PDA

View Full Version : The next two months for WWE is really make it or break it.

darkpower
08-05-2007, 04:05 AM
It was a year and a half ago that Vermat (remember him) or someone in that league said that WM22 was going to be "make it or break it for the WWE". Suddenly it was the goto quote for all of us (one of the many) that came up. We all thought he was a sort of faggot who deserved to have someone stab him in the head or something.

Instead, we should've said that he was ahead of his time and he should've commented on the current situation that the WWE is in right now, because we now know that RAW ratings are simply the worst its ever been, and seeing as how if RAW suffers, for some reason everything in the WWE suffers (even though Michael Hayes is killing SmackDown on his own, we're seeing Vince helping him by taking any star that is established and putting him onto RAW or ECW), Vince is now an "outside the box" person (yeah, like THAT'S going to last long).

Given that basic standpoint, it's actually these next few months that will tell the tale of if the WWE can really change direction. At least we can hope it's a few months, Vince needs to be a patient man and let the writers do what they need to do. This was a steady decline of people that have been disappointed with the product for months, maybe even years, and if they really expect for them to come back, they cannot expect them to come back in droves within a week or two, since the expectations right now are that it will be a month before Vince reverts right back to what has been killing the WWE to begin with. Basically put, and I'm really going to get heat for this, but I've been getting heat lately on this board anyway for some reason, so what the hell, the two month period coming up will truly be "make it or break it for the WWE".

Anyone else think that phrase now actually DOES fits here?

chrisat928
08-05-2007, 04:22 AM
They have until the RAW after WM24.

The MAC
08-05-2007, 04:34 AM
i think its already broken.

Extreme Angle
08-05-2007, 04:40 AM
I still watch Raw but It's not like omg Raw is on because It's hardly enjoyable anymore.
I'm pysced for Triple H at Summerslam but yeah...
I've actually been watching TNA in the mornings while cooking my breakfast, Its pretty good IMO, watched Lethal Lockdown and the one where Team 3D took on LAX and Tomko and Steiner.
But Yeah...
Make it or Break it!

Sepholio
08-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Can't really say make it or break it, to be honest, as I'm not going to quit watching them until they have a viable competitor, which TNA is not.

In fact, when looking at the competetion they have on TV, it isn't hard to see why they don't try anymore. They could have 2 hours of Khali taking a shit on RAW and it is still better than what TNA puts on TV in my opinion.

No, that's a stretch there. 2 hours of anyone besides Khali taking a shit. That's better.

GD
08-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Let me keep it simple. The more WWE grows the more corporate form it develops like the WCW. WWE has lost many of it's audience lately. There are a lot of stupid things they have done. The importance of the Intercontinental title has been lost since the attitude era. Midget become Cruiserweight Champion and the Cruiserweight becomes the Heavyweight Champion. Don't they realise the importance of weight limits. One day they will have a super heavyweight like Umaga hold the Cruiserweight title. JR says it right when he says anything is possible in the WWF/E. Entertainment is not of more importance than wrestling. They destroyed Cena and his gimmick. Cena was gold back in the days. Triple-H's quest to remain as the number 1 star on Raw lead to Goldberg's poor run. TNA has better programming. The battles between Daniels, Styles and Joe were gold. The rivalry between LAX and the team of Styles and Daniels was worth watching. They have a cool X-Division featuring athletes like Chris Sabin, Senshi, P.Williams and many more. If you put Cena in a pure wrestling match even Balls Mahoney and Val Venus are capable of defeating him. Lesnar was hyped as the Next Big Thing and was really living up to the name. But his last few months in the WWE were horrible barely getting any victories. The normal fan started to hate him because he used to tap out casually and not to mention his match with Zach on SD! WWE is currently continuing their legacy of destroying their new talents. eg. Paul Burchill, Masters and Carlito. Carlito won the IC and the US titles on his respective debut on Raw and SD! We have WWE job him to Natch. How is it gonna help him? What about Dysktra? He started off beating Natch on every possible occassion. Suddenly everyone forgets his existence. He gets drafted to SD! and jobs to a 30 year old Jobber. WWE is simply surviving on its past legacy.Back to the topic... Break it or Make it? Hell Yeah it's so fucking TRUE!!!

Mr. Nerfect
08-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Vermaat used to think the WWE were doomed if they didn't have John Cena hold the WWE Championship forever. John Cena has been holding the WWE Championship forever, and they are still doomed. Vermaat was not exactly a prophet.

