PDA

View Full Version : How different would the wrestling world be if Hogan never slammed Andre?

Xero
05-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Got the idea for this thread from WWE.com's "What IF..." : http://www.wwe.com/inside/whatif/

So yeah, how different would the wrestling world be if Hogan never slammed Andre? Would another company have taken the helm? Would Hogan have been as over as he was after the slam? Would Starcade be the mecha of Sports Entertainment events?

Discuss.

The Naitch
05-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Vince McMahon would still have the XFL to fall back on

DAMN iNATOR
05-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Hogan would have never become the huge household name (and wrestling name, for that matter) that he is today, and thus would not come out of retirement 1476583292 times before finally getting it through his thick skull that he’s “getting too old for this shit...”:shifty:

St. Jimmy
05-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Harley Race did it first. Meh.

Impeccable
05-05-2007, 03:26 PM
We wouldn't have to have the same video shoved down our throats in february and march every year!

Anybody Thrilla
05-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Dunno, I think Hogan would have still been big without Andre. Not too much of a change.

Juan
05-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Vince McMahon would still have the WBF to fall back on

fixed

Mercury Bullet
05-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Dunno, I think Hogan would have still been big without Andre. Not too much of a change.

Yeh, probably the only difference would be the non-existence of the video footage. I don't think it would have changed his career any.

Jordan
05-05-2007, 04:09 PM
I doubt it would be any different honestly.

Zeeboe
05-06-2007, 09:22 AM
I think Hogan would still be as huge. Hogan's done a lot of other great things in his career.

Hogan would have never become the huge household name (and wrestling name, for that matter) that he is today, and thus would not come out of retirement 1476583292 times before finally getting it through his thick skull that he’s “getting too old for this shit...”:shifty:

Ric Flair is 58-years old and still wrestles.

And he did not have the same after-effect as Hulk Hogan did so that makes the Hulkster pretty damn special I think, which is why he is the icon that he is today.

Vastardikai
05-07-2007, 03:28 AM

Harley did it with Beer!

And he did not have the same after-effect as Hulk Hogan did so that makes the Hulkster pretty damn special I think, which is why he is the icon that he is today.

Harley was a huge name in the business well before that match, as a Multiple Time World Champion. Harley was one of those guys who had a reputation as a legitimate tough guy. Harley Race > Hogan.

The Slamming of Andre is a legend that took on a life of it's own. To Hogan's benefit, Harley slamming Andre was only seen by a few thousand people in Houston. Hogan's slamming Andre was seen by millions. I'm not gonna say it wasn't a big thing.

It's kind of like how many remember the day Lex slammed Yokozuna. Do any of those people remember the next person to slam him (which was his debut, IIRC.)

FourFifty
05-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Powered Toast Man?

Anybody Thrilla
05-07-2007, 03:20 PM
I think Ahmed Johnson was number 2 to slam Yokozuna.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I think it's the most overrated, over-valued and talked up moment in wrestling history.

Theo Dious
05-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I think Ahmed Johnson was number 2 to slam Yokozuna.

Nah it was Mr. Fuji. :shifty:

Theo Dious
05-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I think it's the most overrated, over-valued and talked up moment in wrestling history.

Seriously. Mark Henry lifting the "unliftable" dumbell is more impressive. I understand the whole business of it being a classic moment that happened in the right time and place and all that, and it was certainly a great moment, but come on. Cena FU-ing the Big Show was at least as impressive an act.

DAMN iNATOR
05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Seriously. Mark Henry lifting the "unliftable" dumbell is more impressive. I understand the whole business of it being a classic moment that happened in the right time and place and all that, and it was certainly a great moment, but come on. Cena FU-ing the Big Show was at least as impressive an act.

:y: