutions was. RVDs is called one of a kind for a reason. If I went down the roster I'm sure I'd find plenty of wrestlers whose songs are about their character.
It's just not as cheese based.

.44 Magdalene
03-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Big Show's was, too, but I don't know if that constitutes "nowadays."

NeanderCarl
03-04-2007, 09:33 PM
No, they're just not as fun, that's all. And some of those I mentioned are absolute classic tunes. And some of the more recent ones designed specifically for the wrestler (The Game, Break The Walls Down, No Chance In Hell) are also classics. It's a winning formula, so why send, for example, Kenny Dykstra out there with some generic rock riff when he could gain so much additional personality simply from a well executed entrance song? It's just a waste.

Jeritron
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Because wrestling for the most part isn't as gimmick based as it was in that time. Kenny Dykstra, what would his song be?
Maybe thats just a bad example, but since wrestlers aren't as gimmick based and it's not the 80's, the music is gonna follow suit.
As for the ones that still have songs about them, they're more fitting of the persona than the gimmick.

El Fangel
03-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Didn't the Undertaker have a few hundred different songs?

.44 Magdalene
03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah...if you want songs to fit the gimmick, you have to have a gimmick first.

People keep going on about "personas" over "gimmicks," when half these damn wrestlers don't even have "personas." What the fuck is Kenny Dykstra's persona? Huh? He's a young guy that was a cheerleader, and now he's not. He beat Ric Flair several times. That's his entire "persona." That's all. Fuck that.

Fuckin' stupid. Give me a blatant gimmick any day of the week.

Lock Jaw
03-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Kenny should become The Dyke.

NeanderCarl
03-05-2007, 08:06 AM
But a song can give him that persona or gimmick that he lacks. If somebody wrote a song about Dykstra and how he'll kick your ass, then drink you under the table, then kiss your woman, then beat you at chess (fuck, I dunno, I'm not Jim Johnson) maybe the fans would have a reason to react because the song has given them some kind of idea who/what Dykstra is all about.

addy2hotty
03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
But a song can give him that persona or gimmick that he lacks. If somebody wrote a song about Dykstra and how he'll kick your ass, then drink you under the table, then kiss your woman, then beat you at chess (fuck, I dunno, I'm not Jim Johnson) maybe the fans would have a reason to react because the song has given them some kind of idea who/what Dykstra is all about.

I would love that gimmick. The womanising, ass-kicking chess master.

FYI, The Mounties original theme was great. Then they turned it to a comedy theme and I hated his guts. And the Quebecers.

Juan
03-07-2007, 10:42 PM
<font color=white>When Christian first turned on Edge and switched to the 'At last your on your own' theme, he had a slighty different one for a few weeks which I thought was better than the one he then used for a few years or so.

BTW, if anyone has that theme or knows where I could get it from, I'd love you forever :D</font>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HIPW_GMHtEA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HIPW_GMHtEA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Marc the Smark
03-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Nobody mentioned John Cean's themes... they changed his from "World Life" to the thing with the rolled tongue, "You Can't See Me. My Time is Now."

Jeritron
03-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Nobody mentioned John Cean's themes... they changed his from "World Life" to the thing with the rolled tongue, "You Can't See Me. My Time is Now."

Even though since that he's gone on to be hated, it was a good change of music.