View Full Version : NWA World Title Tourney Announced

KayfabeMan
05-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Charlotte, NC (May 21, 2007) – The National Wrestling Alliance®
is pleased to announce the following participants and locations &
the first round match ups for “Reclaiming the Glory: The NWA™
World Heavyweight Championship Tournament presented by Big
Vision Entertainment.” The tournament will take place at events
across North America and begins Saturday June 2, 2007 from (3)
locations.

Saturday June 2, 2007
Cornelia, GA – www.nwa-wildside.com
CHAD PARHAM Vs. “MR. MID-ATLANTIC” DAMIEN WAYNE

Thayer, MO – www.cswwrestling.com
AARON AGUILERA Vs. “SCRAP IRON” ADAM PEARCE

Salyersville, KY – www.nwabluegrass.com
“SHOOTER” BRENT ALBRIGHT Vs. OSAMU NISHIMURA

Saturday June 9, 2007
Phoenix, AZ - www.risingphoenixwrestling.com
FRED SAMPSON Vs. GLAMOUR BOY SHANE

Saturday June 16, 2007
Vancouver B.C., Canada – www.eccw.com
“THE BOMBER” NELSON CREED Vs. “THE AMERICAN DRAGON” BRYAN DANIELSON

Danvers, MA – www.necwwrestling.com
PEPPER PARKS Vs. CLAUDIO CASTIGNOLI

Saturday June 30, 2007
Lebanon, TN – www.nwatop-ropewrestling.com
ROUGHNECK RYAN Vs. SICODELICO, JR.

Quincy, MA
MIKEY NICHOLLS Vs. FERGAL DEVITT

The NWA™ Board of Directors selected the participants and Executive Director Robert K. Trobich will supervise the tournament. For more information about these events and the NWA™ please visit nwawrestling.com.

We all know Bryan Danielson will win this thing, but what does everyone make of this tournament? To me, it's a very varied field, from Jesus Aguilera [seems like he's making a living off of tournaments now], Nishimura, Pearce and HWA standout Pepper Parks [who was also in the Super 8 once]. Should be a little more interesting than fantastic, but still.

Stickman
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
NWA still exists?

James Steele
05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I know the finals will be Albright vs. Danielson

St. Jimmy
05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
The NEO ROH Title. Exciting. Not really. Call me when the NWA finds something worthwhile for their belt.

Dorkchop
05-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Well I've heard of three of those guys.

Ben Rodrigues
05-22-2007, 07:27 PM
American Dragon will win no doubt.

Rob
05-22-2007, 07:31 PM

£10 says he doesn't.

Ben Rodrigues
05-22-2007, 08:10 PM
£10 says he doesn't.

Is there any one else in the tournament even remotely on the level of Christian Cage?

IC Champion
05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
BORING

Skippord
05-22-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm picking "The Bomber" Nelson Creed

Blitz
05-22-2007, 08:52 PM
No way. Gonna say it right now: Fergal Devitt Vs. Pepper Parks final. Don't ask me the winner tho, it's just too close to call between those 2.

Skippord
05-22-2007, 09:12 PM
lol Fergal Devitt

terrible name

Skippord
05-22-2007, 09:13 PM
No way. Gonna say it right now: Fergal Devitt Vs. Pepper Parks final. Don't ask me the winner tho, it's just too close to call between those 2.
I'm going with Roughneck Ryan vs Chad Parham

Blitz
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
And of course there's the always dangerous Sicodelico, Jr.. He could be a darkhorse.

Mooияakeя™
05-22-2007, 09:18 PM
I just find NWA's style confusing. At least in TNA it had a base and a storyline etc. Now it just seems like multiple feds could have an NWA champion. bah. Too much ins and outs.

Skippord
05-22-2007, 09:34 PM
The beast known as Mikey Nicholls could pull it off

What Would Kevin Do?
05-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah, the final will either be Danielson Vs Albright, or Danielson Vs Castignoli.

Skippord
05-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah, the final will either be Danielson Vs Fergal Devitt, or Danielson Vs Castignoli.

KayfabeMan
05-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Well I've heard of three of those guys.

I'm familiar with:

AARON AGUILERA, “SCRAP IRON” ADAM PEARCE, “SHOOTER” BRENT ALBRIGHT, OSAMU NISHIMURA, GLAMOUR BOY SHANE, “THE AMERICAN DRAGON” BRYAN DANIELSON, PEPPER PARKS and CLAUDIO CASTIGNOLI.

Other than that, I do not know the rest of the field. I have heard some of the other names and read results of theirs, but do not know enough about them to comment / haven't seen their work.

Dave Youell
05-23-2007, 03:22 AM
I still don't understand why the NWA is trying to do this, by all accounts the title was in a shit state before TNA picked it up and it's going to go back to the gutter now that they have no TV for the belt to be seen on.

After WCW folded, without researching it, can anyone actually tell me some recent champs of that title? The only one i'm aware of it Steve Corino and that's only because he spoke about it on his shoot interview

dude extreme
05-23-2007, 03:26 AM
NWA lives...

Dave Youell
05-23-2007, 03:27 AM
NWA lives...
If by lives you mean is in a coma with little signs of life and Doctors are trying to convince the relatives that it's time to stop the machines.

