PDA

View Full Version : Are these guys Hall of Famers? (baseball)

Supreme Olajuwon
03-27-2007, 04:29 PM
I thought it might be an interesting topic to argue about

*poll coming*

Supreme Olajuwon
03-27-2007, 05:09 PM
a lot of names so I didn't pick younger guys who are on the fence like Chipper and Helton who might still have a chance to put up big numbers to make them more likely to get in. Also I look the liberty of assuming a lot of people were in my opinion guaranteed to get in once they're eligible (Piazza, Frank Thomas, Mariano, Hoffman, etc.)

Still I'm sure there are some names left off the list that will offend people and they'll complain and act like they know something (they don't) so I apologize in advance

ct2k
03-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Depends really, are you talking about who we would like to see get in or who we think actually will?

Supreme Olajuwon
03-27-2007, 05:25 PM
what you think

We'll find out eventually who actually will get in. I would like to have a discussion where cases are presented for or against why guys should get in.

The Miz
03-27-2007, 07:24 PM
yes:
Edgar Fucking Martinez
Hershisher
Gossage
Blyleven
Smith
Rice
Alomar
Dawson
Bagwell
Biggio

no:
Mussina
Morris
Schilling
Brown
Franco
Mesa
Cone
Pettitte
Nenn
Wells
Wagner
Smoltz
Vizquel
Burks
Larkin
Grace
Kent
Santo
Galaragga
Vaughn
Lofton
Mattingly (almost)
Carter
Parker
Belle
Murphy (almost)
Williams
Gonzalez
Thome (if he retired today; a few more productive years then definately)
Raines
McGriff
Walker
Sheffield

The Miz
03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
LOL Jabba! LOL!

Conspiracy Victim Vito
03-27-2007, 07:29 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I basically agree with The Miz except I'd also add Franco to the yes list. 400+ saves, good ERA over a really long career.</font>

FakeLaser
03-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I agree with The Miz for the most part. I don't think Hersheiser has the numbers to get in. He barely has 200 wins. He doesn't have the ERA or K totals to make up for it either, though he does have a Cy Young award. Jim Rice's numbers also fall a little short.

I think Thome and Sheffield will get in because they'll both end up with 500 HR before it's all said and done.

I also think Smoltz gets in for showing dominance as a starter and a closer in his career. He and Eck are the only 2 guys in baseball to both win 20 games and save 50.

I'd like to see Moose get in but it isn't going to happen, unless he wins 300 games which is something of a long shot, though possibly in reach.

It's a travesty that Gossage and Blyleven aren't in already.

RP
03-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Hersheiser also hold a record thats very impressive and may never be broken. So i picked him.

I dont think Bagwell is a HoF player. But i do think Biggio is. The difference there is the position they play. Biggio is one of the best at his position ever ( atleast in the conversation ). Bagwell probably isnt even top 20.

FakeLaser
03-29-2007, 11:57 AM
I'll give it to Bagwell for a few reasons. 449 HR, an MVP season (and 2 more seasons finishing in the top 3) and he's the face of the Astros (along with Biggio). From 1994 to 2001 his numbers are unreal.

Supreme Olajuwon
03-29-2007, 02:31 PM
I've always wondered what Bagwell's final numbers would've been in 94. They projected to something like 215 hits, 155 runs, 57 homers, 170 rbis, 25 stolen bases. Could've been one of the greatest individual seasons ever.

RP
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Yah and the Expos might have won it all. Could you imagine?

YOUR Hero
03-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Craig Biggio
Bernie Williams
Dale Murphy
Curt Schilling
John Smoltz
Jack Morris
Orel Hershiser

There are some other guys that put up really great numbers, but injuries cost them.. along with lack of championships. Bagwell, Dawson, etc

A guy like Orel Hershiser get in imo because of the post season dominance moreso than his career numbers.

spilzrvd_69
03-31-2007, 04:27 PM
I wish Mo Vaughn would make it.

YOUR Hero
03-31-2007, 09:19 PM
With all due respect to Mo Vaughn, if he made it then you might as well let every person on that list in. Too many injuries, no championships and a suspect attitude. (The latter of which I only recall of as a feeling, can't confirm it with anything)

spilzrvd_69
03-31-2007, 09:25 PM
No I agree. I don't think he will make it at all. He was just my favourite player and I would love to see him go in. I say the same thing about Mike Greenwell.

YOUR Hero
03-31-2007, 09:26 PM
...I should point out that yes, he had 2-3 monster years, where he was the man, no doubt about that.

YOUR Hero
03-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Mike Greenwell was the man, I always loved that guy, even his 'look' on the field was right.

Loose Cannon
04-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Biggio is a lock. If you take a look at the great 2nd Basemen of all-time, then take a look at Biggio's numbers throughout each season as compared to other players, you'll see how great he really was. The no championship will hurt him, but his numbers, especially being a 2nd basemen, will get him a spot. He's also one of those model ballplayers that everyone loves. He didn't talk shit, wasn't in the spotlight a whole lot, stayed of one team his entire career.

Actually Bill James ranks him as the 35th greatest player, not 2nd basemen, but player, of all-time. That's really saying something coming from him.