PDA

View Full Version : Sony sued over Blu Ray tech

Kane Knight
05-25-2007, 12:03 PM
http://news.com.com/Sony+sued+over+Blu-ray/2100-1047-6186622.html?part=dht&tag=nl.e703

Didn't know where to put this, since Blu Ray is being pushed as both a vid format and a game format.

They're being sued over a patent regarding silver alloys in discs. I wonder how intrinsic this really is.

Requiem
05-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Pretty ridiculous considering Sony had been working on their product since before Target was given the patent.

Kane Knight
05-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Not really. :|

Silent
05-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Heh, Sony can't seem to catch a break.

Kind of a shame the PS3 will get more negative media because of it.. They just pushed out a really great firmware update that upscales DVDs and PS1/PS2 games, makes them look pretty amazing.

Kane Knight
05-25-2007, 11:20 PM
You know, they got such positive PR despite massive flaws in the PS1, PS2, and PS3, were literally fellated on that last one, is it really a shame that they get negative press for using someone else's ideas?

And to clarify here, the patent, filed before or after the PS3/Blu Ray requires demonstration that you had developed it first. Seriously. Sony, in all probability, STOLE the damn process, and boo hoo, they're getting slammed.

Silent
05-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I guess I should rephrase my statement to "Why does Sony keep messing up?"

:p

Kane Knight
05-26-2007, 09:40 PM
" Why does Sony keep stealing ideas?" Is a better one. What's this, five patents infringed upon in three generations? :p

Pretty impressive, all things and whatnot.

It's just, the language of "can't catch a break" sounds like someone who has come to bad ends through no fault of their own. In past attempts to negotiate before going to court over these things, Sony's had a tendency to go "fuck you, we're Sony!"

None of the major video game system manufacturers are innocent of bad choices and decisions, though. Nintendo fucked themselves in the ass with the GameCube well before Sony became reputed for making systems that fall apart and stealing patents.

Microsoft was threatened with lawsuits over its warranty, and then again, and a third time. And that's just the warranty.

Sega'd still be in business, but they kept putting out platform after platform, failed to support them, and the GD ROM was both fragile and incredibly easy to pirate. Not to mention, the Dreamcast was the PS3 of its time. Comparably hard to program for, the most advanced system out, etc.

So it's not like any of them are saints. But Sony seems to like stepping on toes.

Penner
05-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Sony sucks.

They're so dumb.

Weren't they behind Betamax and MDs? How did those patents work out for them?

Penner
05-26-2007, 09:55 PM
ps i probably dont know wtf im talking about

Kane Knight
05-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Sony sucks.

They're so dumb.

Weren't they behind Betamax and MDs? How did those patents work out for them?

Beta, MDs, and most recently UMDs. All of which are failures. Beta so much a failure that in retrospect, case studies have lead to the term " Betamaxed" to refer to the annihilation of a product.

Sony tends to back losing horses, yeah.

Penner
05-27-2007, 11:02 AM
When the hell did you hit 100000 posts

Kane Knight
05-27-2007, 11:32 AM
2,015 posts ago. Which is about...Last Thursday.

Silent
05-27-2007, 05:07 PM
"Sega'd still be in business, but they kept putting out platform after platform, failed to support them, and the GD ROM was both fragile and incredibly easy to pirate. Not to mention, the Dreamcast was the PS3 of its time. Comparably hard to program for, the most advanced system out, etc.

Well said.

DAMN iNATOR
05-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Well said.

If Sega had waited probably 1˝-2 years before releasing the Dreamcastm they’d probably still be a competitor in the console sector of the Video Games industry and not just pushing out games for other consoles.

Also, regarding Nintendo, their other big mistake was fucking up the chance they had with the Super Nintendo that never came to fruition because they were greedy. Also, the Virtua Boy, the Game Boy with infrared technology and some sort of like binoculars or something, that you had to look through while playing the games, and I believe it was also set up on a tripod, no wonder the damn thing flopped. When this idea was brought up at whatever meeting Nintendo had, Miyamoto should have shot that one down immediately without a second thought.

#BROKEN Hasney
05-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Not to mention, the Dreamcast was the PS3 of its time. Comparably hard to program for, the most advanced system out, etc.

Not close on that one. Bar the original XBox it's one of the easiest consoles to code for. Theres even a massive indie game scene on it and game devs could even wimp out of using normal DC code and just use Windows CE for a codebase that they would have been used to

Were you thinking of the Saturn? That was apparantly the worst to code for of all time because after they seen Sony were doing a 3D console, instead of going back to the drawing board they just threw in another processor and a 3D graphics chip without even thinking what it would be like to code for.

Agreed on the other points of the DC though. I still can't believe that after only 2 months of launch you could download games and play them without even chipping it.

Kane Knight
05-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Not close on that one. Bar the original XBox it's one of the easiest consoles to code for. Theres even a massive indie game scene on it and game devs could even wimp out of using normal DC code and just use Windows CE for a codebase that they would have been used to

Were you thinking of the Saturn? That was apparantly the worst to code for of all time because after they seen Sony were doing a 3D console, instead of going back to the drawing board they just threw in another processor and a 3D graphics chip without even thinking what it would be like to code for.

Agreed on the other points of the DC though. I still can't believe that after only 2 months of launch you could download games and play them without even chipping it.

Was that the Saturn? I must have crossed them then. I would have sworn that the DC was the one that was such a bear. I'm probably wrong here, though.

If Sega had waited probably 1˝-2 years before releasing the Dreamcastm they’d probably still be a competitor in the console sector of the Video Games industry and not just pushing out games for other consoles.

Also, regarding Nintendo, their other big mistake was fucking up the chance they had with the Super Nintendo that never came to fruition because they were greedy. Also, the Virtua Boy, the Game Boy with infrared technology and some sort of like binoculars or something, that you had to look through while playing the games, and I believe it was also set up on a tripod, no wonder the damn thing flopped. When this idea was brought up at whatever meeting Nintendo had, Miyamoto should have shot that one down immediately without a second thought.

What chance did they fuck up because of greed? I'm hoping you're not referring to the add-on that would become the PS. Virtual Boy, however, was a sheer flop. But then, the Wii seems about as smart as VB. You have to take chances sometimes. Some will succeed, some will fail.