PDA

View Full Version : TPWW: Our Own Wrestling Hall of Fame

Loose Cannon
07-22-2007, 01:40 PM
So, I've been thinking about setting up our own wrestling hall of fame here on TPWW. We've got a lot of intelligent posters here, who have good knowledge of wrestling history. I think it would be cool to set up our own wrestling hall of fame based on our own opinions.

I would just need some input on how to set it up.

First, How should we set up nominations

Second, Out of those nominations, how many wrestlers do we induct?

Do we induct every year or every couple of months? Like 6 months maybe.

Should we set up a page on the front page on the site for this?

Let me know if you guys think this would be fun to do or not? I'm kind of curious to see how our Hall of Fame would compare to WWE's. Especially since we have a variety of fans on here.

Just let me know. I don't have to be in charge or anything, but just wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

BigDaddyCool
07-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I think it would be fair if there were 2 slots for single wrestlers, one slot for a tag team (real tag teams, not just some thrown together piece of shit tag team like Kane and Show), one for a manager, and one for a womens wrestler, per year. So, that is like 5 inductees a year. I think yearly would be good.

We should then have a committee of posters trim down the nominations to a reasonable number, like 6 nominees for the single wrestler slots, 3 for tag teams, manager, and women's wrestler.

I also think there is a handful of people that automatically get in their contributions to wrestling, such as Vince McMahon, Bischoff, Ted Turner, Verne Gragner(sp?) and so on.

As for who can be nominated, I would preffer it if they were retired and actaully did something for wrestling, so Koko B. Wares or Marc Mero's.

I think to spice things up, every six months, we should have a secondary hall of fame for like special wings, like best hardcore wrestler, greatest gimmick, best stable or something along those lines. And we can switch up the categories there.

BigDaddyCool
07-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Oh, here is another thought, there are certain special interest groups on tpww, such as TPWW Kliq. Maybe at the special 6 month hall of fame deal, officially reconized groups like TPWW Kliq can have a special nomination for who ever they please.

This is just me thinking aloud. And I really don't pay attention, but I think there is other groups like TPWW Kliq that might want to get someone in.

True Brit Grit
07-22-2007, 02:17 PM
This sounds like a fantastic idea but as has been mentioned, we'd need to keep the inductions rare. There are a LOT of posters on here and therefore a lot of different opinions on a lot of different wrestlers. It should be the case I think that the opinion on an inductee is almost unanimous.

Perhaps we could have a comittee of sorts - and every once in a while they should research talent they feel deserves a spot and then comes back and posts their case to the rest of the TPPW public. Then, all of that occasion's arguments are voted on, and one guy gets put in on the strength and pursuation of the person who argued his case?

Any good?

Heyman
07-22-2007, 02:22 PM
A few nominees:

-The CyNick: Best wrestling poster in the history of Tpww IMO

-91: Although a massive prick, was also extremely intelligent about wrestling.

-Rob Harvey: Great insight. Lives vicariously through Bret Hart, Lennox Lewis, and Chuck Liddell.

-Kane Knight: Has been around since the Clinton administration, and still makes great points.

-Loose Cannon: Tremendous passion and overall knowledge of the industry.

-Heyman: Created the HIGHEST rated and most interesting wrestling topics in Tpww history (although a lot of the topics were absurd :P)

-BigDaddyCool: See Kane Knight. Also - always seemingly made it a point to go against popular consensus. I dig that. :y:

-Lamuella: Great back in the day.

-Alienoid06: People either love or hate his storyline ideas (most love it) but either way, Alienoid is one of the few guys that makes this place tick.

I don't follow wrestling (or the wrestling forum) much nowadays, and so I apologize in advance if I forgot a few people who deserve to be on here.

-Zen v.W.o.

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 02:46 PM
I'll be the Chairman of the Selection Committee.

Loose Cannon
07-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Heyman: no, not a TPWW Hall of Fame. Our own Wrestling Hall of Fame, like WWE has there's.

BigDaddyCool
07-22-2007, 02:48 PM
A few nominees:

-The CyNick: Best wrestling poster in the history of Tpww IMO

-91: Although a massive prick, was also extremely intelligent about wrestling.

-Rob Harvey: Great insight. Lives vicariously through Bret Hart, Lennox Lewis, and Chuck Liddell.

-Kane Knight: Has been around since the Clinton administration, and still makes great points.

-Loose Cannon: Tremendous passion and overall knowledge of the industry.

-Heyman: Created the HIGHEST rated and most interesting wrestling topics in Tpww history (although a lot of the topics were absurd :P)

-BigDaddyCool: See Kane Knight. Also - always seemingly made it a point to go against popular consensus. I dig that. :y:

-Lamuella: Great back in the day.

-Alienoid06: People either love or hate his storyline ideas (most love it) but either way, Alienoid is one of the few guys that makes this place tick.

I don't follow wrestling (or the wrestling forum) much nowadays, and so I apologize in advance if I forgot a few people who deserve to be on here.

-Zen v.W.o.

Um, I thought this is about a hall of fame for wrestlers, not poster. I'm glad you think I should be in a TPWW Poster hall of fame. Though, most of the people you named should be on the committee that TBG and I discussed.

BigDaddyCool
07-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I'll be the Chairman of the Selection Committee.

Off hand, I would name you, LC, myself, Kane Knight, Rob Harvey, Alienoid, and The One has a selection committee.

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I would put Xero ahead of Alienoid, no offense. I don't think the World is ready for Doug Basham in any kind of Hall of Fame.

:shifty:

Loose Cannon
07-22-2007, 03:04 PM
ok, good ideas.

I like BDC's idea of having tag teams, single, manager, women and maybe a special. I would prefer at least 3 singles instead of just two though.

So with the commitee, would we nominate what people would be on the ballot and then let TPWW cast thier vote?

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I think we should have 4 nominees each go around.

1 Top Tier wrestler (Hogan, Austin, Rock, Flair, etc)
1 Mid level guy (Hennig, Double A, Rude, etc)
1 Manager/Diva (Heenan, Cornette, Moolah, Sunny, etc)
1 Misc. (could be a celebrity, ref, commentator, ring announcer, etc)

Xero
07-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I think we should have 4 nominees each go around.

1 Top Tier wrestler (Hogan, Austin, Rock, Flair, etc)
1 Mid level guy (Hennig, Double A, Rude, etc)
1 Manager/Diva (Heenan, Cornette, Moolah, Sunny, etc)
1 Misc. (could be a celebrity, ref, commentator, ring announcer, etc)
Add in Tag Teams and I think that would be a good system.

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Add in Tag Teams and I think that would be a good system.

God dammit I dunno why I let that slip from my head.

But yeah add a tag team to the list.

Xero
07-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Would Stables fall into the Tag category? There really haven't been enough stables to put as it's own category but they need to fit in somewhere other than "Misc"...

Also, what about a Feud/Storyline category?

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 03:18 PM
And if we do 5 inductions, we should have a 5 person committee, which each person heads up each category. While all committee members will pick each inductee as a group, the heads of each category will pick the finalists in the category.

Also, I think only the committee members should have a say in who is inducted. I mean if we open up a poll to everyone, then the voting will be watered down by people who may not be familiar with a lot of older wrestlers history.

Guys like Rob, Kayfabe Man, Me, LC, The One, JamesSteele, and Xero Limit would make for great committee members.

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Would Stables fall into the Tag category? There really haven't been enough stables to put as it's own category but they need to fit in somewhere other than "Misc"...

Also, what about a Feud/Storyline category?

I think Stables, Feuds/Storylines would be kind've pushing it.

Maybe have a "Special Recognition" award once a year with those kind of nominees. But I wouldn't make it a regular occurance.

Xero
07-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Well, even with a committee having a "Nominate so-and-so" thread for ideas isn't a bad idea.

Xero
07-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I think Stables, Feuds/Storylines would be kind've pushing it.

Maybe have a "Special Recognition" award once a year with those kind of nominees. But I wouldn't make it a regular occurance.
True.

FakeLaser
07-22-2007, 03:26 PM
I'd like to get a head start on things and nominate Mantaur.

Loose Cannon
07-22-2007, 03:26 PM
yea, BDC's 6 month thing for feuds, stables, matches etc.. would fall under that.

ok, I'm all for the breakdown of inductions

(1) Top Guy
(1) Mid Guy
(1) Tag
(1) Manager
(1) Misk.

Unless anybody is of different opinion, I'm pretty sure it will be like that.

Now, we just need to decide on voting. I'd hate to allienate TPWW from this and just have a select few vote. If that's the case, we would have to have a comitee of like 20-30 people cause there are a lot of good knowlegable posters on here if you really think about it.

If we get all of TPWW involved, then the "comitte" of a couple of guys would nominate say 5-10 people from each category and then TPWW would vote. So you would elimiate guys like Kane being on a first ballot right off the bat.

Xero
07-22-2007, 03:28 PM
That's the best I'd say. Have the 'committee' pick x number of nominees and let TPWW vote on them.

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Well, even with a committee having a "Nominate so-and-so" thread for ideas isn't a bad idea.

Well even though this is just a web forum, I think if we had our own little HOF, we should treat it as such.

By opening up the flood gates, people would be nominating everyone in the sun. I would prefer we keep this simple and effective.

I mean if we make the committee consisting of 10 people instead of only 5 for our 5 categories, that would be good enough.

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Now, we just need to decide on voting. I'd hate to allienate TPWW from this and just have a select few vote. If that's the case, we would have to have a comitee of like 20-30 people cause there are a lot of good knowlegable posters on here if you really think about it.

If we get all of TPWW involved, then the "comitte" of a couple of guys would nominate say 5-10 people from each category and then TPWW would vote. So you would elimiate guys like Kane being on a first ballot right off the bat.

I just want people who absolutely KNOW what they are talking about and ones who will be unbiased.

By having nominations open to EVERYONE, then people will end up nominating everyone under the sun. Then we would in the end just do the same thing we would be doing in the first place and that would be to narrow it down to one in each category.

I say maybe 10-20 people that will be allowed access to the committee, then maybe 3-5 people will be responsible for picking their category's inductee.

McLegend
07-22-2007, 03:36 PM
like say the committee votes in 4 guys and then you have us (the Tpww community) vote in the 5 guy out of a group or something like that.

Loose Cannon
07-22-2007, 03:37 PM
KOOS: yea, that's what I'm saying. And then when we have our nominations, then TPWW could vote? Is this what you are thinking?

McLegend
07-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Well kinda.

I'm saying you guys pick the the majority of the hall of fame. Then out of the people left we have a poll or something and vote for the last guy in.

Just an idea

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 03:46 PM
KOOS: yea, that's what I'm saying. And then when we have our nominations, then TPWW could vote? Is this what you are thinking?

I don't think anyone outside of th 10-20 we put in the committee should vote.

Now we could have a Committe type election where people their names into the hat and everyone can vote for their choices for TPWW HOF Committe.

And then the top 10 or so people will be on the Committe and they will be the collective voice for TPWW in this. Then each member of the committe will come up with 5 nominees in each category. Then all of the unique nominees in each category will be grouped together and then TPWW can vote and the top 3 in each category will advance on where the Committe Heads in each category will then make the final vote from the 3 finalists.

How's that?

The Fugitive
07-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a brilliant idea.

Something I would like to address that has been mentioned.

I read somewhere in this thread that for a personality to be eligible for entry into the TPWW Hall of Fame, they must have been retired from the business. I think it's fair to say that nobody retires from wrestling until they kick the bucket, there are exceptions to the rule, that someone will actually stay retired but it's a rare thing, imo. I would suggest that instead, they must have been in the business for 15 years. Now if someone died before 15 years and they are Hall of Fame worthy, they cannot be selected for entry into the HoF until 15 years have passed since their debut.

There's other things I would like to share my two cents about, but that'll have to wait until after breakfast.

Again, brilliant idea that I hope takes off.

Loose Cannon
07-22-2007, 03:57 PM
ok, I think I get what you're saying. And it sounds like what I'm saying.

So, we have our comitte. The comittte will nominate said wrestlers for each categoy (5 each)

Then we group all them together

Then TPWW votes and the top 3 advances

Then out of those three, there will be a final determination to choose 1?

Is that basically it?

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Correct.

Loose Cannon
07-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Sounds like a brilliant idea.

Something I would like to address that has been mentioned.

I read somewhere in this thread that for a personality to be eligible for entry into the TPWW Hall of Fame, they must have been retired from the business. I think it's fair to say that nobody retires from wrestling until they kick the bucket, there are exceptions to the rule, that someone will actually stay retired but it's a rare thing, imo. I would suggest that instead, they must have been in the business for 15 years. Now if someone died before 15 years and they are Hall of Fame worthy, they cannot be selected for entry into the HoF until 15 years have passed since their debut.

There's other things I would like to share my two cents about, but that'll have to wait until after breakfast.

Again, brilliant idea that I hope takes off.

I agree on the retired bit. I mean, Flair, HBK, Hogan could all be first ballot nominations IMO.

The Fugitive
07-22-2007, 04:12 PM
A thought I just had. May I suggest that in additition to the categories already suggested, we have a Future Hall-of-Famer category, who we believe will do great things in the business or have a huge contribution to it? I guess the criteria would be 5 or less years in the business.

I don't know, maybe that could go in the Miscellaneous category.

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 04:18 PM
A thought I just had. May I suggest that in additition to the categories already suggested, we have a Future Hall-of-Famer category, who we believe will do great things in the business or have a huge contribution to it? I guess the criteria would be 5 or less years in the business.

I don't know, maybe that could go in the Miscellaneous category.

5 is enough.

And having some sort of Future HOFer is kind of redundant considering that this IS a Hall of Fame.

The Fugitive
07-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Okay, wrong choice of word. Future Legend.

I don't see how one more category would hurt, but as I said, maybe it could just be used for a misc. category and it was just an idea.

Loose Cannon
07-22-2007, 04:26 PM
yea, just keep it to legends. Maybe at the 6 month special thing it can be something we can vote on.

alright, I'm off. We need to start choosing the comittee sometime soon.

Mooияakeя™
07-22-2007, 04:33 PM
5 wrestlers for first year time, 3 after that (6 months)
1 "international" wrester (non American)
1 tag team
1 womens wrestler
1 "on screen" personaltiy (i.e. commentator / commish / gm etc. - basically non wrestler)

also maybe a "special" award for peeps who have been severely underused in their time, as we basically bitch about booking all the time on here! I think this is a must. It's not what a person has done, it's how he's come over to us fans.

I think that'd be cool. Then we all just vote. If the "legends of TPWW" have to form a nomination comitee, then fine, but I think once nominations are up, then they're put up in a vote.

FourFifty
07-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I think for the first three nmonths lets open up the flood gates and allow multiple people to join at once since there are a lot of wrestlers who will be waiting in line for a while.
So after 3 months, then put make it every 6 months.

Cactus Sid
07-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I would argue that putting in a large number of people all at once kind of defeats the purpose of having a hall of fame, its not so much of a celebration of talent. Likewise, I feel that it should be more often than a year, simply because people in this forum will lose interest if it happens yearly. You need to find a balance between these two factors.

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 08:23 PM
I say either every 3 or 6 months.

Loose Cannon
07-22-2007, 10:31 PM
I don't think seperating International and US based is a good idea. This is a Wrestling Hall of Fame. No need to seperate nominations. I guess every 6 months will work.

Should we add the women's category you think? I'm down if it's of popular opinion.

KingofOldSchool
07-22-2007, 10:36 PM
No, there is not enough women worthy enough.

BigDaddyCool
07-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I like most of what is being brain stormed right now. I think we have a good idea. Prehaps we should make an official TPWW Hall of Fame rules committee to hammer out all the details, then form a TPWW Hall of Fame selection committe and get this thing underway. I don't see a reason why the rules committee and selection committee can't have the same people. But I think the selection committee should be for lack of a better term, more elite, while the rules committee can hear from a more deverse group, but not too large so we can get things done.

Also, earlier, someone mentioned Xero should replace Alienoid...That is fine by me. Or we could simply add Xero in and keep 'noid.

Nervous Ferret
07-23-2007, 01:52 AM
As long as legend takes his rightful place I am ok

Loose Cannon
07-23-2007, 08:26 AM
I think we're pretty good.

The only 2 things I'm debating now is

(1) Do we need a Mid level guy nomination? Cause then you might be leaving off a few guys that deserve it more? Should we just do (2) Singles?

(2) I say we may need to limit the comitte nomination for each category down to three? Reason is it might get really crowded and abundant with wrestlers?

Just two thoughts. Let me know what you think? I want to start PM'ing commitee members and start the nominations up today if possible.

KingofOldSchool
07-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I think it's better if we have a mid level guy as oppose to 2 top tier guys simply because in a way I think this should be like a wrestling card. ie: opener (misc.), then your undercard (manager/women, tag team, upper midcard), and then your main event.

And I figured 5 nominees per person, for each category would be ideal if only because it gives people more options in the first round of voting and that would make it easier to cut it down to three from the voting. But I suppose we can meet half way and do 4 nominees in each category instead of 5.

Loose Cannon
07-23-2007, 09:35 AM
agreed.

Loose Cannon
07-23-2007, 10:03 AM
also, one more question. How long are we keeping voting opened for TPWW?

KingofOldSchool
07-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I think for the first one we should make it a week and if votes stop coming in after a few days, then the next time we can trim it to about 3 days.

BigDaddyCool
07-23-2007, 10:10 AM
also, one more question. How long are we keeping voting opened for TPWW?

Um, lets give it 3 full days after we bring the ballots out.

Loose Cannon
07-23-2007, 10:44 AM
k, PM's have been sent to the selected committe.

Loose Cannon
07-23-2007, 10:53 AM
this first ballot is going to be tough. I can tell. So many guys

James Steele
07-23-2007, 11:23 AM
this first ballot is going to be tough. I can tell. So many guys

Especially considering how far back people are wanting to go back in history.

The Fugitive
07-23-2007, 12:03 PM
What? Are Gotch and Hackenschmidt being suggested for entry? That far back?

Loose Cannon
07-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Nope, so far the nominees are pretty recent. like 70's till now. Although one of mine went farther back. But I think he deserves it since he was a huge influence on wrestling "characters/gimmicks"

Loose Cannon
07-23-2007, 01:41 PM
thanks for the nominees guys. Got 6 of you, including mine.

BigDaddyCool
07-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, when did tag team wrestling begin?

The Fugitive
07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
PWI says in 1901 in San Francisco. No list of participants or an actual date though.

Loose Cannon
07-23-2007, 08:26 PM
down to 4 left

Loose Cannon
07-23-2007, 10:10 PM
btw, jes pac4 on AIM if any of you want to talk to me that way about this instead of PM's

Nervous Ferret
07-24-2007, 02:04 AM
So is legend in this or what

Loose Cannon
07-24-2007, 09:54 AM
down to 1 person left to send their stuff and I'll set up the voting opened to the TPWW public.

Loose Cannon
07-24-2007, 04:09 PM
ok, pretty sure I will recieve the last set of nominees tonight. I will then make the polls tonight around 11-12 EST if I recieve them. I'm going to Sticky all Five Categories if that's cool with you guys. We'll give it about a 3-4 day open to the Public.

Indifferent Clox
07-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Dude, I fucking love TPWW.

Also High.

McLegend
07-24-2007, 09:28 PM
So is legend in this or what
legend was screwed, ferret

mrslackalack
07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
I sent my nominations in. LET THE VOTING BEGIN!

Loose Cannon
07-24-2007, 11:25 PM
setting it up. Steele is making a banner for me.

Loose Cannon
07-25-2007, 01:26 AM
will be up tomorrow morning. Steele was nice enough to make a banner and he's still working on it. I want the layout to look nice.

I've got everythng ready to go

Loose Cannon
08-10-2007, 04:24 PM
alright, everything is pretty much finished. I am still waiting for a couple more votes form a few committee members to put a final stamp on this.

I want to recieve everything by Sunday at least so I can set up the induction ceremony or whatever you even want to call it. I want to try and set up a section on TPWW's front page for this and all future HOF Inductions. Make it look really nice.

Any input on set up would be appreciated.

The Mackem
04-22-2008, 06:50 AM
How's it going?

Fabien Barthez
04-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Slowly :D

Avenger
04-22-2008, 08:53 AM
lol

Loose Cannon
04-22-2008, 09:43 AM
euro humor I guess :?:

The Mackem
04-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Was just wondering how the Hall of Fame is all coming along with the links on the main site etc...

Loose Cannon
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
ask AAA.

I don't have the ability to set a section up my friend

The Mackem
04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Threaten him!

Rob
04-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Because that works.

The Mackem
04-22-2008, 02:15 PM
See, Rob Hardy knows.

Indifferent Clox
04-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Dude, I fucking love TPWW.

Also High.

so do not remember posting this.

The Mackem
04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Loose Cannon you have permission from Triple A

NeanderCarl
04-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Wow, is it the better part of a year since the first one?? Isn't it about time for another round of entries?

NeanderCarl
01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
I refer to my previous post.

With WrestleMania and the WWE Hall of Fame on the horizon, should we start looking at the TPWW Wrestling Hall of Fame Class of 2009?

NeanderCarl
01-18-2009, 04:31 PM
C'mon, Loose Cannon... ass in gear...

Theo Dious
01-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Dude, LC hasn't even been seen since like November.

NeanderCarl
01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm almost annoyed.

NeanderCarl
01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Where he go?

Theo Dious
01-19-2009, 12:02 AM
No clue. He seems to have sort of vanished.