PDA

View Full Version : Your New IWGP Champion Is....

KayfabeMan
06-30-2007, 07:51 AM
KURT ANGLE.

Defeated Brock Lesnar last night for the Title.

Here are the full results.

The Inoki Genome Federation ran their debut show
on June 29th in Tokyo at Ryogoku Kokugikan, claiming
8,426 paid. Results:

1. Lingerie Mutoh defeated Yuki Ishikawa in 7 minutes,
6 seconds with a soccer-ball kick.

2. Rocky Romero defeated El Blazer in 6 minutes, 9
seconds with a cross-arm scissors hold for the referee
stoppage.

3. Kevin Randleman defeated Alexander Otsuka in 5
minutes, 9 seconds with a powerbomb.

4. Michiyoshi Ohara defeated Taka Kuno in 6 minutes,
5 seconds with a tombstone pile-driver.

5. Kiyoshi Tamura & Ryuki Ueyama defeated Hidehisa
Matsuda & Yuki Kotake in 15 minutes, 47 seconds when
Tamura used a hiza-jujigatame on Matsuda for the submission.

6. Josh Barnett defeated Hollywood Tadao Yasuda
in 4 minutes, 17 seconds with a cross-arm scissors hold.

7. Naoya Ogawa defeated Mark Coleman in 6 minutes,
44 seconds with a sleeper hold for the referee stoppage.

8. IWGP 3rd belt title match: Kurt Angle defeated Brock
Lesnar in 10 minutes, 36 seconds with an ankle lock.

http://ca.c.yimg.jp/sports/1183127423/img.sports.yahoo.co.jp/spnavi/photo/fight/200706/29/20070629196.jpg

KayfabeMan
06-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Nice.

Two cool looking belts are better than one.

KayfabeMan
06-30-2007, 07:52 AM
And either is better than any belt that spins.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
06-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Now, if I was TPWW's news reporter, I would've brought you this news half an hour ago. ;)

Londoner
06-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Bit strange the match only went on 10 minutes, makes Lesnar look abit weak, still good to see Angle with two belts.

James Steele
06-30-2007, 08:29 AM
I am sure they just wanted to make sure Brock dropped the belt and leave Japan. Even though I thought Brock wasn't the actual IWGP Champion and he just never gave the belt back like Lawler did with the AWA Championship.

Super V
06-30-2007, 08:31 AM
I thought the IWGP Belts were for New Japan??

And that Yuji Nagata was the IWGP Champion???

James Steele
06-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Inoki is the best kind of booker for Angle. Angle has been talking about MMA forever, and Inoki is the master of worked shoots.

addy2hotty
06-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Angle still alive eh?

James Steele
06-30-2007, 10:28 AM
If he wrestles in Japan a lot, he won't be.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Okay, to clear things up. Kurt Angle is NOT the IWGP champion. That is not the official IWGP belt. Brock was the IWGP champ, didn't want to drop the belt, so screwed over New Japan and left, and stole the belt. New Japan owns both the IWGP title, IWGP championship, etc. THis card had nothing to do with New Japan. Yuji Nagata is the IWGP champion. Kurt Angle is not. He just has the 3rd gen IWGP belt that Brock stole.

IC Champion
06-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Brock sucks dick.

James Steele
06-30-2007, 11:00 AM
That IWGP Title and TNA Title look really similar. Now we know who TNA ripped their design off of.

James Steele
06-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Why does Kurt still wear the mouthpiece? I am sure his dental work is set by now.

IC Champion
06-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Cause It's Real, It's Damn Real....

Fuckin WWE and god damn trademarking everything under the sun.

The Naitch
06-30-2007, 12:11 PM
he looks like Lloyd Christmas with mouthpiece

Jordan
06-30-2007, 12:16 PM
So is this promotion like a mix between MMA and pro wrestling? They have Mark Coleman for christ sakes, thats awesome.

Mercury Bullet
06-30-2007, 12:17 PM
New Japan doesn't own the rights to IWGP or anything? People can just go around stealing their belts and defending them on their own?

Well I guess there's one POSITIVE to the WWE trademarking stuff, think if they didn't trademark their own god damn belts.

James Steele
06-30-2007, 12:19 PM
New Japan doesn't own the rights to IWGP or anything? People can just go around stealing their belts and defending them on their own?

Well I guess there's one POSITIVE to the WWE trademarking stuff, think if they didn't trademark their own god damn belts.

It was reported that NJPW owed Brock money, so he kept the belt. The same thing happened with Lawler and AWA.

Mercury Bullet
06-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I think though, if the WWE owed Edge money, he still couldn't just take the belt and show up on Impact and lose it to Christian or Rhino or somebody. Edge and TNA would get sued off the planet. Japan must have a different take on that kind of thing legally, where if somebody violates terms of an agreement, you can then violate the terms of agreement as you please.

James Steele
06-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I think though, if the WWE owed Edge money, he still couldn't just take the belt and show up on Impact and lose it to Christian or Rhino or somebody. Edge and TNA would get sued off the planet. Japan must have a different take on that kind of thing legally, where if somebody violates terms of an agreement, you can then violate the terms of agreement as you please.

They would have violated the agreement first by not paying. Also, it takes a lot of balls to take a WWE Title belt. Japan might have different laws, but this has happened before in wrestling.

Mercury Bullet
06-30-2007, 12:38 PM
It probably just comes down to Brock didn't give a damn and wasn't afraid of legal action by NJPW.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-30-2007, 12:40 PM
NJPW does own the IWGP belt, and then name. They are threatening to sue. So far, there has been no truth to the claim that NJPW owed Brock money. IN fact, the main person saying that was Brock Lesnar. It's hard to trust the guy who screwed over the company and wouldn't show because he was suppose to drop the belt. It'll be interesting to see what happens here now. Some people think that if They bring up the IWGP title on TNA TV, that it may be a work. Others thing that Angle may go to NJPW and wrestle Nagata, since TNA and NJPW had a working agreement not long ago. To clarify though, Angle is not the IWGP champion. NJpW owns all rights to the title and the belt. Brock was not the rightful owner of the belt, and there is no proof that NJPW owed Brock money.

IC Champion
06-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Brock reminds me of a high school nerd on steroids.

St. Jimmy
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Hell of a Belt Though.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-30-2007, 12:44 PM
It probably just comes down to Brock didn't give a damn and wasn't afraid of legal action by NJPW. Exactly. I mean, he basically shit on their contract and didn't even make his last appearance. It wouldn't surprise me if the "money owed" Brock mentions is for his last appearance, which he didn't make.

Mercury Bullet
06-30-2007, 12:45 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the "money owed" Brock mentions is for his last appearance, which he didn't make.

Yeh I think you're right on there.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-30-2007, 12:46 PM
BTW, the consensus coming out of this show is that it was fucking horrible. Also, the actual in ring time was 61 minutes.

Mercury Bullet
06-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Brock reminds me of a high school nerd on steroids.

:rofl:

IC Champion
06-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Well he does...

JT
06-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Actually, the former owner of NJPW owns the belt, and recognized Brock as the Champ, giving him back the belt. The Brock/Angle match was thus offical and Kurt Angle is the IWGP Champion.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Actually, the former owner of NJPW owns the belt, and recognized Brock as the Champ, giving him back the belt. The Brock/Angle match was thus offical and Kurt Angle is the IWGP Champion. Incorrect. NJPW owns the belt. Antonio Inoki has had nothing to do with NJPW for a bit, his brother, SImon Inoki, recently left/was removed from the company ( he left before they could remove him.) The irony is, the actual belt that Brock had, is a belt that was made AFTER Antonio Inoki was done with the company. Antonio Inoki has no claim to that belt, any IWGP belt, or the title. NJPW has claims to all of them. This is the same logic as saying if WWE release Paul Heyman, and then Johnny Nitro quits WWE and steals the belt, Paul Heyman can book him ona show, as the ECW champion, and have him defend the belt, claiming it's an ECW title match. Paul Heyman used to own ECW, but has no claim to it now. Just like Antonio Inoki.

JT
06-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Incorrect. NJPW owns the belt. Antonio Inoki has had nothing to do with NJPW for a bit, his brother, SImon Inoki, recently left/was removed from the company ( he left before they could remove him.) The irony is, the actual belt that Brock had, is a belt that was made AFTER Antonio Inoki was done with the company. Antonio Inoki has no claim to that belt, any IWGP belt, or the title. NJPW has claims to all of them. This is the same logic as saying if WWE release Paul Heyman, and then Johnny Nitro quits WWE and steals the belt, Paul Heyman can book him ona show, as the ECW champion, and have him defend the belt, claiming it's an ECW title match. Paul Heyman used to own ECW, but has no claim to it now. Just like Antonio Inoki.

Ight, just stating what I heard but was under the notion that it worked differently there than it does here for WWE. When WWE bought ECW, they bought all rights and trademarks. With NJPW, I heard only 51% of the company was purchase, and in another article read that Antonio Inoki still held ownership of the belt. I could have read the wrong information though.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-30-2007, 01:23 PM
When Yukes bought the 51%, they bought out INoki's share in the company. Yukes purchased Antonio Inoki's majority stock and the companies images. The remaining 49% are other shareholders, none of which is Inoki.

D Mac
07-01-2007, 06:24 AM
Anywhere I can see the video? Brock vs Angle is like pretty cool.

Impeccable
07-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Nice.

Two cool looking belts are better than one.

They're not cool. They don't spin [/Vince]

Nikkolas
07-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Brock seems to have all the talent you could ask for but no decency.

And the guy has passed several steroid tests in several organizations.

Mr. Nerfect
07-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Antonio Inoki is pretty clever for doing this, if you ask me. Does he have any right to the belt? Apparently not, legally, as New Japan are planning to sue, but Japan is a really different wrestling culture. They put their results in the newspapers, release magazines listing what is going on in wrestling all over the world. This is scandal, and regardless of whether or not Antonio Inoki owns the belt, the fact is he has it, and he put it on Kurt Angle during his show.

