PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkins "Reunion"

Cactus Sid
05-10-2007, 04:57 PM
So the days are counting down towards both the new album "Zeitgeist" released (apparently) on the 7th of July, and the band's first performance since the "final Metro show" in Paris on the 20th of May.

So was just wondering what people are thinking about it, obviously no D'Arcy or James Iha involved, Melissa Auf Der Maur hasn't been involved and Corgan and Chamberlain basically wrote the whole album themselves.

The apparent touring muscians are Ginger Reyes from the Halo Friendlies, on Bass (Hot beyond words, I have no idea how good her playing is) and Jeff Schroeder of the Lassie Foundation on guitar (looks a bit geeky).

Read a few things on the net about them, apparently a bunch of people went up to the studio and they all sounded spot on, will have to see on that one. Also there was a load of pictures leaked onto the net of an apparent photo shoot, may have been for the first video, looks like the album is pretty politically charged if the pictures are anything to go by.

Some DJ said that the first single (Tarantula) sounds like "The Smashing Pumpkins doing Holiday by Green Day" :| I hope to god that is bullshit.

Basically discuss, are they shitting on the legacy, expectations for the album, anyone going to see them?

Kane Knight
05-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I'll wait to hear the album before I decide that.

I'm not exactly optimistic, but I won't pan them until my fears are either confirmed, or disproven.

ron the dial
05-11-2007, 12:10 AM
I am going into this with an open mind. A bit skeptical, but hoping for the best. Because why would I hope for mediocre?

Kane Knight
05-11-2007, 12:18 AM
I don't think anyone's HOPING for it to be mediocre.

Well, there are critics, and folks who hated the band, but even then, that's a pretty small number.

And then there's elitists, the kind who are like "I liked them before they were epic" anbd such.

And then there's the "sacred legacy" crowd.

Fuck, I changed my mind.

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 01:27 AM
lmao at the Simpson's version of James Iha

http://jamesiha.org/video/homerpalooza01.jpg

But seriously, I'm scared about how this may turn out but I do have hope. We'll see.

FakeLaser
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I am excited.

Arashi Kage
05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Man.......I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be an actual reunion. I was hoping that at least Iha would be back in the band. Oh well, I'll probably still go to the September festival show, but we'll have to see how the new album sounds.

weather vane
05-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I don't worry about all the other bullshit that surrounds it. I am just glad another Pumpkins album is coming out. I am sure some good will come from it either way.

Cactus Sid
05-22-2007, 05:00 AM
New single is released in the US today

As it stands, I absolutely love it, guitar work is excellent (Corgan always has been an underrated guitarist).

Don't know whether to say its a return to form, its certainly dropped the Machina sound, I was going to say you can't really put it in the Siamese Dream mold, but it does sound quite a bit like Geek USA meeting some of the stuff on the first half of Mellon Collie (Jellybelly, Zero, An Ode to No One).

So what does everyone think?

FakeLaser
05-22-2007, 12:57 PM
What's the name of the single?

ron the dial
05-22-2007, 01:06 PM
"Tarantula." It doesn't strike me as anything special, but it's not enough for me to write this new album off.

The album cover is absolute ass, though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fb/Zeitgeist_cover.png/200px-Zeitgeist_cover.png

I just don't like that at all.

Cactus Sid
07-01-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mkv3gs

I'm sure you can find it on Torrents and other places yadda yadda, Netphoria will have a million and one links.

Its been leaked, half way through listening to it, I was fairly optimistic given how much I liked a lot of the new stuff from the live gigs (Paris and London) I dunno if I like it, it seems like its gonna be a grower, but it'll take time me thinks.

Tarantula video is released tomorrow, from the screenies I've seen it looks like absolute pish.

FakeLaser
07-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Downloading it right now.

Cactus Sid
07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
My favourite song is probably Doomsday Clock, there are a few other decent songs on it, but in all, its pretty disappointing. I wasn't expecting Siamese Dream or MCIS, but it just doesn't have many positives. The album starts of pretty well, but it really does slope off badly after United States.

FakeLaser
07-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I listened to it through and nothing really stood out. I'm going to give it another closer listen before I decide.

Cactus Sid
07-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Actually, it is a bit of a grower

Still think it is weak in parts, but it does get better after a few listens

St. Jimmy
07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Anyone really listen to it besides me, it's really good. Doomsday Clock, Come On (Let's Go), Bring the Light, Tarantula, and Starz all really stand out.

Love the way the album starts, with that powerful distorted guitar.

ron the dial
07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
My favorite song off of the record is the iTunes exclusive track, Stellar. Other than that it was a pretty mediocre outing. Perhaps it will continue to grow on me as I hated it the first time around, and have grown to enjoy parts of it at this point.

St. Jimmy
07-18-2007, 01:06 PM
My favorite song off of the record is the iTunes exclusive track, Stellar. Other than that it was a pretty mediocre outing. Perhaps it will continue to grow on me as I hated it the first time around, and have grown to enjoy parts of it at this point.

You should upload the song for those of us who think iTunes is the worst thing to ever happen to music.

Cactus Sid
07-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Doomsday Clock, United States and Tarantula blow everything else out of the water, plus United States sounds incredible live