PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - What should be the main-event at Wrestlemania 20?

Heyman
02-26-2004, 12:01 AM
DISCUSSION - What should be the main-event at Wrestlemania 20?

In my opinion, I'd go with Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg.....especially now that Austin is the special guest referee. This match is by far the most high profile in my opinion.

It just doesn't make sense to have the 'highest profile' match below another match. We saw what happened at Wrestlemania 18 when The Rock/Hogan went BEFORE Triple H/Jericho. Granted - the other 3 matches in question have been built up far better than HHH/Y2J from WM-18, but c'mon.........this is Brock vs. Goldberg; King Kong vs. Godzilla; Triple A vs. Rajah Kumar.

The only other match that I'd consider having as the main-event, would be Kane vs. Undertaker.........simply because Taker could be making his 1st appearance as the deadman in almost 4 years.

Innovator
02-26-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm a purest, so whoever wins the Royal Rumble deserves the main event slot. Especially after Benoit went 62 minutes in it.

BasicThuganomics
02-26-2004, 12:18 AM
DISCUSSION - What should be the main-event at Wrestlemania 20?

In my opinion, I'd go with Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg.....especially now that Austin is the special guest referee. This match is by far the most high profile in my opinion.

It just doesn't make sense to have the 'highest profile' match below another match. We saw what happened at Wrestlemania 18 when The Rock/Hogan went BEFORE Triple H/Jericho. Granted - the other 3 matches in question have been built up far better than HHH/Y2J from WM-18, but c'mon.........this is Brock vs. Goldberg; King Kong vs. Godzilla; Triple A vs. Rajah Kumar.

The only other match that I'd consider having as the main-event, would be Kane vs. Undertaker.........simply because Taker could be making his 1st appearance as the deadman in almost 4 years.

title matches should always be last............

titles are the most important part of the business.

Kane Knight
02-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Spike Dudley vs. Shannon Moore...

Heyman
02-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Spike Dudley vs. Shannon Moore...

The WWE should do an angle where SHannon Moore has a sex change........and becomes the greatest Women's champion of all-time. It's all about controversy.

The Icon of Elisim
02-26-2004, 12:28 AM
Angle and Eddie should be the main event because the best way to end the card would be with the best match of the night.

But they need to keep some tradition in there and the royal rumble winner should be in the main event

BasicThuganomics
02-26-2004, 12:32 AM
The WWE should do an angle where SHannon Moore has a sex change........and becomes the greatest Women's champion of all-time. It's all about controversy.

HAHA, wow thats one of the only times I can think of that you've made me laugh, you usually piss me off or annoy me, no offense.

but :lol: that was funny...

Kane Knight
02-26-2004, 12:41 AM

You want them to rehash Chyna?

The CyNick
02-26-2004, 12:44 AM
Its such a tough call at this point.

I also believe that the winner of the Rumble should get the main event spot, just because now that they have two titles, winning the Rumble needs to be about more than just a title shot (because there are two of those). However, based on the TV build, I'm not really overly hyped about the 3 way for the World Title. If Benoit is going over, it would make sense for it to go last, but I'm not convinced about the heat for this match.

2 weeks ago I would have said Eddie vs Kurt will get buried at Mania, in fact I said that a lot, but man was I wrong (dont tell anyone I said that). Eddie vs Kurt was made for me on Smackdown last week witk Kurt's heel turn. That combined with the wonderful job they did building up Eddie after Royal Rumble and through No Way Out, I really think this match, considering its for the 'real' WWE title, and has the hottest star in the WWE right now, deserves the final spot.

In terms of hype, I think its a toss-up between the Kane-Taker and Brock-Goldberg matches. Brock's match has Austin, so that gives it a boost, but at the same time the heel is going over there (even though as Ive said before, I think Goldberg will be turned on by the fans) so thats not the best way to end Mania. Kane-Taker is safe in terms of the crowd, but do you want this match to close out Mania? I mean, it could be ugly.