They will no doubt be forced to change the name to the IGF World Heavyweight Championship, or something, but until then, there is some dispute, and it will no doubt get Japanese fans buzzing about the promotion. If Kurt Angle takes the belt with him to TNA, it could be a great thing for both TNA and the IGF. Have Angle defend the IGF World Title in TNA, and have him defend the TNA World Title in the IGF, and you have the fan bases getting more interested in the other.

It's all just publicity, and Inoki is just doing what he can to get noticed in an already oversaturated Japanese market. I mean, they have New Japan, All Japan, Pro Wrestling NOAH and even Dragon Gate over there.

Xero
07-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Since I don't follow Japanese wrestling, I'm just wondering what the chances that this could be a work are?

Nikkolas
07-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Case anyone wants to watch the match and this isn't in the YouTube thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y75oD9PlwWU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewwe%2Dclub%2Ecom%2FphpBB2%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D77304%26highlight%3Dbrock% 2Blesnar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj-NeKlbAMg&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewwe%2Dclub%2Ecom%2FphpBB2%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D77304%26highlight%3Dbrock% 2Blesnar

Jordan
07-01-2007, 08:28 PM
THANKS!

chrisat928
07-01-2007, 08:38 PM
What the hell is with overly muscular freaks getting stupid tattoos on their chest?

EDIT: Ok, so Brock isn't so overly muscular anymore.

What Would Kevin Do?
07-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Since I don't follow Japanese wrestling, I'm just wondering what the chances that this could be a work are?

Who knows. Angle did say he wants to go to NJPW and defend that belt, and have a unification match with Yuji Nagata.. I'd pay to see that.

Also, Alienoid, your idea works, but technically, they can't use the belt either, as it is the IWGP belt, and NJPW's property. Anyway, Inoki is going to need all the press interest he can get, because apparently the show was the suck.

Nikkolas
07-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Kurt is interested in having an MMA Match with Lesnar but of course, don't think you could fight for the belt that way.

Inoki says the belt is his properly as he made NJPW.

Whatever happens, the belt looks way cool.

Mr. Nerfect
07-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Who knows. Angle did say he wants to go to NJPW and defend that belt, and have a unification match with Yuji Nagata.. I'd pay to see that.

Also, Alienoid, your idea works, but technically, they can't use the belt either, as it is the IWGP belt, and NJPW's property. Anyway, Inoki is going to need all the press interest he can get, because apparently the show was the suck.

I'm pretty sure a lot of Japan would pay to see Kurt Angle vs. Yuji Nagata, too, which is hopefully what NJPW, TNA and maybe even IGF are thinking. I'd love to see Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar and Yuji Nagata all get swept up in each other's title scenes.

If somehow we see Kurt Angle vs. Yuji Nagata to decide who the IWGP World Heavyweight Champion really is, Nagata will obviously go over. Having Nagata then challenge Kurt Angle for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship would be awesome. Angle can get his win back on American soil, and both guys can lay claim to being the best.

As for IGF's next big main event, just have Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle go at it in an "MMA" match. If Brock Lesnar wins, he can get a shot at the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Instead of creating another new title, Antonio Inoki can just recognise the TNA World Title as IGF's top prize, at least until he decides he's done using Angle, that is.

Nikkolas
07-04-2007, 12:14 AM
It would destroy Lesnar's potential credibility in the future of MMA to have him fight in an MMA-Style but pro-wrestling scripted match

I say have a real shoot MMA match between Angle and Brock with the winner getting a title. No works.

James Steele
07-04-2007, 02:32 PM
It would destroy Lesnar's potential credibility in the future of MMA to have him fight in an MMA-Style but pro-wrestling scripted match

I say have a real shoot MMA match between Angle and Brock with the winner getting a title. No works.

Nobody would believe it.

Nikkolas
07-04-2007, 02:55 PM
True enough.

I've heard Angle has backed out of a possible real MMA fight between teh two, anyway.

Mr. Nerfect
07-04-2007, 09:25 PM
True enough.

I've heard Angle has backed out of a possible real MMA fight between teh two, anyway.

If I were Angle, I'd back out, too. Angle is greatness, but Lesnar is younger, bigger, doesn't have the neck problems, and has been training with Royce Gracie, apparently. My money would have to go on Lesnar if the two got into a real fight.

Brock Lesnar appearing with IGF in the first place probably damaged some of his credibility in MMA. Antonio Inoki obviously offered Lesnar a fair bit of money, so Lesnar might be better suited to sticking with the Federation, and working as a professional wrestler. Of course we all know how well Lesnar sticks to things. If MMA doesn't work out, we could see him back, but even then, he'd probably run off to train for the World Badminton Championships, or something.

YOUR Hero
07-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Kurt looks like a goof in that picture.

Indifferent Clox
07-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I think it's all a part of a storyline. Then again I think just about everything is part of a storyline.

Fucking illuminati.