PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so this is the kind of thing I hate about rival wrestling corporations...

DAMN iNATOR
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
when they pull shit like this:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OJ520jGU2Ss"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OJ520jGU2Ss" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That's the former Jay Lethal, now known as the "Black Machismo", obviously a blatant ripoff of none other than "Macho Man" Randy Savage, so I've got a question for both parties:

My Q. to TNA would be this:

Q.: Are you at all worried that WWE may come after you and try to file suit for copyright infringement, or did you get prior consent before this gimmick was given to Jay Lethal?

A.:_______________________________________________________.

My Q. to WWE:

Q.: Are you really that care-free, that you can let this sort of thing slide on your rival's show? I mean after all, let's be honest you guys have gone after “The ‘Immortal One’ Hulk Hogan” numerous times over who owns the rights to his ring name and gimmick...

A.:_______________________________________________________.

Feel free to throw in your own humorous answers, it's not really meant to be that serious of a discussion, just one of those things you always wondered about competing wrestling organizations, but never got around to asking (until now).

DAMN iNATOR
04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
also, LOL at how old Nash looks now...:lol: :rofl: Also the woman in the crowd that gets like a :05 second shot of her almost fainting from the hilarity of it all.

Jeritron
04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
It's protected under parody laws I'd assume. Just like the bWo was.

And since the whole thing is stupid, and will draw approximately 50 cents, the WWE probably doesn't have the energy to make a phone call.

I don't know what they're thinking to be honest. It's far from entertaining and it's a complete dead end for the career of Jay Lethal. Just more garbage

BigDaddyCool
04-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Randy Savage did that Macho man crap in WCW and TNA.

Also, shut up.

The Ravishing One
04-16-2007, 01:38 PM
:lol:

Jeritron
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
DAMNinator, I was also wondering, why doesn't WWE sue every high school in the nation annually?
They're clearly using their music without license...

thedamndest
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
WWE coming after TNA would mean acknowledging them, so it won't happen. Also, this isn't really ripping off as it is meant to be parody, unlike say, the Renegade, who was a clear rip off of Jim Helwig. This type of thing was over with the Big Show for awhile (remember the Showster?) I hope they continue this, spoofing some of Savage's old feuds.

DRBailey
04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
This could actually make VKM seem a logical step to take....Randy Savage will sue however, the man wrote a rap album about how much he hated Hogan, he can file a lawsuit...

Anybody Thrilla
04-16-2007, 01:57 PM
"Be a Man" > "Pomp and Circumstance"

Goulet
04-16-2007, 01:59 PM
"Be a Man" > "ALL"
fixed

Kane Knight
04-16-2007, 02:06 PM
This is protected as parody. Note they are not claiming endorsement of Macho Man, but instead imitating him.

The One
04-16-2007, 02:12 PM
And for what it's worth, Randy Savage has worked with TNA more recently than WWE, so how is this an attack on WWE exactly?

XL
04-16-2007, 02:13 PM
My Q. to WWE:

Q.: Are you really that care-free, that you can let this sort of thing slide on your rival's show? I mean after all, let's be honest you guys have gone after “The ‘Immortal One’ Hulk Hogan” numerous times over who owns the rights to his ring name and gimmick...

A.: TNA!? The only TNA I know is the WWE Divas! They're the hottest women in the world!! Unless of coure your watching in High Definition, in which case they look like withered old hags caked in make-up. You know what...screw HD...you're fired!!!!!

Theo Dious
04-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Savage is an idiot, but he does not deserve this BS.

Anybody Thrilla
04-16-2007, 02:14 PM
If anybody's gonna feel bad for anybody here, it should be Jay Lethal.

DRBailey
04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Who's booking this week in tna?

Destor
04-16-2007, 02:16 PM
How can anyone defend TNA after gimmicks like that?

The Show Off
04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I think it's actually a funny angle. Don't get me wrong if Jay Leathal is called Black Machismo from more then like 4 months, it'll be terrible but as of right now it's actually pretty entertaining.

The main knock on most X-Division wrestlers was the fact that they had now personality, so people really didn't egt into them. However, with the whole gimmick with Kevin Nash they're parodying the fact that Leathal and Sonjay don't have personalities, and giving these guys bullshit gimmicks is a fun way to get the fans into them.

This is obviously predicated on the concept of Leathal either turing on Nash's ideas or Nash saying that Leathal sucks, and then Leathal going back to being a "normal" wrestler and putting on good matches.

As for TNA being sued, they won't it's all just parody, WWF parodied Hulk Hogan with the Huckster and Macho Man with The Nacho Man, and nothing happened. TNA will be able to get away with this as they should. Hell I'm surer they could even call him "The Macho Man" Jay Leathal and get away with it, not that I'm suggesting such a thing.

thedamndest
04-16-2007, 02:23 PM
C'mon, this is hilarious. It's Nash basically mocking the glory of 80's wrestling, bringing forth a form of nostalgia based satire based on a man's drop dead impression that can only serve to forward his career. Jay Lethal would never be a main eventer anyway, and now he's got one of the best monickers ever. Jay "Black Machismo" Lethal. Fucking sweet. Nash is about the only TNA I watch, and it has yet to get old.

