PDA

View Full Version : Another release...

Lock Jaw
05-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Although not confirmed by WWE on WWE.com, Darren "Droz" Drozdov has been released.

Drozdov competed for WWE from 1998 - 1999 teaming with The Road Warriors and Prince Albert aka A-Train over the course of his career, when an injury during a match with D'lo Brown ended his career and he became a quadriplegic. Drozdov remained a WWE ever since, appearing and the now-defunct "Byte This" program, giving PPV predictions, and appearing on a few WWE DVD productions.

Drozdov's release comes as a big shock to many, as he was guaranteed a "job for life" by Vince McMahon after his accident. Like with all of the other releases lately, Stephanie McMahon is the mastermind behind this one, as she felt that without "Byte This", WWE has little to no use for Drozdov and she feels like Droz has been given more than enough money over the course of 8 years that he should be set for life.

From 1999 - 2005, Drozdov was married to Melanie Vega, a seamstress for WWE. The couple divorced in 2005 and Droz currently has another girlfriend and Vega is in a relationship with WWE superstar Shannon Moore.

Wrestling observer newsletter

Xero
05-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Wow, Stephanie is an asshole.

Arnold HamNegger
05-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Without "Byte This", WWE has little to no use for Drozdov. I feel like Droz has been given more than enough money over the course of 8 years and that he should be sitting for life.

IC Champion
05-31-2007, 12:44 PM
I have no respect for McMahon as a person, and if he didnt somehow become so succussful I wouldnt have any.

Xero
05-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Stephanie fired him, not Vince.

IC Champion
05-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Vince has final say, and could have done what he wanted, truth is he was probably happy when it happened knowing that he didnt have to do it, and even if he didnt, he's the one who let Stephanie do as she likes.

MLW
05-31-2007, 01:15 PM
So...Shannon Moore has a girlfriend...

IC Champion
05-31-2007, 01:18 PM
And a hummer and a nice big house, he also jobs on Tuesday nights. What so good about him?

St. Jimmy
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
lol, even the crippled job to the Helmsly-McMahon Era.

MLW
05-31-2007, 01:25 PM
And a hummer and a nice big house, he also jobs on Tuesday nights. What so good about him?

Nothing...I just would have sworn that I read somewhere that he was gay...well it was propably just someone bitching...

Anybody Thrilla
05-31-2007, 01:25 PM
I might get flamed for this, but Stephanie kinda brings up a point. Drozdoz was dead weight. I'm sure he's a fantastic guy and whatnot, and it's really terrible what happened to him in the ring, but every single performer to ever lace up a pair of boots knows the danger of what they're doing. They know that there's a chance of being seriously injured. Apparently, that was a chance he was willing to take, and sadly, he lost the gamble. They gave him a job for a very long time after the injury (what's it been, like 8 years?), and Steph's right, if he invested wisely, he should be set for life. What's the point of paying somebody when you have no use for him? It's just bad business to keep him on board.

I do wish Darren Drozdov the best of luck in his future endeavors, though.

Theo Dious
05-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Steph's right, if he <s>invested wisely,</s> didn't completely squander every cent they gave him (and let's face it, what are you going to do to waste money in his position) he should be set for life.

Come on now, they paid this guy basically to do nothing for longer than he ever worked for the company. That's more than he would have gotten in the vast majority of places.

Shaggy
05-31-2007, 01:56 PM
That really sucks....

and makes me realize that I actually miss Byte This

Xero
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
If Owen had lived, would he, too have been released like this?

Seriously doubt it.

Theo Dious
05-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Meh "if." Different circumstances. Owen's image and name would have been worth something to the company. Droz is a total no-name to anyone who isn't more than a casual fan, and even then.

Anybody Thrilla
05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
If Owen had lived, would he, too have been released like this?

Seriously doubt it.

Maybe after 8 years of paying him to do jack squat, yeah.

BigDaddyCool
05-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Wow, part of me feels bad for Droz, even though I never liked him. And part of me feels like whatever. It is kinda cold hearted, but at the same time, how long do they really need to take care of D'Lo Brown's mistakes?

Kane Knight
05-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Dead weight? When he could be used to put over Khali and Vis?

Stephanie and all you agreeing with her are retarded. :roll:

Stickman
05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Companies let dead weight go. Why is this any different than any other company decision?

Anybody Thrilla
05-31-2007, 02:21 PM
It's not. People just like to paint the McMahons in an evil light. This is less than shocking. What's more shocking is that they didn't do it years ago.

Kane Knight
05-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Droz: You called to see me, Vince?

Vince: Darren, you've been a part of this company a long time. Unfortunately, times are tight and we have to let you go.

Droz: ....

Vince: But I'd like to keep you on as part of my personal staff. Tell me. Do you have any experience as a paperweight?

Kane Knight
05-31-2007, 02:23 PM
It's not. People just like to paint the McMahons in an evil light. This is less than shocking. What's more shocking is that they didn't do it years ago.

To be fair, it's usually more shocking whn the person fired is a cripple.

It may not make sense, but that's the way it is.

Anybody Thrilla
05-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Droz will be just fine.

Anybody Thrilla
05-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Not in terms of walking or anything, but you know.

Theo Dious
05-31-2007, 02:30 PM
To be fair, it's usually more shocking whn the person fired is a cripple.

It may not make sense, but that's the way it is.

Holy crip, he's a crapple?! :shifty::shifty:

Yeah, I thought that one called for two.

Kane Knight
05-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I know he will, but adversity pulls onour heartstrings (Collectively speaking).