I hope one of the title matches goes on last, like I said, I think the spot belongs to Benoit, but should go to Eddie and Kurt, if that makes any sense.

blake639raw
02-26-2004, 01:06 AM
That combined with the wonderful job they did building up Eddie after Royal Rumble and through No Way Out, I really think this match, considering its for the 'real' WWE title, and has the hottest star in the WWE right now, deserves the final spot. My thoughts exactly. It will definately be a classic contest, with two of the most over stars in the company, and two of the best. You couldn't ask for a better main event for WMXX.

John la Rock
02-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Well the last two years the most hyped up match is not the main event. At WM X8 Rock/Hogan got the most exposure and was stuck behind a ****ing women's title match :mad:, at WM XIX Hogan/McMahon got the most exposure and it was tyhe 3rd last match of the show.

Joe Kerr
02-26-2004, 01:36 AM
triple threat-- Being that the rumble is suppose to have a direct effect on the main event title match at wrestlemanina wouldnt it make more sence? Also Raws belts seem to be more important than smackdowns belts IMO.

BasicThuganomics
02-26-2004, 01:49 AM
Yeah I know some people may think SD's title is the "real" title (unless CyNick is the only one), but as of right now, RAW is kinda the more important show. Last year SD was more important, and just better in almost every way. But this year RAW has been doing really good and is certainly being booked to be the better of the two shows. Plus, obvioulsy the rumble winner deserves the spot and everything.

Dave Youell
02-26-2004, 02:44 AM
I say go with eddie/Angle.

Screw tradition the first ever winner of the rumble didn't get a title shot so it's not like it's always been that way. Plus Eddie/Angle should be the best match of the year.

A mania main event should always be a one on one affair, Mania 16 sucked big time with that 4 way, plus HBK isn't 100% and HHH groin has been dodgy for about 7 to 8 months now, so the only guy in the match who is gonna be going all out will be Benoit. Plus the way things are getting booked right now i can see HHH pinning HBK and Benoit getting an edmonton re match as he never got pinned. And there is no way in hell a heel should finish the biggest mania of all time.

Cactus Sid
02-26-2004, 03:50 AM
Well the last two years the most hyped up match is not the main event. At WM X8 Rock/Hogan got the most exposure and was stuck behind a ****ing women's title match :mad:, at WM XIX Hogan/McMahon got the most exposure and it was tyhe 3rd last match of the show.

You do know why they put the Women's title match after the Rock/Hogan match don't you?

Mikey
02-26-2004, 07:43 AM
Its a toss up between the two championship matches

The CyNick
02-26-2004, 10:28 AM
I think in terms of TV, both titles have been booked to have equal importance (thought RAW title was weak in 2K3, but has been strong since the HHH-HBK deal). Yeah Hunter goes on TV and says he's the 'real worlds champion", but he should say that. It would be stupid if he went on RAW and went "I'm pretty good, but SD is really where the real title is, so I'm just a fraud". I mean that would be refreshing cause it would be honest, but from a storyline standpoint it makes no sense.

I always see the SD title as being more important because its the real title. Rock was the Undisputed Champ, he lost to Brock, who lost to Show who lost to Kurt who lost to Brock who lost to Kurt who lost to Brock who lost to Eddie. Therefore, Eddie is the "real" WWE Champion. The title that Hunter carries around was pulled out of a briefcase and never won. I could overlook that since its been some time, but the way Hunter politics the title, it has very little value to me as a fan of the business. I see it as a prop to make Hunter feel good. Whereas the SD title has some sense of competition to it, since it goes to deserving people.

The CyNick
02-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Also, more people watch SD than RAW, so more fans would see the SD title as being the only championship in the company.

big_bluto
02-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Guerrero v Angle. Got to be.

While Benoit/Lumbering-fatguy/HBK promises to be a pretty good match, I think the only other real contender would be Goldberg v Lesnar, of which there is no titles, and two guys who sometimes need someone to play off of. (Potentially a Big Show v Harcore Holly)
This could be a great match, but the potential is there for it to be a huge let down.

The same could be said for Taker v Kane. This could be a great match, but it might end up being memorable for nothing more than the return of the Deadman.

