PDA

View Full Version : Marvel vs. DC.

Kane Knight
07-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Just wondering what people like more. I'm a very casual comic book fan (Especially since it's been more than a decade since I've really read a comic), but I've always liked Marvel more than DC, with the exception of Batman and sorta Green Lantern. Still kind of a gay character.

Loose Cannon
07-19-2007, 12:27 PM
always like Marvel better. Mostly because with Marvel you have a lot of teams. X-men, X-Factor, Brotherhood, Nasty Boys, Sinister Six etc...

Reavant
07-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I like Marvel better too. Huge Variety and theres a lot of cross overs now too.

Lock Jaw
07-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I've always liked DC better. I always maintain though, that the answer to this question is almost always just the company that a respective person grew up reading. I grew up with DC and not much Marvel.

To me, DC is more about heroism and icons and stuff like that.
Right now, Marvel is all about politics.

Not that politics are bad in comics... Checkmate over at DC is one of my favourite books right now. But in Marvel it is just ALL "u must register"-"no u"-"i am. now register. u r dangeros."-"yo momma!". It just all seems so petty and insignificant to me.

Dave Youell
07-19-2007, 01:03 PM
I prefer marvel. Mainly because of my hatred of Superman, I fucking hate that douche, he's too fucking powerful.

Jordan
07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I read both growing up so I really don't have a favorite. My favorite Marvel Comic was X-Men and my favorite DC is Batman, I voted for DC.

Rammsteinmad
07-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Marvel.

However I collect DC comics too. So I like 'em both. But Marvel is definitely my favourite.

Rammsteinmad
07-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Infact, I'd like to take this oppotunity to show off my cool Marvel Civil War T-Shirt.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Prog_Metal_Head/stuff.jpg

Also I read some of the Marvel Zombies stuff last night. Lol, awesome stuff. I can't wait to get hold of the Marvel Zombies VS Evil Dead comics.

Theo Dious
07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Daredevil, and the Fantastic 4 could slaughter any combo DC has to offer. There are only three decent things to come out of DC, and they are Wonder Woman's breasts and Batman.

Mr Regal
07-19-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm not massively into comics. I have always preferred Marvels chracters though.

However for me Batman > everything else.

Reavant
07-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Well given the choices I went with Marvel. But my personal favorite is McFarlane comics.

Mr Regal
07-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I lime the Beano

Fox
07-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Daredevil, and the Fantastic 4 could slaughter any combo DC has to offer. There are only three decent things to come out of DC, and they are Wonder Woman's breasts and Batman.

Superman could handle that team by himself. Which is why I choose DC.

Reavant
07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Superman could handle that team by himself. Which is why I choose DC.
Well spawn could handle superman so thats why i like mcfarlane:roll:

Fryza
07-19-2007, 05:19 PM
The fact that Marvel has always seemed to showcase more characters, especially the nobody's, always caught my attention. DC just seemed to focus on the core people (the seven Justice League starters and a few others) bothers me. They don't put a lot of detail in people who aren't Batman and Superman.

And Superman is a prick. That makes me like DC less.

Mr Regal
07-19-2007, 05:21 PM
But could superman take on Cosmic Spiderman?

ron the dial
07-19-2007, 05:22 PM
I've read far more Marvel than I have DC, so I have to go with Marvel. Not to say that I dislike DC, but seeing as Marvel has Wolverine I have to lean that way.

Reavant
07-19-2007, 05:23 PM
But could superman take on Cosmic Spiderman?
no but spawn could:|

Mr Regal
07-19-2007, 05:29 PM
FUCK SPAWN:mad:

FUCK HIM IN HIS STUPID CHAINY ASS:foc:

Reavant
07-19-2007, 05:29 PM
YOU DONT MEAN THAT :'(

Mr Regal
07-19-2007, 05:31 PM
I sat through the film....I FUCKING MEAN IT:mad:

Reavant
07-19-2007, 05:36 PM
oh the film sucked ass.... the comic is pretty sweet

Mr Regal
07-19-2007, 05:37 PM
The animated series was pretty sweet too. Apart form the McFarlane bits.

Reavant
07-19-2007, 05:38 PM
lol.... yea i got the dvd of the series i loved it

Reavant
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
i successfully derailed another marvel/dc thread by bringing spawn into the picture...... my apolgies

Silent
07-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Not really a big fan of comics but I do like the X-men a lot, so I'll say Marvel.

LoDownM
07-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Marvel. Always.

Only DC stuff i've ever enjoyed has been Green Lantern, but just barely.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Marvel. The only good things DC ever had going for them were Batman and Green Lantern.

Kalyx triaD
07-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I like Marvel's climate more, it's very character driven.

DC does have more epic stories, but you can get lost pretty easily.

Reality speaking; DC is made up of pompous dicks, Hell the company got half its roster from hostile buyouts. Storywise they don't take risks either.

Marvel writes storylines that seem petty once you sit back and look at them (Civil War was awesome, but the heroes are acting like children at every turn). They take more risks with storylines and changes that STICK (tales from the 60's and 70's are still in continuity), but over-use of Event Stories will bite them in the ass real soon.

Marvel has better videogames. DC has better movies.

Marvel characters change their costume every week, new people are wearing old costumes every week in DC.

I like them both, but I have more DC books than Marvel.

mitchables
07-19-2007, 09:54 PM
The fact that Marvel has always seemed to showcase more characters, especially the nobody's, always caught my attention. DC just seemed to focus on the core people (the seven Justice League starters and a few others) bothers me. They don't put a lot of detail in people who aren't Batman and Superman.

