PDA

View Full Version : The 10 most important moments in televised wrestling history.

FourFifty
10-18-2007, 02:47 AM
The other day I was at work and I made it a point to avoid work. My mind wandered and I came up with what I believe to be the 10 most important moments in televised wrestling history. You might agree with this, and you might not. I just thought I’d take a moment to type it out and share with you my views on the 10 most important moments in televised wrestling history.

Oh, and by no means are they in any order. It’s impossible to figure out which one is number one because some moments had an instant impact, while others had a lasting impact.

The Birth of Austin 3:16
First and foremost if I have to explain this one then you’re at the wrong message boards. Steve Austin almost single handedly caused a huge swell in wrestling’s popularity, causing the last great boom period. Now I’m sure the writers, the bookers, the promoters, and the other wrestlers were also a huge part of this the attitude era but it couldn’t have been created if it wasn’t for Austin 3:16 saying I just whipped your ass.
Austin’s feuds with Vince McMahon, The Rock, Triple H, HBK, Mick Foley, and others solidified an era. To this day the rattlesnake persona is the quintessential badass of pro wrestling.

Hulk Hogan beating Andre The Giant at WrestleMania 3
Hulkamania was steadily jogging at this point in time, not quite running wild. It could have been a foot note that we’d have forgotten about like Chyna holding the IC title, Eugene’s three second long heel turn, or Paul Roma in the Four Horsemen. But then fuel was thrown on the fire. When The Irresistible Force picked up The Immoveable Object everyone took notice. Hulkamania was something before WrestleMania 3, but this made Hulkamania, the biggest thing to come down wrestling’s pike, a draw to millions of fans 20 years later.

Hulk Hogan’s heel Turn
What happens when you take the industry’s top face for the past decade and have him turn his back on the fans? A thing of pure genius. Millions of Hulkamaniacs were stabbed in the back. This was the beginning of the biggest thing WCW ever saw. The formation of the n.W.o was stellar.
Yea, in the end the n.W.o got too big for its own good, and then it seemed everyone had their own faction of the n.W.o. Hollywood, Wolfpac, Latino, Japan, Senior Citizen, ob/gyn… Many people could argue that the n.W.o did more harm for WCW than good, but much like Austin in the WWE, the n.W.o made WCW’s boom period big.

The First Monday Nitro
This was the scene where Daffy Duck looks at Bugs Bunny and says “This Means War!” WCW directly competing with the World Wrestling Federation was nothing more than a slap in the face with an empty glove.
Having Lex Luger come back to WCW for the occasion was a huge brick in that glove. In my mind this was the start of the Monday Night Wars. Dozens of wrestlers throughout the years went from one promotion to another. Everyone wanted to keep quiet about when a big name was going to show up at the rival’s show.

The First Monday Night Raw
For close to 15 years every Monday the brain child of Vince McMahon has been shown on tv. This all began with one single Monday Night Raw. One hour which planted the seeds that changed wrestling’s history. Through the hills and the valleys all wrestling fans can count on is that for better or worse we’ll have wrestling on Monday nights.

Andy Kaufman vs. Jerry Lawler
This is, without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest work shoot the industry has ever seen. In an attempt to blur the lines between kayfabe and reality, the Intergender Champion of the World got hospitalized by the King of Memphis. This was a great moment in wrestling history. The bitch slap on David Letterman was classic. I think that every single work shoot owes any success to Andy Kaufman and Jerry Lawler for helping to blur the lies of fantasy and reality.

Shane Douglass throws down the NWA title
But let’s stop talking about works, and talk about shoots. In a move that shocked the wrestling world shortly after winning the NWA title Shane Douglass turned his back on the NWA. I consider this promo the most important promo in modern wrestling history because this opened the gates for ECW.
While it was short lived ECW was revolutionary.
ECW brought in the first generation of internet wrestling fans, it redefined hardcore for mainstream audiences, it helped groom wrestlers who went on to achieve stardom, and it showed the wrestling world that the underdog can have a hell of a bite.
The problems that led to its downfall weren’t creative, but fiscal.

Mankind wins the WWF title.
Nothing about the actual title run that Mick Foley had was great. His matches weren’t five star, his promos were goofy, he never picked up or handed off the torch. What exactly made this noteworthy, let alone getting a spot in the top 10 moments?
Larry Zybisco.
This is a case where the messenger will be shot.
Before Monday Night Raw went live every week the WCW announcers would tell you what happened on Raw. Monday Nitro started an hour before Raw so they had that time to either hook you into Nitro or turn you off from Raw.
Larry Zybisco publicly congregated Mick Foley on his title win. He made a sarcastic comment about how Mick Foley puts asses in seats. Well it did Larry.
That week WWF finally regained control of the ratings war.

The First WrestleMania
You can’t talk about wrestling without talking about WrestleMania. This proved that not only will people watch wrestling, but they’ll even PAY for it!
Now why won’t I talk about the first Starcade? Starcade aired before the first WrestleMania. The biggest difference is Starcade was a wrestling card. WrestleMania was a spectacle. Starcade appealed to wrestling fans. WrestleMania appealed to more than just wrestling fans.

The Montreal Screwjob
10 years later and the fan boys are still up in arms over this one.
Each side knows that happened, and each side has their own story to tell. The Hart fans will tell you that Vince promised Bret that he could hand over the title the next night. The Kliq fans say Bret was a greedy bastard who got what he had coming to him.
Even other wrestlers have their point of view on it. Mick Foley didn’t show up to work that Monday out of protest, and The Big Show just plainly said Bret screwed Bret.
10 years later HBK is still hated in parts of Canada, and 10 years later, what’s more than this, Bret is still bitching about it.

Honorable Mentions

The First SmackDown
Often seen as WWE’s b-show today, we’ve had some awesome memories on Thursday nights. SmackDown was needed for WWE’s brand split, which helped make room for more wrestlers.

The Last Nitro
This truly marked the end of an era. No, this wasn’t putting a nail in any coffin. More like going to WCW’s wake.

HBK vs. Razor Ramon, ladder match
There were ladder matches before this one, but this was the first successful one. It paved the way for every wrestler who has ever gotten on a ladder.

Bash at the Beach, 2001
IF WCW wasn’t on life support that would have been the best work in WCW’s history.

For all the works, shoots, bumps, mistakes, and whatnot we've seen I'm sure there are some events I can't recall. However, these in mind next time you watch wrestling, because you might be watching history in the making.

Blitz
10-18-2007, 02:50 AM
Mankind wins the WWF title.
Nothing about the actual title run that Mick Foley had was great. His matches weren’t five star, his promos were goofy, he never picked up or handed off the torch. What exactly made this noteworthy, let alone getting a spot in the top 10 moments?
Larry Zybisco.
This is a case where the messenger will be shot.
Before Monday Night Raw went live every week the WCW announcers would tell you what happened on Raw. Monday Nitro started an hour before Raw so they had that time to either hook you into Nitro or turn you off from Raw.
Larry Zybisco publicly congregated Mick Foley on his title win. He made a sarcastic comment about how Mick Foley puts asses in seats. Well it did Larry.
That week WWF finally regained control of the ratings war.
*Tony Schiavone.

#1-norm-fan
10-18-2007, 03:20 AM
The Shane/Vince segment from the last Nitro should definitely be in the top 10.

Mister Sinister
10-18-2007, 03:52 AM
I think ECW ONS 1 should of atleast been on the honerable mentions.

Mr. Nerfect
10-18-2007, 05:08 AM
The only two I would add are Stone Cold's heel turn, and Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero standing in the ring to close WrestleMania.

Austin's heel turn pretty much overdosed the Attitude era with attitude. My uncle stopped watching because "Stone Cold didn't drink beer anymore." Perhaps they should have had a protagonist for Austin right away, but it didn't really matter. The Rattlesnake's venomous turn caused the Attitude era to begin its death.

Chris Benoit winning the World Heavyweight Championship from Triple H (by submission, no less), was the last truly great moment in televised professional wrestling. When he and the WWE Champion, Eddie Guerrero, were celebrating in the ring, the book on wrestling could have been closed. The underdogs had overcome the politics, their apparent limitations, and became World Champions. It was proof for just a shining second that all could be right in the wrestling world.

Theo Dious
10-18-2007, 06:23 AM
The only two I would add are Stone Cold's heel turn, and Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero standing in the ring to close WrestleMania.

Yet another commentary on how Benoit's last hours will keep him off of such lists for years to come.

Hanso Amore
10-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Austin's heel turn pretty much overdosed the Attitude era with attitude. My uncle stopped watching because "Stone Cold didn't drink beer anymore." Perhaps they should have had a protagonist for Austin right away, but it didn't really matter. The Rattlesnake's venomous turn caused the Attitude era to begin its death.

Chris Benoit winning the World Heavyweight Championship from Triple H (by submission, no less), was the last truly great moment in televised professional wrestling. When he and the WWE Champion, Eddie Guerrero, were celebrating in the ring, the book on wrestling could have been closed. The underdogs had overcome the politics, their apparent limitations, and became World Champions. It was proof for just a shining second that all could be right in the wrestling world.

I dont even think those are close. From the list above, remove a moment and the Wrestling world would change. Remove these moments and you would just have one less a memory of Beniot/Eddie. it did nothing for the Business, and changed nothing.

I would add Black Sunday....the WWE beginning its National reign.

I would add The Formation of the 4 Horseman, as they started the entire idea of a stable. Without them, there owuld have been no NWO or DX.

BTW, 1000 Posts!

Mr. Nerfect
10-18-2007, 07:39 AM
I dont even think those are close. From the list above, remove a moment and the Wrestling world would change. Remove these moments and you would just have one less a memory of Beniot/Eddie. it did nothing for the Business, and changed nothing.

I would add Black Sunday....the WWE beginning its National reign.

I would add The Formation of the 4 Horseman, as they started the entire idea of a stable. Without them, there owuld have been no NWO or DX.

BTW, 1000 Posts!

Eddie/Benoit was just a good moment. It makes my list because it might be the last great thing the WWE ever do.

The Austin thing definitely deserves to be mentioned, though. Maybe not for positive reasons (although I personally liked the turn). The Attitude era was suddenly on its head. The guy who started it all by getting doing whatever the fuck he wanted, and doing anything to become WWE Champion closed it all by doing the exact same thing. WrestleMania X-7 was a peak for the WWE it may never reach again. The closing moments where pretty much the Attitude era cannibalizing itself. It also had a great affect on outside viewers.

I wouldn't include the Horsemen, in all due respect, because no one outside wrestling gives a crap about them. Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold Steve Austin became icons with their contributions. The Horsemen are legends within the game, but that's about it. I also don't see how they should get credit for the nWo and D-Generation X. Were either of those stables really inspired by the Horsemen?

Hanso Amore
10-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Eddie/Benoit was just a good moment. It makes my list because it might be the last great thing the WWE ever do.

The Austin thing definitely deserves to be mentioned, though. Maybe not for positive reasons (although I personally liked the turn). The Attitude era was suddenly on its head. The guy who started it all by getting doing whatever the fuck he wanted, and doing anything to become WWE Champion closed it all by doing the exact same thing. WrestleMania X-7 was a peak for the WWE it may never reach again. The closing moments where pretty much the Attitude era cannibalizing itself. It also had a great affect on outside viewers.

I wouldn't include the Horsemen, in all due respect, because no one outside wrestling gives a crap about them. Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold Steve Austin became icons with their contributions. The Horsemen are legends within the game, but that's about it. I also don't see how they should get credit for the nWo and D-Generation X. Were either of those stables really inspired by the Horsemen?

All groups wre inspired by the Horseman, they were the first non random guys together group, the first consistent unit. Up until then it was just randoms managed by the same guy. They changed the ways stables existed.

Johnny Vegas
10-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Everyone forgot about Scott Hall showing up on Nitro?

Goldberg beating Hogan wouldn't be on the list, but should be an honorable mention.

And FourFifty, wasn't that BATB 2000?

But good list, though. :y:

FourFifty
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Yea, I'll admit I made a few mistakes on that list... with dates and names... I would like to publicly say "My Bad"

Hall showing up at Nitro wasn't on that list because that was just following suit with the first Nitro with a talent showing up at the "rival's" show. That can go up there with The Radicalz showing up on Monday Night Raw.

As of Chris and Eddie in the ring with their titles that wasn't ground breaking. That was very touching, very memorible, but it had no impact on the wrestling world aside from giving the fans stock footage for their Chris and Eddie tributes.

Steve Austin's heel turn wasn't as awesome as Hogan's heel turn. While it made for great tv I don't recall an effect quite like Austin 3:16.

The segment with Vince and Shane wasn't on my list because the last Nitro was an honorable mention already.

Arn Anderson saying his group were like the four horsemen should have been on my list, if nothing else as an honorable mention. I'm a huge Flair fan, and I'm pretty shocked I forgot that moment.

Johnny Vegas
10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I guess to me the Scott Hall thing was pretty extraordinary because it was never really done before in that manner. It made you feel like something BIG was going to happen in the near future, which it obviously did. I can still remember the commentators "breaking character" to sell it, and they did ok.

Theo Dious
10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Also, you left the Fingerpoke of Doom off of there.

ozzman6669
10-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Something that deserve good mention is D-X invading WCW cause it did'nt just show effect on WWE but on WCW as well.

Stickman
10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I think ECW ONS 1 should of atleast been on the honerable mentions.

Memorable yes, Important, not really.

St. Jimmy
10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
#1. The Wedding of Billy and Chuck.

BigDaddyCool
10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
The real #2 is when Mea Young gave birth to a hand.

Johnny Vegas
10-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Something that deserve good mention is D-X invading WCW cause it did'nt just show effect on WWE but on WCW as well.

You know what, i think that this happening did more for the WWF/E than they know. That was the first time, to me, that the WWF displayed the "cut-throat" attitude that WCW pulled a year or two prior. Stuff has been done on tv, in their own venues, but not at the other's.

Mooияakeя™
10-18-2007, 05:57 PM
The real #2 is when Mea Young gave birth to a hand.

OMFG. Seriously, I have always wondered. Really. I mean, REALLY what were they thinking? I just really don't get it. Never have, never will. Did they run out of ideas in that stupid angle? Or just think it was funny, had a private joke and forgot to tell the world?

BTW, good list 450. Some good memories indeed and of course yes, a few maybe missing, but you can't please everyone! ;)

The One
10-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Not a bad list, I'm not sure I agree with a lot of it as most of it seemed very short sighted, but that's just me.

Johnny Vegas
10-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Also, im surprised that no one mentioned the Undertaker v. Mankind Hell in a Cell match.

Nark Order
10-18-2007, 11:25 PM
So, when you say 'televised' I think on cable. Most of those were PPV moments.

DrA
10-19-2007, 12:14 AM
To my knowledge, PPV events are televised?

FourFifty
10-19-2007, 12:42 AM
So, when you say 'televised' I think on cable. Most of those were PPV moments.

When I said "televised" I meant it was on a tv somewhere. Local tv, PPV, Cable, Closed Circut, whatever.

FourFifty
10-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Also, im surprised that no one mentioned the Undertaker v. Mankind Hell in a Cell match.

Awesome- Yes
Memorible- Yes
Great TV- Yes
Fucking Hardcore- Yes
Made a Lasting Impact- No

All due respect to Foley (and there's a hell of a lot there) wrestling would be on the same path as it is now without Foley getting thrown off a the cell.

Johnny Vegas
10-19-2007, 01:05 AM
i guess. but it was just one of those moments where you had to like call one of your boys up and was on some "oh shit, srsly" tbh

thedamndest
10-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Honorable Mention: The Rockers break up/HBK is born.

Londoner
10-19-2007, 05:45 AM
I would say ONS1 was important, it helped to show people like me who never got the chance to see ECW, what it was like, and it couldn't have gone out any better. The real ECw was dead after that as far as im concerned, Vince is wasting his time pissing on ECW in this way. So yeah add ONS1 to that list.

Theo Dious
10-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Honorable Mention: The cowardly Marty Janetty attempts to dive through a window to escape the wrath of Shawn Michaels/HBK is born.

Fixed.

Scott Delaney
10-19-2007, 10:06 AM
The Montreal Screwjob
Each side knows that happened, and each side has their own story to tell. The Hart fans will tell you that Vince promised Bret that he could hand over the title the next night. The Kliq fans say Bret was a greedy bastard who got what he had coming to him.
Even other wrestlers have their point of view on it. Mick Foley didn’t show up to work that Monday out of protest, and The Big Show just plainly said Bret screwed Bret.
10 years later HBK is still hated in parts of Canada, and 10 years later, what’s more than this, Bret is still bitching about it.

The sad truth of the matter, is that Bret had TONS of chances to prove that he was the bigger man....and failed misreably. Instead of rising above those who criticised him, Bret continued to "defend himself" and take shots at his detractors....be it Ric Flair, HBK, Vince McMahon, etc. etc.

Any time Bret was given a chance to speak ill of HBK or Vince....he did.

As much as people can rag on HBK (he genuinely was a prick back in the day), atleast HBK has made a genuine opportunity to better himself...as a human being. In the WWE, HBK tries to lead by example and is actually a lockerroom leader. Considering his age, its remarkable what HBK can still do. Kudos to the man for attempting to find god. I used to think that HBK "finding god" was a crock, but he's proven me otherwise.

Bret on the other hand, just continues to attack people from his high horse....all the while, recently admitting that he was an adulterer.

Bret is a disgrace to Owen (RIP).

FourFifty
10-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I would say ONS1 was important, it helped to show people like me who never got the chance to see ECW, what it was like, and it couldn't have gone out any better. The real ECw was dead after that as far as im concerned, Vince is wasting his time pissing on ECW in this way. So yeah add ONS1 to that list.

I was tempted to put ONS1 on the list. It gave a new gen of wrestling fans a chance to see what ECW was all about. The no bullshit, in your fucking face, smashmouth style that made ECW what ECW was all about was still there!

However weeks later it went away. The first ONS was really a one night stand that went away, and we went back to Vince's formula. ONS1 was awesome. It showed that the soul of ECW lived.
Then Vince pulled the plug. ECW is now "We're letting the fans name it" and isn't much of a show anymore.
One Night Stand was fucking awesome, and it was a happy trip down memory lane even if they couldn't get Shane Douglas there. Great TV, One of my favorite memories, but in the long run it wasn't importiant.

Loose Cannon
10-19-2007, 02:15 PM
alright list. Some I agree with, some I don't. Austin 3:16 at KOTR was not a defining moment at all. Austin stunning McMahon was more historical then that. That moment defined what Ausitn 3:16 was all about.

Douglas throwing down the NWA Title was big, but not top ten worthy

First Raw, meh. Lots of TV shows have premiers. Nothing happened at all.

Bash of the Beach 2001 is just silly to have on there in any capacity.

FourFifty
10-19-2007, 02:40 PM
alright list. Some I agree with, some I don't. Austin 3:16 at KOTR was not a defining moment at all. Austin stunning McMahon was more historical then that. That moment defined what Ausitn 3:16 was all about.

In risk of sounding like jerk, make your own list.
Seriously- I can only see things from my point of view and I'd like to know what others think are the 10 most important televised events. I only know what I've seen. Maybe there were some awesome moments in WCW that I missed, or something in WWE that I forgot about.
Everyone has their own viewpoints, and I know I can't pleae everyone, so come on, people, what are your top 10?

Stickman
10-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Austin 3:16 signs were all over the place the next night on Raw were they not?

Loose Cannon
10-19-2007, 04:54 PM
no.

darkpower
10-19-2007, 06:24 PM
The Montreal Screwjob

You forgot one other detail in this.

This, in of itself, gave birth to the MR. McMahon character, since he then started using the phrase "Bret screwed Bret" or "Austin screwed Austin", he started getting heat, and his character became known for screwing faces out of titles and that. If it wasn't for that screwjob, I don't think Mr. McMahon would've happened.

darkpower
10-19-2007, 06:45 PM
A few other things to add to this list

BRIAN PILLMAN PULLS A GUN ON AUSTIN TO PROTECT HIS HOME AND HEALTH:
This was the beginning of the WWE "pushing the envelope" (I said this a few years ago, I'm feeling a sense of deja vu here), or, to put it simpily, the TRUE beginning of the "Attutide era". Many people were outraged that Vince would script something like that. If you don't remember what happened in the angle, Austin threatened to go to Pillman's house, who he already injured the knee of, after he got less than desirable interview venues and time. In response, Pillman brandished a gun in the middle of an interview, leg casted. No bullets were shot (though I thought it would've ended nicely with the cameras signing off and then you heard a gun shot going off), but for half of the broadcast, the feed mysteriously went dead.

Some called it the best RAW ever, some basically wanted Vince's head, but this was the first time Vince really took a chance and did something controversial on his show (in the family friendly type of way, I mean). Who would've thought that it would be the start of many things to come (and why not show this on 24/7? It was history).

THE LESNER/GOLDBERG WM20 MESS:
Not only did Lesner and Goldberg put on a less than perfect match, but EVERYTHING about it sucked. The entire angle they had originally set into the match fell apart with both Brock and Goldberg departing afterward. It became "what side would Austin take". Unfortunatly, you don't do a match like that, under those circumstances, with what would happen to each wrestler's stance in the company clear, IN THE MIDDLE OF NYC'S MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, ONE PLACE WHERE FANS NOT ONLY READ THE INTERNETS CONSTANTLY, BUT ARE NOT AFRAID TO SAY WHAT THEY REALLY THINK AND NOT CARE ABOUT KAYFABE ONE BIT!! The announcing for this, King/JR, was the WORST thing, too, since JR sounded like an idiot as always. It could've been saved if the announcing knew how to incorperate the chants into something more kayfabe than they did, but in the end, this turned out to be a disaster. It also made clear to Vince that there is another crowd that knows these things and you can't hide from them, especially in NY. The IWC got the biggest boost in crediablity at that moment.

ECW INVADES WWE:
Lawler invited ECW onto a WWE RAW in 97, and ECW took full advantage of the mainstream exposure, plugging the first ECW PPV, plugging the extreme style, and forming a small side angle of Lawler vs. ECW for a while. It was, for starters, a TRUE interpromotional angle. Secondly, this catapulted ECW into the mainstream and many of its stars into the spotlight. Even though ECW enjoyed much success in a smaller light before, the exposure it got on that night just took it off until the end of its days.

FourFifty
10-19-2007, 08:30 PM
You forgot one other detail in this.

This, in of itself, gave birth to the MR. McMahon character, since he then started using the phrase "Bret screwed Bret" or "Austin screwed Austin", he started getting heat, and his character became known for screwing faces out of titles and that. If it wasn't for that screwjob, I don't think Mr. McMahon would've happened.

.....I knew there was a point I forgot to make with the screwjob.....

Fox
10-21-2007, 03:39 AM

Especially considering that Bash at the Beach 2001 never happened... WCW was dead by then. There was a Bash at the Beach 2000, but surely you can't mean that god awful card.