Destor
04-16-2007, 02:25 PM
The main knock on most X-Division wrestlers was the fact that they had now personality, so people really didn't egt into them. However, with the whole gimmick with Kevin Nash they're parodying the fact that Leathal and Sonjay don't have personalities, and giving these guys bullshit gimmicks is a fun way to get the fans into them.
...And the part where people AREN'T getting into him, where they (legitimitly) are asking the audience to cheer for Leathal so he can get over on TV, what about that?

Yeah, anyone can see what they are trying to do, to bad it isn't working.

Jeritron
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
It's just a crappy thing. It's a complete dead end gimmick. Even if it gets over on a small level, it will be done with quickly and so will Lethal as a result.
It'll be just as effective as Stevie Richards imitation gimmick in late 99, in which at least he was imitating multiple personas.

The Show Off
04-16-2007, 03:18 PM
...And the part where people AREN'T getting into him, where they (legitimitly) are asking the audience to cheer for Leathal so he can get over on TV, what about that?

Yeah, anyone can see what they are trying to do, to bad it isn't working.

Well then that gets him over on TV. I'm not saying "Black Machismo" is going to with the X-Division title or the World Title, I'm just saying that this gimmick is going to let people know who the hell Jay Leathal is. He's getting my TV time now then he ever did as boring old Jay Leathal. It's not ideal but I is working. I'm aware they told people to cheer for him but now the gimmick is off the ground and he'll get some solid reaction off of this... And when he drops this gimmick to go into a good fued this will wind up being a pretty good thing in the end.

SammyG
04-16-2007, 03:29 PM
omg nash looks SO OLD

SammyG
04-16-2007, 03:30 PM
lmao though, He does an amazing impression.

KayfabeMan
04-16-2007, 03:30 PM
The gimmick would work if they could have Savage come to TNA and face-off with and/or team up with Lethal at some point, but most likely that won't be happening. Though you never know nowadays.

Crossrine
04-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Jeritron
It's protected under parody laws I'd assume. Just like the bWo was.

:y:

Dorkchop
04-16-2007, 08:19 PM
The gimmick would work if they could have Savage come to TNA and face-off with and/or team up with Lethal at some point, but most likely that won't be happening.

Totally agree.

I think it's fucking hilarious, but really shouldn't last long. It'd be like someone immitating the Warrior for some laughs. I'll admit that it would be really funny a couple of times, but that's it. Parodies in wrestling have a very very very short shelf life. And that's a good thing.

Mr. Nerfect
04-16-2007, 11:53 PM
This is brilliant if you ask me. OK, well that makes it sound intellectual, but it is certainly a great idea. Lethal does an amazing impersonation, and it is OVER. He was so fucking over at Lockdown it wasn't funny. They've turned Jay Lethal from "X-Division guy TNA is misusing" into "hot character in the X-Division that TNA is using". Personally, I love it.

In the perfect world, Lethal would just reveal he was trained by Samoa Joe, and the two would kick ass together, but this isn't a perfect world, and at least they have Lethal doing something that's working.

People are taking this thing too seriously, in my opinion. It isn't meant to be an attack, it's meant to get people interested in Jay Lethal. Considering the guy is now over, and he has people discussing him in a thread of his own, I think it's working.

Some notes from the video:

-Nash needs to let his hair grow. Like hippie style. Either that, or cut it. As it is now, it really doesn't work. I love Nash as a character, but that hair just seems out of place.

-Mike Tenay, as much as I love him, was not very good at pointing out the humour in the situation. Don West is just frustrating. Replace West with Raven, and maybe add someone like Jeremy Borash, or someone a little more established to the TNA commentary team, so it is more multi-purpose.

BigDaddyCool
04-17-2007, 02:00 AM
-Nash needs to let his hair grow. Like hippie style. Either that, or cut it. As it is now, it really doesn't work. I love Nash as a character, but that hair just seems out of place.

Look, it takes time to grow hair. Never ever speak badly of Nash's hair again. :mad:

Mr. Nerfect
04-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Look, it takes time to grow hair. Never ever speak badly of Nash's hair again. :mad:

I know, I've had my share of down periods whilst growing my hair, but I just want to see Nash with long grey hair, damn it all. I think that would be so awesome.

Kane Knight
04-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Man, marks are fucking sad.

BigDaddyCool
04-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Man, marks are fucking sad.

Explain yourself.

Crossrine
04-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Kane Knight vs BigDaddyCool
100, 146 posts vs 21, 364 posts

Theo Dious
04-17-2007, 02:06 PM

....and?

BigDaddyCool
04-17-2007, 02:08 PM

Yeah, what is your point?

What Would Kevin Do?
04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Can't say I care either way, but at least it gives peeps in the X-division some character.

Also, the one segment they had with Nash and him where he was talking about Savage, trying to get Lethal into the character was hilarious.

owenbrown
04-17-2007, 02:59 PM
In the case of this video, Imitation is NOT the sincerest form of flattery. :nono:

Shaggy
04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
If I wouldnt of known that it was Jay Lethal I would of thought it was Macho Man coming with a new name...

oh yea..

and that he turned black...

Crossrine
04-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by BigDaddyCool
Yeah, what is your point?

At first I was going to say "Lets get it on" hoping we had a "debate" but guess not...