PDA

View Full Version : If Kurt Angle defeats Samoa Joe...

Mercury Bullet
08-08-2007, 06:54 PM
...and merges the X-Division title with the World Title, and becomes Tag Team Champion(s) who will his partner be?

I'm willing to bet it is gonna be Pacman Jones. Thoughts or theories?

TerranRich
08-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I still think it's goddamn ridiculous that one person is the Tag Team Champion. Give me a fucking break.

Mercury Bullet
08-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Yeh, this is about the weakest crap TNA can be pulling right now. And I think ANY way this can go is going to be bad.

chrisat928
08-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Shouldn't that be "When Kurt Angle beats Samoa Joe...?"

Mercury Bullet
08-08-2007, 09:23 PM
I dont know that I'm 100% certain Angle is going over. Rumors say so, my gut says so, but I could see TNA wanting to push a 'TNA Born Star' right now. I think that would be the smart thing for them to do, which likely means they won't do it.

chrisat928
08-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I really think Angle is going to win.

Reasons:
1) Samoa Joe refused to sign a longterm contract.
2) The IWGP title can't be defended outside of Japan. I think.
3) This will be the third time Samoa Joe has sniffed the title, the first time they gave it to Christian, the second time they had Christian go over Joe. I don't think they are going to have Joe go over Angle.

I think they had to throw in all the titles to make this match seem interesting. TNA really messed up when they ran the Angle/Joe feud so early in Angles TNA run. Just imagine if they did the Sabu/Taz year long build up. Then the match would have been huge.

Jeritron
08-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Angle/Joe should have been the world title fued for Bound for Glory and it should have been teased early, revisited as a tag team halfway, and started to heat up around now.

Instead they blew it when they could have gotten the same results with an Angle/Christin or Angle/Sting fued off the bat in Angle's run.

Dorkchop
08-08-2007, 09:59 PM
I'd love for it to be Christian because those two can be pretty fucking funny together. Let them have the belts for a couple of months, then drop them cleanly to LAX or a real tag team (LAX would be sweet).

mrslackalack
08-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Angle and Dr. Nash your World Tag Team Champions.

Pepsi Man
08-08-2007, 11:09 PM
I still think it's goddamn ridiculous that one person is the Tag Team Champion. Give me a fucking break.
I fully agree.

Jeritron
08-08-2007, 11:39 PM
except when it was Kane. That was awesome...

Honestly, I thought it was. But seriously, I agree. Putting all the promotions belts on the line in one match, a cool premise, but in a one on one match? Stupid. At least it could have been a tag team fued.

FourFifty
08-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I heard a couple of people talk about this at work today. Younger kids, couldn't have been over 16. Here's how they viewd it.

BUT IT"S NEW! NO ONE ELSE HAS DONE IT BEFORE!!! WINNER TAKES ALL!!! NO ONE ELSE HAS DONE IT SO IT'S NEW AND COOL AND IT'LL BE COOL!!!!

Pfft. Do you know why some things haven't been done? Because they're not worth doing. Just look at the XFL, that body building thing WWF did a while ago, the Brawl for All, WCW's monster trucks, that one cage match in WCW where Cactus Jack put The Butcher in an eletric chair, that one three story high cage match that was Hogan and Savage VS the entire roster, Abe "Knuckleball" Shwartz....
It hasn't been done because it's not worth doing. End of story.

Mr. Nerfect
08-09-2007, 06:09 AM
I don't actually mind it, to be honest. I think this is the first time two World Championships have been defended by one Champion at the same time, isn't it? I can see the case for why the TNA X-Division Championship and TNA World Tag Team Championship should be contested elsewhere, but I guess the idea behind this is to make the guy who walks out look pretty damn good.

If Samoa Joe goes over here, he will win two World Championships. That's a big thing for a guy to do. If Angle retains, he looks like the best in the business, which he arguably is. It goes a long way to backing up his claims, and it sets him up for the big fall, which will hopefully put a guy over like rover.

I'm also one of the few that doesn't criticise TNA for how they handled Angle vs. Joe when Angle first came to TNA. It wasn't as epic as it could have been, no, but who knows how much longer Angle had left? People were placing bets on when he would croak. I can understand why it would be "now or never" for TNA.

Making Kurt Angle the first-ever TNA World Heavyweight Champion was also understandble, in my opinion. A lot of people were upset when Joe didn't win, but I think Angle is the smarter move. Why? The same reason Booker T won the 2006 King of the Ring, and why Chris Benoit was likely going to defeat CM Punk at Vengeance for the vacant ECW World Championship. It's what I like to call an "establishing win." The guy who goes over may be older, may not be around in ten years, and might not be a "company original," but they are the time-tested star, with accomplishments and perspective within the business. By making Angle TNA Champion, they put the belt on his level. Angle was a former six-time (arguably seven, or even eight) World Champion when he won the belt. Samoa Joe is, unfortunately, nothing to nobody. Joe should be TNA Champ down the line, don't get me wrong, but he should take it from somebody, rather than just wake up with it there.

