PDA

View Full Version : A little help? (Requesting assistance on a console purchase)

dablackguy
08-27-2007, 01:18 PM
So over the weekend I was on vacation with some friends and some loser brought an Xbox 360 and a few games. So after throughly stomping him out in Madden, I played a few of the games he had. I was somewhat impressed. He had Madden which I liked a lot, 2k baseball, which was meh and Ghost Recon which was pretty solid.

Thing is, I've always been more of a PS guy form the PS1 and 2 but the PS3 looks like garbage and I'm in need of a new console as I've gotten pretty much all I'm gonna get out of my PS2. I liked Madden and would play most of the sports games, but I'm also looking for a bunch of games that'd be fun to play when a couple of the guys come over. I don't love FPS (I tire of them quickly, so I wouldn't necessarily be into Gears of War and the like) I'm big into sports games I'll also want something that I can play alone and still enjoy. In that regard what does the 360 offer me? Should I wait for the PS3 to take off?

The only thing I absolutely hated was the system overheating and locking up, which it did a few times in 3 days. If I had to deal with that consistently, I'd probably put the system back in the box, take it back and get like a Wii or something.

Any and all help would be appreciated and if anyone has any questions I'll probably check the thread fairly consistently for the next day or two.

Thanks a lot in advance, everyone!

Nervous Ferret
08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
dablackguy

Fignuts
08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Guitar Hero II.

Awesome party game. Even the girls will get into it. And still really fun to play by yourself.

DAMN iNATOR
08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Do yourself a favor and save up and get a Wii. You won't regret it.:yes:

Fignuts
08-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, the wii is a good system for having people over to play, but there's not a whole lot out there atm, thats fun to play alone. I'd still go with 360. Bomberman fucking Live

G
08-28-2007, 09:08 AM
i thought blacks weren't allowed possessions?

Mr Regal
08-28-2007, 09:18 AM
G don't be such a dumb fucking racist!

If the plantation owner says it's ok...it's OK!

Bad Company
08-28-2007, 10:20 AM
360 shits all over everything. And if it starts fucking out, return it under warranty.

Xero
08-28-2007, 10:24 AM
360 if you want "real" games with the most up to date graphics and bigger current library.

Wii if you don't care about graphics and are more interested in niche games/"party" games. (Don't shit yourselves people, the Wii is for the casual gamers, it was never meant for 'proper'/longer/'hardcore' gaming and I will always stand by that.) Only real advantage here is the Virtual Console and if you bought/owned the original systems you could pick up the games for less than a VC game, including shipping off of eBay (in most cases).

PS3 if you want a Blu-Ray player that plays a few games, most of which the 360 can play.

mrslackalack
08-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Wii is great for solo/multi games.

360 is a great console for sports games and Halo 3 will be out soon and that will def be a great game solo and mulit.

OssMan
08-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Here is the thing though does PS3 still have free online playing while XBOX charges like $50 a year

dablackguy
08-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the help so far, and yes the master said I could have a new console

I'm what you'd call a hardcore, I've been gaming since 3 (on the original NES, now 23) moved on to the SNES and was somewhat of a Nintendo fanboy. Asked for an N64 for Christmas the year it came out and wound up with a PS under the tree. Do not regret that one at all. Then the PS2. Now with the PS3 looking like crap and Sony basically being arrogant assholes I'm probably not going to be going the PS3 route until at least much later on, if at all.

So its either a 360 or a Wii, and the Wii seems so gimmicky to me, basically a fad, but I want to gague everyone's opinion on the 360 and the Wii before I go out and piss away the money. Also, want to see if they'll be enough to play for the sports and fighting game lover who also loves the great single player platformer/adventure game and also wants easy to pick up and play games for when friends come by.

Thanks again for the help everyone

Bad Company
08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
I've owned the 360 since Launch, had a PS3 for about 3 weeks before I swapped it for as wii because the PS3 was so shit. The Wii is pretty gimmicky, games are average, and it's not the kind of console where you can just sit down, chill out, and play some games. When I get high, I can't be arsed swinging my hands in the air to play a game.

I liked the 360 so much, I bought a new one when my old one died. The controllers are great, xbox live is great, the games are great. It's an awesome package. I'm not interested in High-def movies so I didn't bother with the HD-DVD Option, Blu-Ray is better anyway.

Fignuts
08-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Here is the thing though does PS3 still have free online playing while XBOX charges like $50 a year

Yeah, but Xbox Live is waaaaaaaaay better. Also, its 50 god damn bucks for ayear. Do you work in a sweatshop or something?

HeartBreakMan2k
08-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, but Xbox Live is waaaaaaaaay better. Also, its 50 god damn bucks for ayear. Do you work in a sweatshop or something?

Seriously, you get what you pay for in the online deal. Sony's online is shit all, where as X-Box Live is perhaps one of the greatest things to hit gaming.

This coming from a former Sony turned Microsoft fan boy via 360.q`

OssMan
08-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Fig I live in a world where I am in high school and I dont have a credit card

PapaGeorgio
08-28-2007, 02:34 PM
From sounds of it I'd say 360 is best for you. With the Wii, you know how it is being played. Call it gimmicky or whatever you want but different gameplay. Also not as many sport titles for you. Plus with 360 you can always get the new Scene It game coming out for it for a party game... :shifty:

OssMan
08-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Might actually get a 360 but what freaking game is there Madden, might get Blue Dragon even though it will prob suck.

Fignuts
08-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Fig I live in a world where I am in high school and I dont have a credit card

You are 16 tho. You can work.

The One
08-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Wii.

Get a Wii right now.

Did you get a Wii yet?

What the fuck are you doing still reading this?

Go get the fucking Wii already.

Team Sheep
08-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Getting a Wii in like a week or so :D The fact that there would be no good wrestling game for it is what was holding me back, but as soon as SD vs Raw was announced, the Wii was a no brainer for me.

Dorkchop
08-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Wii is fun. The great games are slowly coming out. It is gimmicky, but it's a damn fun gimmick. I can't wait to play Metroid. Reviews are pretty much saying it has the best controls in any first person shooter/adventure game ever (on a console).

From the sounds of it, it seems like the 360 is better for you. It's a console for the hardcore gamer. The Wii will have a few great hardcore games in its lifetime though. I want a 360.

OssMan
08-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Got XBOX 360 (which is retarded by the way you forgot to tell me cause I got it used and it didn't come with a hard drive which I now lack) and it turns out you can get xbox live by filling out a card or something and paying with cash, dont even need credit card. I take back everything I said.