GD
08-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Vermaat used to think the WWE were doomed if they didn't have John Cena hold the WWE Championship forever. John Cena has been holding the WWE Championship forever, and they are still doomed. Vermaat was not exactly a prophet.

Logically Cena held the WWE Championship for the last time back in 2005 after defeating JBL in an I Quit Match. Last time I saw the WWE title belt it was carried into the ring by Eric Bischoff and Mr.McMahon took it back and walked away. Doesn't the spinner toy belt spit disgrace to the legacy of the title? It's fucking awful. Look at Angle's belts.

Russenmafia
08-05-2007, 07:55 AM
If Vince is now thinking "out the box" the first thing he can do is "forget" to hold a Diva Search this year.

Kane Knight
08-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Can't really say make it or break it, to be honest, as I'm not going to quit watching them until they have a viable competitor, which TNA is not.

Yes, but smarks are horrendous mutants who will watch any shit laid out before them because of deep seated mental retardation.

The casual fans determine the market, and the market's bad. Most people, instead of watching bad programming because the competition's worse, will opt to stop watching entirely. And that CAN kill televised wrestling. I'm not saying it will (Nor am I saying wrestling will always be around, like some people), but it readily could.

The MAC
08-05-2007, 12:59 PM
chris jericho vs who? Cena ? we've seen that.

Heyman
08-05-2007, 06:27 PM
If the WWE are to "make it" (and not break it)

The current situation:

-The WWE are in a dismal state right now. There are hardly any new stars being created, the main-eventers are pretty much the same, and the great wrestling talents of yester-year (i.e. Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, and Shawn Michaels) have either passed away, are no longer with the company, or are aging (and balding ;)).

The Key Guys IMO:
-John Cena
-Randy Orton
-Ken Kennedy
-MVP
-Elijah Burke
-CM Punk
-Matt Hardy
-Jeff Hardy

(I don't watch wrestling much nowadays, and so I might be missing a few key names).

Anyway - the WWE need to do more with Cena and Orton. Cena needs to start beating some REAL opponents (i.e. Batista, Taker, The Rock, etc.). The longer Cena keeps feuding with greenhorns such as Lashley, Umaga, etc., the more people will get bored of Cena (the "we LOVE to HATE Cena will start becoming the dreaded X-Pac heat....as we're slowly starting to see).

-Randy Orton needs to be the "inverse of John Cena" (i.e. a heel that keeps getting Cheered like crazy). LET the fans CHEER the guy as a heel. The longer the WWE lets Orton be CHEERED as a HEEL, the greater the face Orton could be down the road. Have Orton get victories over 'big names' himself.

-I've given up on Carlitto and Shelton Benjamin for now. Fuck them. Unless they are willing to make some real life attitude changes, I say keep em' where they are. Good riddance.

-Ken Kennedy, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, MVP, and CM Punk are guys that the WWE NEEDS to step up. At some point, have Ken Kennedy go over Bobby Lashley. Have Matt Hardy go over someone major on Smackdown. Jeff Hardy should eventually go over Umaga...cleanly.

If Matt Hardy gets built up right, I'd even have him get a victory over Great Kali at some point.

Bottom line? The people who are generating the biggest crowd reactions in the WWE, need to start getting significant victories (amazing concept, I know! :eek: ).

Jordan
08-05-2007, 08:00 PM
WWE will be fine, its just a slump and its not really that bad.

Kane Knight
08-05-2007, 08:03 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You're joking, right?

Jordan
08-05-2007, 08:12 PM
If WWE could survive 1997 they can survive 2007. I don't know what makes your think they are doomed, maybe you just want something to complain about.

Mr. Nerfect
08-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Heyman, you're a great poster, it's going to be sad to see you go if you stop watching entirely.

To be honest, though, I disagree with some of your proposals. The theory of pushing guys with great reactions is definitely the way to go, but I really don't think John Cena and Randy Orton can be included in that. Look, I'm not saying they're not over, they are, it's just that people don't want to see more of John Cena. They've seen enough to last them a lifetime.

If Cena has special matches with guys like The Rock and The Undertaker, the fans are going to be on latter's side. It doesn't help when you are trying to push Cena as a top face. If they stopped trying to push him as a hero, having him storm onto the stage like a retard, and playing a real character, something like this might have a shot. John Cena at present, going over guys like Batista and The Undertaker, will only hurt the WWE worse than what they are, in my opinion. Someone like The Undertaker, as much as I hate to admit it, might be keeping some fans who don't like Cena around (a lot have already left). If Cena's superman push is taken to another level, things could go really nasty.