Then yes, it 'lives'

Mr. Nerfect
05-23-2007, 03:32 AM
I'm fairly confident the finals will be either Brent Albright or Osamu Nishimura vs. Bryan Danielson. Nishimura is a former two-time IWGP World Tag Team Champion, and he's held the FC Tag Team Titles with Dory Funk, Jr. I actually think he may be in with a chance.

I like most of these guys, but it doesn't really scream "Best of the best" like an NWA Title tourney should. Aaron Aguilera and Fred Sampson, as talented as both men are, should not be in this tournament. Sampson has a lot of talent, but I recognise him from jobbing on Heat. Not a great "Top 16" guy for the NWA. Adam Pearce is even an iffy subject. Albright, Danielson, Nishimura, Castagnoli, Parks and Pearce are really the only guys I would keep in the tournament.

I guess I should commend the NWA for sticking to their own, and trying to re-build themselves, but they shattered for a reason. They should have used this opportunity to turn the NWA World Heavyweight Championship into the belt to hold on the independent scene. If they think their legacy will keep their Title from becoming a joke, I would just like to present the AWA World Heavyweight Championship. Personally, I still see the AWA Title as meaning something, but a lot of people don't.

A 16-man tournament could have been used to contain the following wrestlers:

* Brent Albright
* Bryan Danielson
* Chris Hero
* Claudio Castagnoli
* Delirious
* Doug Williams
* El Generico
* Joey Ryan
* KENTA
* Kevin Steen
* Matt Sydal
* Mike Quackenbush
* Naomichi Marufuji
* Nigel McGuinness
* Osamu Nishimura
* Roderick Strong

It gives some of their talent the shaft, sure, but this is the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Not some NWA Wisconsis Title, or something that can be contested for by the guys who show up at Heat to job to Eugene to get noticed.

Mr. JL
05-23-2007, 03:32 AM
I still don't understand why the NWA is trying to do this, by all accounts the title was in a shit state before TNA picked it up and it's going to go back to the gutter now that they have no TV for the belt to be seen on.

After WCW folded, without researching it, can anyone actually tell me some recent champs of that title? The only one i'm aware of it Steve Corino and that's only because he spoke about it on his shoot interview
I remember Dan Severn for sure. I think once TNA started they just stripped him of the title and gave it to Ken Shamrock, who won that 'Guantlet For the Gold Battle Royal' on TNA's first show. Very pretigeous!

Just strip the champion without a match and just call whoever wins some clusterfuck match, DA CHAMP!

Dave Youell
05-23-2007, 03:58 AM
Now IMO Dan Severn was a shite wrestler, thus NWA have proved my point for me, they are getting too big for there boots again

Chavo Classic
05-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Matt Sydal for NWA champ within 12 months. Just you wait.

Theo Dious
05-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't give a funky damn about this?

IC Champion
05-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't give a funky damn about this?
no

Arnold HamNegger
05-23-2007, 02:31 PM
No disrespect to the legacy of NWA...but I'd rather see two homeless hookers fight over a belt from Sears and Roebuck than this.

Theo Dious
05-23-2007, 02:39 PM
No disrespect to the legacy of NWA...but I'd rather see two homeless hookers fight over a belt from Sears and Roebuck than this.

You can't disrespect that which refuses to respect itself.

Arnold HamNegger
05-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Ok, I realize that TNA may not be the best thing since cocaine laced pussy, but come on! Is this really a step in the right direction compared to having your titles recognized and respected on a worldwide wrestling program? Sure, they only get a 1.0 rating...but this seems to me like taking the Vince Lombardi trophy from the NFL to the Pensacola Pee-Wee Leagues.

Theo Dious
05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't hear anything after "cocaine laced pussy."

Now I'm horny AND craving. :mad:

Arnold HamNegger
05-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't hear anything after "cocaine laced pussy."

It's called an "8 Balled."

:shifty:

Theo Dious
05-23-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't care what it's called, I want some 'dat shit.

Arnold HamNegger
05-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Frosting on the CupCake. :drool:

KayfabeMan
05-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Aguilera should be good in the tournament.

I'd keep him in, remove a few others, and call it a day.

KayfabeMan
05-23-2007, 07:05 PM
BTW, Alienoid had a pretty good line-up suggested.

Mr. Nerfect
05-24-2007, 04:24 PM
BTW, Alienoid had a pretty good line-up suggested.

Thanks, man. :y:

Mr. Nerfect
05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Ok, I realize that TNA may not be the best thing since cocaine laced pussy, but come on! Is this really a step in the right direction compared to having your titles recognized and respected on a worldwide wrestling program? Sure, they only get a 1.0 rating...but this seems to me like taking the Vince Lombardi trophy from the NFL to the Pensacola Pee-Wee Leagues.

To be perfectly honest, I do think NWA jumped the gun in removing the NWA World Heavyweight Title from TNA. They could have had Kurt Angle hold their belt if they kept it there, which restores some of its credibility. I mean, he is only the best wrestler in the world. No doubt Samoa Joe would have won it off Angle, which would have been another boost to the belt's current status. While this was going on, they could actually put together an intriguing tournament.

It must be said, though, this tournament will be automatically awesome if Aaron Aguilera cuts a promo. That man can talk. If he talks and Brent Albright, Bryan Danielson and Claudio Castagnoli wrestle, it could actually be pretty decent.