PDA

View Full Version : Jose Canseco to attempt comeback

Mikey
02-24-2004, 09:11 PM
VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Jose Canseco plans to try out for the Los Angeles Dodgers, 2½ years after his last appearance in the major leagues.

The six-time All-Star will attend the Dodgers' open tryout on March 1.

"Canseco's people called us," Matt Slater, the Dodgers' director of professional scouting, said Tuesday. "He's welcome to come."

Canseco last played in the majors in 2001, when he hit .258 with 16 homers for the Chicago White Sox.

He and Mark McGwire teamed in Oakland as the "Bash Brothers," leading the team to three straight World Series appearances from 1988-90, including the 1989 title. Canseco won the 1988 AL MVP award and has 462 homers, 26th on the career list.

Canseco admitted in 2002 that he used steroids during his career. He served jail time for violating terms of his probation for a 2001 fight at a Miami Beach, Fla., nightclub. His rap sheet includes domestic violence and aggravated battery charges.

YOUR Hero
02-24-2004, 09:21 PM
He should tryout for an American League team. In the National League you could only use him off the bench. His defense is awful and I doubt that has changed. I wouldn't be surprised if he could make a team. Last I seen him play, he still had good bat speed. He was blacked listed somewhat by MLB teams, although he's a victim of his own making.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Yea I don't see how he could play the field at all

LOL remember that time he pitched an inning? Funny shit

YOUR Hero
02-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Or when he took a flyball off the head and it went over the wall and therefore counted as a homerun.

BCWWF
02-24-2004, 10:36 PM
Remember when he hit a home run and it hit a kid in the face?

Anyway, in his prime he was one of the best natural hitters out there, I don't know why he wouldn't try out with like Tampa Bay or something though.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-24-2004, 10:42 PM
remember when he dominated the 1990 World Series?

noooooooo that was Jose Rijo cause the Reds ****ed him and the A's up

:cool:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-24-2004, 11:37 PM
Or when he took a flyball off the head and it went over the wall and therefore counted as a homerun.
LOL

Sensei Of Mattitude
02-24-2004, 11:47 PM
He should try out for:

American League:
Detroit
Cleveland
Texas
Tampa Bay

National League:
Pittsburgh
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Montreal
Colorado

My choices for him would be Detriot/Montreal/Colorado

Detroit will do nothing and he can add to the nothingness.

He could add to the attendance for the Expos as a novelity act. A gimmick player.

Colorado who he should try out for because of the atmosphere and homeruns. Because homeruns is the only reason he is coming back.

Will he sign with anyone? Hell no. No one will take his ass.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-24-2004, 11:52 PM
It'd be interesting to see if he would accept a minor league contract like McGriff did

samichna
02-25-2004, 12:05 AM
LOL

CNM
02-25-2004, 12:18 AM
Colorado? Umm no. He can't play the outfield at Coors Field. Period.

KleptoKlown
02-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Don't think it'll happen...and like Hero said, he should try out for an american leauge team. No team would even put him on a AAA roster as a fielder.

Shawn
02-25-2004, 01:51 PM
So he admits to using steroids during his career.Tarnishes MvP awards and possibly what was a run to the Series by oakland. 40-40 records. They all Mean nothing now. Then baseball says,"sure come on back and tryout". What ? No punishment? Hope baseball isnt bitching when Bonds or Giambi get caught. Man Manute Bol can feild a better baseball then this guy.

Gertner
02-25-2004, 03:13 PM
He was never a hall of famer, and coming back won't change.

KleptoKlown
02-25-2004, 03:17 PM
his days with the A's he was a hall of fame type player.

YOUR Hero
02-25-2004, 09:57 PM
So he admits to using steroids during his career.Tarnishes MvP awards and possibly what was a run to the Series by oakland. 40-40 records. They all Mean nothing now. Then baseball says,"sure come on back and tryout". What ? No punishment? Hope baseball isnt bitching when Bonds or Giambi get caught. Man Manute Bol can feild a better baseball then this guy.

Like I said, he was all but blacklisted from baseball. He was doing pretty good as a DH in toronto and Tampa and the like and yet no one after that would sign him. even though at the time he was still a useful player.

The Outlaw
02-26-2004, 11:03 AM
He was never a hall of famer, and coming back won't change.

:|

loopydate
02-26-2004, 06:11 PM
remember when he dominated the 1990 World Series?

noooooooo that was Jose Rijo cause the Reds ****ed him and the A's up

:cool:

Hell yeah.

Sorry, didn't have anything to contribute, but...

Hell yeah.

Oh, and Chris Sabo = The Man.