Yeah, but credit where credit is due, they're trying to give a lot more people a lot more airplay. Last year, DC released a weekly comic called 52 which basically was a year in the life of the DCU with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman all absent. The 6 'main' characters who took us through the story were The Question, Ralph Dibny, Black Adam, Renee Montoya, Steel, and Booster Gold. Will Magnus, Rip Hunter, Animal Man, Starfire, and Adam Strange were all focused on pretty heavily too. Plus, at the end of each issue they had a little "origin" segment which gave a nice background story description to help people out since they were focusing on so many nobodys. Even their followup weekly series, Countdown, hasn't featured any of the 'big characters' in any great capacity. Main characters so far seem to be Mary Marvel, Jason Todd, Donna Troy, Jimmy Olsen and The Rogues (specifically Trickster and Piper). So I don't really think it's fair to say that DC gives no effort to anyone outside of the core JLA arena. At least, not anymore. :-\

Funky Fly
07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I've read nearly every X-Men title and affiliated titles from 1963 to 1999. You tell me which company I like more.

It's not that I don't like DC. I just like Marvel better.

Also, I must also agree with the "Superman is shit" sentiment that has been expressed.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-19-2007, 10:08 PM
However, I will say World War Hulk is awesome.

Lock Jaw
07-19-2007, 10:51 PM
It makes me cry how many people hate Superman. For he is one of my favourite characters.

There was another thread in which we already had the big Superman argument though, so I won't start with that whole thing again. Especially since I find it nearly impossible to change someone's opinion on the matter of Superman. You either "get" Superman or you don't. Kind of like professional wrestling.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-19-2007, 11:51 PM
I get him, I just think he's too good. Like, he's overtly iconic and that bothers me.

Skippord
07-20-2007, 01:21 AM
Marvel by an obscene margin

Boondock Saint
07-20-2007, 03:18 AM
I read both, but if I had to choose, I'd go with DC.

DC's characters are just more interesting and fun to read. Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, JLA, JSA, Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Teen Titans, Flash, Blue Beetle, Checkmate, Legion of Superheroes, Gotham Central, Outsiders.

With Marvel I primarily read Avengers, Daredevil, Runaways, X-Factor, and Punisher. That's pretty much it. I dabble in and out of the Ultimate line. Also Criminal is awesome, under their "Icon" line.

But whatever, I enjoy what I read from both and that's all I care about.

Plus, DC has the Vertigo & Wildstorm lines (Fables, Jack of Fables, Hellblazer, 100 Bullets, Y The Last Man, Loveless, Preacher, Ex Machina, The Authority, Stormwatch.)

If anyone is looking for reading material outside of the big two, I suggest Noble Causes, Walking Dead, Fell, Invincible, Casanova all by Image Comics.

Basically I love comics.

Lock Jaw
07-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I'd give you rep for the avatar but I must spread more...

Fignuts
07-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Marvel. They just have better characters. However, DC is better at creating an "epic" atmosphere.

Kane Knight
07-21-2007, 09:27 AM
I just don't "get" Superman. There's so much "depth" to miss.

Kalyx triaD
07-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Superman is best displayed in comparison to other characters. My best memories of him are in Superman/Batman, Justice League, and event stories. I really don't read his own stuff (with exceptions in his Elseworld books; "Redson" is awesome). "Birthright" is another great exception, and don't you dare miss "Kingdom Come".

The Death of Superman Trilogy is an obvious read for historical purposes and his One Year Later book "Up Up and Away" is the only recent good one I know of his.

I personally recommend "Superman/Batman: Supergirl" (with awesome art by Micheal Turner) for a decent look at how Superman works when written well.

Kane Knight
07-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Good characters practically write themselves. This serves in all fiction, not just comic books. If someone is notoriously hard to write for, then they are generally bad characters. If they are only good based on who they are around, they are generally bad characters.

They know Superman's a bad character, which is why he's one of the most commonly retconned characters ever. They also know he's a popular character, or they probably would have REALLY killed him.

Captain America was easier to successfully portray, and he WAS killed off for many of the reasons Superman should be gone.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Cap :(

GD
08-01-2007, 02:02 PM
As a teen I loved reading Spider-Man and X-Men.

Mr Regal
08-01-2007, 07:31 PM
I am currently downloading the complete civil war collection with all the tie ins:y:

I hope it turns out to be a good read.

Lock Jaw
08-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Download Annihilation instead.

Mr Regal
08-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Or aswell as even!

Reavant
08-01-2007, 09:59 PM
how do u download the comics?

Nowhere Man
08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
They know Superman's a bad character, which is why he's one of the most commonly retconned characters ever. They also know he's a popular character, or they probably would have REALLY killed him.

I really don't think that's the case. James Bond keeps getting retconned with new series and continuities, and I never hear people complaining about it being because he's a "bad" character. Superman, like Bond, is rebooted every now and then to make him more accessible to modern audiences (though I'll admit four retcons since the Crisis is a bit much)

If you don't like Superman because you think he's not a "deep" character, then I'd highly suggest reading his stories under Elliot Maggin's run, or like Kalyx said, Mark Waid's "Birthright" or "Kingdom Come." There's an awful lot of character there, but nobody bothers to recognize it because the common conception of Superman is that of the Silver-Agey Chris Reeve movies, or the Superfriends cartoon (and honestly, Batman's the only DC hero who's lived that one down)

weather vane
08-02-2007, 01:47 AM
I like Batman and Lobo.

DC

FourFifty
08-02-2007, 02:27 AM
For comics, Marvel.
For movies, DC.

While Marvel might have some useless heroes, they don't have Aquaman.

Nowhere Man
08-02-2007, 02:47 AM
True, but at least DC's underwater guy wears pants.