PDA

View Full Version : WWF New York

Marc the Smark
03-14-2007, 12:13 AM
We all remember this place, but how many of you have been there? I never had a chance to go, but I would have liked to... Why did it fail?

M-A-G
03-14-2007, 12:23 AM
It wasn't profitable.

Übermensch
03-14-2007, 12:30 AM
I ate there once. It was just low quality fried food with WWF logos all around, and a WWF gift shop.

Compared to the other theme resturants in Times Square, WWF New York just didn't have the brand recognition.

Triple A
03-14-2007, 12:33 AM
I went there once to meet Taz and watch WWF Raw!!!!

Triple A
03-14-2007, 12:33 AM
And it probably failed because the rent was ridiculous considering it was right in the middle of Times Square.

jindrak
03-14-2007, 01:09 AM
I passed by it a few times only.

The One
03-14-2007, 01:27 AM
I was there twice. It was kind of fun, but basically it was Hard Rock Cafe with WWF logos everywhere...oh and they didn't have displays of costumes...

94 SVT Cobra
03-14-2007, 01:46 AM
I never ate there, but i went there right before it closed to see a concert. for that, it was kinda ill.

RGWhat316
03-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Never got a chance to actually go inside. But in my only trip to NYC, I did walk past it, and wanted to go in, but was with another group on a schedule.

FakeLaser
03-14-2007, 02:46 AM
I always wanted to go but I never did.

KayfabeMan
03-14-2007, 02:53 AM
My cousin went, and sent me some stuff from the place. Never got to go myself, as I didn't make it around that area during the time it was open.

I heard they also went under because of the guy in charge or whatever was stealing money from WWE and cost them lots of $$ on the project. I believe he was arrested and went to trial / was jailed, IIRC.

Jeritron
03-14-2007, 03:59 AM
I remember it was awesome just for the gift shop. For instance, it was when I was younger and collected the action figures and they had like every single one, even the hard to find popular ones.

ron the dial
03-14-2007, 04:08 AM
I ate some chicken there once. It was pretty dry.

Silent
03-14-2007, 04:55 AM
I went there with my parents when I was like 12/13 on a trip to NYC. I remember it being pretty cool, we sat in the big lounge/diner thing and watched Smackdown. I don't remember hating the food. :o

I also bought some UK PayPerViews in the gift shop, which was huge.

Jeritron
03-14-2007, 04:59 AM
I bought action figures of the Hardys, The Dudleys, Cactus Jack, Tazz and Kurt Angle, and I think Rikishi.

Which was awesome for me at the time because they had all just came out and were impossible to find.

The Ravishing One
03-14-2007, 08:00 AM
WWF New York needed to get the 'F' out.

:shifty:

KingofOldSchool
03-14-2007, 08:12 AM
I went there back in 2000, they did have amazing cheese sticks. Actually they were cheese triangles. :-\

I got a Tazz shirt and a Triple H jersey in the gift shop.

Xero
03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I went there once. Not the greatest. Overpriced "ok" food. Bought a Tazz shirt and saw part of the McMahon/Austin VHS on the big tron there.

Jeritron
03-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Seems like everyone bought a Tazz tshirt in 2000. It must have been one of their best sellers, too bad he didn't get a push to go with his awesome orange tshirt.

Xero
03-14-2007, 10:40 AM
LOL, yeah. Loved that shirt. Logo was raised and everything. Don't know where it is now though...

Jeritron
03-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Great shirt. Great debut. Great talent. Great heat. Great character. Great potential. Horrible run. No push.

SHOULD HAVE WON THE FUCKING IC BELT AND THEN HIT AUSTIN. AND BEEN THE LEADER OF THE ECW BRANCH DURING THE INVASION.
Fuck.

Okay I'm cooled off now.

addy2hotty
03-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Great shirt. Great debut. Great talent. Great heat. Great character. Great potential. Horrible run. No push.

SHOULD HAVE WON THE FUCKING IC BELT AND THEN HIT AUSTIN. AND BEEN THE LEADER OF THE ECW BRANCH DURING THE INVASION.
Fuck.

Okay I'm cooled off now.

They teased it too though. They teased the fact that Taz would stand up to Austin and the rest of the ECW guys would follow him instead. I just pause for a moment and consider how good that could have been. Austin vs Taz for the 'leadership of the Alliance'. It would have taken the onus off the war for a while (which it could have done with tbh) and you could have had the WWF trying to influence the result of the match as Taz would have been more 'receptive' to them.

But they instead had him looking like a pussy in the middle of the ring. Then he became a 'fat, obnoxious colour commentator....and not even a good one'.

Jeritron
03-14-2007, 11:12 AM
blew multiple chances with him. I stand by him hitting Austin having the potential to be amazing. Even if he got bumped back down after the angle, he'd have such a big rub and it'd advance him as a thug so much on WWF programming that he'd easily be able to have a great run in the uppermidcard.

Same with when he debuted, they should have pushed him into a fued with another over star for the IC or European belt. Granted the were doing the thing with Jericho/Benoit. But he shouldn't have been buried in a 13man hardcore battle royal.

He should have won the harcore title in a decent 1 on 1, or triple threat match. Then he should have gone on to fued with Eddie for the European belt or been in the IC division.
After hitting Austin, he would have made a great IC champion.
Then you'd ahve the potential of him taking another breakout role when the ECW debuted in the invasion angle.

pointless to gripe about it tho, they blew it.

Jordan
03-14-2007, 12:09 PM
I ate there and watched Smackdown once with Stevie Richards. It was a cool place, I wish it were still here.

Team Sheep
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I've been to NYC 3 times in the past 2 years or so. Never got there when the place was open. I've walked past the Hard Rock Cafe that's there now and wished it were still here. I would have loved to check it out.

Loose Cannon
03-14-2007, 04:21 PM
I looked inside the window many times. The place was mad expensive for what it was.

Loose Cannon
03-14-2007, 04:24 PM
and yep, they blew two chances with the same dam angle. RVD and Taz standing up to Austin. I remember RVD's line "I don't like you either" to Austin got a huge pop. Then they both just bowed down to Austin. god, that pissed me off.

ClockShot
03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Never been there. Although I heard if you wanted to drop by for a PPV you had to pay 10 bucks or something just to hang around.

Kriss Angel did a water tank trick there. Soon after, the restaurant closed up.

Champion of Europa
03-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I never went there, but I did buy one of the orange Tazz t-shirts.

Evil Vito
03-14-2007, 06:44 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I went in but never ate there</font>