Randy Orton is not a man I would hang my hat on, either. He's talented, and he's been quite enjoyable since Edge moved to SmackDown!, but he's still immature as fuck. I am willing to place money that when Orton wins the WWE Title, he's going to return to being such a shithead. The trouble with Orton is not over, and it's not going to be until he realises he can't fuck up and expect to get away with it. After he fucked up around Backlash this year, he should have jobbed the fuck out and had everyone from Jeff Hardy to Val Venis get wins over him. Guys have come back from more, but it might let Randy know who is in charge. There are plenty of guys in the WWE with a good attitute that deserve the top spot more.

I agree, though. Keep Orton a heel. Just put him lower on the card and have him work a few stiff matches here and there.

Mr. Kennedy probably has the brightest future out of anyone under WWE contract. I think a one night program with someone like The Rock is all that is needed to get Kennedy there. Have The Rock show up on RAW, Kennedy come out and remind him that he's an actor now, and to get out of a wrestling ring, match between the two that night, Kennedy goes over cleanly.

Everyone goes on and on about Carlito's attitude, but it can't be worse than Orton's. Apparently he doesn't have a passion for the business. I'd lose my spark, too, if I were beaten down by the WWE like he has. The man is just so entertaining as a heel. Give him a bit of a push, not right to the top, but try and light the fire he had before the WWE fucked up with him.

On SmackDown!, Batista should squash The Great Khali. I am serious. At Summerslam, Batista should beat Khali in like a minute. Khali is a useless piece of shit, and Batista, while not much better these days, might recapture some edge back, and re-capture the magic he had in 2005. The guy is still over like fucking. Matt Hardy and MVP should definitely be elevated. Hardy needs to win the US Title first, though.

When Edge returns, it should not be long before he captures the World Heavyweight Championship, and then an Edge vs. Matt Hardy match should definitely be on the WWE's agenda. The two could restart their rivalry very easily, and both are much better in the ring now than they were back in 2005.

I think the WWE should definitely listen to the fans more, and loosen up what makes a face and a heel. In fact, that decision should pretty much entirely be up to the fans, who choose to boo and cheer who they want.

Kane Knight
08-05-2007, 09:13 PM
If WWE could survive 1997 they can survive 2007. I don't know what makes your think they are doomed, maybe you just want something to complain about.

You know, if I wanted something to complain about, and that was all, I could find plenty of things. You'll note I'm not making "WWE sucks" threads or whining about not watching it.

Yeah.

That being said, LOL at the comparison.

And the stupid assumption. Jordan, I only thought your statement that the "slump" wasn't that bad was laughable.

A non-fucktard might have not accused me of thinking them doomed, when I had recently written

And that CAN kill televised wrestling. I'm not saying it will (Nor am I saying wrestling will always be around, like some people), but it readily could.

I don't think they're doomed. I thin you're an idiot for dismissing the possibility, but I don't think they are doomed.

However, your assumption that they would be fine because it wasn't all that bad is every bit idiotic.

darkpower
08-05-2007, 11:53 PM

You know, that has to be a stupider statement than I've been making lately (or at least what people THINK I've been making lately).

Kane Knight
08-06-2007, 08:53 AM
You know, that has to be a stupider statement than I've been making lately.

Agreed.

addy2hotty
08-06-2007, 09:15 AM
In two months time, John Cena will still be either WWE champ or challenging for it. Batista will be World Heavyweight Champion, and John Morrison & CM Punk will still be the only match and feud of any note in ECW.

Things will be no different. Vince, despite the evidence, still doesn't think it's particularly broken and the real problem is him being off-screen.

The WWE needs an overhaul, from top to bottom.

Kane Knight
08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately, as long as thast "top" includes the name "McMahon" we're likely fucked.

Anybody Thrilla
08-06-2007, 12:10 PM
'Make it or break it' doesn't really apply. They've been 'made' for quite some time. Now it's just 'hopefully don't break it'.

Kane Knight
08-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, but it ties to Vermaat.

Anybody Thrilla
08-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Why anybody would want to do that is beyond me.

TerranRich
08-07-2007, 10:10 AM
LOL at darkpower giving Vermaat any credit.

That is UNACCEPTABLE!!

Kane Knight
08-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Why anybody would want to do that is beyond me.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: