PDA

View Full Version : How do you solve a problem like Santino?

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 08:39 PM
The WWE's usage of Santino Marella has been quite confusing to me. The guy generally gets a good deal of air time, and I think he's one of the most entertaining things on the show at press time, but they won't let him win a match to save his life. Are they afraid of giving him credibility or something? I really didn't see a reason to give Ron Simmons the victory over him whatsoever. That just helps absolutely no one.

Also, what's the deal with him ripping on Steve Austin all the time? I see it all culminating with Austin showing up and stunning him eventually (in a segment which I'm guessing will be pretty funny), but again, that will help absolutely no one.

Can a guy get over by his character just being a straight up bitch? I think the crowd's getting into the character a bit and he's doing a fine job with it...but where do you go from here? Do you guys think they'll ever give Santino a legitimate push? Is he just filler while all of the big names are on suspension?

What do you think about Santino Marella?

Jordan
09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I really don't think Santino is the kind of wrestler who will be buried by losing. He is funny as hell and great on the mic so I really don't care if he loses.

Xero
09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I think he's annoying, like most of the current characters on WWE TV.

Why do you love so many annoying gimmicks?

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I think he's hilarious. What do you find annoying about him?

Xero
09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
His gimmick. I don't know, I guess I'm just tired of all the joke gimmicks. I wouldn't mind them so much if they outweighed the "real" gimmicks.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 08:48 PM
He's not really a joke gimmick, though. He's just a dude that's obsessed with his girlfriend, and he's a fucking prick. Touches on reality. You all know (well, maybe some of you guys around here don't) that really hot girl that is dating the biggest douchebag on earth for WHATEVER reason...I just love to hate him. I appreciate the work he's been doing.

Boogeyman is a joke gimmick. Santino Marella is hardly far-fetched.

Xero
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
When I say "joke" gimmick, I mean a gimmick that is played off for usually cheap laughs. Marella falls into that category.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 08:51 PM
To an extent, I suppose, but I like how Santino has that 'edge' to him when he gets really cheesed off. When he attacked Ron Simmons backstage after his loss, for instance. And his 'DAMN!' was priceless.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Also, not gonna lie, I mark pretty hard for his theme song.

Xero
09-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Like I said, I may be wamer to it if every other fucking gimmick/angle wasn't made for shits and giggles. The main fucking storyline is based around cheap laughs for fuck's sake.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Well, Santino's gimmick is based mostly on his love for Maria, I would say.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
ANYWAY, do you think they have any real intention of pushing him? Or is he just getting so much time due to the suspensions?

Xero
09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
He's getting so much time because Vince thinks it's funny.

Shadow
09-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Well, Santino's gimmick is based mostly on his love for Maria, I would say.

Which means he must die.

NO ONE BUT ME SHALL HAVE HER! NO ONE!

Jura
09-25-2007, 09:00 PM
He should be GM of Raw.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 09:01 PM
He definitely should not be GM of Supercuts, though.

Kane Knight
09-25-2007, 09:04 PM
I can solve the problem with four words:

It's-A-Me, Mario!

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 09:11 PM

It's-A-Me, Mario!

The plumber gimmick didn't work out too well last time they tried it.

http://www.wrestlingworld.it/Historical/wwhallofshame/tlhopper/tlhopper_file/image002.jpg

IC Champion
09-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I enjoy Santino, sure he's a stereotype, but what can you expect.

I think he plays the part very well, and is a pretty good heel.

Kane Knight
09-25-2007, 09:20 PM
The plumber gimmick didn't work out too well last time they tried it.

http://www.wrestlingworld.it/Historical/wwhallofshame/tlhopper/tlhopper_file/image002.jpg

Plus, magic mushrooms probably wouldn't sell in the WWE "Wellness"era.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 09:20 PM
I'd actually like to see Santino chase the Intercontinental title again to 'impress' Maria. I hated him with it the first time, but I think it could work now.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Plus, magic mushrooms probably wouldn't sell in the WWE "Wellness"era.

Jeff Hardy will not be happy to hear this.

Shadow
09-25-2007, 09:25 PM
JEFF DOESN'T DO SHROOMS!

Not after that weekend.

SammyG
09-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I enjoy watching Santino. He is pretty hilarious.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 09:28 PM
JEFF DOESN'T DO SHROOMS!

Not after that weekend.

Yeah, I'd say he's more into ex after that glow stick episode last night.

BUT I DIGRESS.

What's the furthest up the card do you think Santino can reach?

Ninti the Mad
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I enjoy watching Santino. He is pretty hilarious.

BigDaddyCool
09-25-2007, 09:32 PM
The real question is why does WWE spend so much time in making jokes instead of future stars to make money off of?

KingofOldSchool
09-25-2007, 09:38 PM
The real question is why does WWE spend so much time in making jokes instead of future stars to make money off of?

Because that would mean Cena and Trips would have job more often.

Kane Knight
09-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Jeff Hardy will not be happy to hear this.

Jeff is so out of touch, he'd miss it entirely.

Anybody Thrilla
09-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Think about all of the people that started off as 'joke' gimmicks, though. Even Kurt Angle was a knee-slapper to begin with. Cena's rapper gimmick was originally a joke.

Kane Knight
09-25-2007, 09:41 PM

Because Vince has a short attention span and likes cheap laughs.

Ninti the Mad
09-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Maybe they figure that joke characters will build up personality and mic work but overdo it to the point where noone will ever take the character seriously.

SammyG
09-25-2007, 09:53 PM
SAVE US .222

Johnny Vegas
09-25-2007, 09:56 PM
ABT is in my brain dude, i agree with all of this mmk

Johnny Vegas
09-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Maybe they figure that joke characters will build up personality
and mic work but overdo it to the point where noone will ever take the character
seriously.

well what about Kurt Angle?

Funky Fly
09-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Also, not gonna lie, I mark pretty hard for his theme song.
I agree with this post and the one above it.

Santino = is priceless

Skippord
09-25-2007, 11:42 PM
I really really dislike him

cool music though

The Genius
09-26-2007, 12:03 AM
i hate his theme song, but his DAMN segment 2 weeks ago totally redeemed him imo.

Mercury Bullet
09-26-2007, 01:24 AM
I don't think he well ever ascend beyond what he is not. He's fine for where he is at, but I just don't see him going anywhere.

Tommy Gunn
09-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Santino cracks me up, but their building towards getting him buried by a retired wrestler in a shit flop movie. Meanwhile he's getting buried by the great Ron Simmons, who gives one of the best spinebusters in the business, but again he's mostly retired and doesn't need any wins. Check your logic at the door folks.

Johnny Vegas
09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Kurt was pretty much the same. With all of the airtime he is getting, they must have plans for him. They actually need to put the strap him, have him win some good matches clean, and when he loses, make him find loopholes via Jericho '98. That would def. push him quicker up the ladder than ppl think. Him and Jeff would be a good program with good crowd attention cuz both are over. if Jeff can step his mic game up, could be BIG.

Stickman
09-26-2007, 12:52 PM
He's a loveable loser.

Kane Knight
09-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Kurt was pretty much the same. With all of the airtime he is getting, they must have plans for him.

I'm not so sure that's true.

Anybody Thrilla
09-26-2007, 04:15 PM
As much as I would love for it to be true, I have my doubts. Once the big names return from injury, I think we'll get a better gauge on Santino's future.

Johnny Vegas
09-26-2007, 04:31 PM
But see, that is the problem. The WWE needs to realize that these "Big Names" could get hurt again (Look at Kevin Nash's return) and who are you going to fall back on. I know that everybody isn't going to "make it" in the industry, but the guy's got the Charisma, Mic Skills (WHICH THE WWE IS DEFINITELY LACKING AS OF LATE), gets good heat from the crowd, and can is fucking entertaining. You mean to tell me that The Great Fucking Khali gets airtime and the guy can barely say his ABC's?

But let someone who has potential to make it in this business fall off the face of the earth. The death of WCW was the death of the WWE.

Johnny Vegas
09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Vince just needs to get near bankruptcy again so he can actually start giving a damn. I enjoy watching RAW, seriously, but if guys like Marella and CM are going to look like fucking jokes and never have their potential used, then if the WWE ended next week, it'd be an "i told you so" feeling from me.

Anybody Thrilla
09-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I agree with you for the most part, but even as die hard of a fan as I am, I have to be at least a tad skeptical that they will do the 'right' thing with Santino.

As far as Khali, his allure obviously lies in his ridiculous size. There are tons of factors that can get wrestlers over (either with the fans or with the backstage brass), and it isn't always necessary to possess all of them. It should help, but it isn't always imperative.

Kane Knight
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
But see, that is the problem. The WWE needs to realize that these "Big Names" could get hurt again (Look at Kevin Nash's return) and who are you going to fall back on. I know that everybody isn't going to "make it" in the industry, but the guy's got the Charisma, Mic Skills (WHICH THE WWE IS DEFINITELY LACKING AS OF LATE), gets good heat from the crowd, and can is fucking entertaining. You mean to tell me that The Great Fucking Khali gets airtime and the guy can barely say his ABC's?

But let someone who has potential to make it in this business fall off the face of the earth. The death of WCW was the death of the WWE.

Welcome to ten years ago.

The potential for injury has always been there, and the threat of immediate stars. The only real difference is that most of the "Big Names" were contemporary, as opposed to being fairly old.

WWE has always run things like this, as though big names are all that matter, and they will be around forever. It's just that some untimely injuries, untimely deaths, etc. have hit them in a way that makes it seem a little different. But it hasn't changed anything, it's just the child commenting on the Emperor's New Clothes.

Mr. Nerfect
10-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Santino Marella is entertaining as fuck. The guy is genuinely funny, which a lot of WWE talent forced into comedic roles don't exactly have going for them (see: Cena, John). The guy is also nowhere near as bad in the ring as people claim he is. He reminded me of Kurt Angle in some ways during his OVW stint, and now his personality reminds me of such. I think he can achieve big things.

Losing to The Sandman and Ron Simmons seem like crushing developments for Santino, but to his credit, he is surviving them, with his heat more than intact. He should eventually go over Ron Simmons, and when he does, it will hopefully lead to a more serious push.

This talk of The Condemned by Santino is obviously leading up to a Stunner from the Rattlesnake himself, but I'd much rather the WWE do something unexpected, and have Santino own Austin in their segment. Austin can't wrestle, but I'd mark to see Santino catch the foot of Austin when he goes for the Stunner, and then trip Austin and down to town with some MMA stuff, only for it to be broken up. Then his awesome music plays.

Dave Youell
10-01-2007, 04:47 AM

It's-A-Me, Mario!
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k64/slash616/da88e81f.jpg

Skippord
10-01-2007, 04:52 AM
I'd like to see him dead

Dave Youell
10-01-2007, 05:33 AM
I agree with everything Alienoid said, which is shocking for me I know

Y2Ant
10-01-2007, 11:23 AM
They should have him look for Maria backstage, only for him to find Hornswaggle who informs him that she is in another castle. :'(

Johnny Vegas
10-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Santino Marella is entertaining as fuck. The guy is genuinely funny, which a lot of WWE talent forced into comedic roles don't exactly have going for them (see: Cena, John). The guy is also nowhere near as bad in the ring as people claim he is. He reminded me of Kurt Angle in some ways during his OVW stint, and now his personality reminds me of such. I think he can achieve big things.

Losing to The Sandman and Ron Simmons seem like crushing developments for Santino, but to his credit, he is surviving them, with his heat more than intact. He should eventually go over Ron Simmons, and when he does, it will hopefully lead to a more serious push.

This talk of The Condemned by Santino is obviously leading up to a Stunner from the Rattlesnake himself, but I'd much rather the WWE do something unexpected, and have Santino own Austin in their segment. Austin can't wrestle, but I'd mark to see Santino catch the foot of Austin when he goes for the Stunner, and then trip Austin and down to town with some MMA stuff, only for it to be broken up. Then his awesome music plays.

Kurt Angle repeated, as i have stated previously. He could do wonders in TNA too. He just needs a good rub to get him to "superstar" status.

Mr. Nerfect
10-02-2007, 06:35 AM
I am yet to see RAW, but by the sounds of it, his stuff with Val Venis was hilarious. "You made a movie about Shrek, and I will never forgive you for what you did to that donkey." :lol: "You can make a movie with me, Maria, or you can make a movie about making love to Santino...Superbad." :lol:

Honestly, Val Venis vs. Santino Marella is one of those programs that the under-card needs. Some fun programs with a story and a series of good matches attached. The WWE should just not lose sight of the Ron Simmons program.

Mr Regal
10-02-2007, 06:44 AM
He was shit when he first arrived. I don't really watch much but i have caught a few segments with him since he turned heel and he is a very appealing douche bag. He and Regal should be given the time others waste on air.

Dave Youell
10-02-2007, 06:47 AM
No one has ever doubted the powers of William Regal, I love his new hair BTW, plus for some reason, recently he's been reminding me of Sean Bean alot

Mr. Nerfect
10-02-2007, 06:48 AM
I think Santino should win a King of the Ring tournament next year.

Mr. Nerfect
10-02-2007, 06:50 AM
No one has ever doubted the powers of William Regal, I love his new hair BTW, plus for some reason, recently he's been reminding me of Sean Bean alot

Regal's new hair is awesome, for reasons I cannot verbalise. It is just so fucking cool. I wouldn't mind seeing William Regal turn into a badass babyface, like he was teasing during the Triple H/Eugene program.

Dave Youell
10-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Regal's new hair is awesome, for reasons I cannot verbalise. It is just so fucking cool. I wouldn't mind seeing William Regal turn into a badass babyface, like he was teasing during the Triple H/Eugene program.
Regal's hair reminds me of when Homer got that hair tonic, towards the end where he styled it all combed back but with volume.

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/screenshots/s2/7f02_020.jpg

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/screenshots/s2/7f02_029.jpg

Mr Regal
10-02-2007, 07:00 AM
That is so spot on :lol:

Mr. Nerfect
10-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I would not oppose to William Regal winning some kind of contest between Armando Estrada, Vickie Guerrero and himself, and becoming the General Manager of all-three brands. Fuck, make someone else the General Manager (Mick Foley?), and then have William Regal become "Commissioner" of all three brands, and show up as the General Managers' superior. Have him hang around Vince and Coach all the time, and it will be comedy gold. Have him wrestle matches here and there, too.

I just want to see more William Regal, dammit. :mad:

Mr. Nerfect
10-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Also, Dave, I'd have never noticed that Homer Simpson thing, so I am glad you did. It is quite an accurate comparison. William Regal's hair is so fucking awesome. I'm not afraid to gay it up for William Regal.

Dave Youell
10-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Regal generally is comedy gold, the most recent best case, dancing with Cryme Tyme, I was pissing myself laughing when he was dancing, his facials are the best in the WWE

Not quite sure why I keep talking about Regal in a Santino thread, awww waht the fuck. Regal for President!

Stickman
10-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I am loving Santino.

DAMN iNATOR
10-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Yesterday: “Marella (and Maria) at the Movies”
Next Monday: “M(ozz)arella at the Pizza Parlor”.

Loose Cannon
10-02-2007, 03:06 PM
yea, Santino's losses are not even hurting him. He's a guy that can keep losing and still be over as long as he gets mic time