Splaya
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
AAA would so job to Rajah :shifty:

Kane Knight
02-26-2004, 12:11 PM
triple threat-- Being that the rumble is suppose to have a direct effect on the main event title match at wrestlemanina wouldnt it make more sence?

I'd agree, except for the whole "triple threat main event @ Wrestlemania" bit.

The Naitch
02-26-2004, 12:31 PM
It makes sense to but the Triple Threat match last. Why?

1- Benoit won the rumble. Tradition to be in the main event
2- Brock had the main event last year
3-Kurt had the main even last year
4-Well, Trips and Shawn are in it. They'll weasel their way in. Trips wasn't in the main even last year. Neither was Shawn.

The World Heavyweight Title is basically considered the #1 title in the company mainly because it's the RAW title and RAW is the flagship.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Brock and Goldberg was the main event mainly because it's the bigger draw, but I still doubt it.

blake639raw
02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Like it was said before, if this is slated to be the "best wrestling event ever", they need to end on a high note. Meaning the last match has to be GREAT. The only matches that could possibly go on last are the 3 way or the WWE Title Match. The 3 way doesn't really have enough steam imo, because the fans aren't 100% behind Benoit, because most people have it in the back of their minds that Benoit will job, and HHH is going to retain. Besides, Eddie/Angle will probably be a better match, it is for the "real" WWE Title, and Eddie is the hottest star they have. Taker/Kane, and Lesnar/Goldberg probably won't be horrible matches, but aside from the hype and the marking out of seeing Taker back as the DeadMan, do you think those matches will be good enough to end their biggest show?

The Naitch
02-26-2004, 12:49 PM
LT vs. Bam Bam, main event :shifty:

Heyman
02-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Looks like I was the only guy (jackass? :p ) that voted for Goldberg/Lesnar.

While I agree with the reasoning that the WWE should be inclined to follow tradition (i.e. having the winner of the RR be in the "main-event", while also having a world title match as the final match), you simply can't ignore the fact that Goldberg/Lesnar will be by FAR the most anticipated match on the card (especially with Austin as the special guest referee).

With WM slated to be such a long show (5 hours?), there is a danger that the fans may not be "in to" the main-event match due to tiredom.

I mean - 5 hours of ANYTHING is a bit much (with the exception of f</>ucking Trish Stratus which would never get boring).

The crowd NEEDS to be in to the FINAL match. The absolute worst case scenerio is the crowd being dead for the final match.......especially if Benoit is slated to 'go over'.

The other thing I hate about a world title match being the "main-event", is that it makes the other brand's world title look inferior. If Angle/Guerrero main-event --> Raw's title looks inferior.......and vice-versa.

It's for this very reason why I feel that the WWE should buck tradition in this instance.

Heyman
02-26-2004, 12:59 PM
HAHA, wow thats one of the only times I can think of that you've made me laugh, you usually piss me off or annoy me, no offense.

but :lol: that was funny...

Hey BT - I think Cena should be traded to Raw while RVD should be traded to Smackdown. ;) :p

blake639raw
02-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Hey BT - I think Cena should be traded to Raw while RVD should be traded to Smackdown. ;) :p Trading Cena to RAW would kill him. Cena would end up just like Jericho, RVD, Booker, etc.

The CyNick
02-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Trading Cena to RAW would kill him. Cena would end up just like Jericho, RVD, Booker, etc.

100% true

Heyman
02-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Trading Cena to RAW would kill him. Cena would end up just like Jericho, RVD, Booker, etc.

Note : My usage of the ' :p ' and ' ;) ' similie!!!!!!!!!!!!

:nono:

The Naitch
02-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Honestly, it's all up to Vince. If he sees potential to large proportions with Cena, then why would he let his big nosed son-in-law kill any hope of the WWE becoming fresh with fresh young talent via John Cena?

Keep Cena on Smackdown. Make him Smackdown's Franchise and only have him on RAW for his future feud with Orton.

Heyman
02-26-2004, 01:11 PM
NOTE TO POSTERS: What I said to BT was an inside joke. In the past, he has made fun of me for talking about roster transactions (or ending the roster split) way too much.

