PDA

View Full Version : ECW ruined everything

Jordan
06-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Now before I post this, know two things

1. I loved the original ECW
2. I'm drunk.

ECW RUINED EVERYTHING

How, you ask? I'll tell you. ECW broke the mold, the kayfabe mold that WWE and WCW made. The only way for them to get famous was to say what most people were probably thinking in the back of their minds... WWE/WCW has shitty workrate and horrible bookers etc...

But ECW's shoot style took everything that was mystical about wrestling and exposed it for what it really is, fake, staged fighting. If you really look at a lot of ECW matches they are no better, stupid table stunt.... WHY DOESN'T HE ROLL OF THE FUCKINIG TABLE?!?! Why doesn't Tanaka move out of the way when Awesome plancha's over the top rope to the outside?
Why doesn't he fight when he is about to be chokeslamed off of a 20 foot balcony?

In WWE at that time you had more realistic wrestling style and Kayfabe was always kept. But now even WWE.com admits to the stagedness of the business from time to time.

Bottom line, and maybe this is a personal problem but sometimes when I watch wrestling these days I am thinking, why the hell am I watching fake fighting?

Now, I don't always feel that way. For instance, Benoit/Lashley looked like a true contest, very believable match. However I can't watch AAA without feeling like a fucking retard. That has to be the worst wrestling ever.

There are some noteworthy people who keep the kayfabe up and make it worth watching, you know who they are.

I know im kinda all over the place with this, but does anyone agree that ECW did change wrestling for the better. ONLY for that time being, but now we are feeling the after affects of it as we try to go back to what it once was?

IC Champion
06-16-2007, 11:49 PM
ECW was simply moving with the times as they were changing with the internet and such, I Blame WCW for helping kill kayfabe and then later on it was the WWE.

Jordan
06-16-2007, 11:50 PM
I agree with that, ECW was moving with the times. But where do you go after that?

HeartBreakMan2k
06-17-2007, 12:49 AM
You continue with the times and make it the action more realistic. The times are going to MMA, I'm not saying WWE should start to shoot, because that would be stupid, but start looking more realistic. Hell, that's the reason Brock Lesnar was the goods, his offense made sense. It had that "big fight" appeal.

BigDaddyCool
06-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Um, what?

Pepsi Man
06-17-2007, 11:16 AM
You're looking at the whole ECW thing the wrong way. They usually didn't go out and say, "omg it iz faek" right on the air; most of their shots were at the style, and a lot of those hardcore things like going through tables and whatnot were seen as more "extreme". As far as why the guys don't roll off the table, or why they don't "fight back", when they're about to get Chokeslammed 20 feet to a hard landing, how many matches did you really see? I didn't even get to see as much as I would've liked, and I've seen people roll off tables, fight back from such aforementioned attempts, and everything else. How the WWF's wrestling style was "more realistic" then, I don't know. Anyone I'd ever watch or talk wrestling with at the time would find plenty of shit to point out in the WWF, and especially WCW, that ruined the credibility of matches.

And I'm sure if I wanted to be a prick, matches like Benoit vs. Lashley are no different, as far as being able to find logic holes. It's pro wrestling; always has been, and for the conceivable future, always will be.

Mooияakeя™
06-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I think the internet ruined Kayfabe, but at teh other end of the spectrum, it gave birth to many more fans who like to see how the business works.

In a way, some more true fans have been brought along. Look at the pops Cena gets. It's mainly from women and kids (you can hear it clearly on TV) but being there YOU REALLY CAN see it. Yet, someone who puts on a decent match, can sell moves for a match (not just for 5 seconds then goes "on fire") gets the respect from these new true fans.

Call them smarks, call that fat internet turds (though most probably ain't!), call them saddo's. But still, they're here and most of it is thanks to the inet.

ECW, merely realised that. Just look at how Dreamer etc talk with passion about their fans in the old days of E-C-Dub.

Kane Knight
06-17-2007, 02:16 PM
You're looking at the whole ECW thing the wrong way. They usually didn't go out and say, "omg it iz faek" right on the air; most of their shots were at the style, and a lot of those hardcore things like going through tables and whatnot were seen as more "extreme". As far as why the guys don't roll off the table, or why they don't "fight back", when they're about to get Chokeslammed 20 feet to a hard landing, how many matches did you really see? I didn't even get to see as much as I would've liked, and I've seen people roll off tables, fight back from such aforementioned attempts, and everything else. How the WWF's wrestling style was "more realistic" then, I don't know. Anyone I'd ever watch or talk wrestling with at the time would find plenty of shit to point out in the WWF, and especially WCW, that ruined the credibility of matches.

And I'm sure if I wanted to be a prick, matches like Benoit vs. Lashley are no different, as far as being able to find logic holes. It's pro wrestling; always has been, and for the conceivable future, always will be.

Not to mention, when you get enough shit kicked out of you, you stop really fighting back. Or the best you can do is kinda struggle impotently. And WWE had people stay still for the Worm. Sure, it soon became the move that never ever hit, but...

Or the Bronco Buster. Do you know how hard it would be to get out of the way of that? Yeah. Falling down. Drop to your side.

Jesus Christ, comapred to people laying still for the Worm, nothing in ECW was unrealistic.

Kane Knight
06-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I think the internet ruined KayfabeVince spawned the internet intrest. Or, he spawned the mainstream internet intrest.

IC Champion
06-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Not to mention, when you get enough shit kicked out of you, you stop really fighting back. Or the best you can do is kinda struggle impotently. And WWE had people stay still for the Worm. Sure, it soon became the move that never ever hit, but...

Or the Bronco Buster. Do you know how hard it would be to get out of the way of that? Yeah. Falling down. Drop to your side.

Jesus Christ, comapred to people laying still for the Worm, nothing in ECW was unrealistic.
Thank you Mr. Knight, someone in this thread knows something.

Jordan
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I was talking about WWE before ECW.

Kane Knight
06-17-2007, 03:30 PM
I was talking about WWE before ECW.

You mean the WWF that featured the Hogan Leg Drop? Cartoony faces and dastardly heels? Or maybe you mean pre-Attitude Era wrestlers like the Undertaker, the undead redneck who followed an urn around?

Jordan
06-17-2007, 04:01 PM
No, I mean Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Mr. Perfect, Roddy Piper, Super Fly, Flair, Razor, Jarrett, 123 Kid, Sid, Diesel, all these guys had a realistic style. Throw Hogan and Cartoons all you want I'm talking about the wrestling, it was better than it is now, and it was better than it was in ECW.

IC Champion
06-17-2007, 04:04 PM
For everyone who was realistic, theres another retarded cartoon/sterotypical gimmick.

Kane Knight
06-17-2007, 04:32 PM
No, I mean Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Mr. Perfect, Roddy Piper, Super Fly, Flair, Razor, Jarrett, 123 Kid, Sid, Diesel, all these guys had a realistic style. Throw Hogan and Cartoons all you want I'm talking about the wrestling, it was better than it is now, and it was better than it was in ECW.

I remember Michaels and Diesel fighting with a prosthetic leg and a fire extinguisher. Hell, Michaels' finisher is almost as realistic as the Worm. Nor was Piper always realistic.

But the main point I would like to make, that aside, is that you can't call a promotion more realistic and then disregard the unrealistic stuff.

Destor
06-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Vote Jabba: http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64390

Mooияakeя™
06-17-2007, 04:39 PM
The fingerpoke of doooooom... THE FINGERPOKE OF DOOOOM!

Pepsi Man
06-17-2007, 04:45 PM
rofl, are you serious with most of that list?

IC Champion
06-17-2007, 04:52 PM
The following announcement has been IC Aproved:

Vote Anybody Thrilla :y: http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64390

Xero
06-17-2007, 05:16 PM
The following announcement has been IC Aproved:

Vote Anybody Thrilla :y: http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64390
This has also been Xero approved. :y:

Destor
06-17-2007, 05:16 PM
:n:

Way to vote against the wrestling forum Xero.

:nono:

Xero
06-17-2007, 05:19 PM
LOL. You mean the C-Fed forum, right?

IC Champion
06-17-2007, 05:19 PM
The following announcement has been IC/Xero Aproved:

Vote Anybody Thrilla http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64390

Destor
06-17-2007, 05:24 PM
LOL. You mean the C-Fed forum, right?Which is a sub forum of the wrestling forum.

Xero
06-17-2007, 05:42 PM
It's the Red-Headed retarded stepchild of the wrestling forum.

Pretty much it's Matt Boone's brother.

Frankly, I'd legitimately vote Crippla over Jabba.

Destor
06-17-2007, 05:43 PM
But still one of us :heart:

Anybody Thrilla
06-17-2007, 07:24 PM
It's the Red-Headed retarded stepchild of the wrestling forum.

Pretty much it's Matt Boone's brother.

Frankly, I'd legitimately vote Crippla over Jabba.

Then why don't you go over there and legitimately vote me over him?

Xero
06-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Done.

Stickman
06-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Blame Canada.

Kane Knight
06-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Fuck Canada. They are SO last week's fall guy. Blame Korea.

IC Champion
06-18-2007, 01:43 PM
What did Canada ever do?

Theo Dious
06-19-2007, 12:05 PM
What did Canada ever do?

That's just the point, what HAVE they ever done. They became a country by accident, they had a guy named Cockburn in their first damn government, and they keep pretending that ham is bacon. :mad: