PDA

View Full Version : How Have Your Musical Interests Changed Over Your Life?

Just John
06-12-2007, 02:17 PM
If they have I mean.

When I was anything from 3-9 I just went with whatever my parents played, which was Led Zepplin from my dad and I'm not sure what from my mum. I wasn't exactly a fan, but I just went with it like most kids would. When I was 9-10 I started paying attention to pop music, and alot of it was serious crap, Eiffel 65, Boyzone, B'witched, Shaggy, Phats And Small, Toploader etc. if it wasn't crap it was pretty generic radio stuff.

That was around 2001, about the same time I was allowed to watch Wrestlemania X7, which was amazing because it was my first Wrestlemania I saw. The theme they used that year was Limp Bizkit's My Way, thats was when 'skater' music (or thats what it was known as around my area) propelled into the mainstream, and me and my sister were into bands like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Feeder, Alien Ant Farm, OPM and stuff. Typical kinda Kerrang stuff at the time.

2001 blew over and as I was going into high school in 2002 I played Vice City and would listen to V-Rock non stop, I was 11 and intent on growing my hair long because I listened to bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer and stuff. It was all about the 80s metal.

As there always is, I found other kids in school who liked old metal too, but they were also into newer metal, thanks to that and WWE, I went onto bands like Drowning Pool. I spent a few years of metal, long hair and denim jackets and loved it. I met loads of like minded people, and adults who were suprised about a kid who liked that stuff.

After that, I got back into wrestling (I had been neglecting it for a while) and saw how Jeff Hardy had changed so much. It was from there I wanted to be oh-so 'Alternative (I joined tpww around this time too). I cut my hair and dyed it horrendous colours and wore the brightest, gayest things a kid can wear. I remember finding out that Jeff Hardys favorite band was Pearl Jam, and since I was idolising him, I thought I'd download some of their stuff. First thing I downloaded was Jeremy (Coincidently their most mainstream song). That changed everything, I was officially mad about Pearl Jam and Our Lady Peace (They did the music to Jeffs desire video, yes I was awful :$ ).

I'd always realised that I wasn't really being 'alternative', just the reverse side of the coin. But I'd push it aside from my mind, various things kept driving back the thoughts (Our Lady Peace's song 4am "...Being too much like somebody else") I remember hearing Pearl Jams song Corduroy, and I kept hearing the line "I'll end up alone a copy cat". It got to the point where I couldn't listen to it because the truth hurt basically. I was made so insecure by this, that I dropped the whole thing. It was at the same time I heard the lyrics differently (It was actually "I'll end up alone like I began"). Which still seems weird now.

As I got out of this mindset, I discovered a new genre of music from San Andreas: Southern Rock. I was so into CCR and Lynyrd Skynyrd, I drifted into a southern thing (Thats where the Redneck gimmick stemmed from). This worked up all until the end of last year. Where I had explosion of Genres, I took on Gangsta Rap, 90s Music in general, electronic music and loads of subgenres of the same. Since then my tastes have developed and developed and I've gone all over the music map. I also got into New Age, but I honestly have no idea where that came from.

Now that I'm in a point of realisation of my music, I see what I have covered, and whats left to be covered. I have also built up an immense playlist and sometimes its great to just think, 'Yeah I'm feeling like some metal' or whatever and just play it. I even find new bands of old genres and pick up the old metal time for a few days. Over the time of my music interests, I've played drums for two years and dropped it. Played guitar for a year, and realised I'm awful. Its sort of ironic after trying to be all unique and eventually given up, In time I've become my own person really. Which is what Jeff Hardy was saying to do all the time. Shame that I think he's a bit of a tool now :-\

So how has music shaped your life? How have you grown up with it? Whats changed?

Kris P Lettus
06-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I was also into what my parents listened to at a young age.. Everything from Santana to the Beatles to Hendrix to Cash.. In the mid to late eightis I liked popular shit.. Alot of hair metal (Poison, Motley Crue, Warrent), popular rap (Fresh Prince, LL, Fat Boys), and even shit like Michael Jackson.. By the time I got to middle school I like more into heavy shit like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Helmet but I still love Hip Hop.. Shit like Snoop, Dre, Das Efx, Arrested Development, etc.. I loved the old rap/rock crossover stuff like Public Enemy/Anthrax etc.. Around this time, I found out about the group that changed me from a casuel rap fan into a Hip Hop fiend.. Wu Tang Clan.. I first heard Gravediggaz "6 Feet Deep" and fell in love with RZA.. I soon learned about Wu Tang and it was over.. 93-94 were the best years for Hip Hop.. 36 Chambers, Illmatic, Southernplayalistic, Ready to Die, and the list goes on.. Around that time I changed from a hard rock fan who casuelly listened to rap, to a Hip Hop fiend who casuelly listens to rock..

I still love all types of music though..

ct2k
06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
At a young age it was again what my parents listened to, mostly motown and that kinda shit. Was madly into Oasis, Blur, Pulp and the whole brit pop thing in the mid 90s as well as Pearl Jam and Nirvana, then I got big into RnB and hip hop, then rock and metal properly etc. I've always listened to soul, rnb and general rock the most.

ron the dial
06-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Started out with country music because that's what everyone in my family listened to. Mostly listened to that on the radio. The first two CDs that I ever owned were Vanilla Ice - To the Extreme and MC Hammer - Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em. Grew out of that shit (although that VI CD is pretty hilarious to this day), and got into alternative music. Nirvana, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, etc. Then I hit the retarded phase of music in my life where I was into KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Master P, and other shitty stuff. Then I got into the whole pop-punk thing with Blink 182 and MxPx, which led me to listen to punk bands such as Bad Religion, Black Flag, Anti-Flag, Sex Pistols, etc. It was also around this time that I got into ICP and Twiztid. After that I settled into what I mainly listen to now: The Smiths, Brand New, Radiohead, Ben Folds, blah blah blah. I pretty much listen to everything, though, as I've picked up a fair share of metal and hip-hop acts along the way.

That's a rather concise way of summing it up, but I think that you get the gist of what I'm going for.

Kris P Lettus
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Master P was the shit back in the day..

ron the dial
06-12-2007, 03:31 PM
UUGGGGGGHHHHHH NA NA NA NA

El Vaquero de Infierno
06-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I didn't really get into listening to music until I was around 8-9 years old, and then I started to listen to some of the music that my sister was listening too, like: Pantera, Nirvana, Hole, NIN, Oasis, Blur.

By the time I was 11-12, I ditched indie rock, and went full on hard rock/metal, and bits of grunge and alt rock. From the age of 16 to 20, I was a Maynard whore, and still love tool and APC now.

That was pretty much it until I was 17, then i discovered the sweet voice of Alison Krauss, and from then on I started to explore bluegrass/newgrass and alt. country music, like nickel creek, uncle tupelo, whiskeytown, whilst still listening to metal. I also started to listen too southern rock music. Also around 17-18, i started to check out more kind of goth-oriented stuff, but not actually turning into a goth, listening to Rasputina, sisters of mercy, and checking out darkwave music like switchblade symphony and collide.

In the last three years my interest in metal has diminished, well, in modern stuff anyways, which is bloody shite. My interest in alt country has grown, and I have started to check out folk music, like kate Rusby and Julie Fowlis. I have also begun to listen too singer/songwriter stuff as well, such as Regina Spektor (my wife-to-be), Fiona Apple, Ryan Adams, and Jenny Owen Youngs.

In the past year I have started to get into classical music as well, especially Bach. Somethings have also begun to return, like the urge to listen to hard rock and metal, and more indie-oriented stuff like Rilo Kiley and Sigur Ros. In fact at the very moment I am going through a whole Rilo Kiley/Jenny Lewis obsession. They are my artist/band of the year, methinks, just like Regina was last year, and Nickle Creek back in 2005.

Who knows where I'll go next. More folky? Back to the heavy? Hopefully not indie, as the majority of that is shite. All i know is that my musical pallete(sp?) is a lot richer than it was 6 years ago when I was 16.

ron the dial
06-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Jenny Lewis :heart:

FakeLaser
06-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Listened to classic rock growing up, then got into alternative, then got into a lot of rap/hip hop, then the whole punk emo scene when I was a teen, then I got into a lot of indie and experimental, underground hip hop, classic rock. I listen to a lot of shit now.

