PDA

View Full Version : So Carlito... (spoilers)

Corkscrewed
05-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Had the second weakest heel turn ever (I consider CM Punk's the weakest, since apparently, they wanted him to be heel for two weeks before he turned face again) because of his recent rant. Had he not gotten in the doghouse, he would have had a heel turn that didn't... ya know... suck.

That's my theory. ;)

D Mac
05-01-2007, 02:41 AM
I was kinda shocked at first I thought he would attack Flair after losing the match but yeah Flair basically owning him made it pretty weak.

M-A-G
05-01-2007, 04:37 AM
Here's what grates my cheese about the whole situation: You've got a completely perfect team in Flair and Carlito with no real good reason to feud with one another other than the sake of the writing team putting them together to split them up. Last night was, what, their 3rd match against Haas and Benjamin? Why not just do a feud between the two teams? You're already dedicating air time to their matches and it's not like Haas and Benjamin are getting anything out of it; they're just there for the sake of the angle. The tag title division can't just be centered around two teams. If Flair and Carlito were going to feud, why not do it from the beginning of this whole fiasco when Flair got all up in Carlito's grill about passion? I mean, am I crazy for thinking this?

Dave Youell
05-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Here's what grates my cheese about the whole situation: You've got a completely perfect team in Flair and Carlito with no real good reason to feud with one another other than the sake of the writing team putting them together to split them up. Last night was, what, their 3rd match against Haas and Benjamin? Why not just do a feud between the two teams? You're already dedicating air time to their matches and it's not like Haas and Benjamin are getting anything out of it; they're just there for the sake of the angle. The tag title division can't just be centered around two teams. If Flair and Carlito were going to feud, why not do it from the beginning of this whole fiasco when Flair got all up in Carlito's grill about passion? I mean, am I crazy for thinking this?
You can't have more than 1 team going for the tag belts all the time though can you? Sure it was just filler from the point of Haas and Benjamin, but at least they are on TV and in people's minds, so when the time comes for there run with the gold it won't be a total shot out of the blue as they have been winning some matches.

Personally I don't really enjoy tag matches as they always follow the same format for the hot tag, having that twice on a PPV or TV show to me is overkill anyway.

M-A-G
05-01-2007, 04:46 AM
Well, no, they can't always be going for the titles but it seems a waste to just have two strong teams and then some afterthought.

Corkscrewed
05-01-2007, 05:38 AM
You can't have more than 1 team going for the tag belts all the time though can you?
They pulled it off in 1999-2001. Didn't it feel like the Hardy Boys, Edge and Christian, Dudley Boys, New Age Outlaws, and even Too Cool and Taienkai were all gunning for the title at any given time?

It's just laziness, both on the unenthusiastic writing and the forced formulaic tag match format that Dave explained.

Dave Youell
05-01-2007, 05:56 AM
They pulled it off in 1999-2001. Didn't it feel like the Hardy Boys, Edge and Christian, Dudley Boys, New Age Outlaws, and even Too Cool and Taienkai were all gunning for the title at any given time?

It's just laziness, both on the unenthusiastic writing and the forced formulaic tag match format that Dave explained.
Around that time they were going all out with the matches, if you remember before the terry invitational, the tag team scene was quite dull, The New Age Outlaws were pretty much running the show and there was the Acolytes as well, but that was about it.

They put E&C and the Hardy's in that best of 7 match finishing at No Mercy and they got themselves over with a fantastic match, that then followed onto the TLC match's and Tables matches (when the dudleys came in), what i've saying is that all of that was based on high impact gimmick matches, yes it got the guys over and everyone enjoyed it, but we all know what the current policy is on guys going over the top on spots now, don't do it.

Plus they had stuff for the teams to do instead of just tag matches.

Like the Hardy's and the New Age Outlaws had single's matches and went for titles.

Too Cool were attached with Kish so even if they didn't have a match on the show, they were still on TV.

Plus back then they also gave teams a chance to get heat and get themselves over instead of a shitty gimmick. Edge and Christians stuff was amazing when they turned heel, yet lots of it was mainly backstage skits that were well written and didn't require actual matches.

Since the attitude era the best tag team action was around the booking of Paul Heyman and the Smackdown 6 feuds of that year, some of those 3 ways were amazing, again it's down to the great quality of the matches along with the booking.

Right now the tag team situation isn't terrible, the worst time for me was when Flair and Batista were champs, only because there were no other teams at that time, at least we currently have a few teams that can always step up to the plate for fillers or storylines, look at the guys on raw currently:

Cryme Tyme
WGTT
Hardy's
Cade and Murdoch
The Highlanders

I mean that's 5 pretty decent and different teams there, with some creative booking it could be alright, they are making steps in the right direction though.

darkpower
05-01-2007, 07:05 AM
I would rather Carlito be a tweener than a full-fledged heel, because some of the fans are going to cheer him anyway unless he, like, beats Torrie up in the middle of the ring or something.

(Oh, I was going to say "unless he RAPES her in the ring", but thought that might be too over the top)

Theo Dious
05-01-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm pretty sure spitting in her face will be enough to do it.

Dave Youell
05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm pretty sure spitting in her face will be enough to do it.
Best give her a back cracker, just to be sure of course

M-A-G
05-01-2007, 04:45 PM
I would rather Carlito be a tweener than a full-fledged heel, because some of the fans are going to cheer him anyway unless he, like, beats Torrie up in the middle of the ring or something.

(Oh, I was going to say "unless he RAPES her in the ring", but thought that might be too over the top)

WCW didn't think so.

Dave Youell
05-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Then she gets pregnant!

Theo Dious
05-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Then she gets pregnant!

And then he wrestles some big guy and he nails them both and she loses the baby and...

</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>

Yeah, I'll shut up now.