PDA

View Full Version : The Most Powerful Families in Wrestling: DVD Review

Loose Cannon
06-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Well I was in need of a new WWF DVD as I was beginning to wear out the ones I already own. I've been watching a lot of my old DVD's this month (AWA, Pillman, Roberts, Rhodes) and was in need of a new one.

I picked up the Families DVD at Best Buy the other day. I was really looking foward to this one as it seemed like I was going to get a lot of footage from various promotions. And I did. You get footage from Florida, Texas, Canada, Purto Rico, Mexico, Minnesota, Mid South and New York of course.

It was nice seeing all the different promoters and their respected territories that they ran. You had Graham in Florida, Fritz in Texas, Stu in Canada, Colon in Purto Rico, Guerrero in Mexico and Vince in NY. They showed a lot of wrestlers that came out of those territories. The family of the promoters helped everyway they could in trying to make the promotion a succes. If you were the son of a promoter it was almost guaranteed you were going to be in the wrestling business in some shape or form.

My favorite segments were the Harts, Samoans, Guerrero, McMahon, Von Erichs and the Johnsons.

Harts, Guerrero and Von Erichs had some touching moments dealing with the tragedies that hit those respected families. It was sad watching Kevin talk about his family and his brothers. I'm glad they included him on the DVD.

There was also a touching moment with Vince talking about his dad and how he wasn't around a lot, which is what a lot of the families had to deal with.

There was also another historic and touching moment when Rocky and Atlas became Tag Champions and were the 1st African American Champions in the WWF and the Rock is remembering it.

Watching the Somoans and thier lineage was very cool. They went from Afa and Sika to Umaga. And the best part about this segment was they had the fucking King of the Ring 93 clip where Yoko put Hogan away and won the Title. I love that scene.

I enjoyed watching some segments like the Vachons whom don't get that much attention in wrestling these days. Mad Dog was a nut and played an awesome character. I liked watching his scenes on the AWA DVD.

The DVD contained a segment about those families/brothers that weren't really brothers and I thought that was cool. It was funny watching some wrestlers react like "what the hell, I really thought they were brothers." I myself thought the Andersons were related for the longest time. Arn and Ole.

The only cons about this DVD were that I wish the segments could of been longer and showed more footage. Like they mentioned the Harts reuniting in 1997 for like a second and I thought that would of been important to have on the DVD. The Von Erichs seemed to go quick, with no mention of Kerry being in the WWF.

I haven't watched the matches yet, but they don't seem all that great. I don't buy DVD's for the matches though, so I guess it's a matter of preferance.

All in all, if you like wrestling history, buy this DVD. It features a lot of variety from all the different promotions and many wrestling legends. If you want to see great matches, well this DVD just doesn't have that. Although looking at the matches now, I think that Windam match had a cool swerve ending to it. Not positive though. I enjoyed the documentary very much and learned a couple new things from it.

I give it an 8.9/10

Can't wait for the next one to come out.

KingofOldSchool
06-17-2007, 11:36 AM
I thought it was an excellent DVD, watched it myself on Friday.