Zelda
06-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Listened to classic rock growing up, then got into alternative, then got into a lot of rap/hip hop, then the whole punk emo scene when I was a teen, then I got into a lot of indie and experimental, underground hip hop, classic rock. I listen to a lot of shit now.

My interests changed in a surprisingly similar way. :eek:

Kane Knight
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Grew up on the 50s and 60s. By 6, I was already into Queen, though. Spent the 90s amassing a CD collection so so large it wasn't even funny. Got exposed to a bunch of bands like Manson, NIN, and Tool.

I listen to just about anything of quality. You can probably find at least one or two artists in any genre I'll listen to.

Blitz
06-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Boy bands---->Rock/pop---->Metal---->Emo/Punk---->Rap---->pretty much all of the above and more.

road doggy dogg
06-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Ummmmm... I went from listening to blink-182 exclusively to listening to blink-182 with a dash of The Living End. Tom Delonge + Chris Cheney + me = sexchilada

HeartBreakMan2k
06-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Ummmmm... I went from listening to blink-182 exclusively to listening to blink-182 with a dash of The Living End. Tom Delonge + Chris Cheney + me = sexchilada

You missed your Boxcar Racer kick.

road doggy dogg
06-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Pretty much the same thing as Blink so it doesn't really count.

Shaggy
06-14-2007, 11:37 AM
My parents and family would all listen to country....so growing up I was into country music.

Then when I reached middle school I started hanging out more with my Aunt and my Cousins who would listen to some oldies rock and alternative music....when I then started to like.

My final year in middle school I started hanging out with this friend of mine in P.E who listened to metal....for the past 10+ years ive been hooked on Metal music.

Kane Knight
06-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Both my parents like country, and with a few exceptions (The Swinging Steaks, the Drunk Stuntmen), I've always hated it. I like Roots Rock/Folk Rock/Country Rock, but only in small doses. And the fact that the Drive (The band that because the SSteaks) were hugely influenced by Queen doesn't hurt.

Kane Knight
06-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh, and I'm mostly about folk and hard rock. go figure.

Mr Regal
06-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Well growing up it was all The Beatles, Abba, shit like that. When I started listening to my own thing I think I was into all that late eighties early nineties dance shit. I'm sure vanilla ice was in there, and pretty much any old shit thats was popular. Pretty fuck lame so far!

Then I got into all the rave shit and Prodigy and the like. After that it was a bit of blur and oasis that period was very brief though.

When I was in the latter half of secondary school i started to listen to Hip Hop. And that was it pretty much. A Tribe Called Quest, The Pharcyde, The Yag Foo Front, Wu Tang Clan, Show & AG, The Roots, The Bush Babies, Beastie Boys, Dr Octagon. Many more which i cannot recall (it was so long agos).

Also started listening to Jamiroquai, was loving all the laid back funky acid jazz stuff. Then came Nirvana and that kind of thing.

Since then I have been mixing it up. Went through a phase of brit bands only, Super Grass, Embrace, Cold Play, Sterophonics, Radiohead.

Again mixed it up and was listening to anything i could enjoy.

Then I went back to college and somehow got into metal. I think System of a Down are to blame really. Fucking loved Chop Suey man:) Anyway since then Rock and metal have been the big chunk of my daily music intake. I have developed a really varied taste in music. I feel like i can hear quality in many different genres, and i appreciate it.

Good musicians get my repect. Amazing lyricalists get my respect. Musicians who can set moods and convey feeling through music, that's what it's all about. And if you listen properly there is a massive amount out there in most genres. I love music.

Listen to some classic Frank Sinatra right now:)

Triple A
06-15-2007, 05:06 AM
I dunno when I was little I would just listen to whatever was on MTV and the radio. Then started to get real into rap when I was like 12-16. Then like punk/emo, then indie rock shit, then psychedelic music and classic rock, and doo wop songs and oldies and shit like that.

Jordan
06-16-2007, 09:22 PM
I went through phases, rap, metal, death, now I just like good music. I don't really get into anything hardcore, just make good music I will listen.

KingofOldSchool
06-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I started out not really liking music much.

Then early on in high school I tried to be all wigger and listen to Biggie Smalls, 2Pac, and other rap crap.

