PDA

View Full Version : Serious discussion.

Gouda
03-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Greetings friends. You may remember me from such years as 2004 and 2005. I've still been lurking around but haven't really bothered to log in or post for the past year or so.

Anyways, I am currently working on an essay about wrestling. What exactly I am writing about or on I have no idea. However, I must gather information from wrestling audiences. Thus, it would be of great help if you could answer some or all of these questions to the best of your abilities. I may come back and add more questions if I think of them.

1) Why do you watch wrestling? What is it that keeps you coming back week after week? Or if you think it is horrible, why do you keep watching, or why did you stop?

2) What do you think of all the recap packages and instant replays? Do they effect you or your viewing at all?

3) Same question as above, but about the commentators.

4) Why would you choose to watch wrestling over another TV show?

5) What do you think about the comparison of Wrestling with soap operas? Do you watch soap operas?
-------

And that's all I can think of for now.

One more thing though, if you know of any other good wrestling forums then pass them along. Maybe a forum where marks hang out (or a TNA message board or something).

Gouda
03-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Hmmm... it HAS been a long time since I've been here... Still got the Peeps Unite sig.

Lock Jaw
03-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Hmmm... I'll give it a shot.

1) Why do you watch wrestling? What is it that keeps you coming back week after week? Or if you think it is horrible, why do you keep watching, or why did you stop?

I watch wrestling nowadays mostly because of habit. Well, really, since 24 is on at the same time I don't really watch it at all anymore. But I'll go back.

It's just something I grew up with, and I'll keep watching. Doesn't mean I get as into it or pay much attention as I used to. I might be on the computer at the same time, or doing something else.

Aside from habit, I do come back to see what good wrestling that there is, and to see the latest developments in stories and characters that I like (which are few and far between these days).

2) What do you think of all the recap packages and instant replays? Do they effect you or your viewing at all?

Most of the time I just get pissed off at them because I'm like "This JUST happened two minutes ago!". Do they effect me? Not really. They're just there to put focus and heavy attention on the so-called main event angles.

Not sure how to answer this. Commentators are just something that is there. I don't necessarily pay close attention to them. At the same time though, I can't imagine watching wrestling without them. Even if they are horrible they give it all a sense of importance and excitement. I'd rather listen to Don West than dead silence.

Cause other TV shows suck more. And the whole habit thing mentioned above. Plus, I made it clear that I didn't choose it over 24.

5) What do you think about the comparison of Wrestling with soap operas? Do you watch soap operas?

I think it is a fair comparison. Ongoing stories stretched on and on... but instead of talking about their feelings in emotion filled monologues, problems are solved with violence.

I do not watch other soap operas.

There. Hope that helped. As for other sites... might want to try rajah.... I've never been there myself but I occassionally hear other people here mention it (mostly about how they hate it or something)

Pepsi Man
03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
lmao @ "(or a TNA message board"

Mr. Nerfect
03-16-2007, 08:33 PM

When I originally started watching back in early 2001, it was because I was angry at the world, and seeing two people pretend to beat each other to a pulp was right up my alley. All the implications, none of the psychological scarring.

They're redundant. The commentators should fill in the story, and most of the time the packages don't even tell you anything, they just show fast-moving images and chew up time which could go to more important stuff. I'd rather the commentators just get some time to talk about why this match is so important.

Commentators are a very important part of wrestling to me. They add flavour to the matches, and can help me get into it better than I could if I knew nothing. Good commentators are preferble to bad commentators, though. The team of JBL and Michael Cole, Joey Styles, Josh Mathews and Mike Tenay are what I'd consider good commentators.

It's usually just because I've been watching it for a while, so I'm well versed in it. Just stopping wouldn't be that rewarding in itself, even if the show offers me nothing to write home about.

I don't watch soap operas, but I can see where the comparison comes from. I think a better way to describe wrestling would be a combination of acting and stunt work. It's closer to a movie than a soap opera, in my opinion. Let's just hope they get a new director.

Xero
03-16-2007, 08:47 PM
If you want a mark to answer this, ask Red Hot Scott.

KayfabeMan
03-16-2007, 11:09 PM

I started watching wrestling for the characters and the portrayals of them really. Looking back, that's what really drew me in. Especially the heels and the way they could control a crowd and react to things. I grew to love and appreciate actual in-ring work and ability, as well as charisma, and the duo kept me watching.

I stopped watching regularly back in the early 00's. Like 2002. I watched TNA every week on PPV until they cut their weekly PPV's though. To me, after the WWE bought WCW and ECW, it just was never, and has never been the same again. The options as to what you could watch, how much talent you saw & when you saw it were severely impacted and limited.

