PDA

View Full Version : Pro wrestling and *storylines.

YOUR Hero
06-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Pro wrestling and storylines. <HR style="COLOR: #006600" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Are you of the opinion that wrestling needs to have storylines? Or are you of the opinion wrestling would be better suited to more realistic matches still with storylines, just toned down? More like real life stuff. Contenders,etc.

I'm sure this question has been posed before, but bear with me, I'd like to hear some opinions but I continue with my thoughts.
<!-- / message -->

The One
06-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Didn't you just post this in the Christian/TNA Title thread?

Also, I don't care what the match or angles are formatted after as long as they are executed well.

CSL
06-03-2007, 09:05 PM
<font color=white>Storylines definitely.</font>

YOUR Hero
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Also, I don't care what the match or angles are formatted after as long as they are executed well.

I deleted it as I meant to start a topic, not respond to that thread.

Executed well?

Define that...
Realistic?

IC Champion
06-03-2007, 10:59 PM

Kane Knight
06-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Executed well. Both strorylines and straight figths can bring you to a dramatic finish. Just look at MMA. The in-ring drama and competitive backgrounds can carry a match to an orgasmic little peak. But maybe he means something different.

Mr. Nerfect
06-04-2007, 12:51 AM
I think more realistic storylines would be great. Storylines about Championships and professional rivalries > necrophilia. I think Hero is referring to storylines that are based around the entertainment side of things, rather than the sports side.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-04-2007, 02:03 AM
I'm fine with some storylines, as long as they aren't over the top.

ROH has a lot of competition based rivalry storylines, which work great. They also did the whole Jimmy loves Lacey storyline, which IMO was really done well.

Most WWE storylines are annoying though.

darkpower
06-04-2007, 07:07 AM
I like some of the storylines, as long as they don't overshadow the actual match or the abilities of those involved.

You need storylines in wrestling because you need something that makes people believe that there is some sort of point to why two guys are facing each other. You can't always have two guys fighting each other "just because". It's to hold everything together.

Mr Regal
06-04-2007, 07:28 AM
The only story lines that wash with me are the ones based on professional rivalry. Anything else is far too ridiculous to be interested in. And to be honest if the match is good i couldn't give a flying fuck about any "story". If the match is good enough it can tell it's own "story".

That's what i think anyway, but i'm not Vince McMahon so who cares :(

Outsider
06-04-2007, 07:55 AM
I'd just be grateful if the WWE put on an angle where it look like someone actually tried to make it good.

Just one.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Kane slightly touched on what I'm thinking here.
I look at MMA and how it's exploded and become bigger in it's buy rates than most everything. MMA doesn't have storylines. Sure we know there is history between certain fighters and also the tension and animosity that builds up before a fight. What if, BIG IF here. Wrestling went the same route.
Matches would still have their pre determined conclusions, there would still be in ring antics from time to time (cheating behind the ref's back) but come across as being more real. Not only that, but have more wrestlers featured. Not the same wrestlers week in and week out. Give the viewer a chance to not see a Cena or HHH or anyone else for that matter in ring (and barely on the mic) week after week. I believe this would make the heart grow fonder for particular wrestlers and not have us flooded with the same persons.

YOUR Hero
06-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I like some of the storylines, as long as they don't overshadow the actual match or the abilities of those involved.

You need storylines in wrestling because you need something that makes people believe that there is some sort of point to why two guys are facing each other. You can't always have two guys fighting each other "just because". It's to hold everything together.

They fight to win the title, to hold the title, the odd grudge match, to advance in their seeding.

Kane Knight
06-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Kane slightly touched on what I'm thinking here.
I look at MMA and how it's exploded and become bigger in it's buy rates than most everything. MMA doesn't have storylines. Sure we know there is history between certain fighters and also the tension and animosity that builds up before a fight. What if, BIG IF here. Wrestling went the same route.
Matches would still have their pre determined conclusions, there would still be in ring antics from time to time (cheating behind the ref's back) but come across as being more real. Not only that, but have more wrestlers featured. Not the same wrestlers week in and week out. Give the viewer a chance to not see a Cena or HHH or anyone else for that matter in ring (and barely on the mic) week after week. I believe this would make the heart grow fonder for particular wrestlers and not have us flooded with the same persons.

Keep in mind they tried to cash in on MMA once before, too. It hadn't quite reached the levels people think of now, but it was rapidly becoming a big deal, and they knew it. And we got Shamrock, Abbott, Blackman, etc. (Yeah, Blackman wasn't MMA per se, but still). We got people who wereshoot fighters, and matches that looked more like shootfights. We had Ross bringing up "tapping out" to hype Shamrock, and even MMA in general.

Of course, they mixed storylines in, like Ryan Shamrock and Venis.

Kane Knight
06-04-2007, 10:19 PM
They fight to win the title, to hold the title, the odd grudge match, to advance in their seeding.

Yeah, I mean, just look at UFC. They don't need storylines to make things emotional.

The One
06-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I think wrestling is at it's best when there is a struggle for the top spot. Look at the angles at wrestling's peaks...

NWA in the 80's: About Flair and the Horsemen doing whatever it took to keep their top spots.
WWE in the late 80's: About Hogan fighting all odds to keep his place on top.
WCW in the mid 90's: nWo not only taking top spot, but trying to completely take over everything.
WWE in the late 90's: McMahon trying to keep Austin from the top spot.

Since then, it's been all kind of blah. We have our Main Event players, and occasionally a little shuffle from the Upper Midcard to Main Event and vise versa, but really things stay too static. There isn't any chance. I mean look at SmackDown for christ sake...Batista loses to Undertaker, remains on top. Can't beat Undertaker, remains on top. Loses to Edge, remains on top. In no other world would we accept a man who hasn't won a big match out of the past 5 or 6 he's had as a top tier guy. What makes things interesting is if there is the top spot, and you never know who or what they are going to do to keep it or try and get it. That's why wrestling sucks lately, no matter what happens the week before, the top dogs keep on being looked at as the top dogs no matter what.

Also I think there is a problem with the Main Event scene being too flooded. Wrestling is at it's best when there are 2 or 3 long haul top guys and the rest of the ME's are filled with Upper Midcard guys busting their ass to get there. So like I said, I don't care if Undertaker "kills" someone, or there is some serious mellow drama, or if it's down and gritty "this could be real life" stuff so long as it's executed well.

Kane Knight
06-04-2007, 10:41 PM
And Hell, remember when there was actually a #1 contender? A lot of great sotrylines revolved around who it was.

(BAsically agreeing with ya, ToVo)

The One
06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
And this week, we've decided that anyone with the name "Batista" will be #1 Contender. Do we have anyone by the name of Batista around here?

IC Champion
06-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Im gonna have to go with The One.

YOUR Hero
06-05-2007, 09:44 AM
The One gets my point. Pro wrestling needs to get it's ass in this thread.

Kane Knight
06-05-2007, 10:00 AM
And this week, we've decided that anyone with the name "Batista" will be #1 Contender. Do we have anyone by the name of Batista around here?

See? Great storylines.:rofl:

Mooияakeя™
06-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Well it's "Sports Entertainment". Technically, without storylines it'd be like some random indy show. Like the one The über Hulskta put on.

Kane Knight
06-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Change your avatar. People log on here from work and school. And that shit's disturbing.