Then around Junior/Senior year I got into stuff like Limp Bizkit, 3 Doors Down, Smash Mouth, and other stuff like that.

After I graduated I slowly started to get into Pearl Jam and then I went to my first Pearl Jam concert in 2003 with a friend of mine and she LOVED them. After that concert I was hooked on them and over time I started discovering bands that influenced Pearl Jam (The Who, The Ramones, The Clash, The Doors) and then I made my way to newer bands like My Morning Jacket and Kings of Leon.

Silent
06-18-2007, 01:58 AM
When I was 11 I got into the popular stuff like boy bands and alternative rock.

When I was 13 I got into punk rock.

When I was 15 (or so) I started to get into emo stuff.

And then from 17 til now I've liked mostly metal and hardcore, but I still listen to everything. Sometimes I go from Slayer to blink 182. :o

The Naitch
06-18-2007, 02:43 AM
mainly been listening to hip-hop all my life

Kane Knight
06-18-2007, 01:28 PM
When I was 11 I got into the popular stuff like boy bands and alternative rock.

When I was 13 I got into punk rock.

When I was 15 (or so) I started to get into emo stuff.

And then from 17 til now I've liked mostly metal and hardcore, but I still listen to everything. Sometimes I go from Slayer to blink 182. :o

Bah. The other day, I went from Fallout Boy to The Buffy Musical soundtrack to the Everly Brothers to Type O Negative. And that was a slow day. ;)

razorblade kisses
06-22-2007, 07:25 PM
...I used to get into whatever my mother hated. Started off between 7-11 into Sex Pistols, Meatloaf, Roxy Music and Metallica...but it was more the ritual of putting the records on the record player that got me.

My first CD that I bought at 11 was Never Mind the Bollocks by the Sex Pistols. I carried on my love for Metallica etc but this was added to by Nirvana, The Offspring, Green Day, Blink 182 etc. Until 14/15 when I started getting into Marylin Manson, NIN, Iron Maiden, Tool etc.
I didn't make the leap into Emo, despite dating Hasney, apart from Taking Back Sunday and Brand New.

Then....I started going out 4 times a week. It started off with a love for Sonic Boom Six, and other more sort of dancey rock etc. Then I found I liked OKGO and other dancey indie. Now it's moving into the realms of dance...I saw Daft Punk at the Wireless Festival the other day, completely mashed off my face and I was like "Rigggghttttt now I suddenly get it".....now I'm going to Creamfields :shifty:

I worry myself :lol:

LaLa
06-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I still primarily listen to the same music (R&B) but now that I'm older I'm much more open to all different types of music, I listen to Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop, and I recently started getting into Country and Gospel.

Xero
06-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Let's see. I actually started with WWF themes. Well, before I actually got "into" music I loved Billy Joel (because of my mother) but drifted away from him for a while. Then I migrated to Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock and the like.

After that, pretty much everything I listen to now is the following, which I got into in-order: Alanis Morissette, Classical, Queen, AC/DC, Quiet Riot, Metallica (etc), Billy Joel, Don McLean and similar stuff (not really sure what that genre would be), and finally (Mostly) 80's (what I consider) pop - Michael Jackson, The Bangles, Eurythmics, etc etc etc. I love the really campy shit especially.

Lately I've been drifting into Jazz.

Of course this isn't the ONLY stuff I listen to now, but that's the bulk of it.

IC Champion
06-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Mostly hip hop.

Avenger
06-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I guess when I was younger I was into the usual crap that everyone listens to when they're young. Once I hit 12-13-14 I didn't really go with the flow with all the stuff that my friends were listening to. I became really into music from before my time and I guess my main artists from those years would have been the Beatles and David Bowie etc. I always a bit of Blink and so forth but I've now developed my own taste which basically ranges between old RnB, soul and Rock.

My all-time favourite artists for example include Van Morrison and U2 while these days I'm really into The Killers, The View, Amy Winehouse. Stuff like that. If I hear something different that I like and I believe is a step above the rest I'll add it into my playlist and give it a listen.

I started listen to Bruce Springsteen when I was 13 however and still find time for an album every day. He's just the end all and be all for me to be honest.

Avenger
06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
loving a lot of old Blues stuff from Muddy Waters and co. right now aswell.