I'd prefer to keep Cena on Smackdown.

p.s. Move Lesnar to Raw! ------> ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

The Naitch
02-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Yeah, but he'd have to turn face, and you know he just sucks at that

blake639raw
02-26-2004, 01:21 PM
p.s. Move Lesnar to Raw! ------> ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
:rant: :rant:

blake639raw
02-26-2004, 01:22 PM
NOTE TO POSTERS: What I said to BT was an inside joke. In the past, he has made fun of me for talking about roster transactions (or ending the roster split) way too much. Oh, cool.

FourFifty
02-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Triple H/Beniot/HBK should be the main event.

I can't say anything that hasn't been said already on this thread.
Beniot won the rumble, and tradation says he's in the main event.
Albeit the WWE Heavyweight Championship is pretty big, and if you want to follow its history the title (not the belt) that Eddie is holding is the same title held by "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers, and the same title that was defended at every WrestleMania before the World title got put in the mix... I don't think anyone from SmackDown has put his wang in Vince's daughter. So, the World Title will get more hype.
Lesnar VS Goldberg/Kane VS The Undertaker are two big draws, but they're not championship matches, but should be within the last 5 matches because of how much hype they have.

Anywho, here are my last 5 matches for WMXX... Potential spoilers if you have not read the rumors, and potetnail bullsh</>it if you have read them.

5. Foley VS Orton or Foley/Rock VS Orton/Batistia
Foley and Orton really should cross paths at WMXX, but the thing is will The Rock make his face seen this year, so he can be in the next WWE videogame?
4. The Undertaker VS Kane
I would of much rather seen this match become a spur of the moment brawl when Kane calls out The Undertaker.
3. Eddie VS Kurt
Megaprops to both wrestlers, but there's not enough hype behind this one.
2. Goldberg VS Lesnar
Albeit I'm not a fan of either wrestler, I'm rooting for Goldberg. And yes, after I post this, I will kill myself for saying that.
1. Triple H VS Beniot VS HBK
If you read the post I don't need to say a damn thing.

SuperSlim
02-26-2004, 02:09 PM
well... I see it as one way... RR winner headlines WM. Benoit won the Rumble so his match should be the main event of WrestleMania.

Sure Angle and Guerrero is gonna be good- better than the Trip/HBK thing includin Benoit. Sure the Goldberg/Brock/Austin thing is supposed to be good but none of them won.

WM XX is supposed to be continuin the tradition of WM and why would you break tradition?

Heyman
02-26-2004, 02:13 PM
WM XX is supposed to be continuin the tradition of WM and why would you break tradition?

WWE has pissed on tradition in recent memory anyways. KOTR is now defunct, while the IC title was also made to be obselete for awhile. This year - we are seeing a triple threat match for the world title...........FOR THE FIRST TIME.

A week or so ago - somebody who is no taller than 5'9 became World Champion.......FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE WWE.

BasicThuganomics
02-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey BT - I think Cena should be traded to Raw while RVD should be traded to Smackdown. ;) :p

:rant: :mad: :foc:

Yeah, at least you didn't mention reunitin the fu</>cking rosters again...

asshole!

jk, once again, though I have to say that you have the worst ideas

titles are the most important so they should go on last!!!!

And for the hundreth time, either title matches will be good enough to keep the crowd interested during the main event. The crowd at MSG will not be dead during an excellent match. And both of these will definately be excellent.
Oh yeah Heyman, are you at least happy that WMXX has interpromotional matches and doesn't need to exlain roster changes? You wouldn't shut up awhile back about how the rosters were gonna be uneven and shit. Do you like this scenerio?

HAHA at you being the only jackass to vote for Lesnar Goldberg to go on last! :lol:

You sure get a reaction out of people not knowing you're little joke, that made me laugh too.

Later...

SuperSlim
02-26-2004, 02:32 PM
WWE has pissed on tradition in recent memory anyways. KOTR is now defunct, while the IC title was also made to be obselete for awhile. This year - we are seeing a triple threat match for the world title...........FOR THE FIRST TIME.

