PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling games and CAWS

Kane Knight
10-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I've gotta say, be it TNA or SVR or whatever, I wouldn't mind the lack of roster options if we had more (and sometimes better) creation options. I mostly posted this because of the "Each profile will have sixteen slots" thing from TNA.

16?

Really, I find this problem in most games, though. SVR's got more, but still, if you want to expand your rosters, you're going to run out of CAW slots. The DoR series was also bad in this respect, but at least the CAWS looked like they fit in with the game.

CAW seems to be one of the preferred options, and it seems shit on in almost every available game.

Kalyx triaD
10-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I never understood why you couldn't have as many as your memory could hold.

U-Warrior
10-14-2007, 10:38 AM
FirePro Returns - 500 CAW slots. All fit in with default rosters.

Xero
10-14-2007, 11:46 AM
I never understood why you couldn't have as many as your memory could hold.
Yeah, really. And now with hard drives as the primary saving medium (or becoming so) it should be close to an unlimited amount.

Nowhere Man
10-14-2007, 04:22 PM
The thing that drives me insane about the CAW mode in the SvR games is how they leave out simple stuff that you might need for doing certain wrestlers, but then add in heaps of ridiculous bullshit that no one is ever going to use. The fact that you can't move designs over certain places without it getting blurred out or hitting an invisible wall is extremely annoying too.

Eh, maybe it's just because I'm not good at making CAWs in the first place.

Xero
10-14-2007, 04:27 PM
If THQ ever lost the WWE license I'd love to see them release something in the same vein of FPW, and make it CAW and fantasy based. It would also allow them to add stuff that makes sense and would improve the game but WWE would prevent from going in.

That's why FP is so deep and awesome, it doesn't have any companies restricting what they put in.

Kane Knight
10-14-2007, 04:32 PM
The thing that drives me insane about the CAW mode in the SvR games is how they leave out simple stuff that you might need for doing certain wrestlers, but then add in heaps of ridiculous bullshit that no one is ever going to use. The fact that you can't move designs over certain places without it getting blurred out or hitting an invisible wall is extremely annoying too.

Eh, maybe it's just because I'm not good at making CAWs in the first place.

Naw, it's a complaint of most, even though there are workarounds.

What cheeses me off is that they've taken out, for example, so many hairstyles, but still leave in Goku Hair.

Hanso Amore
10-14-2007, 05:10 PM
For retarded losers, there are tons of comic book and cartoon shit (horns for fuck sake?)

But yet I can only chooe many 2 good hair styles, have to MAke my own tights (I miss being able to use pre-made things, like in here comes the PAIN)

I think CAW died with SVR, its only gotten worse.

Xero
10-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Some of the hair in the SvR series looks like the default shit they had for the original SmackDown! games, just higher rez. Matty as hell.

Kane Knight
10-15-2007, 12:17 PM
For retarded losers, there are tons of comic book and cartoon shit (horns for fuck sake?)

But yet I can only chooe many 2 good hair styles, have to MAke my own tights (I miss being able to use pre-made things, like in here comes the PAIN)

I think CAW died with SVR, its only gotten worse.

Not only that, but a single letter or tat eliminates you from using your CAWs online. So now you have to have two sets of wrestlers (One online and one off) or decide whether you want your wrestlers online or to have detail. Talk about fucking retarded.

DoR's CAW looked better, but had even less. No real layer options, no entrance attire (Even though wrestlers had them in some cases), feweroptions, fewer placement options and alteration choices, and so on.

El Fangel
10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't like how the caws are all listed at the end, thier names should intergate with the set roster on the game, and I really wish that the faces, and pics did not look so damn shitty.

Oh and when loading the picture for the match your caw shows up like 5 minutes late, you used to be able to "fix" by waiting to load, going to match rules, and back and it would be perfect.

Kane Knight
10-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't like how the caws are all listed at the end, thier names should intergate with the set roster on the game, and I really wish that the faces, and pics did not look so damn shitty.

Oh and when loading the picture for the match your caw shows up like 5 minutes late, you used to be able to "fix" by waiting to load, going to match rules, and back and it would be perfect.

Being able to make a screen shot that looks like the real superstars would rock.

darkpower
10-15-2007, 05:50 PM
I don't like how the caws are all listed at the end, thier names should intergate with the set roster on the game

To be fair to them, though, I think they do that for sorting purposes (so you can find your CAW better, knowing where it is exactly instead of having to sort through just where the game put them in a list of 50).

They could give you an option TO do something like that, though, to sort them that way, though I think the CAW sort is better to actually FIND your CAW.

darkpower
10-15-2007, 06:05 PM
There are many things that I would want them to change for the CAWs (as it pertains to the game itself, I keep wanting them to bring back the roster modification option from HCTP where you could send someone to SD or RAW in season mode, yet they probably never will do that for us):

Bring back the Unknown Gender. Along with my selfish reason to make my CWE women anime characters go up against the male WWE stars (they were equals in that fanfic), but wouldn't it be nice to see one of John Cena's "girlie fans" suddenly go all ape shit on him because she was tired of seeing him on TV...AND KICK HIS ASS?!! (Again, just some selfish move on my part, but I think I'm not the only one anymore that misses that option).
Stop taking away all of the options that you gave us for Know Your Role, SYM and especially HCTP. Stop giving us so many shitty options that has already been said here, and give us something that we can actually use to create a serious contender.
I don't know if this was implimented in 07 or not, but if it wasn't, give us a create a move, so we can give our wrestlers their own moves and holds. Not tough to do, really, just let us use parts of existing holds.
CUSTOM THEMES!! Enough said.
CUSTOM MOVIES!! See above.
Everything on sliders instead of generic choices. Let us make them as fat or as skinny, lean, muscular, as we desire.Yeah, I'm not sure what was in 07 and what wasn't, since I was boycotting that one because of how utterly boring the CAW system had become in that, but hopefully THQ will increase the customality (if that is a word) of the series so it will become the greatness that was HCTP once more.

Lord-Of-Darkness
10-15-2007, 06:42 PM
You know, I'm glad custom themes etc made it in, but the thing that bothers me most is the clothing. Why can't they make CAW clothing reaslistic?

A game(or series of games) that comes to mind are the Def Jam games, with their create mode. Yeah sure the layering options weren't the most advanced, but the clothes looked realistic. They moved when the character moved etc. They fitted in with the actual characters of the game.

Would it really hurt them to have open shirts flow when the wrestler walks? Or maybe if a character wears a cap or sunglasses to the ring, to enable them to be knocked off by a few punches?

The same principle goes for facial hair too, and using def jam as another example, the style of beards worked. If SVR adapted this concept of 3d/realistic facial hair, and combined it with their layering, it'd work out fine.

I also have the same complaint I hear alot from KK(although a lot of you probably share the opinion) is that the disc space and power of consoles is improving, yet SVR seems to like taking away CAW options, instead of improving on them or adding to them.

So yeah, I'm not too bothered about loading screens or create a move, as fun as they are. I'd just like my CAW to have the same level of detail as the normal roster.

Kalyx triaD
10-15-2007, 07:54 PM
And I'd like to set the exact time my CAW comes out to the ramp in sync with his theme music. DoR did this... twice in its series.

Funky Fly
10-16-2007, 02:13 AM
You know, I'm glad custom themes etc made it in, but the thing that bothers me most is the clothing. Why can't they make CAW clothing reaslistic?

A game(or series of games) that comes to mind are the Def Jam games, with their create mode. Yeah sure the layering options weren't the most advanced, but the clothes looked realistic. They moved when the character moved etc. They fitted in with the actual characters of the game.

Would it really hurt them to have open shirts flow when the wrestler walks? Or maybe if a character wears a cap or sunglasses to the ring, to enable them to be knocked off by a few punches?

The same principle goes for facial hair too, and using def jam as another example, the style of beards worked. If SVR adapted this concept of 3d/realistic facial hair, and combined it with their layering, it'd work out fine.

I also have the same complaint I hear alot from KK(although a lot of you probably share the opinion) is that the disc space and power of consoles is improving, yet SVR seems to like taking away CAW options, instead of improving on them or adding to them.

So yeah, I'm not too bothered about loading screens or create a move, as fun as they are. I'd just like my CAW to have the same level of detail as the normal roster.
Actually, the clothes in Def Jam ARE real. I was kinda surprised when some of the clothes I own were available in the game.

Anyway, I don't see why they don't just incorporate a lot of the pre-existing stuff from DoR into Smackdown's CAW. How hard is it to import stuff that they own the code for into one of their other games? Smackdown's setup is decent enough (love that layering), but their options are so ridiculously lacking it makes me want to cry.

Like Kalyx said, I'd also like to see DoR's entrance timing introduced. Being able to time the exact moment the wrestler steps out adds a lot to the entrance.

One other thing I'd like is custom soundtracks. Every year, the background music gets worse and worse. Either kill the guy who chooses the music or let us pick our own, damnit.

Hanso Amore
10-16-2007, 06:54 AM
And I'd like to set the exact time my CAW comes out to the ramp in sync with his theme music. DoR did this... twice in its series.

AMEN! I am sick of them giving theme options that have a 15-20 second intro and the guy is in the ring when the music starts. This it vital with custom themes.

Hanso Amore
10-16-2007, 06:57 AM
One other thing I'd like is custom soundtracks. Every year, the background music gets worse and worse. Either kill the guy who chooses the music or let us pick our own, damnit.

I agree here, Although I didnt hate last years, but there was only like 5 songs, and they looped. and the song changes like every menu change. it is better last year than ever, that is not saying much. It beats listening to Across the Nation all the time, or the old SD theme!

Kane Knight
10-16-2007, 05:21 PM
There are many things that I would want them to change for the CAWs (as it pertains to the game itself, I keep wanting them to bring back the roster modification option from HCTP where you could send someone to SD or RAW in season mode, yet they probably never will do that for us):

Bring back the Unknown Gender. Along with my selfish reason to make my CWE women anime characters go up against the male WWE stars (they were equals in that fanfic), but wouldn't it be nice to see one of John Cena's "girlie fans" suddenly go all ape shit on him because she was tired of seeing him on TV...AND KICK HIS ASS?!! (Again, just some selfish move on my part, but I think I'm not the only one anymore that misses that option).
Stop taking away all of the options that you gave us for Know Your Role, SYM and especially HCTP. Stop giving us so many shitty options that has already been said here, and give us something that we can actually use to create a serious contender.
I don't know if this was implimented in 07 or not, but if it wasn't, give us a create a move, so we can give our wrestlers their own moves and holds. Not tough to do, really, just let us use parts of existing holds.
CUSTOM THEMES!! Enough said.
CUSTOM MOVIES!! See above.
Everything on sliders instead of generic choices. Let us make them as fat or as skinny, lean, muscular, as we desire.Yeah, I'm not sure what was in 07 and what wasn't, since I was boycotting that one because of how utterly boring the CAW system had become in that, but hopefully THQ will increase the customality (if that is a word) of the series so it will become the greatness that was HCTP once more.

Entrance themes are in for 360 in the new verssion. Movies should be done, as well, because a movie editor would NOT be hard.

The Unknown Gender would be cool, because I have one "mysterious" character from "Parts Unknown." I make "him" with default male stats.

On the other hand, most of my issues would be solved if they let women rassle in storymode and so on.

I agree with pretty much everything else, too: More choices, not less. Sliders for more control. More, more, more. Better, better, better.

darkpower
10-19-2007, 03:42 AM
The Unknown Gender would be cool, because I have one "mysterious" character from "Parts Unknown." I make "him" with default male stats.

So, basically, you were creating the Ultimate Warrior? :shifty:

Kane Knight
10-19-2007, 11:06 AM
...Well, he DID hate muslims.

DaveBrawl
10-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Or maybe if a character wears a cap or sunglasses to the ring, to enable them to be knocked off by a few punches?

The sad part is, if I remember correctly, Smackdown 2 on the PS1 let you do this didn't it? I seem to remember the Road Dogg having a hat you could knock off by hitting him a few times, then the option disappeared the next game. I think you could even choose if it stayed on or would come off on your CAW.

Kane Knight
10-19-2007, 03:01 PM
That would be pretty awesome, actually. Kinda like how versions of CAWS let you take off an armband for the "People's Elbow."

DaveBrawl
10-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Exactly, maybe if they could ever integrate the whole attack during an intro feature in one of these games you could tie them up in their own jacket and get a couple quick hits in before they get free.

Attacking during the intro was an N64 feature, and granted with today's high deatiled intros it would take a lot of programming, but they have a whole year or more to do it and most of the roster is just carried over from game to game with minor graphic updates.

Kane Knight
10-19-2007, 06:25 PM
It's not particularly the intros that are the problem, but the way they model the characters, I think.