Prior to that, I had watched every WWF, WCW, ECW and indy broadcast that I could pick up, and watched / taped thousands of hours of material.

I also didn't like the general direction of the company, heading more towards 20 minute promos and 3 minute matches and lots of skits. Even during their Attitude Era, they still had better wrestling going on amongst all the skits & such. Anyhow, I tune in nowadays when there are guys on that I like to see and enjoy watching. Mainly guys I grew up on, or have come to like over the years.

Somewhat. In today's programming, it helps me because I'm not a regular viewer, so I can go back and understand a little of the backstory, not that there is much anymore. On the older broadcasts, they were also a bonus at times since they would help build excitement for an angle / match. However, sometimes they can indeed be overdone, similar to commercials in a broadcast.

I cannot really answer 3 for various reasons.

Back in the 1990's, for me, wrestling was pretty much THE TV show. Mainly the only thing I watched during the week, with all the programming. WCW Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, Pro, Worldwide, Main Event, Prime, etc. & then WWF with RAW, Smackdown, Superstars, Shotgun Saturday Night, Livewire, All American, Heat, Action Zone, Jakked, Super Astros, Velocity, Tough Enough, etc. and then of course, ECW's various programming and other groups on TV like MCW, the other MCW, etc. that I could also pick up.

I was always watching them, no matter what else was on TV at the time.

The reasoning behind that would be that I was so involved in the storylines, the presentation and mainly the athletes themselves that I looked forward to seeing each week. I loved the performances that people gave & the excitement around the matches. They had more of a big league feel to them back then than they do today in wrestling. I always watched for the opportunity to study and learn as well.

Nowadays, I tune in when either I want to see guys I like on the shows or there is absolutely nothing else on television to watch that catches my interest in the slightest. Other than that, I wouldn't really watch today's product too much over current shows that I can keep informed with, ex. news programming, etc. or sometimes entertainment shows which seem to have, believe it or not, more entertainment value than they do today.

I have seen a number of Soap Operas, mainly just Passions though. I could absolutely see comparisons of pro-wrestling to soap operas for a number of reasons, mainly more in the product of wrestling from 1997ish-to the present day. Angles involving marriages, deaths, kidnappings, babies, etc., etc. are all very similar to the soap world.

Pre-that time, it could be kinda soapy now and then, but it was moreso very family oriented programming and more of an action movie with the proper touch of comedy and suspense, ala Jackie Chan or some such person.

Corkscrewed
03-17-2007, 03:14 AM
Actually, I don't really watch wrestling anymore unless I happen to have time. But I'll check results because wrestling's been such a long part of my life that it remains an interest that I like be updated on.

And I always hold out an iota of hope that it'll get better.

FourFifty
03-17-2007, 03:45 AM

I've been watching this for over 20 years. Maybe it's a force of habit, or a comfort zone. No matter what road life has taken me on I've always been able to watch wrestling. I live with two other wrestling fans right now, there are wrestling fans in my family, and it's something that when I decide to have kids I'll expose them to. It's not just a show, it's part of my life.

I think they're there for the casual fans. Frankly I didn't need to see Donald Trump shove Vince again. I saw it on Raw. If I would have missed it I would have read about it. When it comes to my viewing it gives me a chance to grab a soda, use the restroom, or talk about something that's not "Here's what happened last week!"

The commentators and key to the action. Try watching football or baseball on mute so you can't hear the play by play. First off all casual fans will be lost, and second off all the hardcore fans will be pissed off because that's what they're used to.
However, unlike real sports, the commentatos can change who I like. At frist I liked MVP, but after a week of hearing JBL talk trash about him I didn't like him. I also thought The Miz was a waste of space, but, once again, hearing how JBL talks about him, I'm a MizFit. OOORAH!!!

I don't watch that much TV as it is. It's wrestling, news, stand uo comedy, or cartoons. I don't care what goes on with Gray's Hopsital, or how badly the Joey show sucked. American sitcoms are the pits, most of the drama is horrible, and the next Harry Potter book isn't out.
Also, I watch it in a group. It's not just me keeping tabs on who has a title, but more so hanging out with my roommates.

Wrestling? A soap opera? Say it ain't so!!!
Seriously, that's the best way to talk about it to someone who doesn't watch wrestling. I do not watch soaps, but my mom does, and I'm in the midsrt of writing a spoof soap (so I might TiVo a soap here and there).
I'll gladly compare soaps to wrestling so long as no one compares normal soap stars to wrestlers.