A week or so ago - somebody who is no taller than 5'9 became World Champion.......FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE WWE.

yeah WWE has pissed on just about every tradition they ever had but this is one... holdin the RR winner in the WM mainevent has remained entact.

almost lost it at WM X-8 but they didn't.

they still have one tradition that they can keep.

Heyman
02-26-2004, 02:37 PM
:rant: :mad: :foc:

Yeah, at least you didn't mention reunitin the fu</>cking rosters again...

It's only been like 18 days since I mentioned it last. I try and talk about roster re-unifications every 5 weeks. ;).

jk, once again, though I have to say that you have the worst ideas

titles are the most important so they should go on last!!!!

And for the hundreth time, either title matches will be good enough to keep the crowd interested during the main event. The crowd at MSG will not be dead during an excellent match. And both of these will definately be excellent.

It's a 5 hour show (or damned close to it). 5 hours of ANYTHING can become tiresome.

Oh yeah Heyman, are you at least happy that WMXX has interpromotional matches and doesn't need to exlain roster changes? You wouldn't shut up awhile back about how the rosters were gonna be uneven and shit. Do you like this scenerio?

Yes. It worked out pretty well. I'm still not totally sold on Benoit moving to Raw (unless he wins the world title and becomes a dominant HEEL champ on Raw in which case, he can fight the likes of Jericho, RVD, Booker T, etc.). The Taker/Kane thing is also quite fresh.....I wasn't sure if the hype of it would last this long. I still wish that Goldberg and Lesnar would be on the same show leading up to Mania (I think it would've been a ratings getter), but this way isn't too bad either.

HAHA at you being the only jackass to vote for Lesnar Goldberg to go on last! :lol:

:D

BasicThuganomics
02-26-2004, 02:57 PM
It's only been like 18 days since I mentioned it last. I try and talk about roster re-unifications every 5 weeks. ;).

Sorry I missed it, I would have yelled at you again.(well, not yell I geuss, But typed in bold capitol letters using mean words. you get my point?) Bitching at you just never gets old...

Boondock Saint
02-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Vince won the '99 Rumble and wasn't in the main event. :shifty:

Loose Cannon
02-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Well I went with the Benoit match, but I'm assuming Benoit's winning the title. If he's not then FK that for the main event. The other match I would go with if Benoit doesn't win the title is Eddie/Angle. That's going to be one for the ages. You can't go Goldberg/Lesner because you can't end Mania with a Heel winning. And Taker/Kane won't be that great of a match, so you can't end it with that.

MVP
02-26-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm going with Angle vs. Eddie

I don't see what's so great about the Triple Threat match anymore, especially if two of the competetors are injury prone, and the possibility of it being a ladder match. The main event of Wrestlemania should be a one on one match, and for one of the titles. Heyman makes a good point about Lesnar vs. Goldberg w/ Austin as ref, but I don't see what it will accomplish as the main event. Sure Lesnar goes over Goldberg, but what does he have to celebrate, a beer with Austin? That can be worked into the show earlier.

A lot of people are saying that Chris Benoit deserves to be the main event winner, but what about Eddie? Eddie Guerrero is just as good a worker as Benoit, but he has more charisma. Assuming that Eddie retains the WWE title, he'll draw a huge pop. I don't even think Undertaker will draw as big.

Heyman
02-26-2004, 07:35 PM
You can't go Goldberg/Lesner because you can't end Mania with a Heel winning.

So in your view, WM's should ALWAYS be predictable with the babyface winning in the main-event? :wtf:

WM-17 was arguably the greatest Wrestlemania of all-time (or atleast one of them). STone Cold Steve Austin turned heel during the main-event and defeated The Rock.

p.s. If it's of any solace, most fans will probably cheer Lesnar over Goldberg anyways.

Loose Cannon
02-26-2004, 07:48 PM
I don't know though. Would you be willing to take the risk of the fans cheering Lesnar over Goldberg. If they are widely behind Goldberg and Goldberg loses to close out the show, that would be bad IMO. But the again, I keep forgetting the show in in my home state, so you may be right about them cheering for Lesnar. But how many New Yorkers are actually going to the show compared to everyone else?