Anyway, onto the topic at hand, which is my guess as to who Angle's partner is going to be. I read something on another site, and I think it is something TNA could do. This idea suggested that Angle will have a heel tag team (The Murder City Machine Guns and Team 3D were proposed) help Angle defeat Joe, and as a reward, Angle will allow them to be the TNA World Tag Team Champions. I think it would be messy to have Samoa Joe lose the Tag Team Championship back to Team 3D, so let my guess be Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley for new Champs, with a heel stable of Kurt Angle, Kevin Nash, Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley being forged in the fires of awesome.

TNA usually has a fairly good memory (compared to the WWE, anyway), so I think they will suddenly remember that Christopher Daniels is #1 Contender for the X-Division Championship, and they will have Triple X begin a feud with Angle, Sabin and Shelley. A six-man tag would be a lot of fun.

Dave Youell
08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
I really can't see Angle jobbing here, no matter what happens someone loses out.

I don't think there's going to be a winner here

Pepsi Man
08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Wait, am I missing something? When was the IWGP Title put on the line too?

Dave Youell
08-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Wait, am I missing something? When was the IWGP Title put on the line too?
When the match was announced

Pepsi Man
08-09-2007, 11:10 AM
When the match was announced
hmmmmmmmmm, *shrug*

Somehow, I don't recall it being mentioned as being in the match. I mean, I know they said "winner take all", and I remember them mentioning the other three titles, but I seem to remember the IWGP Title being left out. Ah well.

FourFifty
08-09-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't think there's going to be a winner here

Not even the fans.

Dave Youell
08-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Not even the fans.
Well, they will be happy, until Angle's wife comes in the ring to apparently attack Angle, only to turn on Joe intead, Joe will have to sell offense from a 120lb women, then there will be several run ins, featuring guys who have already been on the card, thus ruining any big pop moment, the whole point being to set up Jarrett Vs Angle at the next big show. But also having Test in there somewhere for the next PPV main event as filler.

Joe at this point would have been selling a slap for 25 minutes

If you as a fan feel ripped off by that, then yes you could argue the fans don’t win, the announcers however will make it seem like the 2nd coming of Christ, only better!

FourFifty
08-09-2007, 11:27 AM
the announcers however will make it seem like the 2nd coming of Christ, only better!

....They hired Joey Styles?

Mr. Nerfect
08-09-2007, 06:28 PM
....They hired <s>Joey Styles?</s> <s>Jim Ross?</s> <s>Michael Cole?</s> <s>Tony Shiavone?</s> Vince McMahon?

Mr. Nerfect
08-09-2007, 06:34 PM
hmmmmmmmmm, *shrug*

Somehow, I don't recall it being mentioned as being in the match. I mean, I know they said "winner take all", and I remember them mentioning the other three titles, but I seem to remember the IWGP Title being left out. Ah well.

To be perfectly honest, I agree with you. I never saw anything saying the "IWGP" World Heavyweight Championship wouldn't be defended, but the early reports I read just mentioned the TNA championships. I think that may have been a misinterpretation by people early on, with TNA further elaborating at a later date, confirming that all four championships would be defended.

Now, here TNA has gone and done a silly thing. For those of you who don't like the idea behind this match, you now have another reason to hate it. Apparently Abyss, Sting & "A-Mart" Andrew Martin vs. Christian Cage, AJ Styles & Tomko will headline the show. So not only is every TNA championship, and one IGF championship on the line in one match, but it won't even be main event!

I'm personally taking this to mean that Samoa Joe has still not agreed to a TNA contract, and the Jarrett-Panda Alliance don't want to put him in a role that is too big for a guy about to take a walk. I thought TNA would, unfortunately, successfully use the prospect of being TNA World Heavyweight Champion, "IWGP" World Heavyweight Champion, TNA X-Division Champion and TNA World Tag Team Champion to lure Samoa Joe into the meeting room, and successfully get him to pen his soul to TNA for another two years or so. I hope this means Joe has stuck to his guns, and might end up in ROH by the year's end.

IC Champion
08-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Cause ROH is a real career move for him.

Mr. Nerfect
08-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Cause ROH is a real career move for him.

Define "career." If by "career" you mean being allowed to do what you love and do it well, then it would be. Joe was never better than when he was in ROH. If by career you mean making a fair bit on money, but being on the road most of the year, wearing a diaper as "Somba the Samoan Manchild," then maybe not.

Joe wanted to put his dignity before his paycheck, it's why he chose TNA over WWE. Granted, he is holding out for a better deal with TNA, but that is the price of morale sometimes. If the WWE can offer Joe enough money that he is comfortable wearing down his body with complete rights to his very existence handed over, more power to him.

Jordan
08-09-2007, 08:17 PM
WWE doesn't need Joe, he isn't any better than Umaga. In the past he was but he has like half the charisma.