PDA

View Full Version : So it has come to my attention that underground rap is better than main stream rap.

Xero
05-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Please someone show me where I can find good underground rap and try to change my mind from "all rap is shit".

Blitz
05-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Artist (Songs you should download)

The Roots (The Seed 2.0, Sacrifice)

Sage Francis (Slow Down Gandhi, Agony In Her Body, Civil Disobedience)

Atmosphere (Trying To Find A Balance, National Disgrace, Hockey Hair, Nothing But Sunshine)

Sweatshop Union (The Human's Race, The Truth We Speak)

Swollen Members (Breath, Lady Venom, Watch This)

Gym Class Heroes (Papercuts, Make Out Club, Pillmatic, The Queen And I, Viva La White Girl)

Cunninlynguists (Falling Down)

FakeLaser
05-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Get these songs:

Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
A Tribe Called Quest - Lyrics To Go
A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation
A Tribe Called Quest - Keeping It Moving
A Tribe Called Quest - Find A Way
Atmosphere - Sound Is Vibration
The Pharcyde - Passing Me By
Mos Def - Respiration
Mos Def - Brooklyn
Talib Kweli - The Blast
Talib Kweli - Get By
Beatnuts - Duck Season
De La Soul - Oooh
The Roots - Seed 2.0
The Roots - Adrenaline!
Digable Planets - Black Ego
Dr. Octagon - 1977
Dr. Octagon - I'm Destructive
Dr. Octagon - 3000
Dead Prez - Psychology
DJ Shadow - Building Steam From A Grain of Salt (not really rap, but yeahhh)
Dr. Dooom - I Run Rap
Eric B and Rakim - Microphone Fiend
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Del's Nightmare
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Don't Forget The Bass
Hieroglyphics - Fantasy Island
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Can't Front On Me
KRS One - Step Into A World
Q-Tip - Vivrant Thing
Ultramagnetic MC's - Funk Radio

FakeLaser
05-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Best lyrics ever in a rap song:

They say it's lonely at the top in whatever you do,
you always gotta watch muthafuckers around you.
Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof,
we all must meet our moment of truth.

The same sheisty cats that you stayed with,
and do your thang with, can set you up and wet you up
nigga peep the language.
It's universal, play with fire it might hurt you, or burn you.
Lessons of lessons you should learn through
Let's face facts; although MCs lace tracks it doesn't mean behind the scenes there ain't no dirt to trace back. That goes for all of us, there ain't nobody to trust, it's like sabotage, it's got me ready to bust
But I can't jeopardize, what I have done up to this point
So I'm'a get more guys, to help me run the whole joint
Cultivate, multiply, motivate or else we'll die
You know I be the master of the who, what, where, and why
See when you're shining, some chumpss'll want to dull ya
Always selfish jealous punks, who want to pull ya,
down, just like some shellfish in a bucket cuz they love to see your ass squirm like a worm
But just as you'll receive what is coming to you, everybody else is gonna get theirs too
I ain't no saint, therefore i cannot dispute, that everyone must meet their moment of truth.

Actions have reactions don't be quick to judge,
you may not know the hardships people don't speak of.
It's best to step back, and observe with cooth,
for we all must meet our moment of truth.

Sometimes you gotta dig deep, when problems come near,
don't fear, things get severe for everybody everywhere.
Why do bad things happen, to good people, seems that life is just a constant war between good and evil
The situation that I'm facin, is made amazin, to think such problems can arise from minor confrontations
Now I'm contemplating in my bedroom pacing, dark clouds over my head, my heart's racin.
Suicide? nah. I'm not a foolish guy, don't even feel like drinking, or even getting high. Cuz all that's gonna do really, is accelerate, the anxieties that I wish I could alleviate
But wait, I been through a whole lot of other shit before, so I ought to be able, to withstand some more.
But I'm sweatin though, my eyes are turning red and yo,
I'm ready to lose my mind but instead I use my mind.
I put down the knife, and take the bullets out my nine
my only crime, was that I'm too damn kind
And now some scandalous muthafuckers want to take what's mine, but they can't take the respect that I've earned in my lifetime
And you know they never stop the furious force of my rhymes, so like they say, every dog has his day, and like they say, God works in a mysterious way, so I pray, rememberin the days of my youth, as I prepare to meet my moment of truth (echo)

(background from "Who's Gonna Take the Weight?" by Gang Starr)
You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free...

Yo, I got one lyric pointed at your head for starts, another one is pointed at your weak ass heart
Now if I pull the trigger, on these fully loaded lines you're gonna wish I woulda pulled a black nine, I mack dimes.
Crack the spines of the fake gangstas, yeah the bitin triflin niggas, and the studio prankstas
Yo lookin at the situation plainly, where you remain G, or will you be looked upon starangely?
I reign as the articulator, with the greater data, revolving on a tascam much stupid than my last jam
While others struggle to juggle, tricky metaphors, I explore more, to expose the core
A lot of MCs, act stupid to me, and we have yet to see, if they can match our longevity, but anyway it's just another day, another fake jack I slay with my spectac rap display.
Styles, smooth but rugged, you can't push or shove it, you dig it and you dug it cuz like money you love it.
The king of monotone, with my own drone, righteously violent prone my words bring winds like cyclones.
Stormin your hideout, blockin out your sunlight, your image and your business, were truly not done right.
Throw up your hee I live now, divine saviors,
you got no hand skills there ain't nobody that can save ya;
no pager, no cellie, no drop-top Benzie, I came to bring your phony hip hop, to an ending.
My art of war will leave you soft from the abuse, cuz you must meet your moment of truth.

They say it's lonely at the top in whatever you do, you always gotta watch muthafuckas around you
No one is untuchable, no man is bulletproof, we all must meet our moment of truth (echo)

Kane Knight
05-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Will smith.

Well, if nobody else is suggesting underground acts...

Kris P Lettus
05-12-2007, 07:51 PM
There is plenty of good rap..

Some is even known about..

Jurassic 5, Blackalicious, MF Doom, Lyrics Born, any Stones Throw shit, etc etc etc..

Londoner
05-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Best lyrics ever in a rap song:

They say it's lonely at the top in whatever you do,
you always gotta watch muthafuckers around you.
Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof,
we all must meet our moment of truth.

The same sheisty cats that you stayed with,
and do your thang with, can set you up and wet you up
nigga peep the language.
It's universal, play with fire it might hurt you, or burn you.
Lessons of lessons you should learn through
Let's face facts; although MCs lace tracks it doesn't mean behind the scenes there ain't no dirt to trace back. That goes for all of us, there ain't nobody to trust, it's like sabotage, it's got me ready to bust
But I can't jeopardize, what I have done up to this point
So I'm'a get more guys, to help me run the whole joint
Cultivate, multiply, motivate or else we'll die
You know I be the master of the who, what, where, and why
See when you're shining, some chumpss'll want to dull ya
Always selfish jealous punks, who want to pull ya,
down, just like some shellfish in a bucket cuz they love to see your ass squirm like a worm
But just as you'll receive what is coming to you, everybody else is gonna get theirs too
I ain't no saint, therefore i cannot dispute, that everyone must meet their moment of truth.

Actions have reactions don't be quick to judge,
you may not know the hardships people don't speak of.
It's best to step back, and observe with cooth,
for we all must meet our moment of truth.

Sometimes you gotta dig deep, when problems come near,
don't fear, things get severe for everybody everywhere.
Why do bad things happen, to good people, seems that life is just a constant war between good and evil
The situation that I'm facin, is made amazin, to think such problems can arise from minor confrontations
Now I'm contemplating in my bedroom pacing, dark clouds over my head, my heart's racin.
Suicide? nah. I'm not a foolish guy, don't even feel like drinking, or even getting high. Cuz all that's gonna do really, is accelerate, the anxieties that I wish I could alleviate
But wait, I been through a whole lot of other shit before, so I ought to be able, to withstand some more.
But I'm sweatin though, my eyes are turning red and yo,
I'm ready to lose my mind but instead I use my mind.
I put down the knife, and take the bullets out my nine
my only crime, was that I'm too damn kind
And now some scandalous muthafuckers want to take what's mine, but they can't take the respect that I've earned in my lifetime
And you know they never stop the furious force of my rhymes, so like they say, every dog has his day, and like they say, God works in a mysterious way, so I pray, rememberin the days of my youth, as I prepare to meet my moment of truth (echo)

(background from "Who's Gonna Take the Weight?" by Gang Starr)
You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free...

Yo, I got one lyric pointed at your head for starts, another one is pointed at your weak ass heart
Now if I pull the trigger, on these fully loaded lines you're gonna wish I woulda pulled a black nine, I mack dimes.
Crack the spines of the fake gangstas, yeah the bitin triflin niggas, and the studio prankstas
Yo lookin at the situation plainly, where you remain G, or will you be looked upon starangely?
I reign as the articulator, with the greater data, revolving on a tascam much stupid than my last jam
While others struggle to juggle, tricky metaphors, I explore more, to expose the core
A lot of MCs, act stupid to me, and we have yet to see, if they can match our longevity, but anyway it's just another day, another fake jack I slay with my spectac rap display.
Styles, smooth but rugged, you can't push or shove it, you dig it and you dug it cuz like money you love it.
The king of monotone, with my own drone, righteously violent prone my words bring winds like cyclones.
Stormin your hideout, blockin out your sunlight, your image and your business, were truly not done right.
Throw up your hee I live now, divine saviors,
you got no hand skills there ain't nobody that can save ya;
no pager, no cellie, no drop-top Benzie, I came to bring your phony hip hop, to an ending.
My art of war will leave you soft from the abuse, cuz you must meet your moment of truth.

They say it's lonely at the top in whatever you do, you always gotta watch muthafuckas around you
No one is untuchable, no man is bulletproof, we all must meet our moment of truth (echo)

Wow, thanks for that, that was just the kind of song i needed at this point, listened to it on youtube and thats my favourite rap song ever tbh.

FakeLaser
05-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Word, possibly my favorite too.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
There is a lot of "mainstream stuff" that isn't anywhere near crap too though; Jay-Z, Nas, Wu-Tang, Notorious BIG etc.

But yeah, a lot of the artists/groups posted in this thread are pretty legit...Travellin' Man by Mos Def is another great song (don't think its been listed yet)

Kane Knight
05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
There is plenty of good rap..

Some is even known about..

Jurassic 5, Blackalicious, MF Doom, Lyrics Born, any Stones Throw shit, etc etc etc..

I love J-5. I also like Nappy Rootz, though I suppose post Imus I can only call them "N-Word" Rootz.

Silent
05-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Khalito, you might have heard some of his songs on the Chappelle's Show, in the And1 skit.

http://www.garageband.com/artist/khalito

I think he's great and 'Spoiled' is one of my favorite songs.

Londoner
05-13-2007, 08:50 AM
There is a lot of "mainstream stuff" that isn't anywhere near crap too though; Jay-Z, Nas, Wu-Tang, Notorious BIG etc.

But yeah, a lot of the artists/groups posted in this thread are pretty legit...Travellin' Man by Mos Def is another great song (don't think its been listed yet)

I like the stuff you mentioned other than Jay Z, Nas used to be my favourite.

OssMan
05-13-2007, 01:26 PM
example of why Jay-Z is the bomb! he turns a public enemy song into crap

"SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT HOVY IN THE SPOT SHORTY TOLD YOU I WAS HOT!"
classic example of great rhymes right there.

FakeLaser
05-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah, forgot about J-5.

Jay-Z did the most genius cover ever though with "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight." Hilarious.

Kris P Lettus
05-13-2007, 04:10 PM
I have a Killa Cam track on my comp that is nothing but a clip of a rap song by a great MC, then a clip of Jay Z biting the same lyric.. It's like ten minutes long and includes everyone from Biggie to Snoop to Slick Rick..

Wish I knew how to host it for you guys..

Kane Knight
05-13-2007, 05:31 PM
I don't think he's been mentioned, but Tupac's the guy most people like veen if they hate rap.

Esoteric
05-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Atmosphere especially the Lucy Ford album
Brother Ali- The Undisputed Truth (hottest new cd of the year) and his other albums Shadows on the Sun and Champion
Sage Francis and his Non-Prophets stuff
Cage- Hells Winter
El-P - Ill sleep when your dead
Cool Calm Pete - Lost

All of those albums should change you mind as for individual songs
Non-Phixion - Rock Star and Cult Leader
Company Flow- Vital Nerve
Aesop Rock - Daylight, No Regrets, Easy
Brother Ali- Truth is here, Uncle Sam Goddamn, Forest Whitiker, Room with a View and Rain Water
Atmosphere- Between the Lines, Pour Me Another, Like Today, Modern Man's Hustle
Cage- Hells Winter, Shoot Frank, Agent Orange,
Sage Francis- Slown Down Ghandi, Lie Detector Test, Broken Wings and Makeshift Patriot
Mr. Lif- Live From the Plantation, Brothaz,
The Perceptionists- Memorial Day and 5'o Clock
Murs- Bad Man, Walk Like a Man, Yesterday Today
Blueprint- Dead Presidents, Big Girls Need Love Too,
POS- Kidney Thief, Music for Shoplifting, and POS is Trying to Ruin My Life
One Be Lo- enecS eht no kcaB
Soul Position- Share This, Hand Me Downs
RJD2 and Copywrite- June

ron the dial
05-15-2007, 11:40 PM
POS- Kidney Thief, Music for Shoplifting, and POS is Trying to Ruin My Life

I was just going to recommend POS. Definitely worth checking out. Very politically driven.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-16-2007, 01:32 AM
I have a Killa Cam track on my comp that is nothing but a clip of a rap song by a great MC, then a clip of Jay Z biting the same lyric.. It's like ten minutes long and includes everyone from Biggie to Snoop to Slick Rick..

Wish I knew how to host it for you guys..
Yeah Jay Z comes out and admits he uses other peoples lines, there is a line in one of his songs mentioning it.

I dunno I still like a lot of his shit, obviously I don't like all of it ("Big Pimpin" is just one example) but for the most part he puts out really good albums...especially Reasonable Doubt. I can still understand why people might not like him though.

Kris P Lettus
05-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I just find it funny he claims he's the second coming of BIG but he rips like every other MC around while saying shit like "I'm a writer not a bitter" etc..

FakeLaser
05-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Sage Francis - Water Line

Been obsessed with that track for like a week now.