Honestly, it's probably stronger in wrestling fans because the entire business sells itself on the hopes that the underdog beats the odds. Without that, Pro Wrestling might as well be Showtunes.

FourFifty
05-31-2007, 03:57 PM

Does that mean we'll see some HLA?

Kane Knight
05-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Assuming either of them is hot.

Xero
05-31-2007, 04:37 PM
What if they're not? UDA?

(Ugly Dyke Action)

Kane Knight
05-31-2007, 04:40 PM
Pretty much.

AdrianM
05-31-2007, 06:39 PM
I might get flamed for this, but Stephanie kinda brings up a point. Drozdoz was dead weight. I'm sure he's a fantastic guy and whatnot, and it's really terrible what happened to him in the ring, but every single performer to ever lace up a pair of boots knows the danger of what they're doing. They know that there's a chance of being seriously injured. Apparently, that was a chance he was willing to take, and sadly, he lost the gamble. They gave him a job for a very long time after the injury (what's it been, like 8 years?), and Steph's right, if he invested wisely, he should be set for life. What's the point of paying somebody when you have no use for him? It's just bad business to keep him on board.

I do wish Darren Drozdov the best of luck in his future endeavors, though.

well, i just object to the fact that hehas nothing to do.
Can't he go to school's, talk about the dangers of backyard wrestling. or he can go to hospitals and meet up with kids who have been hurt backyard wrestling.
In a multi-million dollar company, i'm sure they could have done this for both him and for the company

Mooияakeя™
05-31-2007, 06:48 PM
The company owes him fuck all. He knows the dangers. He trained to be a wrestler, that's what he wanted. So did D-Lo Brown. They got in the ring and it was technically a fan who fucked Droz up. Even still, Whether u blame D-Lo or the retard who threw the fuckin drink in the ring, it's not the WWE's fault. Period.

Stickman
05-31-2007, 06:49 PM
A fan? Looked to me like D-Lo fucked up pretty bad.

Anybody Thrilla
05-31-2007, 06:54 PM
well, i just object to the fact that hehas nothing to do.
Can't he go to school's, talk about the dangers of backyard wrestling. or he can go to hospitals and meet up with kids who have been hurt backyard wrestling.
In a multi-million dollar company, i'm sure they could have done this for both him and for the company

He can do that on his own spare time, not company time. The WWE already has that covered with those little "No matter who you are, no matter what you do, please, don't try this at homoe" videos that they run before all of their DVDs. It'd be a waste of time from a business standpoint. That's what people have to realize. Beneath it all, the WWE is a business.

Anybody Thrilla
05-31-2007, 06:55 PM
A fan? Looked to me like D-Lo fucked up pretty bad.

I heard somebody threw a drink in the ring and D'Lo slipped on it, maybe?

Stickman
05-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Got a video of it.....and Owen :shifty:

St. Jimmy
05-31-2007, 07:14 PM
From ABOUT.com:

D-Lo Brown vs. Droz

The results of a wrestling match may be predetermined but the wrestlers put their well being on the line every time they step in the ring. During a 1999 SmackDown TV taping, D-Lo fought Droz in what was supposed to be an ordinary match. D-Lo slipped on a wet spot on the mat while giving Droz a running power bomb. Droz fractured two discs in his neck. The accident left the former Denver Bronco paralyzed from the neck down. He still works for the WWE.

Anybody Thrilla
05-31-2007, 07:19 PM
From ABOUT.com:

D-Lo Brown vs. Droz

The results of a wrestling match may be predetermined but the wrestlers put their well being on the line every time they step in the ring. During a 1999 SmackDown TV taping, D-Lo fought Droz in what was supposed to be an ordinary match. D-Lo slipped on a wet spot on the mat while giving Droz a running power bomb. Droz fractured two discs in his neck. The accident left the former Denver Bronco paralyzed from the neck down. <s>He still works for the WWE.</s>

Fixed

St. Jimmy
05-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Fixed

SPOILERS, DAMMIT! :foc:

Anybody Thrilla
05-31-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm sorry, I'm a real jerk for that.

KayfabeMan
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
That's low.

Better Than You
05-31-2007, 08:18 PM
It was EXTRAMLY nice for them to keep him employed for all those years. I can't think of a single place that would have done the same.

Dorkchop
05-31-2007, 08:20 PM
How long until TNA calls him up?

I feel bad for him, but if he wasn't really doing anything, his release is justifyable.

Theo Dious
05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
How long until TNA calls him up?

TNA's going to push him PROPERLY.
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
God, I can't even bring myself to say it. Some asshole say it.

The One
05-31-2007, 09:25 PM
TNA's going to push him PROPERLY.
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
God, I can't even bring myself to say it. Some asshole say it.

TNA used a one legged guy, drug addicts, and even found a place for a retard such as Don West...I'm sure they can find use for a cripple.

Oh and anyone who gets on WWE's case for this release needs to get real. It wasn't their fault, it wasn't D'Lo's fault, it was a freak accident and by all accounts McMahon did a stand up thing for finding a place for him despite being next to useless and certainly not earning WWE a dime in the process. Now that Byte This is over he has crossed the line to COMPLETELY useless, and it was time for a release. Let's not get all huffy puffy here people.

Theo Dious
06-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Also, the next time London and Kendrick hit the ring, remember it COULD HAVE BEEN THEM.

owenbrown
06-01-2007, 11:38 AM
lol, even the crippled job to the Helmsly-McMahon <s>Era</s>Fagime.

Fixed.